|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
(a) Xerxes asks for him.
(b) Rooster asks for him.
(c) Tommie asks for him.
(d) Elephantinos asks for him.
2. What is the purpose of an all-sire unit?
(a) When they die, they will have living male heirs to carry on their names.
(b) When they die, their sons can then be conscripted.
(c) An ancient belief forbids Spartans from sending men into battle who have not yet fathered a son.
(d) While they are away on campaign, their sons can take care of the home.
3. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
(a) King Leonidas authorizes it.
(b) Polynikes authorizes it.
(c) Dienekes authorizes it.
(d) Rooster authorizes it.
4. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
(a) They take it as a sign that they will be victorious.
(b) They find it amusing and take it as good entertainment.
(c) They take it as a sign that the Persians will overpower them.
(d) They think that the dog crushing the rabbit in its jaws signifies the empire of Persia crushing Greece.
5. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
(a) They are at the Three-Cornered Way in Attika.
(b) They are just leaving Thermopylae.
(c) They are in the hills outside of Thessaly.
(d) They are a few miles outside of Sparta.
6. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
(a) It is the lady Artemisia.
(b) It is king Xerxes.
(c) It is the traitor, Rooster.
(d) It is the Persian general Mardonius.
7. Why does Arete give Xeones coins?
(a) She is bribing him to remain silent of what he saw when he caught her with Polynikes.
(b) She gives him the money as a gift for his birthday.
(c) She gives him the money to run away with and avoid death with the three hundred.
(d) She is paying him for his service to her husband.
8. How many children does Xeones father?
(a) He has two sons.
(b) He has a son and a daughter.
(c) He only has one child, a son.
(d) He has two daughters.
9. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
(a) Why does fear hold such power over men?
(b) What exactly is fear?
(c) What is the opposite of fear?
(d) Why do men fight wars?
10. If the krypteia have their way, how is Rooster to be punished for rejecting the offer?
(a) He is to be sold into slavery.
(b) He and his family are to be put to death.
(c) He is to be allowed to go free.
(d) He is to be stripped of all rank and weapons and thrown out of the army.
11. What two groups fight the first encounter?
(a) The Thespians fight the Armenians.
(b) The Spartans fight the Persians.
(c) The Thespians fight the Medes.
(d) The Spartans fight the Egyptians.
12. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
(a) Xerxes sees Leonidas as whole and alive once again.
(b) Xerxes sees Leonidas as he might have been as a child.
(c) Xerxes sees Leonidas as a vengeful spirit, ready to haunt Xerxes or eternity.
(d) Xerxes sees Leonidas beheaded, with his body nailed to a tree and his head impaled on a spike.
13. What is the last thing that Xerxes says to Xeones as Chapter 19 closes?
(a) "No one could have breached my tent and survived it, therefore you are lying. I suggest that you be totally honest with me in the future, Greek."
(b) "You are either the bravest warrior or the biggest fool to ever walk the earth"
(c) "Please, my friend, continue your tale. Tell it as you wish, in whatever manner the god instructs you."
(d) "Why would you tell me such a thing, that I may know of your offense and kill you outright?"
14. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
(b) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
(c) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
(d) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
15. How many Persians are in the advance force that takes Athens?
(a) There are several thousand.
(b) There are fifty thousand men.
(c) There are twenty thousand.
(d) There are only three hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
2. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
3. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
4. What happens to the raiding party?
5. What is mothax?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)