|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
(a) What is the opposite of fear?
(b) Why do men fight wars?
(c) Why does fear hold such power over men?
(d) What exactly is fear?
2. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
(a) They are a few miles outside of Sparta.
(b) They are just leaving Thermopylae.
(c) They are at the Three-Cornered Way in Attika.
(d) They are in the hills outside of Thessaly.
3. How do the Persian forces surround the Greeks?
(a) They sail around and march up from behind.
(b) They sneak around the Greeks during the night.
(c) They are told of a moutain pass by a Greek traitor.
(d) They go around the mountain.
4. Why does Arete give Xeones coins?
(a) She gives him the money as a gift for his birthday.
(b) She is paying him for his service to her husband.
(c) She is bribing him to remain silent of what he saw when he caught her with Polynikes.
(d) She gives him the money to run away with and avoid death with the three hundred.
5. How many men make up the party that attacks Xerxes' tent?
(a) There are eleven men.
(b) There are eight men.
(c) There are seven men.
(d) There are tweny men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
2. Who does Xeones marry?
3. Once the Spartans make their discovery, what do they do about it?
4. What does the Oracle tell the Spartans?
5. Who are the non-Spartan members of the raiding party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
2. Describe the plan to assault Xerxes in his own tent.
3. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
4. Describe the fight between Medes and Greeks.
5. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
6. What causes Xerxes to decide to stay in Greece and complete his campaign?
7. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
8. What factors push the Spartans into a decisive battle with the Persians?
9. Describe what the Persians do to the body of the Spartan king, Leonidas.
10. Describe the first day of battle.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)