|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Xeones punished after the battle at Antirhion?
2. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
3. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
4. Who is Diomache?
5. How old are Xeones and Diomache when they separate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Xerxes to decide to stay in Greece and complete his campaign?
2. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
3. What happens when Leonidas frees the helots on the last day of battle?
4. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
5. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
6. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
7. How does Xeones come to be in the Persian camp?
8. How do the Spartans count their dead?
9. Describe the fight between Medes and Greeks.
10. Who catches Alexandros not using his shield properly? What happens?
Essay Topic 1
By simply maintaining military discipline, the Spartans are able to defeat many enemies in battle who do not know discipline. Define discipline. Why is discipline so important on the battlefield? Is it equally important off the field? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, several examples of the differences between Leonidas and Xerxes are given. In what ways are the two kings different? In what ways are they the same? In your opinion, who is the better king? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When the Persians arrive at the Hot Gates, they take about two days to attack. What are they doing during that time? Why does it take so long?
Describe the stress and anxiety that might build up for the Greeks over the course of a couple of days of waiting for an attack from a force that greatly outnumbers them. Is it important to distract the soldiers from this stress? Why or why not?
How does Leonidas have his men deal with it? What ways of dealing with the stress do some of the men find for themselves? How would you suggest dealing with pre-battle stress, and why?
This section contains 1,933 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)