|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
(a) The wooden wall alone shall not fail you.
(b) Fly to the corners of the earth.
(c) The enemy will overrun and destroy you.
(d) Only with the Spartans may you defeat the enemy.
2. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
(a) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Dienekes, and himself.
(b) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Rooster, and himself.
(c) He lists Alexandros, Orontes, Ephesus, and himself.
(d) He lists Alexandros, Dienekes, Orontes, and himself.
3. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
(a) He sees the bath houses.
(b) He sees a large fox.
(c) He sees the Persians.
(d) He sees the sheer cliffs of the pass.
4. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
(a) All of his experienced fighters are old, and he wants some young muscle to help carry the workload.
(b) He runs out of heroes, and is forced to include young men who have little or no fighting experience.
(c) He hand selects each soldier, knowing that all of them will die, because he needs men that are expendable.
(d) He believes that the chain is made stronger by including unproven links mixed in with the more experienced.
5. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
(a) He is writing in his journal.
(b) He is sleeping.
(c) He is sharpening his sword blade.
(d) He is fighting on the field of battle.
6. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
(a) Polynikes and four assassins of the krypteia came for him.
(b) No one comes for him.
(c) The royal guard came for him.
(d) Twenty Peers come for him.
7. What do the Spartans and their allies do when they see the Persians for the first time?
(a) They shout insults at the Persians.
(b) They surrender to the Persians.
(c) They run away.
(d) They attack the Persians.
8. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
(a) He comes to conquer the land for natural resources.
(b) He comes to plunder the riches of Greece.
(c) He comes to avenge the death of his father.
(d) He comes to have the Greek submit to him, and to have them offer him earth and water.
9. What happens to the raiding party?
(a) They fight to the death.
(b) Alexandros' hand is cut off, and a few others are killed, so Dienekes calls the retreat.
(c) They fight against terrible odds, but manage to kill Xerxes before being killed to a man.
(d) They are captured.
10. What oath does Arete swear to Xeones?
(a) She swears that his cousin will hear of his honor in battle and where his body lies.
(b) She swears to help take care of his son after he is gone.
(c) She swears to never tell about his secret love.
(d) She swears to befriend his cousin Diomache and keep her company.
11. What secret does Arete tell Xeones in Chapter 20?
(a) She tells him that she had been in love with Dienekes e since she was a young girl, even while married to his brother.
(b) She tells him that she has been having an affair with Leonidas for years.
(c) She tells him that the son of Rooster really was Dienekes' child.
(d) She tells him that she has been in love with him for years.
12. What punishment is actually dealt out to Rooster?
(a) He is slain by the krypteia.
(b) He is absolved of his crime.
(c) He is exiled and sent to the Persians.
(d) He is beaten with wooden rods.
13. What oath does Alexandros swear the night of Rooster's trial?
(a) He swears that he will show mercy on Rooster in honor of their friendship.
(b) He swears that Rooster will never be seen again.
(c) He swears that if ever Rooster meets them on the field of battle, that he will slay Rooster himself.
(d) He swears that he will carry out the orders of the krypteis give him.
14. Other than Ball Player and the dog, who is the other volunteer?
(a) The other volunteer is Olaph, the wandering Arab.
(b) The other volunteer is Minoas, a traitor from the Persian army.
(c) Tommie the Egyptian joined the Greeks.
(d) He is a merchant from Miletus, and his name is Elephantinos.
15. Who authorizes the raid on Xerxes' tent?
(a) Polynikes authorizes it.
(b) Rooster authorizes it.
(c) Dienekes authorizes it.
(d) King Leonidas authorizes it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
2. What drives Polynikes according to Dienekes?
3. Once the Spartans make their discovery, what do they do about it?
4. What does the merchant's sign say?
5. If the krypteia have their way, how is Rooster to be punished for rejecting the offer?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)