|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) About twenty thousand were slain.
(b) About four thousand were slain.
(c) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(d) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
2. Alexandros wants to go to battle with the older Spartans. Who tries to stop him?
(a) Polynikes tries to stop him.
(b) His mother tries to stop him.
(c) Xeones tries to stop him.
(d) Leonidas tries to stop him.
3. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) She is too old.
(c) She has a large scar on her face.
(d) She was raped.
4. To whom does Xeones tell his story?
(a) He tells it to Lady Arete.
(b) He tells it to Leonidas.
(c) He tells it to Xerxes.
(d) He tells it to a scribe.
5. How does Polynikes react to Alexandros' answer?
(a) He does not care.
(b) He is saddened.
(c) He is angered.
(d) He is happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
2. How old are Xeones and Diomache when they separate?
3. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
4. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
5. By what other name is Sparta called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Polynikes seem to think that Spartans are better than any other men?
2. How does Xeones describe the Spartan view on war?
3. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
4. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
5. What is a helot?
6. How do the Spartans count their dead?
7. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
8. How does Xeones begin his story?
9. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
10. Why does Diomache feel that no one will want to marry her?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)