|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 29, what does Xeones say is the only thing a man really wants?
(a) He says that all a man wants is to die with honor.
(b) He says that all a man wants is wealth.
(c) He says that all a man wants is a good woman.
(d) He says that all a man wants is to live.
2. What does Dienekes order Xeones to do?
(a) He orders Xeones to deliver a message for him.
(b) He orders Xeones to run.
(c) He orders Xeones to fight valiantly.
(d) He orders Xeones to stay back and observe, so that he may tell the story later.
3. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
(a) There are three hundred.
(b) There are twenty thousand.
(c) There are two million.
(d) There are three thousand.
4. What is mothax?
(a) It is the grade of warrior youths somewhere between full citizen and helot.
(b) It is freedom from taxes.
(c) It is the highest title of honor for Spartans.
(d) It is a golden metal awarded for valor.
5. How many men make up the party that attacks Xerxes' tent?
(a) There are eleven men.
(b) There are tweny men.
(c) There are eight men.
(d) There are seven men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
2. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
3. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
4. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
5. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Leonidas frees the helots on the last day of battle?
2. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
3. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
4. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
5. Why do the Spartans decide to send only 300 men?
6. Describe what the Persians do to the body of the Spartan king, Leonidas.
7. Why does Arete claim the child of Rooster is really the child of her husband Dienekes? What unforeseen effect does this have?
8. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
9. What happens when Rooster returns to the Greeks on the second day of battle?
10. Why does Xerxes trust Xeones?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)