|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
(a) Spartans train at controlling their fear.
(b) Spartans make sacrifices to their gods.
(c) Spartans wrestle and run.
(d) Spartans love to fish.
2. Who is Dienekes' squire?
(a) Alexandros is his squire.
(b) Xeones is his squire.
(c) Suicide is his squire.
(d) Rooster is his squire.
3. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
(a) He tells Polynikes that the battle didn't effect him at all.
(b) He tells Polynikes that he experienced a bloodlust during the battle.
(c) He tells Polynikes that he was amused by the ease with which they defeated the enemy.
(d) He tells Polynikes that the battle made him sick.
4. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
(b) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
(c) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
(d) He takes the survivors as slaves.
5. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
(a) They separate at The Crossroads.
(b) They separate just before reaching Sparta.
(c) They separate at a fork in the road called Three Corners.
(d) They separate when they reach Athens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Xeones and Diomache when they separate?
2. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
3. What obstacle separates the two sides of the battleground?
4. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
5. Who does Diomache take with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
2. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
3. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
4. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
5. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
6. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
7. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
8. Who is Bruxieus?
9. What is the story behind Dienekes and Arete?
10. How do the Spartans count their dead?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)