|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
(a) War is a great and glorious undertaking.
(b) War is, unfortunately, unavoidable.
(c) Men who make their business warfare rather than farming perform better on the field.
(d) War is a bloody business, and not for the faint of heart.
2. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
(b) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(c) The Persians were the first to arrive.
(d) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
3. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
(a) He describes him as a young warrior, inexperienced in battle, but fierce and strong.
(b) He describes him as a silly old man, full of outdated ideas.
(c) He describes him as a warrior over forty-years-old who carries wounds from many battles.
(d) He describes him as a great hero.
4. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
(a) They are raised according to the code of Chivalry.
(b) They are raised according to Bushido.
(c) They are raised according to the Lykurgan warrior code.
(d) They are raised according to the code of Hammurabi.
5. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
(a) He is eighteen.
(b) He is nine.
(c) He is in his middle teens.
(d) He is twelve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
2. Why do the Antirhions lose the battle?
3. Who does Diomache take with her?
4. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
5. How do the Spartans view war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Xeones begin his story?
2. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
3. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
4. How do the Spartans count their dead?
5. How does Xeones come to be in the Persian camp?
6. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
7. How do Alexandros and Xeones get across the Gulf of Corinth when following the army?
8. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
9. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
10. What is the story behind Dienekes and Arete?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)