|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Andy describe himself at age fifteen?
2. What is Mr Takamichi's most valuable possession?
3. In Chapter 5, what does Dag say is necessary for someone to become famous?
4. Which state do Andy, Dag, and Claire live in?
5. What kind of magazine does Andy work at in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
2. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
3. In Chapter 14, what is Claire's theory of a "gripping stranger"?
4. Where are Andy, Dag, and Claire all originally from, and why does Andy say it doesn't matter?
5. What are the rules for story time among Andy and his friends, and why do they need rules?
6. What does Andy slip into Dag's drink in Chapter 13?
7. What historical challenge does Dag give to Margaret in Chapter 5?
8. How does Dag describe himself when he worked in advertising?
9. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
10. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Coupland's use of irony. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)