Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
2. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
3. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
4. What is othismos?
5. How do the Spartans count their dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
2. What is the outcome of the battle?
3. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
4. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
5. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
6. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
7. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
8. What happens to the scribe after being captured?
9. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
10. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the landscape of the Hot Gates, and the advantages that it provides the Spartans. Are there any advantages in the landscape for the Persians? Why do the Spartans choose this as the place for the battle?
Essay Topic 2
In Spartan culture, the citizen soldiers of Sparta acted as mentors to the sons of the others. List at least three effects of this practice, and explain them.
Essay Topic 3
What causes Leonidas to offer freedom to the helots, and allow anyone who does not want to stand and die the opportunity to leave? Why do he and his men remain to fight the Persians, knowing that they will die? What are some reasons that so many of them leave? Does leaving the field of battle, knowing that they can not win and will die, make all of the men who leave cowards? Explain your answer.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)