|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two groups fight the first encounter?
(a) The Spartans fight the Persians.
(b) The Thespians fight the Armenians.
(c) The Spartans fight the Egyptians.
(d) The Thespians fight the Medes.
2. What secret does Arete tell Xeones in Chapter 20?
(a) She tells him that she has been in love with him for years.
(b) She tells him that she has been having an affair with Leonidas for years.
(c) She tells him that she had been in love with Dienekes e since she was a young girl, even while married to his brother.
(d) She tells him that the son of Rooster really was Dienekes' child.
3. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
(a) All of his experienced fighters are old, and he wants some young muscle to help carry the workload.
(b) He runs out of heroes, and is forced to include young men who have little or no fighting experience.
(c) He believes that the chain is made stronger by including unproven links mixed in with the more experienced.
(d) He hand selects each soldier, knowing that all of them will die, because he needs men that are expendable.
4. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
(a) They attack the Persians.
(b) They surrender to the Persians.
(c) They shout insults at the Persians.
(d) They run away.
5. The three hundred and their allies are to be met by a thousand heavy infantry from Phokis and Lokris. What do they find instead?
(a) They find only half of the troop they were expecting.
(b) They find the Persians waiting there for them.
(c) They find the area abandoned with the exception of a few local people.
(d) They find the Egyptian Tommie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oracle tell the Spartans?
2. What is the last thing that Xerxes says to Xeones as Chapter 19 closes?
3. What oath does Alexandros swear the night of Rooster's trial?
4. What does Dienekes decide that the opposite of fear is?
5. What does Lady Arete's letter to Diomache say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
2. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
3. What happens when Rooster returns to the Greeks on the second day of battle?
4. What factors push the Spartans into a decisive battle with the Persians?
5. What happens when Leonidas frees the helots on the last day of battle?
6. Why does Arete claim the child of Rooster is really the child of her husband Dienekes? What unforeseen effect does this have?
7. Why do the Spartans decide to send only 300 men?
8. Describe the Medes who first entered battle with the Greeks.
9. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
10. What occurs at Thermopylae during the wait for the Persians?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)