|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
(a) Xerxes asks for him.
(b) Elephantinos asks for him.
(c) Tommie asks for him.
(d) Rooster asks for him.
2. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
(a) Only with the Spartans may you defeat the enemy.
(b) Fly to the corners of the earth.
(c) The enemy will overrun and destroy you.
(d) The wooden wall alone shall not fail you.
3. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
(a) The Oracle tells them to fly to the ends of the earth.
(b) The Oracle tells them to remain neutral.
(c) The Oracle tells them to bargain with Persia.
(d) The Oracle tells them to stand and fight for their freedom.
4. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
(b) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
(c) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
(d) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
5. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
(a) He comes to have the Greek submit to him, and to have them offer him earth and water.
(b) He comes to conquer the land for natural resources.
(c) He comes to avenge the death of his father.
(d) He comes to plunder the riches of Greece.
6. How does Arete convince the Peers to spare the child of Rooster?
(a) She convinces them that whatever the father might have done, it is no fault of the child's.
(b) She and her husband swear that the child is his, and not Rooster's.
(c) She pays bribes to them to allow the child to go.
(d) She kidnaps the child and flees Sparta.
7. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
(a) There are two million.
(b) There are three thousand.
(c) There are three hundred.
(d) There are twenty thousand.
8. Why does Leonidas keep the three hundred from getting new cloaks?
(a) He feels that it would be a waste of the city's resources to replace the cloaks of men who will not get to use them long.
(b) He feels that there is no time for the ceremony, and that he and his men must leave immediately.
(c) He wants to wait until after the battle so the new cloaks won't get torn and bloody.
(d) He wants to wait until after the battle so he will not get cloaks for those who won't survive.
9. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
(a) He is a member of the raiding party that attempts to kill Xerxes in his tent.
(b) He sees Xerxes in a dream of prophesy.
(c) He sees Xerxes in battle.
(d) He sees Xerxes in the Persian court while traveling as a child.
10. What nation is the second to assault the Greeks?
(a) The Armenians are the second group sent by the Persians.
(b) The Medes are the second group sent by the Persians.
(c) The Sacae are the second group sent by the Persians.
(d) The Egyptians are the second group sent by the Persians.
11. What two groups fight the first encounter?
(a) The Spartans fight the Persians.
(b) The Thespians fight the Medes.
(c) The Thespians fight the Armenians.
(d) The Spartans fight the Egyptians.
12. How is Rooster related to Dienekes?
(a) Rooster is his brother's bastard son.
(b) Rooster is his friend.
(c) Rooster is his son.
(d) Rooster is not related to Dienekes.
13. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
(a) The royal guard came for him.
(b) Twenty Peers come for him.
(c) No one comes for him.
(d) Polynikes and four assassins of the krypteia came for him.
14. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
(a) Xerxes sees Leonidas as a vengeful spirit, ready to haunt Xerxes or eternity.
(b) Xerxes sees Leonidas as whole and alive once again.
(c) Xerxes sees Leonidas as he might have been as a child.
(d) Xerxes sees Leonidas beheaded, with his body nailed to a tree and his head impaled on a spike.
15. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
(a) They are seen by General Mardonius.
(b) They run into another group of Egyptian marines.
(c) They do not encounter anyone on their flight from the Persian camp.
(d) They come across Persian soldiers rising for the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
2. What does Lady Arete's letter to Diomache say?
3. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
4. What is the last thing that Xerxes says to Xeones as Chapter 19 closes?
5. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)