|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the postcard Otis receives from an old friend?
2. Andy says moving to which location has improved the three friends' lives?
3. In Andy's story, what does Edward vow to build once he makes it in New York?
4. What does Dag's brother Matthew do for a living?
5. What is the meaning of the Japanese phrase, "shin jin rui"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck ask each of the Monroe girls to do?
2. In Chapter 1, what example does Andy give of Dag's considerate nature?
3. What does Andy tell us about Claire in Chapter 7?
4. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
5. In Chapter 1, how does Claire describe the date she had just been on?
6. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
7. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
8. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
9. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
10. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of materialism in Generation X. How do the main characters feel about materialism? In what way is materialism connected with the characters' families and the setting of the novel? What is a yuppie?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel Generation X. Why does Coupland choose Palm Springs as the setting for the novel? Why is it an appropriate setting to explore the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)