|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Claire thinks about the sun ruining the life of a farmer from which country?
2. What kind of car does Dag drive?
3. How does Andy describe himself at age fifteen?
4. After he quits his office job, what label does Dag give himself and his new lifestyle?
5. Who asks, "What do you think of when you see the sun?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Andy recall was on his mind when he was on the phone trying to track down photos from Depeche Mode?
2. What does Andy tell us about Claire in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
4. What does Andy slip into Dag's drink in Chapter 13?
5. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
6. What do Clair and Andy discuss about Dag after he gets in touch with them following his disappearance to Nevada?
7. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
8. What does Margaret tell Dag is the only reason people get up and go to work everyday?
9. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
10. What does Buck ask each of the Monroe girls to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel Generation X. Why does Coupland choose Palm Springs as the setting for the novel? Why is it an appropriate setting to explore the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)