|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11 and 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
(a) Law schools would have to change curriculum.
(b) Riots in prisons all across America.
(c) Media interviews would overwhelm them.
(d) Mass filing of appeals from current prisoners.
2. What sentence did Gideon receive in his first trial?
(a) Maximum of five years in prison.
(b) Probation and time served.
(c) Minimum of five years in prison.
(d) A life sentence.
3. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Ruth Babineaux.
(b) Babs Devereaux.
(c) Yvette Mimieux.
(d) Tonya Robichaux.
4. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
(b) Shoe factory.
(c) Hardware store.
5. What amazes Jacob about appearing in the Supreme Court?
(a) The courtroom cameras.
(b) The huge number of people present.
(c) The informality of the proceedings.
(d) The quality of the furniture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
2. Most prisoners currently jailed without the benefit of an attorney do not have which of the following characteristics that Gideon possesses?
3. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
4. What is the name of another case in Florida that is similar to Gideon's regarding right to an attorney?
5. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)