|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of the two dogs that Xeones and Diomache find?
(a) The dogs are Happy and Lucky.
(b) The dogs are Lucky and Bruno.
(c) The dogs are Leonidas and Xerxes.
(d) The dogs are Bruno and Flanx.
2. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
(b) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
3. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
(b) He numbers it at about two million men.
(c) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(d) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
4. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
(a) They join Polynikes in berating Alexandros.
(b) They politely leave the area to avoid overhearing.
(c) They rap their knuckles on the table.
(d) They ignore the speech.
5. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the narrator of the story.
(b) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
(c) He is the king of the Persian empire.
(d) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
2. What do the Spartans do when they reach the field of battle?
3. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
4. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
5. What is Hermion's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes become impatient with Xeones?
2. Describe the Spartan line formation.
3. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
4. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
5. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
6. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
7. Who is Bruxieus?
8. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
9. What is the outcome of the battle?
10. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)