|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
(a) They are locked in a small cell.
(b) They are whipped.
(c) They are given extra labor.
(d) They are heavily lectured on responsibility, but otherwise let off the hook.
2. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
(a) Alexandros is Xeones' sparring partner.
(b) Xerxes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(c) Rooster is Xeones' sparring partner.
(d) Polynikes is Xeones' sparring partner.
3. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They stand in formation and count off.
(b) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(c) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
(d) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
4. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
(a) The farmers cut off his right hand.
(b) The farmers beat him severely.
(c) The farmers drive nails through his hands.
(d) He is made to pay for what he stole.
5. Who does Diomache take with her?
(a) She takes the dog, Happy.
(b) She doesn't take anyone.
(c) She takes the dog, Lucky.
(d) She takes the old blind slave, Bruxieus.
6. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
(b) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
(c) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(d) They are whipped with sticks.
7. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
(a) He becomes a swordsman.
(b) He becomes an archer.
(c) He becomes a spearman.
(d) He becomes a general.
8. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the narrator of the story.
(b) He is the king of the Persian empire.
(c) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
(d) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
9. According to Xeones, each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one what?
(a) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one spear.
(b) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one Darning Needle.
(c) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one helot.
(d) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one horse.
10. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the hymn to Castor.
(b) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(c) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(d) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
11. Why does Xeones refuse to narrate anymore?
(a) He learns that Xerxes is going to kill him after he completes his story.
(b) He grows bored with the work.
(c) He finds out about the mutilation of king Leonidas' body.
(d) He realizes that telling Xerxes of Spartan warfare is treason.
12. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
(d) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
13. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
(a) He wants to hear about Spartan life during times of peace.
(b) He wants to hear a tale of generals and kings.
(c) He wants to hear "A Tale of Two Cities".
(d) He wants to hear "the infantryman's tale".
14. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
(a) He is trying to steal a horse.
(b) He is trying to steal some cabbage.
(c) He is trying to steal a chicken.
(d) He is trying to steal a goose.
15. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
(a) They rap their knuckles on the table.
(b) They ignore the speech.
(c) They politely leave the area to avoid overhearing.
(d) They join Polynikes in berating Alexandros.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
2. How many boys are there in the training platoons, according to Xeones?
3. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
4. Who are the two narrators of this story?
5. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)