|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 29, what does Xeones say is the only thing a man really wants?
(a) He says that all a man wants is to live.
(b) He says that all a man wants is a good woman.
(c) He says that all a man wants is to die with honor.
(d) He says that all a man wants is wealth.
2. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
(a) He shows Xerxes the place where his blade tore the wall of the tent in a back corner.
(b) He can offer only his word of honor that he is telling the truth.
(c) He recognizes the officer who threw the axe at him and wounded Alexandros.
(d) He has several witnesses who admit that they saw him there.
3. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
(b) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
(c) They could mass one thousand men at most.
(d) They could mass as many men as they care to.
4. Why does Arete give Xeones coins?
(a) She gives him the money to run away with and avoid death with the three hundred.
(b) She is bribing him to remain silent of what he saw when he caught her with Polynikes.
(c) She is paying him for his service to her husband.
(d) She gives him the money as a gift for his birthday.
5. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
(a) They go over to the Persian side.
(b) They have all been slain by the Persians.
(c) They are attacked and must remain to defend their city.
(d) They are nearly overrun by the Persians, so they flee.
6. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
(a) They take it as a sign that they will be victorious.
(b) They think that the dog crushing the rabbit in its jaws signifies the empire of Persia crushing Greece.
(c) They find it amusing and take it as good entertainment.
(d) They take it as a sign that the Persians will overpower them.
7. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
(a) There are two million.
(b) There are three thousand.
(c) There are twenty thousand.
(d) There are three hundred.
8. What secret does Arete tell Xeones in Chapter 20?
(a) She tells him that she has been in love with him for years.
(b) She tells him that she had been in love with Dienekes e since she was a young girl, even while married to his brother.
(c) She tells him that the son of Rooster really was Dienekes' child.
(d) She tells him that she has been having an affair with Leonidas for years.
9. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
(b) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
(c) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
(d) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
10. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
(a) The enemy will overrun and destroy you.
(b) The wooden wall alone shall not fail you.
(c) Fly to the corners of the earth.
(d) Only with the Spartans may you defeat the enemy.
11. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
(a) It is the lady Artemisia.
(b) It is king Xerxes.
(c) It is the Persian general Mardonius.
(d) It is the traitor, Rooster.
12. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
(a) They are at the Three-Cornered Way in Attika.
(b) They are a few miles outside of Sparta.
(c) They are in the hills outside of Thessaly.
(d) They are just leaving Thermopylae.
13. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
(a) He has twin sons.
(b) He has a son and a daughter who are twins.
(c) He has three daughters.
(d) He has twin sons and then a daughter.
14. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
(a) There are about five hundred men left.
(b) There are about one hundred men left.
(c) There are about sixty men left.
(d) There are about one thousand men left.
15. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
(a) Elephantinos asks for him.
(b) Rooster asks for him.
(c) Tommie asks for him.
(d) Xerxes asks for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Xeones father?
2. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
3. Who are the non-Spartan members of the raiding party?
4. What does Leonidas say is the tell-all when battle comes?
5. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)