|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rooster suggest to Xeones and Alexandros?
(a) He tells them to fight with valor, and die a warrior's death.
(b) He tells them that he knows of a way to get a dozen men to the tent of the Persian king.
(c) He tells them that they should desert and return home, because the Spartans would be overrun by the next day.
(d) He tells them that they should abandon the army and join the Persians, just like him.
2. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) They could mass as many men as they care to.
(b) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
(c) They could mass one thousand men at most.
(d) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
3. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
(a) He shows Xerxes the place where his blade tore the wall of the tent in a back corner.
(b) He recognizes the officer who threw the axe at him and wounded Alexandros.
(c) He has several witnesses who admit that they saw him there.
(d) He can offer only his word of honor that he is telling the truth.
4. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
(a) They call it The Mound.
(b) They call it the royal compound.
(c) They call it the Acropolis.
(d) They call it The Great Hill.
5. What do the Spartans discover on their way to the tent of Xerxes?
(a) They find out that Xerxes has found a path around the gates, and that he has ordered troops to surround the Greeks.
(b) They find out that Rooster is leading them into a trap.
(c) They find out that Xerxes has caught wind of their plan, and has moved his tent.
(d) They discover a much better patch of ground on which to fight the Persians.
6. Who makes up the only father-son pair in the three hundred?
(a) Medan and Xeones are the only father-son pair.
(b) Leonidas and Karneius are the only father-son pair.
(c) Olympieus and Alexandros are the only father-son pair.
(d) Dienekes and Rooster are the only father-son pair.
7. What does the merchant's sign say?
(a) It says "The best service in all the land."
(b) It says "The best service only for you, my friend."
(c) It says "The best service in all of Greece."
(d) It says "The best service only for you, my foreskin."
8. How many children does Xeones father?
(a) He only has one child, a son.
(b) He has two sons.
(c) He has two daughters.
(d) He has a son and a daughter.
9. Who vouches for Xeones that he did not overhear details of the raid from the surgeons?
(a) Mardonius speaks up for Xeones' honor.
(b) Orontes, captain of the Immortals informs the king that Xeones was never once left alone with them.
(c) Artemisia tells the king that the surgeons would not have known of such an attack.
(d) King Xerxes trusts Xeones, and declares his words true.
10. Why is Xerxes having trouble sleeping?
(a) He has dysentery.
(b) He is being plagued by nightmares and guilt over the desecration of Leonidas' body.
(c) He cannot sleep after the slaughter of battle.
(d) He has contracted a terrible illness from one of the injured soldiers.
11. When king Leonidas gives his speech on the night of the arrival of the Persian force, to whom is he speaking?
(a) He is speaking to the allied officers.
(b) He is speaking to all of the allied officers and the Spartan officers.
(c) He is speaking to the entire combined forces.
(d) He is speaking to the Spartan officers.
12. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
(a) Rooster authorizes it.
(b) King Leonidas authorizes it.
(c) Polynikes authorizes it.
(d) Dienekes authorizes it.
13. When does Darius of Persia die?
(a) He dies on the Ides of March.
(b) He dies during the battle at Antirhion.
(c) He dies three years after the battle at Antirhion.
(d) He dies three years before the battle at Antirhion.
14. How is Rooster related to Dienekes?
(a) Rooster is not related to Dienekes.
(b) Rooster is his friend.
(c) Rooster is his brother's bastard son.
(d) Rooster is his son.
15. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
(a) The Oracle tells them to stand and fight for their freedom.
(b) The Oracle tells them to bargain with Persia.
(c) The Oracle tells them to fly to the ends of the earth.
(d) The Oracle tells them to remain neutral.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nation is the second to assault the Greeks?
2. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
3. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
4. How many men make up the party that attacks Xerxes' tent?
5. What message does Leonidas leave for Greeks who are conscripted into service to the Persians?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)