Part 1, Chapters 1, 2 and 3
• Andy recalls traveling to a small town to watch a total eclipse of the sun.
• Andy, Claire, and Dag comment on what the sun makes them think of.
• Andy says that he and his friends came to Palm Springs, California to make their lives worthwhile.
• The three friends travel to find a spot for a picnic.
• Andy says that his life and those of his friends have improved since moving to the desert.
• The rules of storytelling are described: don't interrupt and don't criticize.
Part 1, Chapters 4, 5, 6 and 7
• The story of Dag's arrival in Palm Springs is told: He had worked in advertising in Canada before losing his temper with his boss.
• Dag become a "basement person."
• Dag moves to Buffalo to stay with his brother, slips into depression, and has a crisis of self.
• Dag decides to move to Palm Springs.
• Andy recalls meeting Claire...
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)