|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Xeones father?
(a) He has a son and a daughter.
(b) He has two daughters.
(c) He has two sons.
(d) He only has one child, a son.
2. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
(a) There are about one thousand men left.
(b) There are about one hundred men left.
(c) There are about sixty men left.
(d) There are about five hundred men left.
3. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
(a) They have all been slain by the Persians.
(b) They go over to the Persian side.
(c) They are attacked and must remain to defend their city.
(d) They are nearly overrun by the Persians, so they flee.
4. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
(a) What exactly is fear?
(b) Why do men fight wars?
(c) Why does fear hold such power over men?
(d) What is the opposite of fear?
5. What message does Leonidas leave for Greeks who are conscripted into service to the Persians?
(a) If under compulsion you must fight us your brothers, fight badly.
(b) You are traitors. May the gods curse you all.
(c) It is better to die free than live a slave.
(d) You have no choice. You are forgiven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the raiding party?
2. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
3. For what valor in battle is Rooster offered new status as mothax?
4. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
5. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plan to assault Xerxes in his own tent.
2. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
3. Describe the Medes who first entered battle with the Greeks.
4. Describe the fight between Medes and Greeks.
5. What factors push the Spartans into a decisive battle with the Persians?
6. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
7. What causes Xerxes to decide to stay in Greece and complete his campaign?
8. Explain what the author means when he calls the 300 an all-sire unit.
9. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
10. Describe what the Persians do to the body of the Spartan king, Leonidas.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)