|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dienekes order Xeones to do?
2. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
3. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
4. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
5. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Xerxes to decide to stay in Greece and complete his campaign?
2. What occurs at Thermopylae during the wait for the Persians?
3. Why do the Persian soldiers not hinder the Greeks in their escape?
4. What factors push the Spartans into a decisive battle with the Persians?
5. What happens when Rooster returns to the Greeks on the second day of battle?
6. Describe the plan to assault Xerxes in his own tent.
7. How is the 300 man force composed?
8. Why does Xerxes trust Xeones?
9. What happens when Leonidas frees the helots on the last day of battle?
10. How is Rooster spared and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In ancient Greece, just like many other ancient civilizations, crimes were punished much more severely than they are now. Many crimes involving stealing would result in losing a hand, or having the hands crippled. Have students write an essay answering the following questions:
1. What are these kinds of punishments no longer in use? What caused them to be discontinued in the Western world?
2. Are these kinds of punishments still in use today? If they are, then where, and why?
3. Do you feel that capital and corporal punishment is appropriate punishment for most crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
After the battle at Thermopylae, The Persians capture the body of King Leonidas, and mutilate it. Describe what they do to his body. For what reasons might the Persians commit this act of disrespect and defilement on the body of the Spartan king? What about this bothers Xerxes? How does it affect Xerxes' decision making and performance?
Describe the dreams that Xerxes has after Leonidas' body is mutilated. Why is he so plagued by these nightmares? Is he afraid? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
During the battle at Thermopylae, several soldiers are caught trying to desert. Answer the following questions:
1. What reasons do the men give for desertion?
2. What reasons does Leonidas give for allowing the men to flee?
3. Why do some of the men beg to be allowed to return to duty after the speech that Leonidas gives?
4. How do the other men feel about those who desert? What do the other men want to do about it?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)