|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
2. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
3. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
4. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
5. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
2. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
3. Describe the Spartan line formation.
4. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
5. How does Dienekes feel about Tommie's suggestion that Sparta join Persia by choice?
6. What is the story behind Dienekes and Arete?
7. Why do the Spartans punish their young boys by whipping them?
8. What is a helot?
9. Describe the Spartan games.
10. Who is Bruxieus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Spartan culture, the citizen soldiers of Sparta acted as mentors to the sons of the others. List at least three effects of this practice, and explain them.
Essay Topic 2
In ancient Greece, just like many other ancient civilizations, crimes were punished much more severely than they are now. Many crimes involving stealing would result in losing a hand, or having the hands crippled. Have students write an essay answering the following questions:
1. What are these kinds of punishments no longer in use? What caused them to be discontinued in the Western world?
2. Are these kinds of punishments still in use today? If they are, then where, and why?
3. Do you feel that capital and corporal punishment is appropriate punishment for most crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1. In ancient Sparta, as well as today, soldiers are trained by simulating real battle conditions. During these training exercises, soldiers can undergo severe physical and mental stress, and can actually die from the training, or in training accidents. What other disadvantages might there be to of such training methods? What are the benefits?
2. How are the training methods of the ancient Spartans like the methods used my most of the world today? How are they different?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)