|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
(a) He is writing in his journal.
(b) He is fighting on the field of battle.
(c) He is sharpening his sword blade.
(d) He is sleeping.
2. What drives Polynikes according to Dienekes?
(a) Polynikes is driven by the greed for glory.
(b) Polynikes is driven by his bloodlust.
(c) Polynikes is driven the fear of dishonor.
(d) Polynikes has true andreia.
3. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
(a) He has twin sons.
(b) He has three daughters.
(c) He has twin sons and then a daughter.
(d) He has a son and a daughter who are twins.
4. Who makes up the only father-son pair in the three hundred?
(a) Leonidas and Karneius are the only father-son pair.
(b) Dienekes and Rooster are the only father-son pair.
(c) Medan and Xeones are the only father-son pair.
(d) Olympieus and Alexandros are the only father-son pair.
5. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
(a) All of his experienced fighters are old, and he wants some young muscle to help carry the workload.
(b) He believes that the chain is made stronger by including unproven links mixed in with the more experienced.
(c) He runs out of heroes, and is forced to include young men who have little or no fighting experience.
(d) He hand selects each soldier, knowing that all of them will die, because he needs men that are expendable.
6. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
(a) They shout insults at the Persians.
(b) They attack the Persians.
(c) They run away.
(d) They surrender to the Persians.
7. How many Persians are in the advance force that takes Athens?
(a) There are several thousand.
(b) There are only three hundred.
(c) There are fifty thousand men.
(d) There are twenty thousand.
8. What do the Spartans discover on their way to the tent of Xerxes?
(a) They discover a much better patch of ground on which to fight the Persians.
(b) They find out that Xerxes has caught wind of their plan, and has moved his tent.
(c) They find out that Rooster is leading them into a trap.
(d) They find out that Xerxes has found a path around the gates, and that he has ordered troops to surround the Greeks.
9. Who are the non-Spartan members of the raiding party?
(a) They are Rooster and Tommie.
(b) They are Rooster and Ball Player.
(c) They are Dithyrambos and Doreion.
(d) They are Tommie and Dithyrambos.
10. The three hundred and their allies are to be met by a thousand heavy infantry from Phokis and Lokris. What do they find instead?
(a) They find the Egyptian Tommie.
(b) They find the area abandoned with the exception of a few local people.
(c) They find the Persians waiting there for them.
(d) They find only half of the troop they were expecting.
11. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
(a) No one comes for him.
(b) The royal guard came for him.
(c) Polynikes and four assassins of the krypteia came for him.
(d) Twenty Peers come for him.
12. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
(a) Rooster asks for him.
(b) Tommie asks for him.
(c) Xerxes asks for him.
(d) Elephantinos asks for him.
13. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
(a) What is the opposite of fear?
(b) What exactly is fear?
(c) Why does fear hold such power over men?
(d) Why do men fight wars?
14. What is the last thing that Xerxes says to Xeones as Chapter 19 closes?
(a) "Why would you tell me such a thing, that I may know of your offense and kill you outright?"
(b) "You are either the bravest warrior or the biggest fool to ever walk the earth"
(c) "Please, my friend, continue your tale. Tell it as you wish, in whatever manner the god instructs you."
(d) "No one could have breached my tent and survived it, therefore you are lying. I suggest that you be totally honest with me in the future, Greek."
15. What happens to the raiding party that saves the life of Xerxes?
(a) One of the members of the raiding party trips and makes enough noise in his fall to alert the Persians.
(b) Some exotic birds escape their cages and confuse the Spartans.
(c) They go to the wrong tent at first, and have to go back.
(d) One of Xerxes' officers stumbles upon the raiding party as they are entering the tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. If the krypteia have their way, how is Rooster to be punished for rejecting the offer?
2. According to Xerxes, what is the greatest desire of Xeones?
3. What does Lady Arete's letter to Diomache say?
4. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
5. What does Dienekes decide that the opposite of fear is?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)