|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andy wonder as he stares at his fingernails in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 13, why does Andy say he and Dag are envious of Tobias?
3. Which of the following is not a name Claire suggests for her future children?
4. In Chapter 1, where does Andy suspect his dogs have been rummaging through the trash?
5. What does Claire do for a living when she and Andy meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire choose the corner of Cottonwood and Sapphire Avenues for their picnic in Chapter 3?
2. What does Buck ask each of the Monroe girls to do?
3. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
4. What do Clair and Andy discuss about Dag after he gets in touch with them following his disappearance to Nevada?
5. In Chapter 1, how does Claire describe the date she had just been on?
6. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
7. Describe Texlahoma.
8. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
9. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
10. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Claire Baxter. What are her defining character traits? What are her relationships like with Andy and Dag? What is her relationship like with Tobias and Elvissa? How does she grow throughout the narrative?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)