|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
(a) He is twelve.
(b) He is eighteen.
(c) He is in his middle teens.
(d) He is nine.
2. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
(a) Xerxes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(b) Rooster is Xeones' sparring partner.
(c) Alexandros is Xeones' sparring partner.
(d) Polynikes is Xeones' sparring partner.
3. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
(a) It is mainly well trained regulars, career soldiers.
(b) It is mainly mercenaries hired from neighboring kingdoms.
(c) It is mainly citizen soldiers.
(d) It is an unorganized rabble of bandits and highwaymen.
4. What are the names of the two dogs that Xeones and Diomache find?
(a) The dogs are Bruno and Flanx.
(b) The dogs are Leonidas and Xerxes.
(c) The dogs are Lucky and Bruno.
(d) The dogs are Happy and Lucky.
5. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
(a) The Persians sack the city-state.
(b) The Spartans sack the city-state.
(c) The Carthagians sack the city-state.
(d) The Argives sack the city-state.
6. Who is Paraleio?
(a) She is the wife of Xerxes.
(b) She is the mother of Alexandros.
(c) She is a prostitute.
(d) She is the cousin of Xeones.
7. What is the half helot's nickname?
(a) His nickname is Dog.
(b) His nickname is Suicide.
(c) His nickname is Rooster.
(d) His nickname is Bob.
8. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
(a) He feels that it is reckless.
(b) He feels like Alexandros should just mind his own business.
(c) He admires Alexandros' courage.
(d) He does not care.
9. How many boys are there in the training platoons, according to Xeones?
(a) He says that there are fourteen hundred.
(b) He says that there are twenty-five.
(c) He says that there are seven hundred.
(d) He says that there are several thousand.
10. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
(a) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear will be the salvation of Sparta.
(b) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is a great weapon.
(c) Apollo tells Xeones that he will be killed by with a spear.
(d) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is an inelegant weapon.
11. Where is Rooster's mother's city?
(a) His mother's city is Messenia.
(b) His mother's city is Antirhion.
(c) His mother's city is Athens.
(d) His mother's city is Sparta.
12. To whom does Rooster become a squire?
(a) He became the squire of Dienekes.
(b) He becomes the squire of Olympieus.
(c) He becomes the squire of Leonidas.
(d) He becomes the squire of Xerxes.
13. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(b) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(c) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
(d) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
14. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
(b) He does not love her.
(c) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(d) He is already married.
15. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
(a) They ignore the speech.
(b) They rap their knuckles on the table.
(c) They politely leave the area to avoid overhearing.
(d) They join Polynikes in berating Alexandros.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
2. What is Hermion's nickname?
3. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
4. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
5. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)