|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andy say the people at Alcohol Anonymous meetings want to hear?
2. What does Mrs. Monroe of Texlahoma sell?
3. What had Nostradamus predicted for the day Claire arrives in Palm Springs?
4. Which of the following is not something Andy thinks of when he sees the sun?
5. How does Andy describe himself at age fifteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire choose the corner of Cottonwood and Sapphire Avenues for their picnic in Chapter 3?
2. When Andy and Tyler go shopping on Christmas Eve, why does Andy believe people are looking at them strangely?
3. In Chapter 1, what example does Andy give of Dag's considerate nature?
4. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
5. What are the rules for story time among Andy and his friends, and why do they need rules?
6. How does Andy describe the MacArthurs in Chapter 20?
7. How does Elvissa get her name?
8. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
9. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
10. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the language of the novel. What is the meaning behind the title of the chapters? Discuss the unique language in the novel. How is the language a reflection of the lifestyles and attitudes of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of materialism in Generation X. How do the main characters feel about materialism? In what way is materialism connected with the characters' families and the setting of the novel? What is a yuppie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
This section contains 1,487 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)