|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Xeones to continue the story?
2. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
3. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
4. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
5. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
2. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
3. What is the story behind Dienekes and Arete?
4. How do the Spartans count their dead?
5. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
6. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
7. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
8. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
9. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
10. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an all-sire unit? Explain what it means to be an all-sire unit. What would it be like to be a member of one of these units? Compare the Spartan all-sire units with similar units of other civilizations and times.
Essay Topic 2
The Spartans hold a unique view of war and enemies. Explain the Spartan view of war and their enemies. Compare and contrast this view to the views of other ancient warrior civilizations.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, several examples of the differences between Leonidas and Xerxes are given. In what ways are the two kings different? In what ways are they the same? In your opinion, who is the better king? Explain your answer.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)