|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Tobias have for Andy?
2. What are Texlahomans required by law to put on their cars?
3. Where does Dag call Andy from in Chapter 12?
4. What is Claire's surname?
5. What kind of car does Dag drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
3. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
4. What do Clair and Andy discuss about Dag after he gets in touch with them following his disappearance to Nevada?
5. Describe Texlahoma.
6. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
7. How does Dag describe himself when he worked in advertising?
8. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
9. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
10. In Chapter 10, what does Andy recall was on his mind when he was on the phone trying to track down photos from Depeche Mode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the climax of the novel. What happens, and why is it significant? How does it impact the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Claire Baxter. What are her defining character traits? What are her relationships like with Andy and Dag? What is her relationship like with Tobias and Elvissa? How does she grow throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)