|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
(b) He prefers to use his two short swords.
(c) He prefers to use a longbow.
(d) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
2. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
(a) He puts the boy through a lengthy and humiliating training drill.
(b) He kindly shows the boy the proper way of handling the shield.
(c) He bans Alexandros from the practice fields for life.
(d) He beats the boy senseless.
3. Where is Rooster's mother's city?
(a) His mother's city is Antirhion.
(b) His mother's city is Messenia.
(c) His mother's city is Sparta.
(d) His mother's city is Athens.
4. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
(c) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
(d) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
5. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
(a) He wants to hear "the infantryman's tale".
(b) He wants to hear a tale of generals and kings.
(c) He wants to hear about Spartan life during times of peace.
(d) He wants to hear "A Tale of Two Cities".
6. What is Hermion's nickname?
(a) He is called Mountain.
(b) He is called Rooster.
(c) He is called The Archer.
(d) He is called Pretty Boy.
7. What is panoplia?
(a) It is an eight night training exercise.
(b) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(c) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(d) It is the lake near Sparta.
8. What is oktonyktia?
(a) It is the lake near Sparta.
(b) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(c) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(d) It is an eight-night training exercise.
9. What is the half helot's nickname?
(a) His nickname is Dog.
(b) His nickname is Bob.
(c) His nickname is Suicide.
(d) His nickname is Rooster.
10. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
(b) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(c) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
(d) The Persians were the first to arrive.
11. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
12. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
(a) He feels that the gods show more favor to the Spartans than to anyone else.
(b) He says that they are better because of war and manly valor.
(c) He feels that all men are equal.
(d) He says that the Spartans are far more intelligent than anyone else.
13. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
(a) He is trying to steal a goose.
(b) He is trying to steal some cabbage.
(c) He is trying to steal a chicken.
(d) He is trying to steal a horse.
14. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
(a) He thanks the survivors and honors the fallen, while refocusing their attention on the main battle to come.
(b) He congratulates them on their great victory and releases them for a day to pillage the city.
(c) He congratulates them on the victory, and commends their behavior towards the prisoners.
(d) He berates them for their lack of courage and for their weakness.
15. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
(a) The farmers drive nails through his hands.
(b) The farmers beat him severely.
(c) The farmers cut off his right hand.
(d) He is made to pay for what he stole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does agoge boua mean?
2. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
3. What is exoterike harmoniea?
4. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
5. Who is Xerxes?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)