|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the standing order of Dienekes while on campaign?
(a) Dienekes is to be allowed to sleep until he wakes on his own.
(b) Dienekes is to be awakened with the dawn.
(c) Dienekes is to be awakened about mid-day.
(d) Dienekes is to be awakened two hours before sunrise.
2. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
(a) There are two million.
(b) There are three hundred.
(c) There are three thousand.
(d) There are twenty thousand.
3. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
(a) They are attacked and must remain to defend their city.
(b) They have all been slain by the Persians.
(c) They go over to the Persian side.
(d) They are nearly overrun by the Persians, so they flee.
4. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
(b) They could mass one thousand men at most.
(c) They could mass as many men as they care to.
(d) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
5. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
(a) They call it the Acropolis.
(b) They call it The Mound.
(c) They call it the royal compound.
(d) They call it The Great Hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mothax?
2. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
3. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
4. What is the purpose of an all-sire unit?
5. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes trust Xeones?
2. Why do the Persian soldiers not hinder the Greeks in their escape?
3. Why does Arete claim the child of Rooster is really the child of her husband Dienekes? What unforeseen effect does this have?
4. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
5. Describe what the Persians do to the body of the Spartan king, Leonidas.
6. Describe the fight between Medes and Greeks.
7. How is the 300 man force composed?
8. Why do the Spartans decide to send only 300 men?
9. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
10. What main advantage do the Spartans have over the Persians?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)