|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Martin?
2. As Andy recalls in Chapter 4, after Dag won their bet, what did he do with the money?
3. Where is Claire originally from?
4. What is Texlahoma?
5. In Chapter 1, where does Andy suspect his dogs have been rummaging through the trash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
2. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
3. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
5. What does Andy tell us about Claire in Chapter 7?
6. What historical challenge does Dag give to Margaret in Chapter 5?
7. What does Margaret tell Dag is the only reason people get up and go to work everyday?
8. Where are Andy, Dag, and Claire all originally from, and why does Andy say it doesn't matter?
9. Why does Claire choose the corner of Cottonwood and Sapphire Avenues for their picnic in Chapter 3?
10. What does Buck ask each of the Monroe girls to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the novel, literary fiction. What are the elements of this genre? Why is this novel an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the climax of the novel. What happens, and why is it significant? How does it impact the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sun motif. What does sun and light represent in this novel? How do the three main characters view the sun? Do their views of the sun and light change as the novel progresses? If so, how?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)