|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the half helot's father?
(a) His father had been a Spartan soldier.
(b) His father is a farmer.
(c) His father is king Leonidas.
(d) His father is a member of the council.
2. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
3. What is oktonyktia?
(a) It is an eight-night training exercise.
(b) It is the lake near Sparta.
(c) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(d) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
4. Why do the Antirhions lose the battle?
(a) They are far outnumbered by the Spartans.
(b) They allow fear to take control.
(c) There are traitors in the line.
(d) They lack the advanced weaponry of the Spartans.
5. For what is Xeones punished after the battle at Antirhion?
(a) He is punished for his recklessness on the field of battle.
(b) He is punished for not reporting in a timely fashion.
(c) He is punished for following the army.
(d) He is punished for mouthing off to a superior officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Xerxes?
2. How do the Spartans count their dead?
3. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
4. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
5. How many boys are there in the training platoons, according to Xeones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Xeones depressed? What happens?
2. How does Xeones come to follow the Spartan army when they march out to war?
3. Describe the battlefield at Antirhion.
4. Describe the Spartan line formation.
5. What is the concern of the lady Paraleio, Alexandros' mother?
6. How do the Spartans count their dead?
7. Describe the relationship between Alexandros and Xeones.
8. How does Xeones come to be in the Persian camp?
9. Why does Xerxes want to hear about the Spartans?
10. What is a helot?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)