|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry does Dag work in before moving to Palm Springs?
2. Claire thinks about the sun ruining the life of a farmer from which country?
3. In Chapter 12, what does Andy say Dag needs to do soon or else he's going to "lose it"?
4. In Chapter 12, who is said to have disappeared the day after the picnic?
5. In Chapter 1, what does Claire talk about wanting to buy when she was on her "date from hell"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
2. How does Dag describe himself when he worked in advertising?
3. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
4. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
5. How and when do Andy and Claire meet?
6. Describe Texlahoma.
7. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
8. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
9. What historical challenge does Dag give to Margaret in Chapter 5?
10. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Coupland's use of imagery. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel? What is the meaning behind the imagery found at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of Generation X, Andy Palmer. What are his defining character traits? What is he struggling with throughout the narrative? Describe his lifestyle and outlook on life. Is Andy truthful with himself and his friends? How does he progress throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)