|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
(a) He wants to hear "A Tale of Two Cities".
(b) He wants to hear "the infantryman's tale".
(c) He wants to hear a tale of generals and kings.
(d) He wants to hear about Spartan life during times of peace.
2. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
(a) They join Polynikes in berating Alexandros.
(b) They rap their knuckles on the table.
(c) They politely leave the area to avoid overhearing.
(d) They ignore the speech.
3. There is a battle on the plain west of Antirhion. Who do the Spartans fight there?
(a) They fight the Antirhion army.
(b) They fight the army of Athens.
(c) They fight the Persian army.
(d) They fight the Agrives.
4. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They stand in formation and count off.
(b) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(c) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
(d) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
5. What is panoplia?
(a) It is an eight night training exercise.
(b) It is the lake near Sparta.
(c) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(d) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
6. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
(c) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
(d) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
7. What do the Spartans do when they reach the field of battle?
(a) They charge recklessly into the melee.
(b) They send some men to sneak around and flank the enemy.
(c) They immediately retreat.
(d) They calmly go about getting ready for battle, and wait for the enemy.
8. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the hymn to Castor.
(b) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(c) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(d) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
9. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
(a) He does not care.
(b) He feels like Alexandros should just mind his own business.
(c) He feels that it is reckless.
(d) He admires Alexandros' courage.
10. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
(a) They call it the void.
(b) They call it phobology.
(c) They call it phobologiea.
(d) They call it aphobia.
11. To whom does Rooster become a squire?
(a) He becomes the squire of Leonidas.
(b) He became the squire of Dienekes.
(c) He becomes the squire of Olympieus.
(d) He becomes the squire of Xerxes.
12. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
(a) His name was Steve.
(b) His name was Agamemnon.
(c) His name was Tommie.
(d) His name was Ptammitechus.
13. How does Polynikes react to Alexandros' answer?
(a) He is angered.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He does not care.
(d) He is saddened.
14. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
(a) Alexandros dies on the final night.
(b) Dekton dies on the final night.
(c) Rooster dies on the final night.
(d) Hermion dies on the final night.
15. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(b) About twenty thousand were slain.
(c) About four thousand were slain.
(d) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
2. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
3. Why do the Antirhions lose the battle?
4. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
5. What does agoge boua mean?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)