|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Monroe sister agrees to leave Texlahoma with Buck?
2. Where do Andy, Dag, and Claire live?
3. How is the mood of the abandoned suburb where the friends go to for a picnic described?
4. What does Buck tell the Monroe sisters will happen to them if leave Texlahoma with him?
5. What nickname does Tobias have for Andy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
2. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
3. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
4. Describe Texlahoma.
5. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
7. What are the rules for story time among Andy and his friends, and why do they need rules?
8. In Chapter 14, what is Claire's theory of a "gripping stranger"?
9. What does Andy tell us about Claire in Chapter 7?
10. How does Dag describe himself when he worked in advertising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of materialism in Generation X. How do the main characters feel about materialism? In what way is materialism connected with the characters' families and the setting of the novel? What is a yuppie?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of storytelling in Generation X. Why is telling stories such an important past-time for these characters? What are some recurring characteristics of the way they tell their stories? What do their stories reveal about them? What are the rules they have set for storytelling?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Andy's, Claire's, and Dag's transformation. Do they all grow and transform equally? How do their personal transformations come about? How are their transformations conveyed to the reader? What symbols and metaphors does the author use to illustrate these important events?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)