|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
(a) Spartans wrestle and run.
(b) Spartans love to fish.
(c) Spartans make sacrifices to their gods.
(d) Spartans train at controlling their fear.
2. How do the Spartans view war?
(a) The Spartans see war as a terrible abomination.
(b) The Spartans see war to be simply work in the business of killing as many of the enemy as possible.
(c) The Spartans see war as a good form of population control.
(d) The Spartans see war as the only way to peace.
3. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
(a) He bans Alexandros from the practice fields for life.
(b) He kindly shows the boy the proper way of handling the shield.
(c) He beats the boy senseless.
(d) He puts the boy through a lengthy and humiliating training drill.
4. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the narrator of the story.
(b) He is the king of the Persian empire.
(c) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
(d) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
5. Alexandros wants to go to battle with the older Spartans. Who tries to stop him?
(a) Leonidas tries to stop him.
(b) Xeones tries to stop him.
(c) His mother tries to stop him.
(d) Polynikes tries to stop him.
6. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) He does not love her.
(b) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(c) He is already married.
(d) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
7. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They stand in formation and count off.
(b) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(c) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
(d) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
8. By what other name is Sparta called?
(a) Sparta is also called Lakedaemon.
(b) Sparta is also called Thermopylae.
(c) Sparta is also called Mount Oracle.
(d) Sparta is also called The Hot Gates.
9. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
(a) His spirit roams the battlefield until eventually settling back into his body.
(b) He is given an elixir of immortality.
(c) Apollo returns him to life.
(d) The Fate Clotho weaves his thread back into the pattern of life.
10. Who is Paraleio?
(a) She is the mother of Alexandros.
(b) She is the cousin of Xeones.
(c) She is the wife of Xerxes.
(d) She is a prostitute.
11. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
(a) He congratulates them on the victory, and commends their behavior towards the prisoners.
(b) He thanks the survivors and honors the fallen, while refocusing their attention on the main battle to come.
(c) He berates them for their lack of courage and for their weakness.
(d) He congratulates them on their great victory and releases them for a day to pillage the city.
12. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
(a) He feels that the gods show more favor to the Spartans than to anyone else.
(b) He says that the Spartans are far more intelligent than anyone else.
(c) He feels that all men are equal.
(d) He says that they are better because of war and manly valor.
13. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(b) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
(c) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
(d) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
14. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
(a) He is depressed that his girlfriend broke up with him.
(b) He is depressed that his family is dead.
(c) He is depressed that he cannot fight with a spear.
(d) He prefers a death by freezing to the slow, painful death he will have due to his fever.
15. What is the half helot's nickname?
(a) His nickname is Suicide.
(b) His nickname is Bob.
(c) His nickname is Rooster.
(d) His nickname is Dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does agoge boua mean?
2. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
3. Who are the two narrators of this story?
4. Who does Diomache take with her?
5. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)