|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Persians are in the advance force that takes Athens?
2. What does the Oracle tell the Spartans?
3. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
4. What happens to the raiding party?
5. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
2. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
3. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
4. Describe the first day of battle.
5. Describe the Medes who first entered battle with the Greeks.
6. How is Rooster spared and why?
7. Why does Arete claim the child of Rooster is really the child of her husband Dienekes? What unforeseen effect does this have?
8. What occurs at Thermopylae during the wait for the Persians?
9. What happens when Rooster returns to the Greeks on the second day of battle?
10. Describe what the Persians do to the body of the Spartan king, Leonidas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. In ancient Sparta, as well as today, soldiers are trained by simulating real battle conditions. During these training exercises, soldiers can undergo severe physical and mental stress, and can actually die from the training, or in training accidents. What other disadvantages might there be to of such training methods? What are the benefits?
2. How are the training methods of the ancient Spartans like the methods used my most of the world today? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Arete offers Xeones some money and the chance to flee Sparta before the army marches off to war. Why does she do this? What causes Xeones to refuse to fleet Sparta when Arete offers him the chance to escape? What causes him to remain with the Spartans in battle, even after he is ordered by Dienekes to leave and save himself? Describe what kind of man you feel Xeones is.
Essay Topic 3
The Spartans hold a unique view of war and enemies. Explain the Spartan view of war and their enemies. Compare and contrast this view to the views of other ancient warrior civilizations.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)