|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Xeones refuse to narrate anymore?
(a) He realizes that telling Xerxes of Spartan warfare is treason.
(b) He learns that Xerxes is going to kill him after he completes his story.
(c) He grows bored with the work.
(d) He finds out about the mutilation of king Leonidas' body.
2. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
(a) It is called The Breaking.
(b) It is called The Oak.
(c) It is called The Ploughman's Blade.
(d) It is called sparring.
3. Where do Xeones and Alexandros catch up to the Spartan army?
(a) They catch up to them at the hot gate.
(b) They catch up to them at Thermopylae.
(c) They catch up to them at Antirhion.
(d) They catch up to them at Rhion.
4. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(b) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
(c) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
(d) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
5. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
(a) The king remains at the front of the lines, where he can be a part of the action at all times.
(b) The king commands from the back of the army where it is safer.
(c) The king usually stays at the center of his army, so that his men surround him at all times.
(d) The king does not go with his army, but sends a general in his stead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Lady Arete asking about?
2. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
3. What does agoge boua mean?
4. What is othismos?
5. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bruxieus?
2. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
3. How does Xeones begin his story?
4. Describe the Spartan games.
5. What is the story behind Dienekes and Arete?
6. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
7. Describe the Spartan line formation.
8. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
9. How do the Spartans count their dead?
10. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)