|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
2. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
3. What punishment is actually dealt out to Rooster?
4. What happens to the raiding party?
5. Why is Xerxes having trouble sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between Medes and Greeks.
2. What happens when the Greeks enter the tent of Xerxes that ultimately saves his life?
3. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
4. What happens when Leonidas frees the helots on the last day of battle?
5. Explain what the author means when he calls the 300 an all-sire unit.
6. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
7. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
8. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
9. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
10. Describe the first day of battle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arete offers Xeones some money and the chance to flee Sparta before the army marches off to war. Why does she do this? What causes Xeones to refuse to fleet Sparta when Arete offers him the chance to escape? What causes him to remain with the Spartans in battle, even after he is ordered by Dienekes to leave and save himself? Describe what kind of man you feel Xeones is.
Essay Topic 2
1. In ancient Sparta, as well as today, soldiers are trained by simulating real battle conditions. During these training exercises, soldiers can undergo severe physical and mental stress, and can actually die from the training, or in training accidents. What other disadvantages might there be to of such training methods? What are the benefits?
2. How are the training methods of the ancient Spartans like the methods used my most of the world today? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
What is an all-sire unit? Explain what it means to be an all-sire unit. What would it be like to be a member of one of these units? Compare the Spartan all-sire units with similar units of other civilizations and times.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)