|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 24?
2. What does Claire believe the stick she found will lead her to?
3. What color does Curtis say hummingbirds are particularly attracted to?
4. What local monument does Andy visit in Portland before heading to the airport to fly back to California?
5. What does Andy find Dag scooping out of the common pool in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy tell Dag about a little Japanese girl he lived with in Chapter 29?
2. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
3. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
4. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
5. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
6. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
7. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
8. What does Andy do for his family on Christmas morning?
9. How does Andy describe the MacArthurs in Chapter 20?
10. In Chapter 17, what does Claire describe as her memory of life on earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of materialism in Generation X. How do the main characters feel about materialism? In what way is materialism connected with the characters' families and the setting of the novel? What is a yuppie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Coupland's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism found in the novel? How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)