|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the mood of the abandoned suburb where the friends go to for a picnic described?
2. Where does Dag call Andy from in Chapter 12?
3. What does Dag's brother Matthew do for a living?
4. What does Claire do for a living when she and Andy meet?
5. What nickname does Tobias have for Andy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck ask each of the Monroe girls to do?
2. In Chapter 1, what example does Andy give of Dag's considerate nature?
3. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
5. In Chapter 10, what does Andy recall was on his mind when he was on the phone trying to track down photos from Depeche Mode?
6. What does Andy tell us about Claire in Chapter 7?
7. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
8. What does Margaret tell Dag is the only reason people get up and go to work everyday?
9. In Chapter 14, what is Claire's theory of a "gripping stranger"?
10. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of Generation X, Andy Palmer. What are his defining character traits? What is he struggling with throughout the narrative? Describe his lifestyle and outlook on life. Is Andy truthful with himself and his friends? How does he progress throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Claire Baxter. What are her defining character traits? What are her relationships like with Andy and Dag? What is her relationship like with Tobias and Elvissa? How does she grow throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)