|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
(a) They shout insults at the Persians.
(b) They attack the Persians.
(c) They surrender to the Persians.
(d) They run away.
2. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
(a) Rooster authorizes it.
(b) Dienekes authorizes it.
(c) Polynikes authorizes it.
(d) King Leonidas authorizes it.
3. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
(a) He believes it all to be lies.
(b) He believes it is true, but has no bearing on the battles ahead.
(c) He finds it entertaining, but is unsure of its truth.
(d) He believes that it is true and pertinent to the war efforts.
4. What two groups fight the first encounter?
(a) The Spartans fight the Egyptians.
(b) The Thespians fight the Armenians.
(c) The Thespians fight the Medes.
(d) The Spartans fight the Persians.
5. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
(a) He sees Xerxes in a dream of prophesy.
(b) He is a member of the raiding party that attempts to kill Xerxes in his tent.
(c) He sees Xerxes in battle.
(d) He sees Xerxes in the Persian court while traveling as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. When king Leonidas gives his speech on the night of the arrival of the Persian force, to whom is he speaking?
2. What punishment is actually dealt out to Rooster?
3. What secret does Arete tell Xeones in Chapter 20?
4. How does Arete convince the Peers to spare the child of Rooster?
5. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
2. Describe the first day of battle.
3. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
4. What happens when Leonidas frees the helots on the last day of battle?
5. Explain what the author means when he calls the 300 an all-sire unit.
6. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
7. Describe the plan to assault Xerxes in his own tent.
8. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
9. Describe the Medes who first entered battle with the Greeks.
10. What happens when Rooster returns to the Greeks on the second day of battle?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)