|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what valor in battle is Rooster offered new status as mothax?
2. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
3. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
4. What message does Leonidas leave for Greeks who are conscripted into service to the Persians?
5. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Xeones denounces Xerxes as a poor king. Why does Xoenes feel that Xerxes is a poor king? How does Xeones describe a good king? In your own words, describe Xerxes as a king, and tell whether you think he is a good king or not, and why.
Essay Topic 2
The Spartans hold a unique view of war and enemies. Explain the Spartan view of war and their enemies. Compare and contrast this view to the views of other ancient warrior civilizations.
Essay Topic 3
In ancient Greece, just like many other ancient civilizations, crimes were punished much more severely than they are now. Many crimes involving stealing would result in losing a hand, or having the hands crippled. Have students write an essay answering the following questions:
1. What are these kinds of punishments no longer in use? What caused them to be discontinued in the Western world?
2. Are these kinds of punishments still in use today? If they are, then where, and why?
3. Do you feel that capital and corporal punishment is appropriate punishment for most crimes? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)