|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Rooster's mother's city?
(a) His mother's city is Sparta.
(b) His mother's city is Athens.
(c) His mother's city is Antirhion.
(d) His mother's city is Messenia.
2. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They stand in formation and count off.
(b) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(c) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
(d) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
3. To whom does Rooster become a squire?
(a) He becomes the squire of Xerxes.
(b) He becomes the squire of Olympieus.
(c) He becomes the squire of Leonidas.
(d) He became the squire of Dienekes.
4. By what other name is Sparta called?
(a) Sparta is also called Mount Oracle.
(b) Sparta is also called Lakedaemon.
(c) Sparta is also called The Hot Gates.
(d) Sparta is also called Thermopylae.
5. Who is the half helot's father?
(a) His father had been a Spartan soldier.
(b) His father is king Leonidas.
(c) His father is a farmer.
(d) His father is a member of the council.
6. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
(a) War is, unfortunately, unavoidable.
(b) Men who make their business warfare rather than farming perform better on the field.
(c) War is a great and glorious undertaking.
(d) War is a bloody business, and not for the faint of heart.
7. Where do Xeones and Alexandros catch up to the Spartan army?
(a) They catch up to them at Antirhion.
(b) They catch up to them at the hot gate.
(c) They catch up to them at Thermopylae.
(d) They catch up to them at Rhion.
8. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
(a) They are raised according to the code of Hammurabi.
(b) They are raised according to the Lykurgan warrior code.
(c) They are raised according to Bushido.
(d) They are raised according to the code of Chivalry.
9. Who is Diomache?
(a) Diomache is one of the three Fates of Greek mythology.
(b) Diomache is the wife of Leonidas.
(c) Diomache is the concubine of Xerxes.
(d) Diomache is the cousin of Xeones.
10. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
(a) His name was Steve.
(b) His name was Ptammitechus.
(c) His name was Agamemnon.
(d) His name was Tommie.
11. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(b) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(c) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
12. What is the half helot's nickname?
(a) His nickname is Dog.
(b) His nickname is Suicide.
(c) His nickname is Bob.
(d) His nickname is Rooster.
13. Why does Xeones refuse to narrate anymore?
(a) He realizes that telling Xerxes of Spartan warfare is treason.
(b) He grows bored with the work.
(c) He finds out about the mutilation of king Leonidas' body.
(d) He learns that Xerxes is going to kill him after he completes his story.
14. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
(b) They are whipped with sticks.
(c) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(d) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
15. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
2. Who does Diomache take with her?
3. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
4. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
5. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)