|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is possible with recorded history?
(a) It can be altered.
(b) It can be erased.
(c) It can be forgotten.
(d) It can be resurrected.
2. When are Ben's parents liberated from a concentration camp?
(a) His mother is pregnant with Ben when they are liberated.
(b) When he is two.
(c) Four years before his birth.
(d) Ten years before his birth.
3. What reminds Ben of his parents' shoes and mended clothing?
(a) A description in one of Jakob's journals.
(b) A jumble of sandals in Jakob's study.
(c) A picture of a medicant preacher.
(d) Two elderly Jews walking past in the street.
4. In what color can a Polish painter Jakob meets not paint?
5. Into what is despair transformed in the gas chambers?
6. Where does Jakob look through Athos' library?
(a) In the basement of the public library.
(b) At the home of a former Nazi.
(c) In Roussos.
(d) He cannot locate Athos' library.
7. What is Idhra like in late September?
(b) Full of tourists.
8. What is significant of Salonika?
(a) It is where Athos' ashes are strewn.
(b) It is where Jakob produces his greatest works of poetry.
(c) It is where Jakob finds information about Bella.
(d) It is where Jews, Christians, and Muslims once lived in harmony.
9. How does Ben react to the sight of the harbor at Idhra?
(a) He thinks it's cluttered but interesting.
(b) He is disappointed.
(c) He finds it exciting but unintelligible.
(d) He gasps.
10. What does Michaela do when Jakob tells her about Bella?
(a) Jakob does not tell Michaela about Bella.
(b) She does not give much response as she does not know what to say.
(c) Weeps for her.
(d) Tries to reassure Jakob that she is in a better place.
11. What does Ben imagine happening to Petra as a child?
(a) Being made to sit in the corner to dampen down her sensuality.
(b) Being frozen in a pose of beauty.
(c) Being imprinted by lightning.
(d) He cannot imagine her as a child.
12. Why can't Ben's father retire when he is of age?
(a) He is not a citizen.
(b) The official says his birth certificate is in error.
(c) His father retires with no problem.
(d) He has not worked enough years.
13. What does Idhra do for Jakob?
(a) Opens his memory.
(b) Liberates his heart.
(c) Liberates his mind.
(d) Plunges him into a deeper depression.
14. What does Michaela do for Ben?
(a) Softens his perceptions of Jakob's pain.
(b) Intensifies his belief in Jakob's vision.
(c) Lets him see the past.
(d) Lets him see the future.
15. What is one thing Ben dreads when young?
(a) Piano lessons.
(b) Hebrew lessons.
(c) Attending synagogue.
(d) Going to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what did Ben have nightmares?
2. What volume does Jakob select to read himself to sleep?
3. What does Ben's father do for a living?
4. What does Ben picture about Jakob's journals?
5. Where does Jakob image Bella being?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)