|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Spartans view war?
(a) The Spartans see war as a terrible abomination.
(b) The Spartans see war to be simply work in the business of killing as many of the enemy as possible.
(c) The Spartans see war as a good form of population control.
(d) The Spartans see war as the only way to peace.
2. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
(a) Hermion dies on the final night.
(b) Alexandros dies on the final night.
(c) Rooster dies on the final night.
(d) Dekton dies on the final night.
3. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
(a) It is mainly mercenaries hired from neighboring kingdoms.
(b) It is an unorganized rabble of bandits and highwaymen.
(c) It is mainly citizen soldiers.
(d) It is mainly well trained regulars, career soldiers.
4. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
(b) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
(c) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
(d) He is a farmer.
5. What causes Xeones to continue the story?
(a) Xeones decides to finish the story.
(b) Dmaratos, a cruel Persian soldier, threatened to beat him if he did not continue.
(c) Dmaratos, a deposed Spartan king, reminds him of his duty to Apollo.
(d) Xerxes told him that he would kill him if he did not continue.
6. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
(a) They politely leave the area to avoid overhearing.
(b) They rap their knuckles on the table.
(c) They ignore the speech.
(d) They join Polynikes in berating Alexandros.
7. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) She has a large scar on her face.
(c) She is too old.
(d) She was raped.
8. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
9. What does agoge boua mean?
(a) Agoge boua means honorable death.
(b) Agoge boua means training platoon.
(c) Agoge boua means eight-nighter.
(d) Agoge boua means battle rage.
10. According to Xeones, each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one what?
(a) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one helot.
(b) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one Darning Needle.
(c) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one spear.
(d) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one horse.
11. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
(a) They are whipped.
(b) They are locked in a small cell.
(c) They are heavily lectured on responsibility, but otherwise let off the hook.
(d) They are given extra labor.
12. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
(a) Xerxes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(b) Polynikes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(c) Alexandros is Xeones' sparring partner.
(d) Rooster is Xeones' sparring partner.
13. Who is the half helot's father?
(a) His father is king Leonidas.
(b) His father is a member of the council.
(c) His father is a farmer.
(d) His father had been a Spartan soldier.
14. Where is Rooster's mother's city?
(a) His mother's city is Athens.
(b) His mother's city is Sparta.
(c) His mother's city is Messenia.
(d) His mother's city is Antirhion.
15. Who is Paraleio?
(a) She is the wife of Xerxes.
(b) She is the mother of Alexandros.
(c) She is the cousin of Xeones.
(d) She is a prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
2. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
3. Who is Xerxes?
4. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
5. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)