|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
(b) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
(c) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
(d) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
2. What happens to the raiding party that saves the life of Xerxes?
(a) One of Xerxes' officers stumbles upon the raiding party as they are entering the tent.
(b) Some exotic birds escape their cages and confuse the Spartans.
(c) One of the members of the raiding party trips and makes enough noise in his fall to alert the Persians.
(d) They go to the wrong tent at first, and have to go back.
3. What oath does Alexandros swear the night of Rooster's trial?
(a) He swears that Rooster will never be seen again.
(b) He swears that he will show mercy on Rooster in honor of their friendship.
(c) He swears that he will carry out the orders of the krypteis give him.
(d) He swears that if ever Rooster meets them on the field of battle, that he will slay Rooster himself.
4. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
(a) Athens is defended by a small band of fanatics only.
(b) Athens is completely abandoned.
(c) Athens is defended by the full Athenian legions.
(d) Athens is defended by the Spartans.
5. Why is Xerxes having trouble sleeping?
(a) He is being plagued by nightmares and guilt over the desecration of Leonidas' body.
(b) He has contracted a terrible illness from one of the injured soldiers.
(c) He cannot sleep after the slaughter of battle.
(d) He has dysentery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
2. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
3. For what valor in battle is Rooster offered new status as mothax?
4. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
5. Why does Leonidas keep the three hundred from getting new cloaks?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)