|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It is done to confuse the enemy.
(b) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
(c) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
(d) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
2. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
(a) He describes him as a warrior over forty-years-old who carries wounds from many battles.
(b) He describes him as a silly old man, full of outdated ideas.
(c) He describes him as a great hero.
(d) He describes him as a young warrior, inexperienced in battle, but fierce and strong.
3. What is panoplia?
(a) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(b) It is an eight night training exercise.
(c) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(d) It is the lake near Sparta.
4. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
(a) His spirit roams the battlefield until eventually settling back into his body.
(b) The Fate Clotho weaves his thread back into the pattern of life.
(c) He is given an elixir of immortality.
(d) Apollo returns him to life.
5. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
(a) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear will be the salvation of Sparta.
(b) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is a great weapon.
(c) Apollo tells Xeones that he will be killed by with a spear.
(d) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is an inelegant weapon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
2. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
3. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
4. How old are Xeones and Diomache when they separate?
5. What are the names of the two dogs that Xeones and Diomache find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
2. What is a helot?
3. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
4. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
5. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
6. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
7. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
8. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
9. What happens to Xeones after his city is burned?
10. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)