|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Medon take the baby after the Peers all go home?
(a) He wants to have a look at the child.
(b) He is taking the child to protect him from the others.
(c) He is inspecting the child to see if he will be allowed to live.
(d) He is stealing the child so that he can kill him.
2. What two groups fight the first encounter?
(a) The Spartans fight the Egyptians.
(b) The Thespians fight the Armenians.
(c) The Spartans fight the Persians.
(d) The Thespians fight the Medes.
3. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
(a) He believes it all to be lies.
(b) He believes it is true, but has no bearing on the battles ahead.
(c) He finds it entertaining, but is unsure of its truth.
(d) He believes that it is true and pertinent to the war efforts.
4. What punishment is actually dealt out to Rooster?
(a) He is absolved of his crime.
(b) He is exiled and sent to the Persians.
(c) He is beaten with wooden rods.
(d) He is slain by the krypteia.
5. What happens to the raiding party?
(a) They fight against terrible odds, but manage to kill Xerxes before being killed to a man.
(b) They fight to the death.
(c) Alexandros' hand is cut off, and a few others are killed, so Dienekes calls the retreat.
(d) They are captured.
6. Who does Xeones marry?
(a) He marries Thereia.
(b) He marries arete.
(c) He marries Agathe.
(d) He marries Diomache.
7. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
(a) They are seen by General Mardonius.
(b) They run into another group of Egyptian marines.
(c) They come across Persian soldiers rising for the morning.
(d) They do not encounter anyone on their flight from the Persian camp.
8. What is mothax?
(a) It is the grade of warrior youths somewhere between full citizen and helot.
(b) It is a golden metal awarded for valor.
(c) It is freedom from taxes.
(d) It is the highest title of honor for Spartans.
9. What does the Oracle tell the Spartans?
(a) They will not lose a single officer, and the city will stand.
(b) They will either lose a king, or the city will fall.
(c) They will lose a king, and then the city will fall.
(d) They will lose many soldiers, but they will win the fight.
10. The three hundred and their allies are to be met by a thousand heavy infantry from Phokis and Lokris. What do they find instead?
(a) They find the Persians waiting there for them.
(b) They find the Egyptian Tommie.
(c) They find the area abandoned with the exception of a few local people.
(d) They find only half of the troop they were expecting.
11. How many children does Xeones father?
(a) He has two daughters.
(b) He only has one child, a son.
(c) He has two sons.
(d) He has a son and a daughter.
12. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
(a) He shows Xerxes the place where his blade tore the wall of the tent in a back corner.
(b) He can offer only his word of honor that he is telling the truth.
(c) He recognizes the officer who threw the axe at him and wounded Alexandros.
(d) He has several witnesses who admit that they saw him there.
13. How does Rooster originally feel about Alexandros?
(a) He loves Alexandros as his own brother, and would allow no harm to come to him.
(b) He feels that he is braver and a better warrior than Alexandros, and he hates him.
(c) He feels that Alexandros is far braver than he will ever be.
(d) He feels that Alexandros is a good friend who will always be loyal to him.
14. Who makes up the only father-son pair in the three hundred?
(a) Olympieus and Alexandros are the only father-son pair.
(b) Dienekes and Rooster are the only father-son pair.
(c) Medan and Xeones are the only father-son pair.
(d) Leonidas and Karneius are the only father-son pair.
15. What does Lady Arete's letter to Diomache say?
(a) The letter says that Xeones is free from his service and may marry Diomache.
(b) The letter is a personal letter between old friends.
(c) The letter is to free Diomache from her service at the temple.
(d) The letter says that Xeones' death will be honored.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
2. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
3. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
4. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
5. Who vouches for Xeones that he did not overhear details of the raid from the surgeons?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)