|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Elvissa's possessions does Claire discover at Tobias's place?
2. Where does Dag think an angel will take him when he dies?
3. What does Tyler read in the car on the way back from his and Andy's Christmas Eve shopping trip?
4. How do Tyler and Andy refer to Tyler's group of friends?
5. What does Elvissa do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Claire describe as her memory of life on earth?
2. Describe Bunny Hollander.
3. In Chapter 20, what does Andy suggest is the best way to stop dogs from begging at the dinner table?
4. How does Andy describe the MacArthurs in Chapter 20?
5. When Andy and Tyler go shopping on Christmas Eve, why does Andy believe people are looking at them strangely?
6. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
7. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
8. What does Andy do for his family on Christmas morning?
9. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
10. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of materialism in Generation X. How do the main characters feel about materialism? In what way is materialism connected with the characters' families and the setting of the novel? What is a yuppie?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Coupland's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism found in the novel? How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters' hesitance with sharing their personal truths. How are the stories that Andy, Dag, and Claire tell one another only partly truthful? Why do these characters avoid sharing their personal stories with their closest friends? How do these characters grow in this regard as the novel progresses? By the end of the novel are these characters about to tell the whole truth, or do they continue to disguise the truth?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)