|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
(a) He comes to avenge the death of his father.
(b) He comes to plunder the riches of Greece.
(c) He comes to conquer the land for natural resources.
(d) He comes to have the Greek submit to him, and to have them offer him earth and water.
2. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
(a) They find it amusing and take it as good entertainment.
(b) They think that the dog crushing the rabbit in its jaws signifies the empire of Persia crushing Greece.
(c) They take it as a sign that the Persians will overpower them.
(d) They take it as a sign that they will be victorious.
3. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
(a) He has twin sons.
(b) He has twin sons and then a daughter.
(c) He has three daughters.
(d) He has a son and a daughter who are twins.
4. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
(b) They could mass as many men as they care to.
(c) They could mass one thousand men at most.
(d) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
5. How does Rooster originally feel about Alexandros?
(a) He feels that Alexandros is far braver than he will ever be.
(b) He feels that he is braver and a better warrior than Alexandros, and he hates him.
(c) He feels that Alexandros is a good friend who will always be loyal to him.
(d) He loves Alexandros as his own brother, and would allow no harm to come to him.
6. When does Darius of Persia die?
(a) He dies three years before the battle at Antirhion.
(b) He dies three years after the battle at Antirhion.
(c) He dies on the Ides of March.
(d) He dies during the battle at Antirhion.
7. What does the merchant's sign say?
(a) It says "The best service only for you, my foreskin."
(b) It says "The best service in all of Greece."
(c) It says "The best service in all the land."
(d) It says "The best service only for you, my friend."
8. What oath does Arete swear to Xeones?
(a) She swears to never tell about his secret love.
(b) She swears that his cousin will hear of his honor in battle and where his body lies.
(c) She swears to help take care of his son after he is gone.
(d) She swears to befriend his cousin Diomache and keep her company.
9. What is mothax?
(a) It is a golden metal awarded for valor.
(b) It is the grade of warrior youths somewhere between full citizen and helot.
(c) It is the highest title of honor for Spartans.
(d) It is freedom from taxes.
10. If the krypteia have their way, how is Rooster to be punished for rejecting the offer?
(a) He is to be allowed to go free.
(b) He is to be sold into slavery.
(c) He is to be stripped of all rank and weapons and thrown out of the army.
(d) He and his family are to be put to death.
11. How many men make up the party that attacks Xerxes' tent?
(a) There are eleven men.
(b) There are tweny men.
(c) There are seven men.
(d) There are eight men.
12. How does Arete convince the Peers to spare the child of Rooster?
(a) She pays bribes to them to allow the child to go.
(b) She and her husband swear that the child is his, and not Rooster's.
(c) She convinces them that whatever the father might have done, it is no fault of the child's.
(d) She kidnaps the child and flees Sparta.
13. What does Dienekes order Xeones to do?
(a) He orders Xeones to fight valiantly.
(b) He orders Xeones to run.
(c) He orders Xeones to stay back and observe, so that he may tell the story later.
(d) He orders Xeones to deliver a message for him.
14. What two groups fight the first encounter?
(a) The Thespians fight the Armenians.
(b) The Spartans fight the Egyptians.
(c) The Thespians fight the Medes.
(d) The Spartans fight the Persians.
15. Who appears to Diomache in a dream after she aborted her pregnancy and was ill?
(a) Zeus appears to her.
(b) Persephone appears to her.
(c) Ares appears to her.
(d) Apollo appears to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nation is the second to assault the Greeks?
2. Why does Arete give Xeones coins?
3. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
4. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
5. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)