|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
(a) They call it the void.
(b) They call it phobology.
(c) They call it phobologiea.
(d) They call it aphobia.
2. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
(a) It is mainly mercenaries hired from neighboring kingdoms.
(b) It is mainly well trained regulars, career soldiers.
(c) It is mainly citizen soldiers.
(d) It is an unorganized rabble of bandits and highwaymen.
3. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
(a) Alexandros dies on the final night.
(b) Rooster dies on the final night.
(c) Dekton dies on the final night.
(d) Hermion dies on the final night.
4. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
(a) It is called The Oak.
(b) It is called The Ploughman's Blade.
(c) It is called sparring.
(d) It is called The Breaking.
5. What obstacle separates the two sides of the battleground?
(a) A low stone wall bisects the field.
(b) A palisade bisects the field.
(c) A swift river runs through the center of the field.
(d) A creek bisects the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
2. What does agoge boua mean?
3. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
4. How are Spartan boys punished?
5. Why does Xeones refuse to narrate anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
2. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
3. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
4. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
5. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
6. How do the Spartans count their dead?
7. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
8. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
9. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
10. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)