|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group is Andy pleased to notice are not present at Bunny's party?
2. Who is Elvissa?
3. When Elvissa asks for a small moment that defines what it's like to be alive, what does Claire respond with?
4. What does Andy equate buying a house with in Chapter 25?
5. Who picks Andy up from the airport in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of the story Elvissa tells, "The Boy with the Hummingbird Eyes"?
2. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
3. In Chapter 17, what does Claire describe as her memory of life on earth?
4. In her story in Chapter 18, what does Elvissa notice about the apartment Curtis is staying at?
5. What types of people are in attendance at Bunny Hollander's New Year's Eve party?
6. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
7. When Andy and Tyler go shopping on Christmas Eve, why does Andy believe people are looking at them strangely?
8. How does Andy describe the MacArthurs in Chapter 20?
9. In Chapter 28, what do we find out was the reason Tobias was attracted to Claire?
10. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel Generation X. Why does Coupland choose Palm Springs as the setting for the novel? Why is it an appropriate setting to explore the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)