|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elvissa do for a living?
2. In Chapter 20, how many women does Mr. MacArthur say he has dated in his life?
3. Which of the following is not included in Bunny's list of "what makes a party"?
4. What is Claire's brother's name?
5. Who shows up at the party to speak to Dag?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
2. Describe Bunny Hollander.
3. How does Elvissa get her name?
4. What is the significance of the title of the story Elvissa tells, "The Boy with the Hummingbird Eyes"?
5. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
6. In her story in Chapter 18, what does Elvissa notice about the apartment Curtis is staying at?
7. When Andy and Tyler go shopping on Christmas Eve, why does Andy believe people are looking at them strangely?
8. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
9. In Chapter 17, what does Claire describe as her memory of life on earth?
10. What does Claire intend to do with the stick she found on the street in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel Generation X. Why does Coupland choose Palm Springs as the setting for the novel? Why is it an appropriate setting to explore the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andy's, Claire's, and Dag's transformation. Do they all grow and transform equally? How do their personal transformations come about? How are their transformations conveyed to the reader? What symbols and metaphors does the author use to illustrate these important events?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the climax of the novel. What happens, and why is it significant? How does it impact the protagonist?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)