|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
(b) They could mass as many men as they care to.
(c) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
(d) They could mass one thousand men at most.
2. Why does Leonidas keep the three hundred from getting new cloaks?
(a) He wants to wait until after the battle so the new cloaks won't get torn and bloody.
(b) He feels that it would be a waste of the city's resources to replace the cloaks of men who will not get to use them long.
(c) He feels that there is no time for the ceremony, and that he and his men must leave immediately.
(d) He wants to wait until after the battle so he will not get cloaks for those who won't survive.
3. What punishment is actually dealt out to Rooster?
(a) He is beaten with wooden rods.
(b) He is exiled and sent to the Persians.
(c) He is absolved of his crime.
(d) He is slain by the krypteia.
4. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
(a) No one comes for him.
(b) Twenty Peers come for him.
(c) Polynikes and four assassins of the krypteia came for him.
(d) The royal guard came for him.
5. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
(a) They are in the hills outside of Thessaly.
(b) They are just leaving Thermopylae.
(c) They are at the Three-Cornered Way in Attika.
(d) They are a few miles outside of Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what valor in battle is Rooster offered new status as mothax?
2. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
3. What do the Spartans discover on their way to the tent of Xerxes?
4. If the krypteia have their way, how is Rooster to be punished for rejecting the offer?
5. Who are the non-Spartan members of the raiding party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
2. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
3. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
4. How is the 300 man force composed?
5. Why does Xerxes trust Xeones?
6. Why do the Spartans decide to send only 300 men?
7. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
8. Describe what the Persians do to the body of the Spartan king, Leonidas.
9. Describe the plan to assault Xerxes in his own tent.
10. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)