|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
(a) He puts the boy through a lengthy and humiliating training drill.
(b) He bans Alexandros from the practice fields for life.
(c) He kindly shows the boy the proper way of handling the shield.
(d) He beats the boy senseless.
2. How do the Spartans view war?
(a) The Spartans see war to be simply work in the business of killing as many of the enemy as possible.
(b) The Spartans see war as a good form of population control.
(c) The Spartans see war as the only way to peace.
(d) The Spartans see war as a terrible abomination.
3. How does Polynikes react to Alexandros' answer?
(a) He is angered.
(b) He is saddened.
(c) He does not care.
(d) He is happy.
4. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
(a) He is trying to steal a chicken.
(b) He is trying to steal a horse.
(c) He is trying to steal some cabbage.
(d) He is trying to steal a goose.
5. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
(a) He describes him as a young warrior, inexperienced in battle, but fierce and strong.
(b) He describes him as a silly old man, full of outdated ideas.
(c) He describes him as a warrior over forty-years-old who carries wounds from many battles.
(d) He describes him as a great hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is oktonyktia?
2. What is panoplia?
3. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
4. How are Spartan boys punished?
5. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
2. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
3. How does Xeones begin his story?
4. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
5. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
6. Who is Bruxieus?
7. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
8. Who catches Alexandros not using his shield properly? What happens?
9. What happens to Xeones after his city is burned?
10. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)