|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
(a) Hermion dies on the final night.
(b) Dekton dies on the final night.
(c) Rooster dies on the final night.
(d) Alexandros dies on the final night.
2. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
(a) The king commands from the back of the army where it is safer.
(b) The king usually stays at the center of his army, so that his men surround him at all times.
(c) The king does not go with his army, but sends a general in his stead.
(d) The king remains at the front of the lines, where he can be a part of the action at all times.
3. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
(a) Spartans wrestle and run.
(b) Spartans train at controlling their fear.
(c) Spartans make sacrifices to their gods.
(d) Spartans love to fish.
4. Who is Paraleio?
(a) She is a prostitute.
(b) She is the wife of Xerxes.
(c) She is the mother of Alexandros.
(d) She is the cousin of Xeones.
5. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(c) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hermion's nickname?
2. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
3. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
4. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
5. How do the Spartans view war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
2. Describe the Spartan games.
3. What is the outcome of the battle?
4. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
5. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
6. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
7. Why does Xerxes become impatient with Xeones?
8. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
9. What happens to Xeones after his city is burned?
10. Who is Bruxieus?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)