|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Martin?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Dag say he is, which is trapped inside a man's body?
3. What nickname does Tobias have for Andy?
4. What does Andy slip into Dag's drink in Chapter 13?
5. What does Andy wonder as he stares at his fingernails in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
2. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Andy recall was on his mind when he was on the phone trying to track down photos from Depeche Mode?
4. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
5. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
6. What are the rules for story time among Andy and his friends, and why do they need rules?
7. What do Clair and Andy discuss about Dag after he gets in touch with them following his disappearance to Nevada?
8. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
9. In Chapter 1, how does Claire describe the date she had just been on?
10. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Coupland's use of irony. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Andy's, Claire's, and Dag's transformation. Do they all grow and transform equally? How do their personal transformations come about? How are their transformations conveyed to the reader? What symbols and metaphors does the author use to illustrate these important events?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)