|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
(a) He shows Xerxes the place where his blade tore the wall of the tent in a back corner.
(b) He recognizes the officer who threw the axe at him and wounded Alexandros.
(c) He can offer only his word of honor that he is telling the truth.
(d) He has several witnesses who admit that they saw him there.
2. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
(a) Xerxes sees Leonidas as whole and alive once again.
(b) Xerxes sees Leonidas as a vengeful spirit, ready to haunt Xerxes or eternity.
(c) Xerxes sees Leonidas beheaded, with his body nailed to a tree and his head impaled on a spike.
(d) Xerxes sees Leonidas as he might have been as a child.
3. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
(a) He has twin sons.
(b) He has twin sons and then a daughter.
(c) He has a son and a daughter who are twins.
(d) He has three daughters.
4. When does Darius of Persia die?
(a) He dies three years after the battle at Antirhion.
(b) He dies three years before the battle at Antirhion.
(c) He dies during the battle at Antirhion.
(d) He dies on the Ides of March.
5. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
(a) What is the opposite of fear?
(b) What exactly is fear?
(c) Why does fear hold such power over men?
(d) Why do men fight wars?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Spartans discover on their way to the tent of Xerxes?
2. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
3. What is the purpose of an all-sire unit?
4. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
5. What punishment is actually dealt out to Rooster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Leonidas frees the helots on the last day of battle?
2. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
3. Why do the Persian soldiers not hinder the Greeks in their escape?
4. What occurs at Thermopylae during the wait for the Persians?
5. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
6. How is Rooster spared and why?
7. Describe the first day of battle.
8. Describe what the Persians do to the body of the Spartan king, Leonidas.
9. How is the 300 man force composed?
10. Why does Xerxes trust Xeones?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)