|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Tyler and Andy refer to Tyler's group of friends?
(a) As the "Cool Cats."
(b) As the "Minor Misfits."
(c) As the "Global Teens."
(d) As the "Handsome Squad."
2. What does Claire want there to be in her bungalow when she returns home from New York?
(a) Andy and Dag's smiling faces.
(c) A present.
3. What does Tobias check in the rearview mirror of his car in Chapter 18?
(a) His tie.
(b) His teeth.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His nose.
4. Who picks Andy up from the airport in Chapter 24?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
5. What local monument does Andy visit in Portland before heading to the airport to fly back to California?
(a) The Korean War memorial.
(b) The WWII memorial.
(c) The Cold War memorial.
(d) The Vietnam War memorial.
6. In Andy and Claire's eyes, where do the MacArthurs live permanently?
(a) The 1960s.
(b) The 1970s.
(c) The 1950s.
(d) The 1940s.
7. In Chapter 20, how many women does Mr. MacArthur say he has dated in his life?
(b) Three hundred.
8. Why does Andy feel it was a mistake for him to come home for Christmas?
(a) Because the trip is long.
(b) Because he can't stand his parents.
(c) Because his family would not have missed him if he didn't go.
(d) Because he is "too old."
9. What does Andy credit with keeping him "level" in Chapter 20?
(b) Building model planes.
(c) Spending time with friends.
(d) Reading classic literature.
10. In Chapter 23, what does Andy say he used to sow randomly in his parents' back yard?
(a) Tulip bulbs.
(b) Daffodil bulbs.
(c) Iris bulbs.
(d) Crocus bulbs.
11. What does Dag recall his father said gasoline smelled like in Chapter 16?
(b) The future.
(d) His childhood.
12. What does Tobias say his memory of life on Earth is?
(a) Meeting a pretty girl.
(b) Learning how to surf.
(c) Watching his parents dance to music on the radio.
(d) Getting his car for thousands less than its worth.
13. In Chapter 20, what does Andy suggest is the best way to get dogs to stop begging at the dinner table?
(a) By hitting or kicking them.
(b) By pointing your finger at them and yelling "Stop!"
(c) By ignoring them.
(d) Offer them a carrot or olive.
14. What does Andy recall Tyler saying about the name "Andrew" in Chapter 24?
(a) It's a good name for a child.
(b) It looks good on a resume.
(c) It sounds religious.
(d) Andrews are always good men.
15. In his story, what did the Japanese girl Andy lived with keep as a pet?
(a) A gerbil.
(b) A parakeet.
(c) A rat.
(d) A beetle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, what does Andy's father tell him he should get rid of "pronto"?
2. Where does Elvissa grow up?
3. Where will Claire stay until she knows she'll be safe from radiation at home?
4. Who does Andy say is his favorite, and jokiest, sister?
5. What does Claire believe the stick she found will lead her to?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)