|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
(b) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(c) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
(d) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
2. What does Polynikes do after dealing with Alexandros?
(a) He storms off the practice field in disgust.
(b) He sends everyone home for the day.
(c) He reports the boy's failure to his superiors.
(d) He puts all of the boys through the standard shield handling drills.
3. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
(a) His name was Tommie.
(b) His name was Agamemnon.
(c) His name was Steve.
(d) His name was Ptammitechus.
4. What is the half helot's nickname?
(a) His nickname is Suicide.
(b) His nickname is Bob.
(c) His nickname is Rooster.
(d) His nickname is Dog.
5. What is panoplia?
(a) It is an eight night training exercise.
(b) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(c) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(d) It is the lake near Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is othismos?
2. What does agoge boua mean?
3. How old are Xeones and Diomache when they separate?
4. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
5. Who is Diomache?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
2. Why do the Spartans punish their young boys by whipping them?
3. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
4. What is a helot?
5. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
6. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
7. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
8. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
9. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
10. How does Xeones begin his story?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)