|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he quits his office job, what label does Dag give himself and his new lifestyle?
2. Where is Dag from originally?
3. What does Andy recall happened to Claire's father at the resort pool?
4. Where do Andy, Dag, and Claire live?
5. When Andy and Claire first meet, what does Andy tell her he is doing in Palm Springs?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
2. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
3. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
4. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
5. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
6. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
7. What does Buck ask each of the Monroe girls to do?
8. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
9. What does Margaret tell Dag is the only reason people get up and go to work everyday?
10. In Chapter 14, what is Claire's theory of a "gripping stranger"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character Dag Bellinghausen. What are his defining character traits? What are his relationships with Andy and Claire like? Is Dag able to become a truth teller by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Coupland's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism found in the novel? How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)