|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Leonidas keep the three hundred from getting new cloaks?
(a) He feels that it would be a waste of the city's resources to replace the cloaks of men who will not get to use them long.
(b) He wants to wait until after the battle so he will not get cloaks for those who won't survive.
(c) He feels that there is no time for the ceremony, and that he and his men must leave immediately.
(d) He wants to wait until after the battle so the new cloaks won't get torn and bloody.
2. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
(a) He lists Alexandros, Orontes, Ephesus, and himself.
(b) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Rooster, and himself.
(c) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Dienekes, and himself.
(d) He lists Alexandros, Dienekes, Orontes, and himself.
3. What oath does Arete swear to Xeones?
(a) She swears to help take care of his son after he is gone.
(b) She swears that his cousin will hear of his honor in battle and where his body lies.
(c) She swears to never tell about his secret love.
(d) She swears to befriend his cousin Diomache and keep her company.
4. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
(a) They got the time wrong, as the months have different names than in Sparta.
(b) They were already defeated.
(c) They turned to the Persian side.
(d) They were afraid of the Persians, and fled.
5. What happens to the raiding party?
(a) They fight against terrible odds, but manage to kill Xerxes before being killed to a man.
(b) Alexandros' hand is cut off, and a few others are killed, so Dienekes calls the retreat.
(c) They are captured.
(d) They fight to the death.
6. What happens to the raiding party that saves the life of Xerxes?
(a) One of Xerxes' officers stumbles upon the raiding party as they are entering the tent.
(b) Some exotic birds escape their cages and confuse the Spartans.
(c) One of the members of the raiding party trips and makes enough noise in his fall to alert the Persians.
(d) They go to the wrong tent at first, and have to go back.
7. Who does Xeones marry?
(a) He marries Diomache.
(b) He marries arete.
(c) He marries Thereia.
(d) He marries Agathe.
8. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
(a) It is the traitor, Rooster.
(b) It is the Persian general Mardonius.
(c) It is king Xerxes.
(d) It is the lady Artemisia.
9. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
(a) Only with the Spartans may you defeat the enemy.
(b) The wooden wall alone shall not fail you.
(c) The enemy will overrun and destroy you.
(d) Fly to the corners of the earth.
10. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
(a) He is fighting on the field of battle.
(b) He is writing in his journal.
(c) He is sharpening his sword blade.
(d) He is sleeping.
11. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
(a) He sees a large fox.
(b) He sees the bath houses.
(c) He sees the Persians.
(d) He sees the sheer cliffs of the pass.
12. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
(a) There are about sixty men left.
(b) There are about one thousand men left.
(c) There are about five hundred men left.
(d) There are about one hundred men left.
13. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
(a) He has three daughters.
(b) He has a son and a daughter who are twins.
(c) He has twin sons and then a daughter.
(d) He has twin sons.
14. What is mothax?
(a) It is freedom from taxes.
(b) It is a golden metal awarded for valor.
(c) It is the grade of warrior youths somewhere between full citizen and helot.
(d) It is the highest title of honor for Spartans.
15. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
(a) They call it The Mound.
(b) They call it The Great Hill.
(c) They call it the Acropolis.
(d) They call it the royal compound.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
2. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
3. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
4. Why does Medon take the baby after the Peers all go home?
5. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)