|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
(a) There are about one hundred men left.
(b) There are about one thousand men left.
(c) There are about five hundred men left.
(d) There are about sixty men left.
2. Why does Arete give Xeones coins?
(a) She is paying him for his service to her husband.
(b) She gives him the money as a gift for his birthday.
(c) She is bribing him to remain silent of what he saw when he caught her with Polynikes.
(d) She gives him the money to run away with and avoid death with the three hundred.
3. Why does Leonidas keep the three hundred from getting new cloaks?
(a) He wants to wait until after the battle so the new cloaks won't get torn and bloody.
(b) He wants to wait until after the battle so he will not get cloaks for those who won't survive.
(c) He feels that it would be a waste of the city's resources to replace the cloaks of men who will not get to use them long.
(d) He feels that there is no time for the ceremony, and that he and his men must leave immediately.
4. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
(a) Athens is defended by a small band of fanatics only.
(b) Athens is completely abandoned.
(c) Athens is defended by the full Athenian legions.
(d) Athens is defended by the Spartans.
5. What is the standing order of Dienekes while on campaign?
(a) Dienekes is to be awakened with the dawn.
(b) Dienekes is to be awakened about mid-day.
(c) Dienekes is to be awakened two hours before sunrise.
(d) Dienekes is to be allowed to sleep until he wakes on his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Arete's letter to Diomache say?
2. What is the last thing that Xerxes says to Xeones as Chapter 19 closes?
3. How many men make up the party that attacks Xerxes' tent?
4. Why does Medon take the baby after the Peers all go home?
5. What oath does Arete swear to Xeones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
2. Describe the Medes who first entered battle with the Greeks.
3. What causes Xerxes to decide to stay in Greece and complete his campaign?
4. What happens when Rooster returns to the Greeks on the second day of battle?
5. How is Rooster spared and why?
6. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
7. Describe what the Persians do to the body of the Spartan king, Leonidas.
8. Describe the first day of battle.
9. What occurs at Thermopylae during the wait for the Persians?
10. Why do the Spartans decide to send only 300 men?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)