|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dienekes tell Alexandros after Polynikes' lecture?
2. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
3. What is othismos?
4. Who is Xerxes?
5. What are the names of the two dogs that Xeones and Diomache find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
2. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
3. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
4. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
5. What is the story behind Dienekes and Arete?
6. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
7. How does Dienekes feel about Tommie's suggestion that Sparta join Persia by choice?
8. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
9. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
10. Describe the Spartan line formation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the landscape of the Hot Gates, and the advantages that it provides the Spartans. Are there any advantages in the landscape for the Persians? Why do the Spartans choose this as the place for the battle?
Essay Topic 2
What is an all-sire unit? Explain what it means to be an all-sire unit. What would it be like to be a member of one of these units? Compare the Spartan all-sire units with similar units of other civilizations and times.
Essay Topic 3
During the battle at Thermopylae, several soldiers are caught trying to desert. Answer the following questions:
1. What reasons do the men give for desertion?
2. What reasons does Leonidas give for allowing the men to flee?
3. Why do some of the men beg to be allowed to return to duty after the speech that Leonidas gives?
4. How do the other men feel about those who desert? What do the other men want to do about it?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)