|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Claire originally from?
2. What had Nostradamus predicted for the day Claire arrives in Palm Springs?
3. What does Andy say his parents are terrified of in Chapter 14?
4. In Chapter 5, what does Dag say is necessary for someone to become famous?
5. Which of the following is not something Andy thinks of when he sees the sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What historical challenge does Dag give to Margaret in Chapter 5?
2. What does Andy tell us about Claire in Chapter 7?
3. How and when do Andy and Claire meet?
4. Why does Claire choose the corner of Cottonwood and Sapphire Avenues for their picnic in Chapter 3?
5. What do Clair and Andy discuss about Dag after he gets in touch with them following his disappearance to Nevada?
6. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
8. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
9. How does Dag describe himself when he worked in advertising?
10. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Coupland's use of imagery. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel? What is the meaning behind the imagery found at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Claire Baxter. What are her defining character traits? What are her relationships like with Andy and Dag? What is her relationship like with Tobias and Elvissa? How does she grow throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)