Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what bet does Andy recall Dag making with him one night at work?
2. Where does Dag's brother Matthew live?
3. In the story Andy tells about Edward, who follows Edward everywhere?
4. When Andy and Claire first meet, what does Andy tell her he is doing in Palm Springs?
5. Which of the following is not a smell that Andy associates with Milan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy describe planing in his parents' back yard in Chapter 23?
2. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
3. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
4. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
5. What memory of his parents does Tobias share in Chapter 17?
6. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
8. In Chapter 31, what does Andy think he sees as he's driving that causes him to momentarily panic?
9. What does Andy's mother say on the topic of children never leaving home?
10. What does Andy say about his brother Tyler's group of friends, the "Global Teens"?
Discuss the sun motif. What does sun and light represent in this novel? How do the three main characters view the sun? Do their views of the sun and light change as the novel progresses? If so, how?
Discuss Coupland's use of imagery. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel? What is the meaning behind the imagery found at the end of the novel?
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)