|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Persians are in the advance force that takes Athens?
(a) There are fifty thousand men.
(b) There are only three hundred.
(c) There are several thousand.
(d) There are twenty thousand.
2. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
(a) Why do men fight wars?
(b) Why does fear hold such power over men?
(c) What exactly is fear?
(d) What is the opposite of fear?
3. Who appears to Diomache in a dream after she aborted her pregnancy and was ill?
(a) Persephone appears to her.
(b) Apollo appears to her.
(c) Zeus appears to her.
(d) Ares appears to her.
4. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartans do not feel that the Persians are a real threat to them, so three hundred should more than suffice.
(b) A larger force would not have room to fight, and would cause supply problems.
(c) The three hundred is only the advance force meant to hold off the Persians long enough for the main force to arrive.
(d) The Spartan senate refuses to send troops to Thermopylae, and the three hundred are the only volunteers.
5. When king Leonidas gives his speech on the night of the arrival of the Persian force, to whom is he speaking?
(a) He is speaking to the allied officers.
(b) He is speaking to all of the allied officers and the Spartan officers.
(c) He is speaking to the Spartan officers.
(d) He is speaking to the entire combined forces.
6. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
(a) They call it The Mound.
(b) They call it the Acropolis.
(c) They call it The Great Hill.
(d) They call it the royal compound.
7. What is the standing order of Dienekes while on campaign?
(a) Dienekes is to be allowed to sleep until he wakes on his own.
(b) Dienekes is to be awakened two hours before sunrise.
(c) Dienekes is to be awakened with the dawn.
(d) Dienekes is to be awakened about mid-day.
8. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
(b) They could mass as many men as they care to.
(c) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
(d) They could mass one thousand men at most.
9. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
(a) The Oracle tells them to fly to the ends of the earth.
(b) The Oracle tells them to remain neutral.
(c) The Oracle tells them to stand and fight for their freedom.
(d) The Oracle tells them to bargain with Persia.
10. If the krypteia have their way, how is Rooster to be punished for rejecting the offer?
(a) He is to be stripped of all rank and weapons and thrown out of the army.
(b) He is to be sold into slavery.
(c) He is to be allowed to go free.
(d) He and his family are to be put to death.
11. When does Darius of Persia die?
(a) He dies three years before the battle at Antirhion.
(b) He dies during the battle at Antirhion.
(c) He dies three years after the battle at Antirhion.
(d) He dies on the Ides of March.
12. How is Rooster related to Dienekes?
(a) Rooster is his friend.
(b) Rooster is his brother's bastard son.
(c) Rooster is not related to Dienekes.
(d) Rooster is his son.
13. What happens to the raiding party that saves the life of Xerxes?
(a) Some exotic birds escape their cages and confuse the Spartans.
(b) One of Xerxes' officers stumbles upon the raiding party as they are entering the tent.
(c) One of the members of the raiding party trips and makes enough noise in his fall to alert the Persians.
(d) They go to the wrong tent at first, and have to go back.
14. What do the Spartans discover on their way to the tent of Xerxes?
(a) They find out that Xerxes has found a path around the gates, and that he has ordered troops to surround the Greeks.
(b) They find out that Rooster is leading them into a trap.
(c) They discover a much better patch of ground on which to fight the Persians.
(d) They find out that Xerxes has caught wind of their plan, and has moved his tent.
15. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
(a) They run into another group of Egyptian marines.
(b) They come across Persian soldiers rising for the morning.
(c) They are seen by General Mardonius.
(d) They do not encounter anyone on their flight from the Persian camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leonidas say is the tell-all when battle comes?
2. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
3. What two groups fight the first encounter?
4. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
5. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)