|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the half helot friend of Xeones?
2. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
3. How do the Spartans view war?
4. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
5. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
2. Describe the Spartan games.
3. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
4. How does Xeones come to be in the Persian camp?
5. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
6. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
7. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
8. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
9. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
10. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What causes Leonidas to offer freedom to the helots, and allow anyone who does not want to stand and die the opportunity to leave? Why do he and his men remain to fight the Persians, knowing that they will die? What are some reasons that so many of them leave? Does leaving the field of battle, knowing that they can not win and will die, make all of the men who leave cowards? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Spartans hold a unique view of war and enemies. Explain the Spartan view of war and their enemies. Compare and contrast this view to the views of other ancient warrior civilizations.
Essay Topic 3
The preferred style of combat for the Spartans is the heavy infantry phalanx. Answer the following questions about the Spartan phalanx:
1. Describe the structure of the phalanx.
2. What role does discipline play in the successful phalanx?
3. What role does cohesive teamwork play in the successful phalanx?
4. What strengths and weaknesses does the phalanx have?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)