Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
2. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
3. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
4. What is othismos?
5. How do the Spartans count their dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
2. What is the outcome of the battle?
3. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
4. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
5. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
6. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
7. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
8. What happens to the scribe after being captured?
9. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
10. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
Essay Topic 1
What is an all-sire unit? Explain what it means to be an all-sire unit. What would it be like to be a member of one of these units? Compare the Spartan all-sire units with similar units of other civilizations and times.
Essay Topic 2
Xeones denounces Xerxes as a poor king. Why does Xoenes feel that Xerxes is a poor king? How does Xeones describe a good king? In your own words, describe Xerxes as a king, and tell whether you think he is a good king or not, and why.
Essay Topic 3
For the first day of the battle, the Greeks are able to fend off several attacks that, simply by the number of soldiers, should have crushed them. All the way to the bitter end, the Greeks are able to inflict great damage on the army of Persia. Describe the strategies used by the Greeks, from the first crossing of arms to the last.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)