|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
(b) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
2. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the hymn to Castor.
(b) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(c) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(d) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
3. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
(a) He berates them for their lack of courage and for their weakness.
(b) He thanks the survivors and honors the fallen, while refocusing their attention on the main battle to come.
(c) He congratulates them on the victory, and commends their behavior towards the prisoners.
(d) He congratulates them on their great victory and releases them for a day to pillage the city.
4. What obstacle separates the two sides of the battleground?
(a) A creek bisects the field.
(b) A low stone wall bisects the field.
(c) A palisade bisects the field.
(d) A swift river runs through the center of the field.
5. How do the Spartans view war?
(a) The Spartans see war as the only way to peace.
(b) The Spartans see war as a good form of population control.
(c) The Spartans see war to be simply work in the business of killing as many of the enemy as possible.
(d) The Spartans see war as a terrible abomination.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Spartan boys punished?
2. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
3. What does Polynikes do after dealing with Alexandros?
4. What do the Spartans do when they reach the field of battle?
5. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
2. Who catches Alexandros not using his shield properly? What happens?
3. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
4. What is the story behind Dienekes and Arete?
5. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
6. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
7. Describe the Spartan games.
8. Describe the Spartan line formation.
9. How does Xeones begin his story?
10. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)