|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the site where Jakob has just emerged?
(b) It has no official name.
2. Who is Helen?
(a) Jakob's one surviving aunt.
(b) Athos' deceased sister.
(c) Athos' deceased wife.
(d) A woman Jakob stays with for several months.
3. What does Athos teach Jakob to cook?
(a) Blood pudding.
(b) Canadian traditional food.
(c) A Jewish seder meal.
(d) Greek dishes.
4. What is the state of Greece during this time?
(a) It is rapidly recovering from WWII.
(b) It has become a strong, financial center of the area.
(c) It is in ruins.
(d) It better off than many of the post-WWII countries, but not real good.
5. What does Jacob see boys doing to produce squawks?
(a) Sliding their fingers on wires.
(b) Blowing homemade pipes.
(c) Blowing on leaves of grass.
(d) Blowing across bottle openings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in 1968, which is the opening to Book I?
2. What does Athos say stones do?
3. Who is Maurice Salman?
4. What do Athos' stories evoke in Jakob?
5. Where do Athos and Jakob take up residence in Toronto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jakob's reaction to reading Athos' letters?
2. Where is Jakob Beer at the opening of the novel, and what is he doing?
3. What does Jakob do after he witnesses the invasion of his home?
4. What does Jakob sense from his hiding place as his family is killed?
5. How does Athos relate natural phenomenon to railroads and the Holocaust?
6. Describe Alex.
7. What is Toronto like and where do Athos and Jakob go to live?
8. How does Jakob learn English, and of what is he proud as he is mastering the language?
9. What incident does Ioannis relate, and of what does it remind Jakob?
10. What thoughts does Jakob have about the Catalan Atlas and history?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)