Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
2. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
3. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
4. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
5. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
Essay Topic 1
By simply maintaining military discipline, the Spartans are able to defeat many enemies in battle who do not know discipline. Define discipline. Why is discipline so important on the battlefield? Is it equally important off the field? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The preferred style of combat for the Spartans is the heavy infantry phalanx. Answer the following questions about the Spartan phalanx:
1. Describe the structure of the phalanx.
2. What role does discipline play in the successful phalanx?
3. What role does cohesive teamwork play in the successful phalanx?
4. What strengths and weaknesses does the phalanx have?
Essay Topic 3
In Spartan culture, the citizen soldiers of Sparta acted as mentors to the sons of the others. List at least three effects of this practice, and explain them.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)