|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
(a) They are designed as a way to pass time.
(b) They are designed to entertain the boys and keep them out of trouble.
(c) They are designed as entertainment for the people.
(d) They are designed to simulate battle for training.
2. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(b) He is already married.
(c) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
(d) He does not love her.
3. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
(b) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
(c) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
(d) He tells them to never surrender.
4. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are whipped with sticks.
(b) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
(c) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(d) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
5. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
(a) They are given extra labor.
(b) They are whipped.
(c) They are heavily lectured on responsibility, but otherwise let off the hook.
(d) They are locked in a small cell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Spartans view war?
2. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
3. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
4. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
5. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bruxieus?
2. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
3. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
4. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
5. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
6. How do the Spartans count their dead?
7. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
8. How does Xeones come to be in the Persian camp?
9. Describe the Spartan line formation.
10. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)