|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Rooster become a squire?
(a) He becomes the squire of Leonidas.
(b) He becomes the squire of Xerxes.
(c) He becomes the squire of Olympieus.
(d) He became the squire of Dienekes.
2. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
(a) His name was Agamemnon.
(b) His name was Ptammitechus.
(c) His name was Tommie.
(d) His name was Steve.
3. What is exoterike harmoniea?
(a) Exoterike harmoniea is the musical harmony of a multistringed instrument.
(b) Exoterike harmoniea is a state of self composure attained through the control of fear.
(c) Exoterike harmoniea is a composition dedicated to the gods.
(d) Exoterike harmoniea is a state of union with one's fellows.
4. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
(a) He describes him as a young warrior, inexperienced in battle, but fierce and strong.
(b) He describes him as a silly old man, full of outdated ideas.
(c) He describes him as a great hero.
(d) He describes him as a warrior over forty-years-old who carries wounds from many battles.
5. Where do Xeones and Alexandros catch up to the Spartan army?
(a) They catch up to them at the hot gate.
(b) They catch up to them at Rhion.
(c) They catch up to them at Antirhion.
(d) They catch up to them at Thermopylae.
6. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
(b) He is already married.
(c) He does not love her.
(d) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
7. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
(a) He wants to hear about Spartan life during times of peace.
(b) He wants to hear "the infantryman's tale".
(c) He wants to hear a tale of generals and kings.
(d) He wants to hear "A Tale of Two Cities".
8. For what is Xeones punished after the battle at Antirhion?
(a) He is punished for his recklessness on the field of battle.
(b) He is punished for mouthing off to a superior officer.
(c) He is punished for following the army.
(d) He is punished for not reporting in a timely fashion.
9. To whom does Xeones tell his story?
(a) He tells it to Xerxes.
(b) He tells it to a scribe.
(c) He tells it to Leonidas.
(d) He tells it to Lady Arete.
10. What does agoge boua mean?
(a) Agoge boua means eight-nighter.
(b) Agoge boua means battle rage.
(c) Agoge boua means honorable death.
(d) Agoge boua means training platoon.
11. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(b) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
(c) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(d) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
12. What do the Spartans do when they reach the field of battle?
(a) They send some men to sneak around and flank the enemy.
(b) They calmly go about getting ready for battle, and wait for the enemy.
(c) They charge recklessly into the melee.
(d) They immediately retreat.
13. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
(a) They join Polynikes in berating Alexandros.
(b) They rap their knuckles on the table.
(c) They ignore the speech.
(d) They politely leave the area to avoid overhearing.
14. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
(a) Apollo tells Xeones that he will be killed by with a spear.
(b) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear will be the salvation of Sparta.
(c) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is a great weapon.
(d) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is an inelegant weapon.
15. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
(a) They are locked in a small cell.
(b) They are given extra labor.
(c) They are whipped.
(d) They are heavily lectured on responsibility, but otherwise let off the hook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Rooster's mother's city?
2. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
3. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
4. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
5. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)