|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Arete convince the Peers to spare the child of Rooster?
(a) She kidnaps the child and flees Sparta.
(b) She convinces them that whatever the father might have done, it is no fault of the child's.
(c) She pays bribes to them to allow the child to go.
(d) She and her husband swear that the child is his, and not Rooster's.
2. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
(a) They take it as a sign that the Persians will overpower them.
(b) They think that the dog crushing the rabbit in its jaws signifies the empire of Persia crushing Greece.
(c) They find it amusing and take it as good entertainment.
(d) They take it as a sign that they will be victorious.
3. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
(a) They are seen by General Mardonius.
(b) They do not encounter anyone on their flight from the Persian camp.
(c) They come across Persian soldiers rising for the morning.
(d) They run into another group of Egyptian marines.
4. What does Lady Arete's letter to Diomache say?
(a) The letter says that Xeones' death will be honored.
(b) The letter is to free Diomache from her service at the temple.
(c) The letter says that Xeones is free from his service and may marry Diomache.
(d) The letter is a personal letter between old friends.
5. What oath does Arete swear to Xeones?
(a) She swears to befriend his cousin Diomache and keep her company.
(b) She swears that his cousin will hear of his honor in battle and where his body lies.
(c) She swears to never tell about his secret love.
(d) She swears to help take care of his son after he is gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leonidas keep the three hundred from getting new cloaks?
2. Knowing that everyone will die the next day, what does Leonidas tell his men?
3. What does the Oracle tell the Spartans?
4. What happens to the raiding party that saves the life of Xerxes?
5. What is the standing order of Dienekes while on campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Greeks enter the tent of Xerxes that ultimately saves his life?
2. Describe the Medes who first entered battle with the Greeks.
3. What factors push the Spartans into a decisive battle with the Persians?
4. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
5. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
6. What causes Xerxes to decide to stay in Greece and complete his campaign?
7. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
8. Why does Xerxes trust Xeones?
9. How is Rooster spared and why?
10. What happens when Rooster returns to the Greeks on the second day of battle?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)