|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, which Church does Dag say dogs belong to?
2. Where does Dag call Andy from in Chapter 12?
3. What nickname does Tobias have for Andy?
4. Claire tells a story about a man named Buck. What is Buck's occupation?
5. In Chapter 4, what bet does Andy recall Dag making with him one night at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Dag's story in Chapter 12, what bothers Otis about the postcard he receives from a friend in New Mexico?
2. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
3. How does Andy describe Palm Springs in Chapter 2?
4. What do Clair and Andy discuss about Dag after he gets in touch with them following his disappearance to Nevada?
5. What does Andy say about his parents' house in Chapter 15?
6. What does Andy tell us about himself in Chapter 9?
7. Summarize the story Andy tells about a man named Edward in Chapter 9.
8. What historical challenge does Dag give to Margaret in Chapter 5?
9. In Chapter 12, what does Dag say about Scotty's Junction, Nevada?
10. In Chapter 1, what example does Andy give of Dag's considerate nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character Dag Bellinghausen. What are his defining character traits? What are his relationships with Andy and Claire like? Is Dag able to become a truth teller by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. How does it end? What happens to the protagonist at the end of the novel? What is the significance of this moment?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)