|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, what is the reason Andy gives for his father's newfound health?
2. What does Dag call and tell Andy has made the news in Palm Springs?
3. What building does Dag point out to Andy in Chapter 16?
4. At the party, owing to the weather, what is Andy worried about when he is talking to Dag out in the yard?
5. Who shows up at the party to speak to Dag?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 20, what does Andy suggest is the best way to stop dogs from begging at the dinner table?
2. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
3. Describe Bunny Hollander.
4. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
5. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
6. What does Andy do for his family on Christmas morning?
7. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
8. In Chapter 17, what does Dag explain will be his memory of life on earth?
9. How does Elvissa get her name?
10. What types of people are in attendance at Bunny Hollander's New Year's Eve party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andy's, Claire's, and Dag's transformation. Do they all grow and transform equally? How do their personal transformations come about? How are their transformations conveyed to the reader? What symbols and metaphors does the author use to illustrate these important events?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)