|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Diomache?
(a) Diomache is one of the three Fates of Greek mythology.
(b) Diomache is the concubine of Xerxes.
(c) Diomache is the cousin of Xeones.
(d) Diomache is the wife of Leonidas.
2. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
(a) They are designed to entertain the boys and keep them out of trouble.
(b) They are designed as entertainment for the people.
(c) They are designed as a way to pass time.
(d) They are designed to simulate battle for training.
3. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
(a) He is given an elixir of immortality.
(b) The Fate Clotho weaves his thread back into the pattern of life.
(c) Apollo returns him to life.
(d) His spirit roams the battlefield until eventually settling back into his body.
4. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(b) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
(c) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
(d) They are whipped with sticks.
5. How does Polynikes react to Alexandros' answer?
(a) He is saddened.
(b) He is angered.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He does not care.
6. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(b) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(c) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
(d) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
7. What causes Xeones to continue the story?
(a) Xerxes told him that he would kill him if he did not continue.
(b) Dmaratos, a deposed Spartan king, reminds him of his duty to Apollo.
(c) Xeones decides to finish the story.
(d) Dmaratos, a cruel Persian soldier, threatened to beat him if he did not continue.
8. What does Dienekes tell Alexandros after Polynikes' lecture?
(a) He tells the boy that Polynikes is just full of hot air.
(b) He tells the boy that he will eventually outrank Polynikes anyways.
(c) He tells the boy that he will never amount to anything.
(d) He tells the boy that someday he'll be able to dish it right back in Polynikes' face.
9. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
(a) They hire a boat.
(b) They go around.
(c) They swim.
(d) They take the ferry.
10. Who are the two narrators of this story?
(a) There is only one narrator, Xeones.
(b) The scribe and Xeones are the narrators.
(c) Xerxes and Leonidas are the narrators.
(d) Ball Player and Rooster are the narrators.
11. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
(b) It is done to confuse the enemy.
(c) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(d) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
12. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
(c) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
(d) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
13. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
(b) The Persians were the first to arrive.
(c) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(d) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
14. For what is Xeones punished after the battle at Antirhion?
(a) He is punished for mouthing off to a superior officer.
(b) He is punished for following the army.
(c) He is punished for his recklessness on the field of battle.
(d) He is punished for not reporting in a timely fashion.
15. Alexandros wants to go to battle with the older Spartans. Who tries to stop him?
(a) Polynikes tries to stop him.
(b) His mother tries to stop him.
(c) Leonidas tries to stop him.
(d) Xeones tries to stop him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is oktonyktia?
2. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
3. Who is Paraleio?
4. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
5. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)