Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
2. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
3. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
4. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
5. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
Essay Topic 1
Xeones denounces Xerxes as a poor king. Why does Xoenes feel that Xerxes is a poor king? How does Xeones describe a good king? In your own words, describe Xerxes as a king, and tell whether you think he is a good king or not, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Xeones describes several things that are common to ancient warfare, such as smoke and fire, rape, and the mutilation of the enemy dead. What other factors are common to ancient warfare? Why do these things occur in ancient times? Do they still happen today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The preferred style of combat for the Spartans is the heavy infantry phalanx. Answer the following questions about the Spartan phalanx:
1. Describe the structure of the phalanx.
2. What role does discipline play in the successful phalanx?
3. What role does cohesive teamwork play in the successful phalanx?
4. What strengths and weaknesses does the phalanx have?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)