|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What obstacle separates the two sides of the battleground?
2. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
3. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
4. For what is Xeones punished after the battle at Antirhion?
5. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Spartans count their dead?
2. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
3. What is a helot?
4. Describe the Spartan games.
5. How does Xeones come to be in the Persian camp?
6. What happens to Xeones after his city is burned?
7. Why do the Spartans punish their young boys by whipping them?
8. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
9. Who is Bruxieus?
10. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Xeones describes several things that are common to ancient warfare, such as smoke and fire, rape, and the mutilation of the enemy dead. What other factors are common to ancient warfare? Why do these things occur in ancient times? Do they still happen today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There exists between all soldiers of honor and bravery, a certain respect and admiration. What examples of this are given in the book? Compare these to examples of honor and/or bravery in other literary works. Answer the question, "What is the opposite of fear?"
Essay Topic 3
What causes Leonidas to offer freedom to the helots, and allow anyone who does not want to stand and die the opportunity to leave? Why do he and his men remain to fight the Persians, knowing that they will die? What are some reasons that so many of them leave? Does leaving the field of battle, knowing that they can not win and will die, make all of the men who leave cowards? Explain your answer.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)