|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
(a) What is the opposite of fear?
(b) Why do men fight wars?
(c) What exactly is fear?
(d) Why does fear hold such power over men?
2. What does the Oracle tell the Spartans?
(a) They will not lose a single officer, and the city will stand.
(b) They will lose many soldiers, but they will win the fight.
(c) They will either lose a king, or the city will fall.
(d) They will lose a king, and then the city will fall.
3. What does the merchant's sign say?
(a) It says "The best service in all the land."
(b) It says "The best service only for you, my friend."
(c) It says "The best service in all of Greece."
(d) It says "The best service only for you, my foreskin."
4. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
(a) Xerxes sees Leonidas beheaded, with his body nailed to a tree and his head impaled on a spike.
(b) Xerxes sees Leonidas as he might have been as a child.
(c) Xerxes sees Leonidas as whole and alive once again.
(d) Xerxes sees Leonidas as a vengeful spirit, ready to haunt Xerxes or eternity.
5. How many men make up the party that attacks Xerxes' tent?
(a) There are tweny men.
(b) There are eight men.
(c) There are seven men.
(d) There are eleven men.
6. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
(a) It is the traitor, Rooster.
(b) It is the Persian general Mardonius.
(c) It is king Xerxes.
(d) It is the lady Artemisia.
7. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
(a) He believes it all to be lies.
(b) He believes it is true, but has no bearing on the battles ahead.
(c) He believes that it is true and pertinent to the war efforts.
(d) He finds it entertaining, but is unsure of its truth.
8. What oath does Alexandros swear the night of Rooster's trial?
(a) He swears that he will show mercy on Rooster in honor of their friendship.
(b) He swears that if ever Rooster meets them on the field of battle, that he will slay Rooster himself.
(c) He swears that he will carry out the orders of the krypteis give him.
(d) He swears that Rooster will never be seen again.
9. Why does Medon take the baby after the Peers all go home?
(a) He is taking the child to protect him from the others.
(b) He is inspecting the child to see if he will be allowed to live.
(c) He is stealing the child so that he can kill him.
(d) He wants to have a look at the child.
10. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
(a) A larger force would not have room to fight, and would cause supply problems.
(b) The Spartan senate refuses to send troops to Thermopylae, and the three hundred are the only volunteers.
(c) The Spartans do not feel that the Persians are a real threat to them, so three hundred should more than suffice.
(d) The three hundred is only the advance force meant to hold off the Persians long enough for the main force to arrive.
11. How do the Persian forces surround the Greeks?
(a) They sail around and march up from behind.
(b) They are told of a moutain pass by a Greek traitor.
(c) They go around the mountain.
(d) They sneak around the Greeks during the night.
12. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
(a) There are about five hundred men left.
(b) There are about one thousand men left.
(c) There are about sixty men left.
(d) There are about one hundred men left.
13. What does Dienekes decide that the opposite of fear is?
(a) The opposite of fear is courage.
(b) The opposite of fear is love.
(c) The opposite of fear is aphobia.
(d) The opposite of fear is glory.
14. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
(a) They come across Persian soldiers rising for the morning.
(b) They do not encounter anyone on their flight from the Persian camp.
(c) They are seen by General Mardonius.
(d) They run into another group of Egyptian marines.
15. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
(a) They turned to the Persian side.
(b) They were already defeated.
(c) They were afraid of the Persians, and fled.
(d) They got the time wrong, as the months have different names than in Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
2. Who does Xeones marry?
3. What message does Leonidas leave for Greeks who are conscripted into service to the Persians?
4. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
5. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)