|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Otis equate suburban houses to?
2. Who does Dag believe carries a deep secret that can't be shared?
3. What does Andy slip into Dag's drink in Chapter 13?
4. Which of the following is not something Andy thinks of when he sees the sun?
5. What is the title of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
2. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
4. What does Andy tell us about Claire in Chapter 7?
5. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
6. Why does Claire choose the corner of Cottonwood and Sapphire Avenues for their picnic in Chapter 3?
7. Where are Andy, Dag, and Claire all originally from, and why does Andy say it doesn't matter?
8. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
9. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
10. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the climax of the novel. What happens, and why is it significant? How does it impact the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)