|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andy say the people at Alcohol Anonymous meetings want to hear?
2. In his former office, what does Dag have a framed photo of at his desk?
3. Where do Andy, Dag, and Claire live?
4. In Chapter 2, which Church does Dag say dogs belong to?
5. What does Mrs. Monroe of Texlahoma sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
3. In Chapter 1, what example does Andy give of Dag's considerate nature?
4. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
5. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
6. What does Buck ask each of the Monroe girls to do?
7. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
8. In Chapter 14, what is Claire's theory of a "gripping stranger"?
9. What does Andy tell us about Claire in Chapter 7?
10. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of Generation X, Andy Palmer. What are his defining character traits? What is he struggling with throughout the narrative? Describe his lifestyle and outlook on life. Is Andy truthful with himself and his friends? How does he progress throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sun motif. What does sun and light represent in this novel? How do the three main characters view the sun? Do their views of the sun and light change as the novel progresses? If so, how?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)