Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
2. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
3. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
4. What is othismos?
5. How do the Spartans count their dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
2. What is the outcome of the battle?
3. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
4. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
5. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
6. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
7. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
8. What happens to the scribe after being captured?
9. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
10. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
1. In ancient Sparta, as well as today, soldiers are trained by simulating real battle conditions. During these training exercises, soldiers can undergo severe physical and mental stress, and can actually die from the training, or in training accidents. What other disadvantages might there be to of such training methods? What are the benefits?
2. How are the training methods of the ancient Spartans like the methods used my most of the world today? How are they different?
Describe the landscape of the Hot Gates, and the advantages that it provides the Spartans. Are there any advantages in the landscape for the Persians? Why do the Spartans choose this as the place for the battle?
In Spartan culture, the citizen soldiers of Sparta acted as mentors to the sons of the others. List at least three effects of this practice, and explain them.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)