|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Other than Ball Player and the dog, who is the other volunteer?
(a) The other volunteer is Minoas, a traitor from the Persian army.
(b) He is a merchant from Miletus, and his name is Elephantinos.
(c) The other volunteer is Olaph, the wandering Arab.
(d) Tommie the Egyptian joined the Greeks.
2. What does Dienekes decide that the opposite of fear is?
(a) The opposite of fear is aphobia.
(b) The opposite of fear is glory.
(c) The opposite of fear is love.
(d) The opposite of fear is courage.
3. When king Leonidas gives his speech on the night of the arrival of the Persian force, to whom is he speaking?
(a) He is speaking to all of the allied officers and the Spartan officers.
(b) He is speaking to the Spartan officers.
(c) He is speaking to the entire combined forces.
(d) He is speaking to the allied officers.
4. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
(a) He has three daughters.
(b) He has twin sons.
(c) He has a son and a daughter who are twins.
(d) He has twin sons and then a daughter.
5. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
(a) He sees Xerxes in battle.
(b) He sees Xerxes in the Persian court while traveling as a child.
(c) He sees Xerxes in a dream of prophesy.
(d) He is a member of the raiding party that attempts to kill Xerxes in his tent.
6. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
(a) There are about one hundred men left.
(b) There are about sixty men left.
(c) There are about one thousand men left.
(d) There are about five hundred men left.
7. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
(a) The enemy will overrun and destroy you.
(b) Fly to the corners of the earth.
(c) Only with the Spartans may you defeat the enemy.
(d) The wooden wall alone shall not fail you.
8. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
(a) They are just leaving Thermopylae.
(b) They are a few miles outside of Sparta.
(c) They are at the Three-Cornered Way in Attika.
(d) They are in the hills outside of Thessaly.
9. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
(a) He is sharpening his sword blade.
(b) He is writing in his journal.
(c) He is sleeping.
(d) He is fighting on the field of battle.
10. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
(a) He comes to have the Greek submit to him, and to have them offer him earth and water.
(b) He comes to conquer the land for natural resources.
(c) He comes to avenge the death of his father.
(d) He comes to plunder the riches of Greece.
11. Who vouches for Xeones that he did not overhear details of the raid from the surgeons?
(a) Artemisia tells the king that the surgeons would not have known of such an attack.
(b) Mardonius speaks up for Xeones' honor.
(c) Orontes, captain of the Immortals informs the king that Xeones was never once left alone with them.
(d) King Xerxes trusts Xeones, and declares his words true.
12. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
(a) He can offer only his word of honor that he is telling the truth.
(b) He has several witnesses who admit that they saw him there.
(c) He recognizes the officer who threw the axe at him and wounded Alexandros.
(d) He shows Xerxes the place where his blade tore the wall of the tent in a back corner.
13. Who are the non-Spartan members of the raiding party?
(a) They are Rooster and Ball Player.
(b) They are Rooster and Tommie.
(c) They are Tommie and Dithyrambos.
(d) They are Dithyrambos and Doreion.
14. What drives Polynikes according to Dienekes?
(a) Polynikes is driven by his bloodlust.
(b) Polynikes has true andreia.
(c) Polynikes is driven by the greed for glory.
(d) Polynikes is driven the fear of dishonor.
15. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
(a) He runs out of heroes, and is forced to include young men who have little or no fighting experience.
(b) He hand selects each soldier, knowing that all of them will die, because he needs men that are expendable.
(c) He believes that the chain is made stronger by including unproven links mixed in with the more experienced.
(d) All of his experienced fighters are old, and he wants some young muscle to help carry the workload.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
2. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
3. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
4. Who makes up the only father-son pair in the three hundred?
5. Why is Xerxes having trouble sleeping?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)