|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
2. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
3. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
4. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
5. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
Essay Topic 1
Arete offers Xeones some money and the chance to flee Sparta before the army marches off to war. Why does she do this? What causes Xeones to refuse to fleet Sparta when Arete offers him the chance to escape? What causes him to remain with the Spartans in battle, even after he is ordered by Dienekes to leave and save himself? Describe what kind of man you feel Xeones is.
Essay Topic 2
In ancient Greece, just like many other ancient civilizations, crimes were punished much more severely than they are now. Many crimes involving stealing would result in losing a hand, or having the hands crippled. Have students write an essay answering the following questions:
1. What are these kinds of punishments no longer in use? What caused them to be discontinued in the Western world?
2. Are these kinds of punishments still in use today? If they are, then where, and why?
3. Do you feel that capital and corporal punishment is appropriate punishment for most crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There exists between all soldiers of honor and bravery, a certain respect and admiration. What examples of this are given in the book? Compare these to examples of honor and/or bravery in other literary works. Answer the question, "What is the opposite of fear?"
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)