|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
(a) They separate at a fork in the road called Three Corners.
(b) They separate at The Crossroads.
(c) They separate when they reach Athens.
(d) They separate just before reaching Sparta.
2. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
(a) Polynikes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(b) Xerxes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(c) Alexandros is Xeones' sparring partner.
(d) Rooster is Xeones' sparring partner.
3. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
(a) Apollo tells Xeones that he will be killed by with a spear.
(b) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is an inelegant weapon.
(c) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is a great weapon.
(d) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear will be the salvation of Sparta.
4. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
(b) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(c) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
(d) It is done to confuse the enemy.
5. Who is the Lady Arete asking about?
(a) She is asking about Rooster.
(b) She is asking about Leonidas.
(c) She is asking about Xerxes.
(d) She is asking about Xeones.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
2. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
3. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
4. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
5. How do the Spartans count their dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
2. Who catches Alexandros not using his shield properly? What happens?
3. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
4. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
5. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
6. How does Xeones come to be in the Persian camp?
7. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
8. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
9. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
10. Why does Xerxes become impatient with Xeones?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)