|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
(a) There are twenty thousand.
(b) There are two million.
(c) There are three thousand.
(d) There are three hundred.
2. What is mothax?
(a) It is freedom from taxes.
(b) It is the highest title of honor for Spartans.
(c) It is the grade of warrior youths somewhere between full citizen and helot.
(d) It is a golden metal awarded for valor.
3. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
(a) The enemy will overrun and destroy you.
(b) Fly to the corners of the earth.
(c) The wooden wall alone shall not fail you.
(d) Only with the Spartans may you defeat the enemy.
4. What does Rooster suggest to Xeones and Alexandros?
(a) He tells them that they should desert and return home, because the Spartans would be overrun by the next day.
(b) He tells them that he knows of a way to get a dozen men to the tent of the Persian king.
(c) He tells them that they should abandon the army and join the Persians, just like him.
(d) He tells them to fight with valor, and die a warrior's death.
5. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
(a) There are about one thousand men left.
(b) There are about one hundred men left.
(c) There are about five hundred men left.
(d) There are about sixty men left.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Rooster related to Dienekes?
2. What drives Polynikes according to Dienekes?
3. What message does Leonidas leave for Greeks who are conscripted into service to the Persians?
4. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
5. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
2. How is the 300 man force composed?
3. Explain what the author means when he calls the 300 an all-sire unit.
4. Describe the plan to assault Xerxes in his own tent.
5. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
6. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
7. What happens when Leonidas frees the helots on the last day of battle?
8. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
9. What occurs at Thermopylae during the wait for the Persians?
10. Describe the fight between Medes and Greeks.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)