Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what bet does Andy recall Dag making with him one night at work?
2. Where does Dag's brother Matthew live?
3. In the story Andy tells about Edward, who follows Edward everywhere?
4. When Andy and Claire first meet, what does Andy tell her he is doing in Palm Springs?
5. Which of the following is not a smell that Andy associates with Milan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
2. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
3. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
4. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
5. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
6. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
8. In Chapter 31, what does Andy think he sees as he's driving that causes him to momentarily panic?
9. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
10. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Coupland's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism found in the novel? How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Claire Baxter. What are her defining character traits? What are her relationships like with Andy and Dag? What is her relationship like with Tobias and Elvissa? How does she grow throughout the narrative?
This section contains 1,606 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)