|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What helps Ben understand his nightmares?
(a) Visiting Treblinka.
(b) Studying the Holocaust.
(c) His grandmother's letters.
(d) Reading Jakob Beer.
2. How does Jakob feel when he returns to Greece?
(c) As if he were home.
3. Of what does being moral consist in the time of the Holocaust?
(a) The knowledge of what is happening and changing.
(b) The greatest acts.
(c) The tiniest acts.
(d) Refusing to participate in evil.
4. What is significant of Salonika?
(a) It is where Jakob finds information about Bella.
(b) It is where Jews, Christians, and Muslims once lived in harmony.
(c) It is where Athos' ashes are strewn.
(d) It is where Jakob produces his greatest works of poetry.
5. Why does Jakob say Germans tried to dehumanize Jews?
(a) So they could receive approval of the world at large for their atrocities.
(b) So the Jews would believe the lies about themselves.
(c) To make it easier to murder them.
(d) To convince others that genocide was acceptable.
6. What does Ben picture about Jakob's journals?
(a) Why Jakob burns some of them.
(b) How Jakob was so faithful in recording in them every day.
(c) Where Jakob might have buried them.
(d) Where Jakob might have sat to write many of the journals.
7. What is the name of Jakob's work that shows Athos' influence?
(a) Down Below the Water.
(b) Away is the Night.
(c) High Cliffs.
8. What does Ben find tucked into the roof of where he is staying?
(a) A key.
(b) A book of burial locations.
(c) A map.
(d) Jakob's private study.
9. What does Ben's father do for a living?
(b) Train conductor.
(c) Music conductor.
10. What is "No Mortal Foe"?
(a) Jakob's third chapbook of poems.
(b) Ben's second book.
(c) A collection of essays by Jakob.
(d) A treatise on angels.
11. What does Jakob experience when he first wakes in Michaela's bed?
12. Where does Jakob look through Athos' library?
(a) He cannot locate Athos' library.
(b) In Roussos.
(c) At the home of a former Nazi.
(d) In the basement of the public library.
13. How does Jakob's home influence Jakob?
(a) It gives him a belief in the future.
(b) It gives him a feeling of safety to work.
(c) It gives him a feeling of belonging.
(d) It gives him the confidence to write Groundwork.
14. What does Naomi do to escape the heat and humidity?
(a) Takes a cold shower.
(b) Turns the thermostat down in the house.
(c) Turns the A/C on high in her car.
(d) Lies in the spring in the back of the house.
15. Of what is Michaela afraid after visiting a museum?
(a) At the size of people in centuries past.
(b) Her lands falling into other people's hands.
(c) Becoming mummified.
(d) Her culture dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can lightning to to clothing?
2. What does the rabbi say when passengers ask his forgiveness?
3. What is possible with recorded history?
4. What do Ben and Petra discover when they pull down the covers on Jakob's bed?
5. How did people study the nature of lightening up to the eighteenth century?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)