|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
2. How do the Persian forces surround the Greeks?
3. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
4. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
5. Who does Xeones marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Greeks enter the tent of Xerxes that ultimately saves his life?
2. Describe the Medes who first entered battle with the Greeks.
3. Why do the Persian soldiers not hinder the Greeks in their escape?
4. What occurs at Thermopylae during the wait for the Persians?
5. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
6. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
7. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
8. How is Rooster spared and why?
9. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
10. Describe the fight between Medes and Greeks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In ancient Greece, just like many other ancient civilizations, crimes were punished much more severely than they are now. Many crimes involving stealing would result in losing a hand, or having the hands crippled. Have students write an essay answering the following questions:
1. What are these kinds of punishments no longer in use? What caused them to be discontinued in the Western world?
2. Are these kinds of punishments still in use today? If they are, then where, and why?
3. Do you feel that capital and corporal punishment is appropriate punishment for most crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Arete offers Xeones some money and the chance to flee Sparta before the army marches off to war. Why does she do this? What causes Xeones to refuse to fleet Sparta when Arete offers him the chance to escape? What causes him to remain with the Spartans in battle, even after he is ordered by Dienekes to leave and save himself? Describe what kind of man you feel Xeones is.
Essay Topic 3
In Spartan culture, the citizen soldiers of Sparta acted as mentors to the sons of the others. List at least three effects of this practice, and explain them.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)