|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
(a) Rooster dies on the final night.
(b) Hermion dies on the final night.
(c) Alexandros dies on the final night.
(d) Dekton dies on the final night.
2. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
(a) She was raped.
(b) She is ugly.
(c) She is too old.
(d) She has a large scar on her face.
3. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
(a) They separate when they reach Athens.
(b) They separate at a fork in the road called Three Corners.
(c) They separate at The Crossroads.
(d) They separate just before reaching Sparta.
4. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
(a) The farmers beat him severely.
(b) The farmers cut off his right hand.
(c) He is made to pay for what he stole.
(d) The farmers drive nails through his hands.
5. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) About twenty thousand were slain.
(b) About four thousand were slain.
(c) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(d) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Spartan boys punished?
2. Where is Rooster's mother's city?
3. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
4. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
5. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Spartans count their dead?
2. What is the outcome of the battle?
3. What else happens on the last day of the battle at Thermopylae?
4. Why do the Persian soldiers not hinder the Greeks in their escape?
5. How does Xeones begin his story?
6. What causes Xerxes to decide to stay in Greece and complete his campaign?
7. Where has Xeones seen Xerxes before he is brought into his tent?
8. Describe Xeones' opinion of king Xerxes.
9. Explain what the author means when he calls the 300 an all-sire unit.
10. What kind of force arrives at Thermopylae to meet the Persians?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)