|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elvissa?
2. What does Tobias compare Eastern bloc toilet paper to?
3. What does Claire want there to be in her bungalow when she returns home from New York?
4. What does Elvissa call rich women with good haircuts and good clothes?
5. Why does Andy feel it was a mistake for him to come home for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Dag explain will be his memory of life on earth?
2. What does Andy do for his family on Christmas morning?
3. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
4. What types of people are in attendance at Bunny Hollander's New Year's Eve party?
5. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
6. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
7. In Chapter 20, what does Andy suggest is the best way to stop dogs from begging at the dinner table?
8. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
9. How does Elvissa get her name?
10. What does Claire intend to do with the stick she found on the street in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Coupland's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism found in the novel? How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)