|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 29, what does Dag say Bunny looks like?
2. What does Andy recall Tyler saying about the name "Andrew" in Chapter 24?
3. Where will Claire stay until she knows she'll be safe from radiation at home?
4. When Claire is storming out of his place, what word does Tobias use to describe her?
5. According to Andy's brother, Tyler, whose birthday is January 8th?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Andy and Tyler go shopping on Christmas Eve, why does Andy believe people are looking at them strangely?
2. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
3. How does Andy describe the MacArthurs in Chapter 20?
4. What does Claire intend to do with the stick she found on the street in New York?
5. Describe Bunny Hollander.
6. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
7. What does Andy tell Dag about a little Japanese girl he lived with in Chapter 29?
8. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
9. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
10. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel Generation X. Why does Coupland choose Palm Springs as the setting for the novel? Why is it an appropriate setting to explore the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of storytelling in Generation X. Why is telling stories such an important past-time for these characters? What are some recurring characteristics of the way they tell their stories? What do their stories reveal about them? What are the rules they have set for storytelling?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character Dag Bellinghausen. What are his defining character traits? What are his relationships with Andy and Claire like? Is Dag able to become a truth teller by the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)