|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry does Dag work in before moving to Palm Springs?
2. What does Mrs. Monroe of Texlahoma sell?
3. What is Andy's surname?
4. Who is Martin?
5. What does Dag suspect the tourists are looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
2. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
3. What does Andy slip into Dag's drink in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Claire choose the corner of Cottonwood and Sapphire Avenues for their picnic in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 1, how does Claire describe the date she had just been on?
6. Describe Texlahoma.
7. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
8. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
9. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
10. How and when do Andy and Claire meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. How does it end? What happens to the protagonist at the end of the novel? What is the significance of this moment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of materialism in Generation X. How do the main characters feel about materialism? In what way is materialism connected with the characters' families and the setting of the novel? What is a yuppie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)