|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
2. Where is Rooster's mother's city?
3. How many boys are there in the training platoons, according to Xeones?
4. What does Polynikes do after dealing with Alexandros?
5. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
2. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
3. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
4. Why does Xerxes become impatient with Xeones?
5. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
6. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
7. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
8. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
9. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
10. Why do the Spartans punish their young boys by whipping them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the battle at Thermopylae, several soldiers are caught trying to desert. Answer the following questions:
1. What reasons do the men give for desertion?
2. What reasons does Leonidas give for allowing the men to flee?
3. Why do some of the men beg to be allowed to return to duty after the speech that Leonidas gives?
4. How do the other men feel about those who desert? What do the other men want to do about it?
Essay Topic 2
What role do the women play in ancient Sparta? What rights and restrictions do they have? Compare and contrast the role of women in ancient Spartan culture to other warrior societies. Compare the role of women in ancient Sparta to the role of women in the modern world.
Essay Topic 3
Xeones denounces Xerxes as a poor king. Why does Xoenes feel that Xerxes is a poor king? How does Xeones describe a good king? In your own words, describe Xerxes as a king, and tell whether you think he is a good king or not, and why.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)