Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what bet does Andy recall Dag making with him one night at work?
2. Where does Dag's brother Matthew live?
3. In the story Andy tells about Edward, who follows Edward everywhere?
4. When Andy and Claire first meet, what does Andy tell her he is doing in Palm Springs?
5. Which of the following is not a smell that Andy associates with Milan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
2. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
3. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
4. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
5. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
6. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
8. In Chapter 31, what does Andy think he sees as he's driving that causes him to momentarily panic?
9. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
10. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. How does it end? What happens to the protagonist at the end of the novel? What is the significance of this moment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andy's, Claire's, and Dag's transformation. Do they all grow and transform equally? How do their personal transformations come about? How are their transformations conveyed to the reader? What symbols and metaphors does the author use to illustrate these important events?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character Dag Bellinghausen. What are his defining character traits? What are his relationships with Andy and Claire like? Is Dag able to become a truth teller by the end of the novel?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)