|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Andy describe himself at age fifteen?
2. What does Claire do for a living when she and Andy meet?
3. What is Texlahoma?
4. What does Dag give Claire a jar of as a gift?
5. In Chapter 3, what does Andy say he and his friends are uncomfortable revealing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 14, what is Claire's theory of a "gripping stranger"?
3. What are the rules for story time among Andy and his friends, and why do they need rules?
4. What does Buck ask each of the Monroe girls to do?
5. In Chapter 1, how does Claire describe the date she had just been on?
6. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
7. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
8. Describe Texlahoma.
9. What historical challenge does Dag give to Margaret in Chapter 5?
10. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the sun motif. What does sun and light represent in this novel? How do the three main characters view the sun? Do their views of the sun and light change as the novel progresses? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel Generation X. Why does Coupland choose Palm Springs as the setting for the novel? Why is it an appropriate setting to explore the themes of the novel?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)