|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Andy's brother, Tyler, whose birthday is January 8th?
2. What kind of party has Dag arranged for he and Andy to work as bartenders at?
3. What does Andy equate buying a house with in Chapter 25?
4. What is Elvissa's real name?
5. Who picks Andy up from the airport in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
2. What does Andy tell Dag about a little Japanese girl he lived with in Chapter 29?
3. What does Claire intend to do with the stick she found on the street in New York?
4. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
5. In Chapter 28, what do we find out was the reason Tobias was attracted to Claire?
6. When Andy and Tyler go shopping on Christmas Eve, why does Andy believe people are looking at them strangely?
7. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
8. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
9. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
10. In Chapter 17, what does Dag explain will be his memory of life on earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the language of the novel. What is the meaning behind the title of the chapters? Discuss the unique language in the novel. How is the language a reflection of the lifestyles and attitudes of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the sun motif. What does sun and light represent in this novel? How do the three main characters view the sun? Do their views of the sun and light change as the novel progresses? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Coupland's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism found in the novel? How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)