|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11 and 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gideon's family not qualify for welfare?
(a) Because welfare was not established yet.
(b) Because of Gideon's wife's criminal record.
(c) Because Gideon makes too much money.
(d) Because of Gideon's criminal record.
2. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
(a) He doesn't understand the gravity of his situation.
(b) He is tried before he knows what is going on.
(c) He thinks he can do fine on his own.
(d) He cannot afford one.
3. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
(a) The moneybox was empty.
(b) The door lock was cut with bolt cutters.
(c) All the chairs and tables were tipped over.
(d) There were gunshots in the walls.
4. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
(a) Divorce proceedings.
(b) Traffic violations.
(c) Noise violations.
(d) Child custody case.
5. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which law school does John Hart Ely attend?
2. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should not be overconfident or ______________.
3. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
4. George Mantz of ____________ admits that his state's courts could soon follow the trend to appoint attorneys in all cases.
5. What amazes Jacob about appearing in the Supreme Court?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)