|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
2. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
3. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
4. How are Spartan boys punished?
5. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes become impatient with Xeones?
2. Who is Bruxieus?
3. Who catches Alexandros not using his shield properly? What happens?
4. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
5. What happens to Xeones after his city is burned?
6. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
7. What is a helot?
8. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
9. How do the Spartans count their dead?
10. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Xeones denounces Xerxes as a poor king. Why does Xoenes feel that Xerxes is a poor king? How does Xeones describe a good king? In your own words, describe Xerxes as a king, and tell whether you think he is a good king or not, and why.
Essay Topic 2
The Spartans hold a unique view of war and enemies. Explain the Spartan view of war and their enemies. Compare and contrast this view to the views of other ancient warrior civilizations.
Essay Topic 3
For the first day of the battle, the Greeks are able to fend off several attacks that, simply by the number of soldiers, should have crushed them. All the way to the bitter end, the Greeks are able to inflict great damage on the army of Persia. Describe the strategies used by the Greeks, from the first crossing of arms to the last.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)