|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is possible with recorded history?
(a) It can be forgotten.
(b) It can be erased.
(c) It can be resurrected.
(d) It can be altered.
2. What can lightning to to clothing?
(a) Expand it so it falls off.
(b) Contracts it so it's too tight.
(c) Weaken the material.
3. Approximately how many volts are in a bolt of lightning?
(a) 1 million.
(b) 400 million.
(d) 100 million.
4. How does Jakob make a living?
(b) Greek-English translations.
5. What does the rabbi say when passengers ask his forgiveness?
(a) He offers forgiveness freely.
(b) He cannot give it as it was the man on the train who they ridiculed.
(c) He offers forgiveness with stipulations.
(d) They never ask forgiveness of the rabbi.
6. What can ball lightning do in a room?
(a) It can blow out all the electronics without ever touching any of them.
(b) It can make your clothes shrink.
(c) There is no such thing as ball lightning.
(d) Circle it and exit without causing any harm.
7. What does Michaela do for Ben?
(a) Lets him see the future.
(b) Softens his perceptions of Jakob's pain.
(c) Intensifies his belief in Jakob's vision.
(d) Lets him see the past.
8. How does Jakob feel in Greece?
(a) A pariah.
(b) A prodigal son.
(c) Completely at home.
(d) At home and forever a stranger.
9. What causes Jakob to want to show Michaela the Aegean?
(a) Comparing the sea's color with her eyes.
(b) Seeing how she loves the land of her youth.
(c) Seeing gulls fly overhead on their way across the land.
(d) Her yearning to see the vast expanse of a sea.
10. What does Ben study carefully that is a bit disorienting?
(a) A labyrinthine in the garden.
(b) A intricate pattern on the den's wallpaper.
(c) A hand-drawn map.
(d) A dry-docked ship.
11. Of what is Jakob afraid concerning Michaela?
(a) Giving her too much of himself.
(b) Hurting her.
(c) Giving her too little of herself.
(d) Losing her.
12. What does Ben say the quest to recover someone's psyche is?
(a) A function of love.
(b) A voyoristic exercise.
(c) A futile act.
(d) A gift to those lost.
13. What does Ben find tucked into the roof of where he is staying?
(a) A book of burial locations.
(b) Jakob's private study.
(c) A map.
(d) A key.
14. Of what does being moral consist in the time of the Holocaust?
(a) The tiniest acts.
(b) Refusing to participate in evil.
(c) The knowledge of what is happening and changing.
(d) The greatest acts.
15. In what color can a Polish painter Jakob meets not paint?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jakob's home influence Jakob?
2. Who are Yoshi and Tomas?
3. What reminds Ben of his parents' shoes and mended clothing?
4. How does Jakob feel when he returns to Greece?
5. What does Ben picture about Jakob's journals?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)