|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what does Dag say he is, which is trapped inside a man's body?
2. What does Dag suspect the tourists are looking for?
3. Who is Martin?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Claire say you can sense about the corner of Cottonwood and Sapphire avenues?
5. In the story Dag tells about a man named Otis. What does Otis consider Palm Springs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Clair and Andy discuss about Dag after he gets in touch with them following his disappearance to Nevada?
2. In Chapter 17, what does Claire describe as her memory of life on earth?
3. Why is Andy's story, "The Young Man Who Desperately Wanted to Be Hit by Lightning" considered a failure?
4. What does Dag do to the Aston Martin convertible that is parked not far from Larry's Bar?
5. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
6. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
7. In Chapter 17, what does Dag explain will be his memory of life on earth?
8. How does Dag get away with setting the Astin Martin convertible on fire?
9. What does Andy say is the kiss of death, personality-wise in Chapter 25?
10. In Chapter 10, what does Andy recall was on his mind when he was on the phone trying to track down photos from Depeche Mode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of Generation X, Andy Palmer. What are his defining character traits? What is he struggling with throughout the narrative? Describe his lifestyle and outlook on life. Is Andy truthful with himself and his friends? How does he progress throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the language of the novel. What is the meaning behind the title of the chapters? Discuss the unique language in the novel. How is the language a reflection of the lifestyles and attitudes of the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel Generation X. Why does Coupland choose Palm Springs as the setting for the novel? Why is it an appropriate setting to explore the themes of the novel?
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)