|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Xeones list off as some of the members of the tent raiding party?
(a) He lists Alexandros, Orontes, Ephesus, and himself.
(b) He lists Alexandros, Dienekes, Orontes, and himself.
(c) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Dienekes, and himself.
(d) He lists Alexandros, Polynikes, Rooster, and himself.
2. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
(a) He comes to have the Greek submit to him, and to have them offer him earth and water.
(b) He comes to avenge the death of his father.
(c) He comes to conquer the land for natural resources.
(d) He comes to plunder the riches of Greece.
3. How do the Persian forces surround the Greeks?
(a) They are told of a moutain pass by a Greek traitor.
(b) They sneak around the Greeks during the night.
(c) They sail around and march up from behind.
(d) They go around the mountain.
4. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
(b) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
(c) They could mass as many men as they care to.
(d) They could mass one thousand men at most.
5. According to Xerxes, what is the greatest desire of Xeones?
(a) He only wants to kill Xerxes, even at the cost of his own life.
(b) His desire to tell the story is greater than any other.
(c) His greatest desire is to rejoin his brothers in arms beneath the earth in death.
(d) His top priority is to escape Xerxes and return to Sparta with the intelligence that he has picked up in the Persian camp.
6. Who appears to Diomache in a dream after she aborted her pregnancy and was ill?
(a) Zeus appears to her.
(b) Persephone appears to her.
(c) Ares appears to her.
(d) Apollo appears to her.
7. What does the Oracle tell the Spartans?
(a) They will not lose a single officer, and the city will stand.
(b) They will either lose a king, or the city will fall.
(c) They will lose many soldiers, but they will win the fight.
(d) They will lose a king, and then the city will fall.
8. What is the standing order of Dienekes while on campaign?
(a) Dienekes is to be awakened two hours before sunrise.
(b) Dienekes is to be awakened with the dawn.
(c) Dienekes is to be allowed to sleep until he wakes on his own.
(d) Dienekes is to be awakened about mid-day.
9. How does Arete convince the Peers to spare the child of Rooster?
(a) She and her husband swear that the child is his, and not Rooster's.
(b) She kidnaps the child and flees Sparta.
(c) She pays bribes to them to allow the child to go.
(d) She convinces them that whatever the father might have done, it is no fault of the child's.
10. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
(a) They are just leaving Thermopylae.
(b) They are a few miles outside of Sparta.
(c) They are in the hills outside of Thessaly.
(d) They are at the Three-Cornered Way in Attika.
11. How many Persians are in the advance force that takes Athens?
(a) There are fifty thousand men.
(b) There are only three hundred.
(c) There are twenty thousand.
(d) There are several thousand.
12. What two groups fight the first encounter?
(a) The Thespians fight the Armenians.
(b) The Spartans fight the Egyptians.
(c) The Spartans fight the Persians.
(d) The Thespians fight the Medes.
13. How many children does Xeones father?
(a) He only has one child, a son.
(b) He has two daughters.
(c) He has two sons.
(d) He has a son and a daughter.
14. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
(a) They are seen by General Mardonius.
(b) They come across Persian soldiers rising for the morning.
(c) They do not encounter anyone on their flight from the Persian camp.
(d) They run into another group of Egyptian marines.
15. What secret does Arete tell Xeones in Chapter 20?
(a) She tells him that the son of Rooster really was Dienekes' child.
(b) She tells him that she had been in love with Dienekes e since she was a young girl, even while married to his brother.
(c) She tells him that she has been having an affair with Leonidas for years.
(d) She tells him that she has been in love with him for years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
2. What drives Polynikes according to Dienekes?
3. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
4. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
5. When does Darius of Persia die?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)