|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbing artifacts does Andy mention Claire keeps in what should be her dining room?
2. In the story Andy tells about Edward, who follows Edward everywhere?
3. After quitting his office job, Dag says he makes new friends who yap endlessly about what?
4. What is Claire's surname?
5. Which of the following is not a name Claire suggests for her future children?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
2. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
3. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
4. What do Clair and Andy discuss about Dag after he gets in touch with them following his disappearance to Nevada?
5. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
6. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
7. What happens to the Astronaut named Buck when he lands on Texlahoma?
8. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
9. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
10. How does Dag describe himself when he worked in advertising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the sun motif. What does sun and light represent in this novel? How do the three main characters view the sun? Do their views of the sun and light change as the novel progresses? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power of friendship in the novel. What are the relationships between the three main characters like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Coupland's use of irony. How does Coupland use irony to reiterate the themes of the novel?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)