|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears to Diomache in a dream after she aborted her pregnancy and was ill?
2. How does Arete convince the Peers to spare the child of Rooster?
3. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
4. Why is Xerxes having trouble sleeping?
5. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the landscape of the Hot Gates, and the advantages that it provides the Spartans. Are there any advantages in the landscape for the Persians? Why do the Spartans choose this as the place for the battle?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, several examples of the differences between Leonidas and Xerxes are given. In what ways are the two kings different? In what ways are they the same? In your opinion, who is the better king? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
1. In ancient Sparta, as well as today, soldiers are trained by simulating real battle conditions. During these training exercises, soldiers can undergo severe physical and mental stress, and can actually die from the training, or in training accidents. What other disadvantages might there be to of such training methods? What are the benefits?
2. How are the training methods of the ancient Spartans like the methods used my most of the world today? How are they different?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)