|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 29, what does Xeones say is the only thing a man really wants?
(a) He says that all a man wants is wealth.
(b) He says that all a man wants is to die with honor.
(c) He says that all a man wants is a good woman.
(d) He says that all a man wants is to live.
2. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
(a) There are twenty thousand.
(b) There are two million.
(c) There are three thousand.
(d) There are three hundred.
3. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
(b) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
(c) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
(d) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
4. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
(a) He comes to conquer the land for natural resources.
(b) He comes to have the Greek submit to him, and to have them offer him earth and water.
(c) He comes to avenge the death of his father.
(d) He comes to plunder the riches of Greece.
5. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
(a) The Oracle tells them to remain neutral.
(b) The Oracle tells them to bargain with Persia.
(c) The Oracle tells them to fly to the ends of the earth.
(d) The Oracle tells them to stand and fight for their freedom.
6. How many children does Xeones father?
(a) He has two sons.
(b) He has two daughters.
(c) He only has one child, a son.
(d) He has a son and a daughter.
7. How does Rooster originally feel about Alexandros?
(a) He feels that he is braver and a better warrior than Alexandros, and he hates him.
(b) He feels that Alexandros is a good friend who will always be loyal to him.
(c) He feels that Alexandros is far braver than he will ever be.
(d) He loves Alexandros as his own brother, and would allow no harm to come to him.
8. When king Leonidas gives his speech on the night of the arrival of the Persian force, to whom is he speaking?
(a) He is speaking to the Spartan officers.
(b) He is speaking to all of the allied officers and the Spartan officers.
(c) He is speaking to the allied officers.
(d) He is speaking to the entire combined forces.
9. When does Darius of Persia die?
(a) He dies three years before the battle at Antirhion.
(b) He dies on the Ides of March.
(c) He dies during the battle at Antirhion.
(d) He dies three years after the battle at Antirhion.
10. What oath does Alexandros swear the night of Rooster's trial?
(a) He swears that Rooster will never be seen again.
(b) He swears that if ever Rooster meets them on the field of battle, that he will slay Rooster himself.
(c) He swears that he will carry out the orders of the krypteis give him.
(d) He swears that he will show mercy on Rooster in honor of their friendship.
11. Other than Ball Player and the dog, who is the other volunteer?
(a) The other volunteer is Olaph, the wandering Arab.
(b) The other volunteer is Minoas, a traitor from the Persian army.
(c) He is a merchant from Miletus, and his name is Elephantinos.
(d) Tommie the Egyptian joined the Greeks.
12. How many Persians are in the advance force that takes Athens?
(a) There are only three hundred.
(b) There are twenty thousand.
(c) There are fifty thousand men.
(d) There are several thousand.
13. What does Leonidas say is the tell-all when battle comes?
(a) He says that courage will tell all.
(b) He says that physical strength will tell all.
(c) He says that practice of arms will tell all.
(d) He says that devotion to the gods will tell all.
14. Knowing that everyone will die the next day, what does Leonidas tell his men?
(a) The Greeks are to retreat.
(b) The helots are freed from service and may leave.
(c) The watch is to be doubled to keep anyone from deserting.
(d) He tells them all to fight with valor and die a good death.
15. How do the Persian forces surround the Greeks?
(a) They sail around and march up from behind.
(b) They go around the mountain.
(c) They are told of a moutain pass by a Greek traitor.
(d) They sneak around the Greeks during the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
2. Who makes up the only father-son pair in the three hundred?
3. What is the standing order of Dienekes while on campaign?
4. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
5. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)