|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men make up the party that attacks Xerxes' tent?
(a) There are tweny men.
(b) There are eight men.
(c) There are eleven men.
(d) There are seven men.
2. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
(a) He has twin sons.
(b) He has twin sons and then a daughter.
(c) He has three daughters.
(d) He has a son and a daughter who are twins.
3. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
(a) They are in the hills outside of Thessaly.
(b) They are just leaving Thermopylae.
(c) They are a few miles outside of Sparta.
(d) They are at the Three-Cornered Way in Attika.
4. What punishment is actually dealt out to Rooster?
(a) He is slain by the krypteia.
(b) He is exiled and sent to the Persians.
(c) He is absolved of his crime.
(d) He is beaten with wooden rods.
5. What drives Polynikes according to Dienekes?
(a) Polynikes is driven by his bloodlust.
(b) Polynikes is driven the fear of dishonor.
(c) Polynikes is driven by the greed for glory.
(d) Polynikes has true andreia.
6. What is mothax?
(a) It is the highest title of honor for Spartans.
(b) It is the grade of warrior youths somewhere between full citizen and helot.
(c) It is freedom from taxes.
(d) It is a golden metal awarded for valor.
7. Knowing that everyone will die the next day, what does Leonidas tell his men?
(a) The watch is to be doubled to keep anyone from deserting.
(b) He tells them all to fight with valor and die a good death.
(c) The Greeks are to retreat.
(d) The helots are freed from service and may leave.
8. Why is Xerxes having trouble sleeping?
(a) He has contracted a terrible illness from one of the injured soldiers.
(b) He is being plagued by nightmares and guilt over the desecration of Leonidas' body.
(c) He cannot sleep after the slaughter of battle.
(d) He has dysentery.
9. What oath does Arete swear to Xeones?
(a) She swears to help take care of his son after he is gone.
(b) She swears to befriend his cousin Diomache and keep her company.
(c) She swears to never tell about his secret love.
(d) She swears that his cousin will hear of his honor in battle and where his body lies.
10. What happens to the raiding party?
(a) They fight to the death.
(b) They fight against terrible odds, but manage to kill Xerxes before being killed to a man.
(c) They are captured.
(d) Alexandros' hand is cut off, and a few others are killed, so Dienekes calls the retreat.
11. When king Leonidas gives his speech on the night of the arrival of the Persian force, to whom is he speaking?
(a) He is speaking to the allied officers.
(b) He is speaking to all of the allied officers and the Spartan officers.
(c) He is speaking to the entire combined forces.
(d) He is speaking to the Spartan officers.
12. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
(a) It is the traitor, Rooster.
(b) It is king Xerxes.
(c) It is the lady Artemisia.
(d) It is the Persian general Mardonius.
13. Who makes up the only father-son pair in the three hundred?
(a) Leonidas and Karneius are the only father-son pair.
(b) Medan and Xeones are the only father-son pair.
(c) Dienekes and Rooster are the only father-son pair.
(d) Olympieus and Alexandros are the only father-son pair.
14. Other than Ball Player and the dog, who is the other volunteer?
(a) The other volunteer is Olaph, the wandering Arab.
(b) He is a merchant from Miletus, and his name is Elephantinos.
(c) The other volunteer is Minoas, a traitor from the Persian army.
(d) Tommie the Egyptian joined the Greeks.
15. What does Rooster suggest to Xeones and Alexandros?
(a) He tells them that they should abandon the army and join the Persians, just like him.
(b) He tells them that they should desert and return home, because the Spartans would be overrun by the next day.
(c) He tells them to fight with valor, and die a warrior's death.
(d) He tells them that he knows of a way to get a dozen men to the tent of the Persian king.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
2. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
3. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
4. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
5. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)