|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Diomache?
(a) Diomache is the cousin of Xeones.
(b) Diomache is the concubine of Xerxes.
(c) Diomache is one of the three Fates of Greek mythology.
(d) Diomache is the wife of Leonidas.
2. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(b) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(c) About four thousand were slain.
(d) About twenty thousand were slain.
3. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
(a) He admires Alexandros' courage.
(b) He feels that it is reckless.
(c) He does not care.
(d) He feels like Alexandros should just mind his own business.
4. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are whipped with sticks.
(b) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
(c) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(d) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
5. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
(a) The king usually stays at the center of his army, so that his men surround him at all times.
(b) The king commands from the back of the army where it is safer.
(c) The king does not go with his army, but sends a general in his stead.
(d) The king remains at the front of the lines, where he can be a part of the action at all times.
6. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
(a) Xeones is from in Sparta.
(b) Xeones is from in Athens.
(c) Xeones is from a country farm in Akarnania, not a city-state.
(d) Xeones is from in Astakos.
7. What are the names of the two dogs that Xeones and Diomache find?
(a) The dogs are Leonidas and Xerxes.
(b) The dogs are Lucky and Bruno.
(c) The dogs are Bruno and Flanx.
(d) The dogs are Happy and Lucky.
8. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
(a) The Fate Clotho weaves his thread back into the pattern of life.
(b) His spirit roams the battlefield until eventually settling back into his body.
(c) He is given an elixir of immortality.
(d) Apollo returns him to life.
9. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the king of the Persian empire.
(b) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
(c) He is the narrator of the story.
(d) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
10. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
(a) They have had many sons.
(b) They have had only daughters.
(c) They have had one son.
(d) They have had three sons.
11. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
(b) He tells them to never surrender.
(c) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
(d) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
12. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use a longbow.
(b) He prefers to use his two short swords.
(c) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
(d) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
13. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
(a) It is difficult to understand.
(b) It is false.
(c) It contains much foul language.
(d) It is long and boring.
14. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
(a) He tells Polynikes that the battle made him sick.
(b) He tells Polynikes that he was amused by the ease with which they defeated the enemy.
(c) He tells Polynikes that he experienced a bloodlust during the battle.
(d) He tells Polynikes that the battle didn't effect him at all.
15. Who is the half helot's father?
(a) His father had been a Spartan soldier.
(b) His father is a member of the council.
(c) His father is a farmer.
(d) His father is king Leonidas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Xeones and Diomache when they separate?
2. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
3. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
4. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
5. What does Dienekes tell Alexandros after Polynikes' lecture?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)