|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boys are there in the training platoons, according to Xeones?
2. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
3. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
4. Thermopylae is described as what?
5. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
2. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
3. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
4. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
5. Who is Bruxieus?
6. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
7. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
8. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
9. How do the Spartans count their dead?
10. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the battle at Thermopylae, several soldiers are caught trying to desert. Answer the following questions:
1. What reasons do the men give for desertion?
2. What reasons does Leonidas give for allowing the men to flee?
3. Why do some of the men beg to be allowed to return to duty after the speech that Leonidas gives?
4. How do the other men feel about those who desert? What do the other men want to do about it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the landscape of the Hot Gates, and the advantages that it provides the Spartans. Are there any advantages in the landscape for the Persians? Why do the Spartans choose this as the place for the battle?
Essay Topic 3
The Spartans hold a unique view of war and enemies. Explain the Spartan view of war and their enemies. Compare and contrast this view to the views of other ancient warrior civilizations.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)