|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, what does Andy say you have to live with when you're middle class?
2. When Andy goes home for Christmas, what does his mother tell him she has stopped doing?
3. What does Tyler call his parents' house in Chapter 24?
4. In Chapter 29, what does Dag say Bunny looks like?
5. What does Tobias check in the rearview mirror of his car in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bunny Hollander.
2. What does Andy do for his family on Christmas morning?
3. What does Andy explain about his father's health in Chapter 25?
4. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
5. How does Andy describe the MacArthurs in Chapter 20?
6. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
7. In her story in Chapter 18, what does Elvissa notice about the apartment Curtis is staying at?
8. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
9. In Chapter 20, what does Andy suggest is the best way to stop dogs from begging at the dinner table?
10. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of metaphor in Generation X. How does Coupland's use of metaphors enhance the narrative? How does the use of metaphors reiterate the key themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of Generation X, Andy Palmer. What are his defining character traits? What is he struggling with throughout the narrative? Describe his lifestyle and outlook on life. Is Andy truthful with himself and his friends? How does he progress throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of storytelling in Generation X. Why is telling stories such an important past-time for these characters? What are some recurring characteristics of the way they tell their stories? What do their stories reveal about them? What are the rules they have set for storytelling?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)