Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what bet does Andy recall Dag making with him one night at work?
2. Where does Dag's brother Matthew live?
3. In the story Andy tells about Edward, who follows Edward everywhere?
4. When Andy and Claire first meet, what does Andy tell her he is doing in Palm Springs?
5. Which of the following is not a smell that Andy associates with Milan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
2. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
3. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
4. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
5. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
6. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
8. In Chapter 31, what does Andy think he sees as he's driving that causes him to momentarily panic?
9. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
10. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Coupland's use of irony. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters' hesitance with sharing their personal truths. How are the stories that Andy, Dag, and Claire tell one another only partly truthful? Why do these characters avoid sharing their personal stories with their closest friends? How do these characters grow in this regard as the novel progresses? By the end of the novel are these characters about to tell the whole truth, or do they continue to disguise the truth?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)