|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
(c) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
2. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
(a) He is eighteen.
(b) He is in his middle teens.
(c) He is nine.
(d) He is twelve.
3. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
(a) They have had only daughters.
(b) They have had one son.
(c) They have had many sons.
(d) They have had three sons.
4. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
(a) He tells Polynikes that he was amused by the ease with which they defeated the enemy.
(b) He tells Polynikes that he experienced a bloodlust during the battle.
(c) He tells Polynikes that the battle didn't effect him at all.
(d) He tells Polynikes that the battle made him sick.
5. By what other name is Sparta called?
(a) Sparta is also called Mount Oracle.
(b) Sparta is also called The Hot Gates.
(c) Sparta is also called Thermopylae.
(d) Sparta is also called Lakedaemon.
6. How does Polynikes react to Alexandros' answer?
(a) He is saddened.
(b) He is angered.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He does not care.
7. What does agoge boua mean?
(a) Agoge boua means training platoon.
(b) Agoge boua means honorable death.
(c) Agoge boua means battle rage.
(d) Agoge boua means eight-nighter.
8. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
(a) They are raised according to Bushido.
(b) They are raised according to the Lykurgan warrior code.
(c) They are raised according to the code of Hammurabi.
(d) They are raised according to the code of Chivalry.
9. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
(a) The Argives sack the city-state.
(b) The Carthagians sack the city-state.
(c) The Persians sack the city-state.
(d) The Spartans sack the city-state.
10. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He takes the survivors as slaves.
(b) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
(c) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
(d) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
11. Why do the Antirhions lose the battle?
(a) They are far outnumbered by the Spartans.
(b) They lack the advanced weaponry of the Spartans.
(c) They allow fear to take control.
(d) There are traitors in the line.
12. What does Dienekes tell Alexandros after Polynikes' lecture?
(a) He tells the boy that he will never amount to anything.
(b) He tells the boy that someday he'll be able to dish it right back in Polynikes' face.
(c) He tells the boy that he will eventually outrank Polynikes anyways.
(d) He tells the boy that Polynikes is just full of hot air.
13. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
(a) He wants to hear a tale of generals and kings.
(b) He wants to hear "A Tale of Two Cities".
(c) He wants to hear about Spartan life during times of peace.
(d) He wants to hear "the infantryman's tale".
14. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the narrator of the story.
(b) He is the king of the Persian empire.
(c) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
(d) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
15. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
(a) The king commands from the back of the army where it is safer.
(b) The king does not go with his army, but sends a general in his stead.
(c) The king usually stays at the center of his army, so that his men surround him at all times.
(d) The king remains at the front of the lines, where he can be a part of the action at all times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is exoterike harmoniea?
2. How many boys are there in the training platoons, according to Xeones?
3. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
4. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
5. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)