|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message does Leonidas leave for Greeks who are conscripted into service to the Persians?
(a) You have no choice. You are forgiven.
(b) If under compulsion you must fight us your brothers, fight badly.
(c) It is better to die free than live a slave.
(d) You are traitors. May the gods curse you all.
2. What question does Dienekes tell Alexandros has haunted him his whole life?
(a) Why does fear hold such power over men?
(b) What exactly is fear?
(c) What is the opposite of fear?
(d) Why do men fight wars?
3. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
(a) He hand selects each soldier, knowing that all of them will die, because he needs men that are expendable.
(b) All of his experienced fighters are old, and he wants some young muscle to help carry the workload.
(c) He runs out of heroes, and is forced to include young men who have little or no fighting experience.
(d) He believes that the chain is made stronger by including unproven links mixed in with the more experienced.
4. What drives Polynikes according to Dienekes?
(a) Polynikes is driven by the greed for glory.
(b) Polynikes has true andreia.
(c) Polynikes is driven the fear of dishonor.
(d) Polynikes is driven by his bloodlust.
5. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
(a) It is the traitor, Rooster.
(b) It is the Persian general Mardonius.
(c) It is king Xerxes.
(d) It is the lady Artemisia.
6. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
(a) They are a few miles outside of Sparta.
(b) They are in the hills outside of Thessaly.
(c) They are just leaving Thermopylae.
(d) They are at the Three-Cornered Way in Attika.
7. What does the merchant's sign say?
(a) It says "The best service in all of Greece."
(b) It says "The best service in all the land."
(c) It says "The best service only for you, my friend."
(d) It says "The best service only for you, my foreskin."
8. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
(a) The Oracle tells them to remain neutral.
(b) The Oracle tells them to fly to the ends of the earth.
(c) The Oracle tells them to stand and fight for their freedom.
(d) The Oracle tells them to bargain with Persia.
9. In Chapter 29, what does Xeones say is the only thing a man really wants?
(a) He says that all a man wants is to die with honor.
(b) He says that all a man wants is a good woman.
(c) He says that all a man wants is to live.
(d) He says that all a man wants is wealth.
10. What does Dienekes order Xeones to do?
(a) He orders Xeones to fight valiantly.
(b) He orders Xeones to run.
(c) He orders Xeones to stay back and observe, so that he may tell the story later.
(d) He orders Xeones to deliver a message for him.
11. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
(a) He finds it entertaining, but is unsure of its truth.
(b) He believes it is true, but has no bearing on the battles ahead.
(c) He believes it all to be lies.
(d) He believes that it is true and pertinent to the war efforts.
12. What is Olympieus doing when he is killed by an arrow?
(a) He is sleeping.
(b) He is writing in his journal.
(c) He is sharpening his sword blade.
(d) He is fighting on the field of battle.
13. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
(a) They are attacked and must remain to defend their city.
(b) They go over to the Persian side.
(c) They have all been slain by the Persians.
(d) They are nearly overrun by the Persians, so they flee.
14. Who vouches for Xeones that he did not overhear details of the raid from the surgeons?
(a) Artemisia tells the king that the surgeons would not have known of such an attack.
(b) Orontes, captain of the Immortals informs the king that Xeones was never once left alone with them.
(c) King Xerxes trusts Xeones, and declares his words true.
(d) Mardonius speaks up for Xeones' honor.
15. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
(a) He sees a large fox.
(b) He sees the sheer cliffs of the pass.
(c) He sees the bath houses.
(d) He sees the Persians.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Xerxes, what is the greatest desire of Xeones?
2. How does Arete convince the Peers to spare the child of Rooster?
3. What nation is the second to assault the Greeks?
4. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
5. What do the Spartans discover on their way to the tent of Xerxes?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)