|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
2. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
3. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
4. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
5. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dienekes feel about Tommie's suggestion that Sparta join Persia by choice?
2. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
3. How does Xeones begin his story?
4. Why do the Spartans punish their young boys by whipping them?
5. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
6. Describe the Spartan line formation.
7. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
8. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
9. What is the outcome of the battle?
10. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the landscape of the Hot Gates, and the advantages that it provides the Spartans. Are there any advantages in the landscape for the Persians? Why do the Spartans choose this as the place for the battle?
Essay Topic 2
For the first day of the battle, the Greeks are able to fend off several attacks that, simply by the number of soldiers, should have crushed them. All the way to the bitter end, the Greeks are able to inflict great damage on the army of Persia. Describe the strategies used by the Greeks, from the first crossing of arms to the last.
Essay Topic 3
After the battle at Thermopylae, The Persians capture the body of King Leonidas, and mutilate it. Describe what they do to his body. For what reasons might the Persians commit this act of disrespect and defilement on the body of the Spartan king? What about this bothers Xerxes? How does it affect Xerxes' decision making and performance?
Describe the dreams that Xerxes has after Leonidas' body is mutilated. Why is he so plagued by these nightmares? Is he afraid? Explain your answers.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)