|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
2. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
3. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
4. There is a battle on the plain west of Antirhion. Who do the Spartans fight there?
5. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
2. How does Dienekes feel about Tommie's suggestion that Sparta join Persia by choice?
3. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
4. Why does Xerxes become impatient with Xeones?
5. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
6. Why do the Spartans punish their young boys by whipping them?
7. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
8. Who catches Alexandros not using his shield properly? What happens?
9. What is a helot?
10. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arete offers Xeones some money and the chance to flee Sparta before the army marches off to war. Why does she do this? What causes Xeones to refuse to fleet Sparta when Arete offers him the chance to escape? What causes him to remain with the Spartans in battle, even after he is ordered by Dienekes to leave and save himself? Describe what kind of man you feel Xeones is.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Xeones describes several things that are common to ancient warfare, such as smoke and fire, rape, and the mutilation of the enemy dead. What other factors are common to ancient warfare? Why do these things occur in ancient times? Do they still happen today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Xeones denounces Xerxes as a poor king. Why does Xoenes feel that Xerxes is a poor king? How does Xeones describe a good king? In your own words, describe Xerxes as a king, and tell whether you think he is a good king or not, and why.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)