Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 1 - 4
* Xeones, a captive Greek, dictates to a Persian scribe the story of his life and what it means to be Spartan.
* Xeones is killed in battle at Thermopylae, but is returned to life by the god Apollo to tell of what happened.
* Xeones first describes Thermopylae.
* Xeones then tells of how that Agrives betrayed and sacked his city-state, and how he and his cousin Diomache escaped.
Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7
* Xeones, Diomache, and a slave named Bruxieus live as best as they can in the mountains after the attack.
* Some farmers catch Xeones stealing a goose, and they drive stakes through his hands.
* Xeones tells of how boys are whipped in Sparta for punishment, and how they are taught to become unafraid of pain.
* Xeones becomes depressed over his crippled hands, and falls ill and almost dies. He has a vision of Apollo, who...
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)