|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spoils the sex between Jakob and Alex?
2. Who is Jakob Beer?
3. What does Jakob think about the Catalan Atlas?
4. What is "Bearing False Witness"?
5. How does Jakob approach listening to composers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kostas say about Palamas and Sikelianos?
2. What is Biskupin and what happens to it?
3. What does Jakob sense from his hiding place as his family is killed?
4. What does Athos teach Jakob to cook, and why does Jakob stop going to the grocery store?
5. What is Jakob's reaction to reading Athos' letters?
6. Why do Athos and Jakob go to Athens and in what condition is Greece?
7. How does the relationship between Alex and Jakob evolve?
8. Describe the day-to-day life of Jakob and Athos.
9. Why do Athos and Jakob identify with explorers of Antarctica?
10. Why does Athos choose Toronto as the place to relocate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Athos and Jakob. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ben and Jakob. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Compare/contrast the characters of Michaela and Naomi. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
4. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Fugitive Pieces help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "Fugitive Pieces"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in "Fugitive Pieces" including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Fugitive Pieces" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)