|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
2. On Christmas Eve, who does Andy's father shout at on the TV?
3. What does Claire say she always has trouble finding?
4. What does Andy find Dag scooping out of the common pool in Chapter 29?
5. Who shows up at the party to speak to Dag?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Claire describe as her memory of life on earth?
2. In Chapter 20, what does Andy suggest is the best way to stop dogs from begging at the dinner table?
3. How does Andy describe the MacArthurs in Chapter 20?
4. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
5. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
6. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
7. In Chapter 17, what does Dag explain will be his memory of life on earth?
8. What is the significance of the title of the story Elvissa tells, "The Boy with the Hummingbird Eyes"?
9. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
10. What types of people are in attendance at Bunny Hollander's New Year's Eve party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Claire Baxter. What are her defining character traits? What are her relationships like with Andy and Dag? What is her relationship like with Tobias and Elvissa? How does she grow throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of metaphor in Generation X. How does Coupland's use of metaphors enhance the narrative? How does the use of metaphors reiterate the key themes of the novel?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)