|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
(a) He tells them to go to Athens.
(b) He tells them to go to Thessaly.
(c) He tells them to go to Sparta.
(d) He tells them to go to Rome.
2. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
(b) He prefers to use a longbow.
(c) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
(d) He prefers to use his two short swords.
3. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Greek for "hot springs".
(b) It is Greek for "hot gates".
(c) It is Greek for "spa".
(d) It is Egyptian profanity.
4. By what other name is Sparta called?
(a) Sparta is also called Thermopylae.
(b) Sparta is also called The Hot Gates.
(c) Sparta is also called Mount Oracle.
(d) Sparta is also called Lakedaemon.
5. How does Polynikes react to Alexandros' answer?
(a) He is angered.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He does not care.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
2. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
3. What is the half helot's nickname?
4. To whom does Rooster become a squire?
5. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Spartans realize that the boys followed them, what is the punishment that Xeones must endure?
2. Who catches Alexandros not using his shield properly? What happens?
3. Why does the author jump from place to place in the story?
4. Describe the training exercise at the Oaks.
5. How does Xeones begin his story?
6. Describe the Spartan line formation.
7. Who is Bruxieus?
8. What does the lady Arete reveal to Xeones?
9. Why do the Spartans punish their young boys by whipping them?
10. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)