|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is othismos?
2. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
3. Thermopylae is described as what?
4. To whom does Xeones tell his story?
5. Who is the half helot's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
2. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
3. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
4. Describe the Spartan games.
5. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
6. How does Xeones begin his story?
7. How does Dienekes feel about Tommie's suggestion that Sparta join Persia by choice?
8. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
9. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
10. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Spartans hold a unique view of war and enemies. Explain the Spartan view of war and their enemies. Compare and contrast this view to the views of other ancient warrior civilizations.
Essay Topic 2
There exists between all soldiers of honor and bravery, a certain respect and admiration. What examples of this are given in the book? Compare these to examples of honor and/or bravery in other literary works. Answer the question, "What is the opposite of fear?"
Essay Topic 3
The preferred style of combat for the Spartans is the heavy infantry phalanx. Answer the following questions about the Spartan phalanx:
1. Describe the structure of the phalanx.
2. What role does discipline play in the successful phalanx?
3. What role does cohesive teamwork play in the successful phalanx?
4. What strengths and weaknesses does the phalanx have?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)