|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does Andy say he and his friends are uncomfortable revealing?
(a) Their religion.
(b) Their emotions.
(c) Their age.
(d) Their income.
2. Who is Martin?
(a) Dag's mentor.
(b) Dag's former boss.
(c) Dag's brother.
(d) Dag's father.
3. After quitting his office job, Dag says he makes new friends who yap endlessly about what?
(a) The war in the Middle East.
(b) Foreign policy.
(c) Environmental issues.
(d) South American novelists.
4. In the story Dag tells about a man named Otis. What does Otis consider Palm Springs?
(a) His own personal New Zealand.
(b) Where people go to die.
(c) A cousin of the Florida Keys.
(d) A paradise on earth.
5. What nickname does Tobias have for Andy?
6. Where is Dag from originally?
7. What is the title of Chapter 13?
(a) Monsters Escape.
(b) Monsters Exist.
(c) Monsters Under the Bed.
(d) Monsters Over There.
8. What is Andy's language of specialty?
9. What does Dag's brother Matthew do for a living?
(a) Writes jingles.
(b) He dabbles in real estate.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He is an investment banker.
10. In Chapter 14, what does Andy plan to do for Christmas?
(a) Make dinner for his friends.
(b) Visit an orphanage.
(c) Sleep through the holidays.
(d) Go home to Portland.
11. What does Andy say almost always bookends a European pilgrimage in Chapter 13?
(a) A shopping spree.
(b) Semiclinical depression.
(c) A love affair.
(d) A terrifying cab ride.
12. In Chapter 2, which Church does Dag say dogs belong to?
(a) The Presbyterian Church.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The Anglican Church.
(d) The Unitarian church.
13. What does Dag say is the best form of "cult employment"?
(b) Planting trees in British Columbia.
(c) Teaching English in Asia.
(d) Stocking shelfs during the night shift.
14. In Chapter 10, what does Andy say is a recurring theme in Dag's stories?
(a) Love and loss.
(b) The end of the world.
(d) New beginnings.
15. What is the meaning of the Japanese phrase, "shin jin rui"?
(a) The forgotten past.
(b) A novice.
(c) New human beings.
(d) A breath of fresh air.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, who is said to have disappeared the day after the picnic?
2. What year is it permanently in Texlahoma?
3. What does Claire do for a living when she and Andy meet?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Claire say you can sense about the corner of Cottonwood and Sapphire avenues?
5. In Chapter 13, why does Andy say he and Dag are envious of Tobias?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)