|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Jakob live in constant fear?
(a) Hearing the door being kicked in.
(b) Athos making him leave.
(c) His father's ghost ordering his to wreck vengeance.
(d) His mother's ghost wandering.
2. What is Jakob to do when Alex leaves him?
(a) Return to Poland.
(b) Find a more suitable wife.
(c) Not step outside the door.
(d) Return to Greece.
3. Where does Jakob learn to live a normal life as Athos prepares for their move to Canada?
(a) He does not learn this.
(b) From Kostas and Daphne.
(c) From Sikelianos.
(d) From the other boys of the town.
4. What does Ioannis tell of losing?
(a) His fishing boat.
(b) His family.
(c) His jewels.
(d) His livilihood.
5. With what composer was Bella once obsessed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athos do because he senses he is running out of time?
2. What reminds Jakob of his mother and Bella?
3. Who is Jakob Beer?
4. What is Athos' professional specialty?
5. What happens in 1968, which is the opening to Book I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Athos and what does he pass on to Jakob?
2. What did Jakob Beer witness as he hid in the bog?
3. How does Jakob meet Alex?
4. What does Athos do and say before he and Jakob leave for Canada?
5. How does Athos relate natural phenomenon to railroads and the Holocaust?
6. How does Jakob end up in Greece?
7. How does Jakob contrast history and memory?
8. What often causes Athos to become depressed or angry?
9. Why do Athos and Jakob go to Athens and in what condition is Greece?
10. What does Kostas say about Palamas and Sikelianos?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)