|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does Dag have for his office cubicle?
(a) The veal-fattening pen.
(b) The slow death chamber.
(c) The office cubicle.
(d) The yuppie dive.
2. In Chapter 4, what bet does Andy recall Dag making with him one night at work?
(a) That he could run across the country.
(b) That he could make an entire room of people laugh uncontrollably.
(c) That he could get the locals to join him in a sing-along.
(d) That he could make Claire fall in love with him.
3. What does Dag suspect the tourists are looking for?
(a) Rodeo Drive.
(b) Cement dinosaurs.
(d) A beach.
4. What is the meaning of the Japanese phrase, "shin jin rui"?
(a) New human beings.
(b) A breath of fresh air.
(c) The forgotten past.
(d) A novice.
5. What is Mr Takamichi's most valuable possession?
(a) A first edition of his favorite comic book.
(b) A photo of Marilyn Monroe.
(c) An old t-shirt.
(d) A love letter from his first love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Tobias have for Andy?
2. Who is Mr. MacArthur?
3. What disturbing artifacts does Andy mention Claire keeps in what should be her dining room?
4. Which of the following is not a smell that Andy associates with Milan?
5. In Andy's story, what does Edward vow to build once he makes it in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rules for story time among Andy and his friends, and why do they need rules?
2. In Chapter 7, at what point does Andy say he knows he and Claire would be friends for life?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Andy say worries him about his dogs?
4. At the beginning of the novel, what does Andy recall doing when he was fifteen years old?
5. In Andy's story in Chapter 10, why is Miss Ueno upset?
6. In Chapter 1, how does Claire describe the date she had just been on?
7. In Chapter 4, what spurs Dag's Toronto boss, Martin, into a tirade directed at Dag?
8. Describe Texlahoma.
9. What is the most prized possession of Andy's boss in Japan?
10. In Dag's story in Chapter 12, what bothers Otis about the postcard he receives from a friend in New Mexico?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)