|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
(a) It is mainly citizen soldiers.
(b) It is mainly well trained regulars, career soldiers.
(c) It is mainly mercenaries hired from neighboring kingdoms.
(d) It is an unorganized rabble of bandits and highwaymen.
2. Why do the Antirhions lose the battle?
(a) There are traitors in the line.
(b) They are far outnumbered by the Spartans.
(c) They allow fear to take control.
(d) They lack the advanced weaponry of the Spartans.
3. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
(a) They take the ferry.
(b) They go around.
(c) They swim.
(d) They hire a boat.
4. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
(b) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(c) They are whipped with sticks.
(d) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
5. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
(a) He berates them for their lack of courage and for their weakness.
(b) He thanks the survivors and honors the fallen, while refocusing their attention on the main battle to come.
(c) He congratulates them on their great victory and releases them for a day to pillage the city.
(d) He congratulates them on the victory, and commends their behavior towards the prisoners.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
2. Who is the half helot's father?
3. For what is Xeones punished after the battle at Antirhion?
4. How do the Spartans view war?
5. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bruxieus?
2. Describe the Spartan games.
3. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
4. Why do the Spartans punish their young boys by whipping them?
5. What is a helot?
6. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
7. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
8. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
9. What happens to Xeones after his city is burned?
10. How does Xeones begin his story?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)