|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
2. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
3. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
4. What is othismos?
5. How do the Spartans count their dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
2. What is the outcome of the battle?
3. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
4. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
5. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
6. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
7. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
8. What happens to the scribe after being captured?
9. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
10. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
Essay Topic 1
In Spartan culture, the citizen soldiers of Sparta acted as mentors to the sons of the others. List at least three effects of this practice, and explain them.
Essay Topic 2
There exists between all soldiers of honor and bravery, a certain respect and admiration. What examples of this are given in the book? Compare these to examples of honor and/or bravery in other literary works. Answer the question, "What is the opposite of fear?"
Essay Topic 3
What is an all-sire unit? Explain what it means to be an all-sire unit. What would it be like to be a member of one of these units? Compare the Spartan all-sire units with similar units of other civilizations and times.
This section contains 1,964 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)