|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of an all-sire unit?
(a) An ancient belief forbids Spartans from sending men into battle who have not yet fathered a son.
(b) While they are away on campaign, their sons can take care of the home.
(c) When they die, they will have living male heirs to carry on their names.
(d) When they die, their sons can then be conscripted.
2. Why does Arete give Xeones coins?
(a) She is bribing him to remain silent of what he saw when he caught her with Polynikes.
(b) She gives him the money as a gift for his birthday.
(c) She is paying him for his service to her husband.
(d) She gives him the money to run away with and avoid death with the three hundred.
3. What does Lady Arete's letter to Diomache say?
(a) The letter says that Xeones' death will be honored.
(b) The letter is a personal letter between old friends.
(c) The letter says that Xeones is free from his service and may marry Diomache.
(d) The letter is to free Diomache from her service at the temple.
4. Once the Spartans make their discovery, what do they do about it?
(a) They split into two teams, and pursue both the mission and the new discovery.
(b) They send Telamonias back to report to Leonidas.
(c) They abandon their mission.
(d) They ignore it and continue with the mission.
5. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
(a) All of his experienced fighters are old, and he wants some young muscle to help carry the workload.
(b) He runs out of heroes, and is forced to include young men who have little or no fighting experience.
(c) He hand selects each soldier, knowing that all of them will die, because he needs men that are expendable.
(d) He believes that the chain is made stronger by including unproven links mixed in with the more experienced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
2. According to Xerxes, what is the greatest desire of Xeones?
3. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
4. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
5. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
2. Describe the fight between Medes and Greeks.
3. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
4. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
5. What happens when the Greeks enter the tent of Xerxes that ultimately saves his life?
6. Describe the Medes who first entered battle with the Greeks.
7. What occurs at Thermopylae during the wait for the Persians?
8. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
9. Why do the Spartans decide to send only 300 men?
10. What happens when Rooster returns to the Greeks on the second day of battle?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)