|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does agoge boua mean?
2. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
3. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
4. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
5. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Xeones after his city is burned?
2. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
3. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
4. What is the story behind Dienekes and Arete?
5. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
6. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
7. Why do the Spartans punish their young boys by whipping them?
8. What is the outcome of the battle?
9. What is a helot?
10. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In ancient Greece, just like many other ancient civilizations, crimes were punished much more severely than they are now. Many crimes involving stealing would result in losing a hand, or having the hands crippled. Have students write an essay answering the following questions:
1. What are these kinds of punishments no longer in use? What caused them to be discontinued in the Western world?
2. Are these kinds of punishments still in use today? If they are, then where, and why?
3. Do you feel that capital and corporal punishment is appropriate punishment for most crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
By simply maintaining military discipline, the Spartans are able to defeat many enemies in battle who do not know discipline. Define discipline. Why is discipline so important on the battlefield? Is it equally important off the field? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What role do the women play in ancient Sparta? What rights and restrictions do they have? Compare and contrast the role of women in ancient Spartan culture to other warrior societies. Compare the role of women in ancient Sparta to the role of women in the modern world.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)