|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Monroe invite Buck to watch on TV?
2. In the story Andy tells about Edward, who follows Edward everywhere?
3. What does Claire do for a living when she and Andy meet?
4. What nickname does Claire's family have for her?
5. What is Andy's language of specialty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rules for story time among Andy and his friends, and why do they need rules?
2. In Chapter 1, what example does Andy give of Dag's considerate nature?
3. Where are Andy, Dag, and Claire all originally from, and why does Andy say it doesn't matter?
4. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
5. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
6. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
7. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
8. In Chapter 1, how does Claire describe the date she had just been on?
9. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
10. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writing style of the novel Generation X. How does Coupland convey the tone of the novel? What techniques does Coupland use to connect the writing style with the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character Dag Bellinghausen. What are his defining character traits? What are his relationships with Andy and Claire like? Is Dag able to become a truth teller by the end of the novel?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)