|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. MacArthur?
2. Reading a passage from the diaries of which artist inspired Andy to exercise?
3. In Chapter 12, what does Andy say Dag needs to do soon or else he's going to "lose it"?
4. What sickness does Buck come down with?
5. What does Andy wonder as he stares at his fingernails in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what is Claire's theory of a "gripping stranger"?
2. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
3. What do Clair and Andy discuss about Dag after he gets in touch with them following his disappearance to Nevada?
4. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
5. Why does Claire choose the corner of Cottonwood and Sapphire Avenues for their picnic in Chapter 3?
6. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
7. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
8. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
9. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
10. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Claire Baxter. What are her defining character traits? What are her relationships like with Andy and Dag? What is her relationship like with Tobias and Elvissa? How does she grow throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. How does it end? What happens to the protagonist at the end of the novel? What is the significance of this moment?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)