|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 29, what does Xeones say is the only thing a man really wants?
(a) He says that all a man wants is a good woman.
(b) He says that all a man wants is to die with honor.
(c) He says that all a man wants is wealth.
(d) He says that all a man wants is to live.
2. Who appears to Diomache in a dream after she aborted her pregnancy and was ill?
(a) Apollo appears to her.
(b) Ares appears to her.
(c) Zeus appears to her.
(d) Persephone appears to her.
3. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
(a) He sees Xerxes in the Persian court while traveling as a child.
(b) He sees Xerxes in battle.
(c) He sees Xerxes in a dream of prophesy.
(d) He is a member of the raiding party that attempts to kill Xerxes in his tent.
4. Who does Xeones marry?
(a) He marries Thereia.
(b) He marries Diomache.
(c) He marries arete.
(d) He marries Agathe.
5. For what valor in battle is Rooster offered new status as mothax?
(a) He defeats an armed Persian with his bare hands.
(b) He rescues Olympieus.
(c) He captures an enemy officer.
(d) He breaks the Persian line.
6. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
(a) He lists Alexandros, Dienekes, Orontes, and himself.
(b) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Dienekes, and himself.
(c) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Rooster, and himself.
(d) He lists Alexandros, Orontes, Ephesus, and himself.
7. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
(a) He has several witnesses who admit that they saw him there.
(b) He can offer only his word of honor that he is telling the truth.
(c) He recognizes the officer who threw the axe at him and wounded Alexandros.
(d) He shows Xerxes the place where his blade tore the wall of the tent in a back corner.
8. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
(a) Xerxes sees Leonidas beheaded, with his body nailed to a tree and his head impaled on a spike.
(b) Xerxes sees Leonidas as whole and alive once again.
(c) Xerxes sees Leonidas as he might have been as a child.
(d) Xerxes sees Leonidas as a vengeful spirit, ready to haunt Xerxes or eternity.
9. How many men make up the party that attacks Xerxes' tent?
(a) There are tweny men.
(b) There are eleven men.
(c) There are seven men.
(d) There are eight men.
10. How does Rooster originally feel about Alexandros?
(a) He feels that he is braver and a better warrior than Alexandros, and he hates him.
(b) He feels that Alexandros is a good friend who will always be loyal to him.
(c) He loves Alexandros as his own brother, and would allow no harm to come to him.
(d) He feels that Alexandros is far braver than he will ever be.
11. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
(a) There are twenty thousand.
(b) There are three thousand.
(c) There are three hundred.
(d) There are two million.
12. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
(a) They take it as a sign that the Persians will overpower them.
(b) They find it amusing and take it as good entertainment.
(c) They think that the dog crushing the rabbit in its jaws signifies the empire of Persia crushing Greece.
(d) They take it as a sign that they will be victorious.
13. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
(a) Athens is defended by the Spartans.
(b) Athens is defended by the full Athenian legions.
(c) Athens is defended by a small band of fanatics only.
(d) Athens is completely abandoned.
14. What happens to the raiding party?
(a) They are captured.
(b) They fight to the death.
(c) Alexandros' hand is cut off, and a few others are killed, so Dienekes calls the retreat.
(d) They fight against terrible odds, but manage to kill Xerxes before being killed to a man.
15. What punishment is actually dealt out to Rooster?
(a) He is slain by the krypteia.
(b) He is beaten with wooden rods.
(c) He is exiled and sent to the Persians.
(d) He is absolved of his crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
2. Who are the non-Spartan members of the raiding party?
3. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
4. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
5. What is the purpose of an all-sire unit?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)