|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes up the only father-son pair in the three hundred?
2. What is mothax?
3. If the krypteia have their way, how is Rooster to be punished for rejecting the offer?
4. Who appears to Diomache in a dream after she aborted her pregnancy and was ill?
5. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
2. Why do the Persian soldiers not hinder the Greeks in their escape?
3. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
4. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
5. What happens when Rooster returns to the Greeks on the second day of battle?
6. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
7. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
8. How is the 300 man force composed?
9. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
10. What happens when the Greeks enter the tent of Xerxes that ultimately saves his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By simply maintaining military discipline, the Spartans are able to defeat many enemies in battle who do not know discipline. Define discipline. Why is discipline so important on the battlefield? Is it equally important off the field? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In ancient Greece, just like many other ancient civilizations, crimes were punished much more severely than they are now. Many crimes involving stealing would result in losing a hand, or having the hands crippled. Have students write an essay answering the following questions:
1. What are these kinds of punishments no longer in use? What caused them to be discontinued in the Western world?
2. Are these kinds of punishments still in use today? If they are, then where, and why?
3. Do you feel that capital and corporal punishment is appropriate punishment for most crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The preferred style of combat for the Spartans is the heavy infantry phalanx. Answer the following questions about the Spartan phalanx:
1. Describe the structure of the phalanx.
2. What role does discipline play in the successful phalanx?
3. What role does cohesive teamwork play in the successful phalanx?
4. What strengths and weaknesses does the phalanx have?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)