|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does agoge boua mean?
(a) Agoge boua means battle rage.
(b) Agoge boua means eight-nighter.
(c) Agoge boua means honorable death.
(d) Agoge boua means training platoon.
2. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
(a) They are raised according to Bushido.
(b) They are raised according to the code of Chivalry.
(c) They are raised according to the Lykurgan warrior code.
(d) They are raised according to the code of Hammurabi.
3. Who are the two narrators of this story?
(a) The scribe and Xeones are the narrators.
(b) Ball Player and Rooster are the narrators.
(c) There is only one narrator, Xeones.
(d) Xerxes and Leonidas are the narrators.
4. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
(a) He feels that the gods show more favor to the Spartans than to anyone else.
(b) He says that the Spartans are far more intelligent than anyone else.
(c) He feels that all men are equal.
(d) He says that they are better because of war and manly valor.
5. Who is the Lady Arete asking about?
(a) She is asking about Xerxes.
(b) She is asking about Rooster.
(c) She is asking about Xeones.
(d) She is asking about Leonidas.
6. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
(a) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear will be the salvation of Sparta.
(b) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is an inelegant weapon.
(c) Apollo tells Xeones that he will be killed by with a spear.
(d) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is a great weapon.
7. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(c) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
8. What does Dienekes tell Alexandros after Polynikes' lecture?
(a) He tells the boy that he will never amount to anything.
(b) He tells the boy that someday he'll be able to dish it right back in Polynikes' face.
(c) He tells the boy that Polynikes is just full of hot air.
(d) He tells the boy that he will eventually outrank Polynikes anyways.
9. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
(a) They are designed to entertain the boys and keep them out of trouble.
(b) They are designed to simulate battle for training.
(c) They are designed as entertainment for the people.
(d) They are designed as a way to pass time.
10. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
(b) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(c) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(d) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
11. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
(a) The Spartans sack the city-state.
(b) The Carthagians sack the city-state.
(c) The Argives sack the city-state.
(d) The Persians sack the city-state.
12. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
(a) He describes him as a warrior over forty-years-old who carries wounds from many battles.
(b) He describes him as a great hero.
(c) He describes him as a young warrior, inexperienced in battle, but fierce and strong.
(d) He describes him as a silly old man, full of outdated ideas.
13. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
(b) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(c) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
(d) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
14. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
(b) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
(c) He takes the survivors as slaves.
(d) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
15. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(b) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
(c) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
(d) The Persians were the first to arrive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
2. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
3. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
4. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
5. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)