|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
(a) The Oracle tells them to bargain with Persia.
(b) The Oracle tells them to fly to the ends of the earth.
(c) The Oracle tells them to stand and fight for their freedom.
(d) The Oracle tells them to remain neutral.
2. Why is Xerxes having trouble sleeping?
(a) He has dysentery.
(b) He cannot sleep after the slaughter of battle.
(c) He is being plagued by nightmares and guilt over the desecration of Leonidas' body.
(d) He has contracted a terrible illness from one of the injured soldiers.
3. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
(a) He sees the sheer cliffs of the pass.
(b) He sees the bath houses.
(c) He sees a large fox.
(d) He sees the Persians.
4. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
(a) They call it The Great Hill.
(b) They call it the royal compound.
(c) They call it The Mound.
(d) They call it the Acropolis.
5. What do the Spartans discover on their way to the tent of Xerxes?
(a) They find out that Rooster is leading them into a trap.
(b) They find out that Xerxes has found a path around the gates, and that he has ordered troops to surround the Greeks.
(c) They discover a much better patch of ground on which to fight the Persians.
(d) They find out that Xerxes has caught wind of their plan, and has moved his tent.
6. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
(a) He sees Xerxes in battle.
(b) He sees Xerxes in a dream of prophesy.
(c) He is a member of the raiding party that attempts to kill Xerxes in his tent.
(d) He sees Xerxes in the Persian court while traveling as a child.
7. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
(a) It is the Persian general Mardonius.
(b) It is the traitor, Rooster.
(c) It is king Xerxes.
(d) It is the lady Artemisia.
8. What does Dienekes order Xeones to do?
(a) He orders Xeones to stay back and observe, so that he may tell the story later.
(b) He orders Xeones to deliver a message for him.
(c) He orders Xeones to fight valiantly.
(d) He orders Xeones to run.
9. For what valor in battle is Rooster offered new status as mothax?
(a) He breaks the Persian line.
(b) He defeats an armed Persian with his bare hands.
(c) He captures an enemy officer.
(d) He rescues Olympieus.
10. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) They could mass one thousand men at most.
(b) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
(c) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
(d) They could mass as many men as they care to.
11. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
(a) They were afraid of the Persians, and fled.
(b) They were already defeated.
(c) They got the time wrong, as the months have different names than in Sparta.
(d) They turned to the Persian side.
12. What does Rooster suggest to Xeones and Alexandros?
(a) He tells them that they should desert and return home, because the Spartans would be overrun by the next day.
(b) He tells them that he knows of a way to get a dozen men to the tent of the Persian king.
(c) He tells them to fight with valor, and die a warrior's death.
(d) He tells them that they should abandon the army and join the Persians, just like him.
13. How is Rooster related to Dienekes?
(a) Rooster is his brother's bastard son.
(b) Rooster is not related to Dienekes.
(c) Rooster is his friend.
(d) Rooster is his son.
14. What does the merchant's sign say?
(a) It says "The best service in all of Greece."
(b) It says "The best service in all the land."
(c) It says "The best service only for you, my foreskin."
(d) It says "The best service only for you, my friend."
15. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
(a) They are attacked and must remain to defend their city.
(b) They are nearly overrun by the Persians, so they flee.
(c) They have all been slain by the Persians.
(d) They go over to the Persian side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
2. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
3. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
4. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
5. According to Xerxes, what is the greatest desire of Xeones?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)