|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
(a) He feels that the gods show more favor to the Spartans than to anyone else.
(b) He says that they are better because of war and manly valor.
(c) He feels that all men are equal.
(d) He says that the Spartans are far more intelligent than anyone else.
2. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
(b) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(c) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
(d) He numbers it at about two million men.
3. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
(b) He tells them to never surrender.
(c) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
(d) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
4. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
(a) He tells Polynikes that the battle made him sick.
(b) He tells Polynikes that he was amused by the ease with which they defeated the enemy.
(c) He tells Polynikes that he experienced a bloodlust during the battle.
(d) He tells Polynikes that the battle didn't effect him at all.
5. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
(a) They are designed as entertainment for the people.
(b) They are designed to simulate battle for training.
(c) They are designed to entertain the boys and keep them out of trouble.
(d) They are designed as a way to pass time.
6. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
(a) He becomes a swordsman.
(b) He becomes an archer.
(c) He becomes a general.
(d) He becomes a spearman.
7. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
(a) It contains much foul language.
(b) It is false.
(c) It is difficult to understand.
(d) It is long and boring.
8. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(b) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
(c) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
(d) The Persians were the first to arrive.
9. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) About four thousand were slain.
(b) About twenty thousand were slain.
(c) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(d) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
10. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
(b) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(c) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
(d) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
11. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
(b) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
(c) He takes the survivors as slaves.
(d) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
12. What are the names of the two dogs that Xeones and Diomache find?
(a) The dogs are Bruno and Flanx.
(b) The dogs are Leonidas and Xerxes.
(c) The dogs are Lucky and Bruno.
(d) The dogs are Happy and Lucky.
13. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
(a) They are captured and sold into slavery.
(b) They also escape, but are separated and spend years searching for him.
(c) They are killed trying to defend their home.
(d) They escape with him.
14. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
(b) They stand in formation and count off.
(c) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
(d) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
15. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
(a) They are heavily lectured on responsibility, but otherwise let off the hook.
(b) They are whipped.
(c) They are given extra labor.
(d) They are locked in a small cell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the half helot's nickname?
2. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
3. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
4. Alexandros wants to go to battle with the older Spartans. Who tries to stop him?
5. What is Hermion's nickname?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)