|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andy say his parents are terrified of in Chapter 14?
2. What does Mrs. Monroe invite Buck to watch on TV?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Dag say he is, which is trapped inside a man's body?
4. Where do Andy, Dag, and Claire live?
5. In the story Dag tells about a man named Otis. What does Otis consider Palm Springs?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
2. How and when do Andy and Claire meet?
3. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 1, what example does Andy give of Dag's considerate nature?
5. In Dag's story in Chapter 12, what bothers Otis about the postcard he receives from a friend in New Mexico?
6. What does Andy slip into Dag's drink in Chapter 13?
7. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
8. In Chapter 10, what does Andy recall was on his mind when he was on the phone trying to track down photos from Depeche Mode?
9. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
10. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. How does it end? What happens to the protagonist at the end of the novel? What is the significance of this moment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)