|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
(a) He becomes a swordsman.
(b) He becomes a spearman.
(c) He becomes an archer.
(d) He becomes a general.
2. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
(a) He is made to pay for what he stole.
(b) The farmers beat him severely.
(c) The farmers cut off his right hand.
(d) The farmers drive nails through his hands.
3. To whom does Rooster become a squire?
(a) He becomes the squire of Olympieus.
(b) He became the squire of Dienekes.
(c) He becomes the squire of Leonidas.
(d) He becomes the squire of Xerxes.
4. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
(b) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(c) He numbers it at about two million men.
(d) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
5. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
(b) He prefers to use his two short swords.
(c) He prefers to use a longbow.
(d) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
6. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
(a) He is trying to steal some cabbage.
(b) He is trying to steal a horse.
(c) He is trying to steal a goose.
(d) He is trying to steal a chicken.
7. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
(a) He tells them to go to Athens.
(b) He tells them to go to Thessaly.
(c) He tells them to go to Rome.
(d) He tells them to go to Sparta.
8. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
(a) He tells Polynikes that he experienced a bloodlust during the battle.
(b) He tells Polynikes that the battle didn't effect him at all.
(c) He tells Polynikes that the battle made him sick.
(d) He tells Polynikes that he was amused by the ease with which they defeated the enemy.
9. What is the name of the half helot friend of Xeones?
(a) His name is Alexandros.
(b) His name is Paraleio.
(c) His name is Dekton.
(d) His name is Polynikes.
10. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(c) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
11. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
(b) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
(c) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(d) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
12. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(b) About four thousand were slain.
(c) About twenty thousand were slain.
(d) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
13. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them to never surrender.
(b) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
(c) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
(d) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
14. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
(a) He congratulates them on their great victory and releases them for a day to pillage the city.
(b) He berates them for their lack of courage and for their weakness.
(c) He thanks the survivors and honors the fallen, while refocusing their attention on the main battle to come.
(d) He congratulates them on the victory, and commends their behavior towards the prisoners.
15. What are the names of the two dogs that Xeones and Diomache find?
(a) The dogs are Bruno and Flanx.
(b) The dogs are Happy and Lucky.
(c) The dogs are Leonidas and Xerxes.
(d) The dogs are Lucky and Bruno.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
2. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
3. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
4. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
5. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)