|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What TV character does Andy compare his brother Tyler to?
2. In Chapter 20, what does Dag tell Andy he wants to do with his future?
3. On Christmas Eve, who does Andy's father shout at on the TV?
4. In Chapter 23, what does Andy say he used to sow randomly in his parents' back yard?
5. What local monument does Andy visit in Portland before heading to the airport to fly back to California?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Coupland's use of imagery. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel? What is the meaning behind the imagery found at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of materialism in Generation X. How do the main characters feel about materialism? In what way is materialism connected with the characters' families and the setting of the novel? What is a yuppie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)