|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dienekes decide that the opposite of fear is?
(a) The opposite of fear is glory.
(b) The opposite of fear is courage.
(c) The opposite of fear is love.
(d) The opposite of fear is aphobia.
2. What happens to the raiding party that saves the life of Xerxes?
(a) They go to the wrong tent at first, and have to go back.
(b) One of the members of the raiding party trips and makes enough noise in his fall to alert the Persians.
(c) Some exotic birds escape their cages and confuse the Spartans.
(d) One of Xerxes' officers stumbles upon the raiding party as they are entering the tent.
3. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
(b) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
(c) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
(d) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
4. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
(a) The Oracle tells them to stand and fight for their freedom.
(b) The Oracle tells them to fly to the ends of the earth.
(c) The Oracle tells them to bargain with Persia.
(d) The Oracle tells them to remain neutral.
5. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
(a) King Leonidas authorizes it.
(b) Polynikes authorizes it.
(c) Rooster authorizes it.
(d) Dienekes authorizes it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of an all-sire unit?
2. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
3. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
4. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
5. When does Darius of Persia die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
2. Why does Xerxes trust Xeones?
3. How is Rooster spared and why?
4. Describe the plan to assault Xerxes in his own tent.
5. Describe the fight between Medes and Greeks.
6. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
7. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
8. Why do the Persian soldiers not hinder the Greeks in their escape?
9. What factors push the Spartans into a decisive battle with the Persians?
10. What causes Xerxes to decide to stay in Greece and complete his campaign?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)