|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Andy's surname?
2. What does Andy say the people at Alcohol Anonymous meetings want to hear?
3. Which of the following is not a name Claire suggests for her future children?
4. When Andy and Claire first meet, what does Andy tell her he is doing in Palm Springs?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Dag say is necessary for someone to become famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dag hope Charlene was the one who had to clean out his desk after he quit his job?
2. How does Dag describe himself when he worked in advertising?
3. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
4. How and when do Andy and Claire meet?
5. In Chapter 1, how does Claire describe the date she had just been on?
6. In Chapter 10, what does Andy recall was on his mind when he was on the phone trying to track down photos from Depeche Mode?
7. What does Andy tell us about Claire in Chapter 7?
8. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
9. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
10. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel Generation X. Why does Coupland choose Palm Springs as the setting for the novel? Why is it an appropriate setting to explore the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. How does it end? What happens to the protagonist at the end of the novel? What is the significance of this moment?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel, Douglas Coupland. What is his background and how does it relate to Generation X? Is he a Gen X'er?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)