|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
(a) It is an unorganized rabble of bandits and highwaymen.
(b) It is mainly citizen soldiers.
(c) It is mainly mercenaries hired from neighboring kingdoms.
(d) It is mainly well trained regulars, career soldiers.
2. What is the name of the half helot friend of Xeones?
(a) His name is Alexandros.
(b) His name is Paraleio.
(c) His name is Polynikes.
(d) His name is Dekton.
3. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
(a) He puts the boy through a lengthy and humiliating training drill.
(b) He kindly shows the boy the proper way of handling the shield.
(c) He beats the boy senseless.
(d) He bans Alexandros from the practice fields for life.
4. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
(a) He does not care.
(b) He admires Alexandros' courage.
(c) He feels like Alexandros should just mind his own business.
(d) He feels that it is reckless.
5. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Greek for "hot springs".
(b) It is Greek for "hot gates".
(c) It is Greek for "spa".
(d) It is Egyptian profanity.
6. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
(a) Spartans wrestle and run.
(b) Spartans love to fish.
(c) Spartans make sacrifices to their gods.
(d) Spartans train at controlling their fear.
7. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(b) He is already married.
(c) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
(d) He does not love her.
8. How does Polynikes react to Alexandros' answer?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He does not care.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He is angered.
9. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
(d) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
10. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
(a) War is a bloody business, and not for the faint of heart.
(b) War is a great and glorious undertaking.
(c) War is, unfortunately, unavoidable.
(d) Men who make their business warfare rather than farming perform better on the field.
11. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(b) About twenty thousand were slain.
(c) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(d) About four thousand were slain.
12. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
(b) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(c) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
(d) The Persians were the first to arrive.
13. What is Hermion's nickname?
(a) He is called Mountain.
(b) He is called Rooster.
(c) He is called Pretty Boy.
(d) He is called The Archer.
14. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
(a) It is false.
(b) It is long and boring.
(c) It is difficult to understand.
(d) It contains much foul language.
15. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
(a) They escape with him.
(b) They are killed trying to defend their home.
(c) They also escape, but are separated and spend years searching for him.
(d) They are captured and sold into slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is panoplia?
2. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
3. How are Spartan boys punished?
4. How old are Xeones and Diomache when they separate?
5. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)