|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Claire's family have for her?
2. What does Dag's brother Matthew do for a living?
3. What does Andy wonder as he stares at his fingernails in Chapter 6?
4. Who is Mr. MacArthur?
5. What is Andy reading when Tobias arrives at his house in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Andy recall was on his mind when he was on the phone trying to track down photos from Depeche Mode?
2. What is the significance of the title of the story Elvissa tells, "The Boy with the Hummingbird Eyes"?
3. In Chapter 23 when Andy wakes up in the early morning and sees his friends asleep around him, how does he feel?
4. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
5. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
6. In Chapter 31, what does Andy think he sees as he's driving that causes him to momentarily panic?
7. What does Andy slip into Dag's drink in Chapter 13?
8. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
9. As he explains in Chapter 29, how does Dag think he will die?
10. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of Generation X, Andy Palmer. What are his defining character traits? What is he struggling with throughout the narrative? Describe his lifestyle and outlook on life. Is Andy truthful with himself and his friends? How does he progress throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. How does it end? What happens to the protagonist at the end of the novel? What is the significance of this moment?
This section contains 1,584 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)