|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Paraleio?
(a) She is the mother of Alexandros.
(b) She is the wife of Xerxes.
(c) She is the cousin of Xeones.
(d) She is a prostitute.
2. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
(a) The farmers cut off his right hand.
(b) The farmers beat him severely.
(c) He is made to pay for what he stole.
(d) The farmers drive nails through his hands.
3. Who is Dienekes' squire?
(a) Suicide is his squire.
(b) Alexandros is his squire.
(c) Rooster is his squire.
(d) Xeones is his squire.
4. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
(b) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(c) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
5. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
(a) It is called The Ploughman's Blade.
(b) It is called sparring.
(c) It is called The Breaking.
(d) It is called The Oak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Xerxes?
2. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
3. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
4. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
5. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dienekes feel about Tommie's suggestion that Sparta join Persia by choice?
2. How does Xeones come to be in the Persian camp?
3. Describe the Spartan games.
4. Who is Bruxieus?
5. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
6. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
7. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
8. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
9. What happens to Xeones after his city is burned?
10. Why does Xerxes become impatient with Xeones?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)