|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elvissa get a job as in Chapter 21?
2. When Andy goes home for Christmas, what does his mother tell him she has stopped doing?
3. In Chapter 29, what does Dag say Bunny looks like?
4. In Chapter 25, what does Andy say you have to live with when you're middle class?
5. Who does Claire say radiation has even more endurance than?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bunny Hollander.
2. What types of people are in attendance at Bunny Hollander's New Year's Eve party?
3. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
4. In her story in Chapter 18, what does Elvissa notice about the apartment Curtis is staying at?
5. In Chapter 17, what does Claire describe as her memory of life on earth?
6. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
7. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
8. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
9. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
10. What does Andy explain about his father's health in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the climax of the novel. What happens, and why is it significant? How does it impact the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andy's, Claire's, and Dag's transformation. Do they all grow and transform equally? How do their personal transformations come about? How are their transformations conveyed to the reader? What symbols and metaphors does the author use to illustrate these important events?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)