Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
(a) Apollo tells Xeones that he will be killed by with a spear.
(b) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is an inelegant weapon.
(c) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is a great weapon.
(d) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear will be the salvation of Sparta.
2. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
(a) They are designed as a way to pass time.
(b) They are designed as entertainment for the people.
(c) They are designed to entertain the boys and keep them out of trouble.
(d) They are designed to simulate battle for training.
3. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
(a) They separate at The Crossroads.
(b) They separate just before reaching Sparta.
(c) They separate when they reach Athens.
(d) They separate at a fork in the road called Three Corners.
4. What is othismos?
(a) Othismos is the euphoria that comes upon the victor after a battle.
(b) Othismos is the initial collision on the battlefield and the chaos that follows.
(c) Othismos is one of the ancient Spartan sacrificial rites.
(d) Othismos is a field near Sparta where the Spartan boys train.
5. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(b) They stand in formation and count off.
(c) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
(d) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
2. How do the Spartans view war?
3. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
4. Who are the two narrators of this story?
5. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Xerxes not want to face the Spartans in Sparta?
2. What is the outcome of the battle?
3. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
4. What kinds of items do the Spartan soldiers carry with them?
5. Why do the Spartans want to kill Rooster and his infant son?
6. How are Xeones and Alexandros assigned after the battle at Antirhion?
7. Why does Xeones refuse to continue with the story? What happens that causes him to continue?
8. What happens to the scribe after being captured?
9. What does Arete offer Xeones? What is Xeones' response?
10. What disturbs Xerxes, the Persian king?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)