|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
(a) They go around.
(b) They hire a boat.
(c) They take the ferry.
(d) They swim.
2. To whom does Rooster become a squire?
(a) He becomes the squire of Olympieus.
(b) He becomes the squire of Xerxes.
(c) He becomes the squire of Leonidas.
(d) He became the squire of Dienekes.
3. Who are the two narrators of this story?
(a) The scribe and Xeones are the narrators.
(b) Ball Player and Rooster are the narrators.
(c) Xerxes and Leonidas are the narrators.
(d) There is only one narrator, Xeones.
4. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
(b) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(c) The Persians were the first to arrive.
(d) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
5. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
(a) They separate just before reaching Sparta.
(b) They separate when they reach Athens.
(c) They separate at The Crossroads.
(d) They separate at a fork in the road called Three Corners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is exoterike harmoniea?
2. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
3. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
4. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
5. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
2. How does Dienekes feel about Tommie's suggestion that Sparta join Persia by choice?
3. Describe the Spartan line formation.
4. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
5. Describe the plan to assault Xerxes in his own tent.
6. Why do the Persian soldiers not hinder the Greeks in their escape?
7. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
8. What is the outcome of the battle?
9. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
10. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)