|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tyler read in the car on the way back from his and Andy's Christmas Eve shopping trip?
2. In Chapter 23, what does Andy say he used to sow randomly in his parents' back yard?
3. What is the title of Chapter 24?
4. When Andy goes home for Christmas, what does his mother tell him she has stopped doing?
5. What does Dag think he'll be doing when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire intend to do with the stick she found on the street in New York?
2. In Chapter 20, what does Andy suggest is the best way to stop dogs from begging at the dinner table?
3. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
4. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
5. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
6. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
7. In her story in Chapter 18, what does Elvissa notice about the apartment Curtis is staying at?
8. When Andy and Tyler go shopping on Christmas Eve, why does Andy believe people are looking at them strangely?
9. What does Andy do for his family on Christmas morning?
10. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the sun motif. What does sun and light represent in this novel? How do the three main characters view the sun? Do their views of the sun and light change as the novel progresses? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the language of the novel. What is the meaning behind the title of the chapters? Discuss the unique language in the novel. How is the language a reflection of the lifestyles and attitudes of the main characters?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)