|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
(a) He is nine.
(b) He is eighteen.
(c) He is twelve.
(d) He is in his middle teens.
2. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
(b) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(c) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
(d) They stand in formation and count off.
3. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
(a) They call it aphobia.
(b) They call it the void.
(c) They call it phobologiea.
(d) They call it phobology.
4. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
(a) The Fate Clotho weaves his thread back into the pattern of life.
(b) He is given an elixir of immortality.
(c) Apollo returns him to life.
(d) His spirit roams the battlefield until eventually settling back into his body.
5. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
(b) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
(c) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(d) They are whipped with sticks.
6. How do the Spartans view war?
(a) The Spartans see war as the only way to peace.
(b) The Spartans see war as a good form of population control.
(c) The Spartans see war to be simply work in the business of killing as many of the enemy as possible.
(d) The Spartans see war as a terrible abomination.
7. Why does Xeones refuse to narrate anymore?
(a) He learns that Xerxes is going to kill him after he completes his story.
(b) He finds out about the mutilation of king Leonidas' body.
(c) He realizes that telling Xerxes of Spartan warfare is treason.
(d) He grows bored with the work.
8. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
(a) Alexandros is Xeones' sparring partner.
(b) Rooster is Xeones' sparring partner.
(c) Xerxes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(d) Polynikes is Xeones' sparring partner.
9. Who is Paraleio?
(a) She is a prostitute.
(b) She is the cousin of Xeones.
(c) She is the mother of Alexandros.
(d) She is the wife of Xerxes.
10. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
(b) He takes the survivors as slaves.
(c) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
(d) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
11. Who are the two narrators of this story?
(a) There is only one narrator, Xeones.
(b) The scribe and Xeones are the narrators.
(c) Ball Player and Rooster are the narrators.
(d) Xerxes and Leonidas are the narrators.
12. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
(a) They escape with him.
(b) They are killed trying to defend their home.
(c) They are captured and sold into slavery.
(d) They also escape, but are separated and spend years searching for him.
13. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
(b) He prefers to use his two short swords.
(c) He prefers to use a longbow.
(d) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
14. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
(a) He feels that it is reckless.
(b) He admires Alexandros' courage.
(c) He feels like Alexandros should just mind his own business.
(d) He does not care.
15. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
(a) He tells Polynikes that the battle made him sick.
(b) He tells Polynikes that the battle didn't effect him at all.
(c) He tells Polynikes that he was amused by the ease with which they defeated the enemy.
(d) He tells Polynikes that he experienced a bloodlust during the battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Xeones punished after the battle at Antirhion?
2. Who is the Lady Arete asking about?
3. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
4. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
5. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)