|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, how many women does Mr. MacArthur say he has dated in his life?
2. Who picks Andy up from the airport in Chapter 24?
3. What does Andy find Dag scooping out of the common pool in Chapter 29?
4. What is the title of Chapter 24?
5. Where does Elvissa grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire intend to do with the stick she found on the street in New York?
2. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
3. What is the significance of the title of the story Elvissa tells, "The Boy with the Hummingbird Eyes"?
4. In Chapter 20, what does Andy suggest is the best way to stop dogs from begging at the dinner table?
5. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
6. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
7. What does Andy do for his family on Christmas morning?
8. What does Andy tell Dag about a little Japanese girl he lived with in Chapter 29?
9. When Andy and Tyler go shopping on Christmas Eve, why does Andy believe people are looking at them strangely?
10. In Chapter 17, what does Dag explain will be his memory of life on earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel Generation X. Why does Coupland choose Palm Springs as the setting for the novel? Why is it an appropriate setting to explore the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Coupland's use of irony. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character Dag Bellinghausen. What are his defining character traits? What are his relationships with Andy and Claire like? Is Dag able to become a truth teller by the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)