|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(b) They are whipped with sticks.
(c) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
(d) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
2. What does Dienekes tell Alexandros after Polynikes' lecture?
(a) He tells the boy that he will eventually outrank Polynikes anyways.
(b) He tells the boy that someday he'll be able to dish it right back in Polynikes' face.
(c) He tells the boy that Polynikes is just full of hot air.
(d) He tells the boy that he will never amount to anything.
3. Where do Xeones and Alexandros catch up to the Spartan army?
(a) They catch up to them at the hot gate.
(b) They catch up to them at Thermopylae.
(c) They catch up to them at Antirhion.
(d) They catch up to them at Rhion.
4. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
(a) He becomes a general.
(b) He becomes an archer.
(c) He becomes a swordsman.
(d) He becomes a spearman.
5. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
(c) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
(d) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
6. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
(a) They are raised according to Bushido.
(b) They are raised according to the code of Hammurabi.
(c) They are raised according to the Lykurgan warrior code.
(d) They are raised according to the code of Chivalry.
7. Who is the Lady Arete asking about?
(a) She is asking about Leonidas.
(b) She is asking about Rooster.
(c) She is asking about Xerxes.
(d) She is asking about Xeones.
8. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
(a) They are killed trying to defend their home.
(b) They also escape, but are separated and spend years searching for him.
(c) They escape with him.
(d) They are captured and sold into slavery.
9. Who does Diomache take with her?
(a) She takes the dog, Lucky.
(b) She doesn't take anyone.
(c) She takes the dog, Happy.
(d) She takes the old blind slave, Bruxieus.
10. By what other name is Sparta called?
(a) Sparta is also called The Hot Gates.
(b) Sparta is also called Mount Oracle.
(c) Sparta is also called Lakedaemon.
(d) Sparta is also called Thermopylae.
11. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
(a) They hire a boat.
(b) They go around.
(c) They take the ferry.
(d) They swim.
12. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
(a) Men who make their business warfare rather than farming perform better on the field.
(b) War is a bloody business, and not for the faint of heart.
(c) War is a great and glorious undertaking.
(d) War is, unfortunately, unavoidable.
13. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
(a) Spartans train at controlling their fear.
(b) Spartans wrestle and run.
(c) Spartans make sacrifices to their gods.
(d) Spartans love to fish.
14. Who is Paraleio?
(a) She is the wife of Xerxes.
(b) She is the mother of Alexandros.
(c) She is a prostitute.
(d) She is the cousin of Xeones.
15. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them to never surrender.
(b) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
(c) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
(d) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the half helot friend of Xeones?
2. What do the Spartans do when they reach the field of battle?
3. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
4. What does agoge boua mean?
5. What does Polynikes do after dealing with Alexandros?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)