|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Leonidas keep the three hundred from getting new cloaks?
(a) He feels that it would be a waste of the city's resources to replace the cloaks of men who will not get to use them long.
(b) He wants to wait until after the battle so he will not get cloaks for those who won't survive.
(c) He wants to wait until after the battle so the new cloaks won't get torn and bloody.
(d) He feels that there is no time for the ceremony, and that he and his men must leave immediately.
2. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
(a) He believes that it is true and pertinent to the war efforts.
(b) He finds it entertaining, but is unsure of its truth.
(c) He believes it all to be lies.
(d) He believes it is true, but has no bearing on the battles ahead.
3. Who does Xeones marry?
(a) He marries Agathe.
(b) He marries arete.
(c) He marries Diomache.
(d) He marries Thereia.
4. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
(a) Twenty Peers come for him.
(b) Polynikes and four assassins of the krypteia came for him.
(c) No one comes for him.
(d) The royal guard came for him.
5. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) They could mass one thousand men at most.
(b) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
(c) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
(d) They could mass as many men as they care to.
6. When does Darius of Persia die?
(a) He dies during the battle at Antirhion.
(b) He dies three years before the battle at Antirhion.
(c) He dies three years after the battle at Antirhion.
(d) He dies on the Ides of March.
7. Knowing that everyone will die the next day, what does Leonidas tell his men?
(a) The watch is to be doubled to keep anyone from deserting.
(b) The helots are freed from service and may leave.
(c) The Greeks are to retreat.
(d) He tells them all to fight with valor and die a good death.
8. Why does Medon take the baby after the Peers all go home?
(a) He is taking the child to protect him from the others.
(b) He wants to have a look at the child.
(c) He is inspecting the child to see if he will be allowed to live.
(d) He is stealing the child so that he can kill him.
9. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
(a) He lists Alexandros, Orontes, Ephesus, and himself.
(b) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Rooster, and himself.
(c) He lists Alexandros, Dienekes, Orontes, and himself.
(d) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Dienekes, and himself.
10. How many children does Alexandros father by the age of twenty?
(a) He has three daughters.
(b) He has twin sons.
(c) He has twin sons and then a daughter.
(d) He has a son and a daughter who are twins.
11. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
(a) He recognizes the officer who threw the axe at him and wounded Alexandros.
(b) He shows Xerxes the place where his blade tore the wall of the tent in a back corner.
(c) He has several witnesses who admit that they saw him there.
(d) He can offer only his word of honor that he is telling the truth.
12. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
(a) They come across Persian soldiers rising for the morning.
(b) They run into another group of Egyptian marines.
(c) They are seen by General Mardonius.
(d) They do not encounter anyone on their flight from the Persian camp.
13. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
(a) King Leonidas authorizes it.
(b) Rooster authorizes it.
(c) Dienekes authorizes it.
(d) Polynikes authorizes it.
14. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
(a) Why does fear hold such power over men?
(b) Why do men fight wars?
(c) What is the opposite of fear?
(d) What exactly is fear?
15. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
(a) They are attacked and must remain to defend their city.
(b) They go over to the Persian side.
(c) They are nearly overrun by the Persians, so they flee.
(d) They have all been slain by the Persians.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Xeones father?
2. How does Leonidas appear to Xerxes in his dream?
3. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
4. What nation is the second to assault the Greeks?
5. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)