|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
(a) He believes that it is true and pertinent to the war efforts.
(b) He finds it entertaining, but is unsure of its truth.
(c) He believes it all to be lies.
(d) He believes it is true, but has no bearing on the battles ahead.
2. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartan senate refuses to send troops to Thermopylae, and the three hundred are the only volunteers.
(b) The three hundred is only the advance force meant to hold off the Persians long enough for the main force to arrive.
(c) The Spartans do not feel that the Persians are a real threat to them, so three hundred should more than suffice.
(d) A larger force would not have room to fight, and would cause supply problems.
3. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
(a) They were afraid of the Persians, and fled.
(b) They turned to the Persian side.
(c) They were already defeated.
(d) They got the time wrong, as the months have different names than in Sparta.
4. What does the merchant's sign say?
(a) It says "The best service only for you, my friend."
(b) It says "The best service in all of Greece."
(c) It says "The best service only for you, my foreskin."
(d) It says "The best service in all the land."
5. What is mothax?
(a) It is the grade of warrior youths somewhere between full citizen and helot.
(b) It is a golden metal awarded for valor.
(c) It is the highest title of honor for Spartans.
(d) It is freedom from taxes.
6. What nation is the second to assault the Greeks?
(a) The Armenians are the second group sent by the Persians.
(b) The Medes are the second group sent by the Persians.
(c) The Egyptians are the second group sent by the Persians.
(d) The Sacae are the second group sent by the Persians.
7. How many men make up the party that attacks Xerxes' tent?
(a) There are eight men.
(b) There are seven men.
(c) There are tweny men.
(d) There are eleven men.
8. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
(a) The Oracle tells them to stand and fight for their freedom.
(b) The Oracle tells them to remain neutral.
(c) The Oracle tells them to bargain with Persia.
(d) The Oracle tells them to fly to the ends of the earth.
9. When king Leonidas gives his speech on the night of the arrival of the Persian force, to whom is he speaking?
(a) He is speaking to the entire combined forces.
(b) He is speaking to all of the allied officers and the Spartan officers.
(c) He is speaking to the allied officers.
(d) He is speaking to the Spartan officers.
10. How is Rooster related to Dienekes?
(a) Rooster is his son.
(b) Rooster is his brother's bastard son.
(c) Rooster is his friend.
(d) Rooster is not related to Dienekes.
11. What secret does Arete tell Xeones in Chapter 20?
(a) She tells him that the son of Rooster really was Dienekes' child.
(b) She tells him that she has been having an affair with Leonidas for years.
(c) She tells him that she has been in love with him for years.
(d) She tells him that she had been in love with Dienekes e since she was a young girl, even while married to his brother.
12. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
(a) They are attacked and must remain to defend their city.
(b) They go over to the Persian side.
(c) They have all been slain by the Persians.
(d) They are nearly overrun by the Persians, so they flee.
13. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
(a) Polynikes authorizes it.
(b) King Leonidas authorizes it.
(c) Dienekes authorizes it.
(d) Rooster authorizes it.
14. What oath does Alexandros swear the night of Rooster's trial?
(a) He swears that if ever Rooster meets them on the field of battle, that he will slay Rooster himself.
(b) He swears that Rooster will never be seen again.
(c) He swears that he will show mercy on Rooster in honor of their friendship.
(d) He swears that he will carry out the orders of the krypteis give him.
15. Why does Medon take the baby after the Peers all go home?
(a) He is inspecting the child to see if he will be allowed to live.
(b) He is stealing the child so that he can kill him.
(c) He wants to have a look at the child.
(d) He is taking the child to protect him from the others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leonidas keep the three hundred from getting new cloaks?
2. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
3. How does Arete convince the Peers to spare the child of Rooster?
4. Who does Xeones marry?
5. What oath does Arete swear to Xeones?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)