|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
(a) Alexandros is Xeones' sparring partner.
(b) Xerxes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(c) Rooster is Xeones' sparring partner.
(d) Polynikes is Xeones' sparring partner.
2. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
(a) He wants to hear "A Tale of Two Cities".
(b) He wants to hear a tale of generals and kings.
(c) He wants to hear "the infantryman's tale".
(d) He wants to hear about Spartan life during times of peace.
3. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
(a) He prefers a death by freezing to the slow, painful death he will have due to his fever.
(b) He is depressed that he cannot fight with a spear.
(c) He is depressed that his girlfriend broke up with him.
(d) He is depressed that his family is dead.
4. Where is Rooster's mother's city?
(a) His mother's city is Messenia.
(b) His mother's city is Athens.
(c) His mother's city is Antirhion.
(d) His mother's city is Sparta.
5. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
(a) He puts the boy through a lengthy and humiliating training drill.
(b) He beats the boy senseless.
(c) He bans Alexandros from the practice fields for life.
(d) He kindly shows the boy the proper way of handling the shield.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
2. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
3. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
4. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
5. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Leonidas frees the helots on the last day of battle?
2. Explain what the author means when he calls the 300 an all-sire unit.
3. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
4. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
5. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
6. Describe Xeones' opinion of king Xerxes.
7. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
8. Who is Bruxieus?
9. What happens to Xeones after his city is burned?
10. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)