|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dag bump into while running away from the Aston Martin in Chapter 20?
2. What does Andy make a shopping trip to buy on Christmas Eve?
3. According to Andy's brother, Tyler, whose birthday is January 8th?
4. What does Tyler call his parents' house in Chapter 24?
5. Who is Curtis?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Claire describe as her memory of life on earth?
2. What does Andy explain about his father's health in Chapter 25?
3. In Chapter 17, what does Dag explain will be his memory of life on earth?
4. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
5. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
6. What does Claire intend to do with the stick she found on the street in New York?
7. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
8. What is the significance of the title of the story Elvissa tells, "The Boy with the Hummingbird Eyes"?
9. In Chapter 28, what do we find out was the reason Tobias was attracted to Claire?
10. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters' hesitance with sharing their personal truths. How are the stories that Andy, Dag, and Claire tell one another only partly truthful? Why do these characters avoid sharing their personal stories with their closest friends? How do these characters grow in this regard as the novel progresses? By the end of the novel are these characters about to tell the whole truth, or do they continue to disguise the truth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Andy's, Claire's, and Dag's transformation. Do they all grow and transform equally? How do their personal transformations come about? How are their transformations conveyed to the reader? What symbols and metaphors does the author use to illustrate these important events?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)