Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
2. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
3. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
4. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
5. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
Essay Topic 1
In ancient Greece, just like many other ancient civilizations, crimes were punished much more severely than they are now. Many crimes involving stealing would result in losing a hand, or having the hands crippled. Have students write an essay answering the following questions:
1. What are these kinds of punishments no longer in use? What caused them to be discontinued in the Western world?
2. Are these kinds of punishments still in use today? If they are, then where, and why?
3. Do you feel that capital and corporal punishment is appropriate punishment for most crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There exists between all soldiers of honor and bravery, a certain respect and admiration. What examples of this are given in the book? Compare these to examples of honor and/or bravery in other literary works. Answer the question, "What is the opposite of fear?"
Essay Topic 3
The preferred style of combat for the Spartans is the heavy infantry phalanx. Answer the following questions about the Spartan phalanx:
1. Describe the structure of the phalanx.
2. What role does discipline play in the successful phalanx?
3. What role does cohesive teamwork play in the successful phalanx?
4. What strengths and weaknesses does the phalanx have?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)