|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(b) About four thousand were slain.
(c) About twenty thousand were slain.
(d) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
2. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
(a) It is called The Ploughman's Blade.
(b) It is called The Oak.
(c) It is called sparring.
(d) It is called The Breaking.
3. According to Xeones, each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one what?
(a) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one horse.
(b) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one helot.
(c) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one spear.
(d) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one Darning Needle.
4. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
(a) They have had one son.
(b) They have had only daughters.
(c) They have had many sons.
(d) They have had three sons.
5. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
(b) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
(c) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
(d) He is a farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Xerxes?
2. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
3. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
4. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
5. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)