|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group is Andy pleased to notice are not present at Bunny's party?
2. What does the acronym VSTP, used by Claire to describe Elvissa, stand for?
3. What does Andy equate buying a house with in Chapter 25?
4. What does Andy recall Tyler saying about the name "Andrew" in Chapter 24?
5. In Chapter 29, what does Dag say Bunny looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. In her story in Chapter 18, what does Elvissa notice about the apartment Curtis is staying at?
2. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
3. What does Claire intend to do with the stick she found on the street in New York?
4. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
5. What does Andy explain about his father's health in Chapter 25?
6. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
7. In Chapter 28, what do we find out was the reason Tobias was attracted to Claire?
8. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
9. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
10. According to Andy, why will this year's Christmas holiday be different at the Palmer home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of storytelling in Generation X. Why is telling stories such an important past-time for these characters? What are some recurring characteristics of the way they tell their stories? What do their stories reveal about them? What are the rules they have set for storytelling?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)