|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, what does Andy say he used to sow randomly in his parents' back yard?
2. What does Dag think he'll be doing when he dies?
3. Who is Bunny Hollander?
4. What TV character does Andy compare his brother Tyler to?
5. What is Elvissa's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
2. In Chapter 28, what do we find out was the reason Tobias was attracted to Claire?
3. What is the significance of the title of the story Elvissa tells, "The Boy with the Hummingbird Eyes"?
4. In her story in Chapter 18, what does Elvissa notice about the apartment Curtis is staying at?
5. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
6. What does Andy explain about his father's health in Chapter 25?
7. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
8. How does Elvissa get her name?
9. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
10. What types of people are in attendance at Bunny Hollander's New Year's Eve party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of Generation X, Andy Palmer. What are his defining character traits? What is he struggling with throughout the narrative? Describe his lifestyle and outlook on life. Is Andy truthful with himself and his friends? How does he progress throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Andy's, Claire's, and Dag's transformation. Do they all grow and transform equally? How do their personal transformations come about? How are their transformations conveyed to the reader? What symbols and metaphors does the author use to illustrate these important events?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)