|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tobias check in the rearview mirror of his car in Chapter 18?
2. Who is Elvissa?
3. What does Elvissa get a job as in Chapter 21?
4. What does Dag call and tell Andy has made the news in Palm Springs?
5. What does Tobias say his memory of life on Earth is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of people are in attendance at Bunny Hollander's New Year's Eve party?
2. What does Andy explain about his father's health in Chapter 25?
3. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
4. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
5. What does Claire intend to do with the stick she found on the street in New York?
6. What does Andy tell Dag about a little Japanese girl he lived with in Chapter 29?
7. What does Andy do for his family on Christmas morning?
8. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
9. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
10. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the climax of the novel. What happens, and why is it significant? How does it impact the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of Generation X, Andy Palmer. What are his defining character traits? What is he struggling with throughout the narrative? Describe his lifestyle and outlook on life. Is Andy truthful with himself and his friends? How does he progress throughout the novel?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)