|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire say radiation has even more endurance than?
2. What does Tyler read in the car on the way back from his and Andy's Christmas Eve shopping trip?
3. In Chapter 25, what does Andy's father tell him he should get rid of "pronto"?
4. When Claire is storming out of his place, what word does Tobias use to describe her?
5. In Chapter 25, what is the reason Andy gives for his father's newfound health?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
2. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
3. What does Andy explain about his father's health in Chapter 25?
4. When Andy and Tyler go shopping on Christmas Eve, why does Andy believe people are looking at them strangely?
5. What is the significance of the title of the story Elvissa tells, "The Boy with the Hummingbird Eyes"?
6. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
7. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
8. What does Andy do for his family on Christmas morning?
9. In Chapter 28, what do we find out was the reason Tobias was attracted to Claire?
10. In her story in Chapter 18, what does Elvissa notice about the apartment Curtis is staying at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. How does it end? What happens to the protagonist at the end of the novel? What is the significance of this moment?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of Generation X, Andy Palmer. What are his defining character traits? What is he struggling with throughout the narrative? Describe his lifestyle and outlook on life. Is Andy truthful with himself and his friends? How does he progress throughout the novel?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)