|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
(a) He congratulates them on the victory, and commends their behavior towards the prisoners.
(b) He congratulates them on their great victory and releases them for a day to pillage the city.
(c) He berates them for their lack of courage and for their weakness.
(d) He thanks the survivors and honors the fallen, while refocusing their attention on the main battle to come.
2. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
(d) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
3. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
4. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
(a) He tells Polynikes that the battle didn't effect him at all.
(b) He tells Polynikes that he experienced a bloodlust during the battle.
(c) He tells Polynikes that he was amused by the ease with which they defeated the enemy.
(d) He tells Polynikes that the battle made him sick.
5. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
(a) Spartans love to fish.
(b) Spartans train at controlling their fear.
(c) Spartans wrestle and run.
(d) Spartans make sacrifices to their gods.
6. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
(a) His spirit roams the battlefield until eventually settling back into his body.
(b) He is given an elixir of immortality.
(c) The Fate Clotho weaves his thread back into the pattern of life.
(d) Apollo returns him to life.
7. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
(a) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is a great weapon.
(b) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is an inelegant weapon.
(c) Apollo tells Xeones that he will be killed by with a spear.
(d) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear will be the salvation of Sparta.
8. What is the half helot's nickname?
(a) His nickname is Rooster.
(b) His nickname is Suicide.
(c) His nickname is Bob.
(d) His nickname is Dog.
9. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) She was raped.
(c) She has a large scar on her face.
(d) She is too old.
10. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(b) He is already married.
(c) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
(d) He does not love her.
11. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
(a) They are locked in a small cell.
(b) They are whipped.
(c) They are given extra labor.
(d) They are heavily lectured on responsibility, but otherwise let off the hook.
12. Who is the Lady Arete asking about?
(a) She is asking about Leonidas.
(b) She is asking about Xerxes.
(c) She is asking about Rooster.
(d) She is asking about Xeones.
13. What is panoplia?
(a) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(b) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(c) It is an eight night training exercise.
(d) It is the lake near Sparta.
14. How do the Spartans view war?
(a) The Spartans see war to be simply work in the business of killing as many of the enemy as possible.
(b) The Spartans see war as the only way to peace.
(c) The Spartans see war as a good form of population control.
(d) The Spartans see war as a terrible abomination.
15. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
(a) He tells them to go to Thessaly.
(b) He tells them to go to Rome.
(c) He tells them to go to Athens.
(d) He tells them to go to Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
2. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
3. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
4. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
5. According to Xeones, each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one what?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)