|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, why does Andy say he and Dag are envious of Tobias?
2. What is the title of Chapter 13?
3. What does Mrs. Monroe of Texlahoma sell?
4. What does Andy recall happened to Claire's father at the resort pool?
5. What does Buck tell the Monroe sisters will happen to them if leave Texlahoma with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and when do Andy and Claire meet?
2. In Chapter 1, what example does Andy give of Dag's considerate nature?
3. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
4. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
5. In Chapter 10, what does Andy recall was on his mind when he was on the phone trying to track down photos from Depeche Mode?
6. How does Dag describe himself when he worked in advertising?
7. In Chapter 14, what is Claire's theory of a "gripping stranger"?
8. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
9. Describe Texlahoma.
10. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Coupland's use of irony. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)