|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It is done to confuse the enemy.
(b) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
(c) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(d) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
2. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
(a) He feels that it is reckless.
(b) He admires Alexandros' courage.
(c) He feels like Alexandros should just mind his own business.
(d) He does not care.
3. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
(b) He prefers to use a longbow.
(c) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
(d) He prefers to use his two short swords.
4. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) He is already married.
(b) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(c) He does not love her.
(d) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
5. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
(a) He wants to hear "A Tale of Two Cities".
(b) He wants to hear about Spartan life during times of peace.
(c) He wants to hear "the infantryman's tale".
(d) He wants to hear a tale of generals and kings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
2. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
3. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
4. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
5. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
2. How do the Spartans count their dead?
3. What is a helot?
4. Who is Bruxieus?
5. How does Xeones begin his story?
6. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
7. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
8. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
9. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
10. What is the story behind Dienekes and Arete?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)