|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Ben arrive on Idhra?
(a) When a stifling air mass is becalmed over the area.
(b) At a time of refreshing winds.
(c) When the tide surges are higher than normal.
(d) In the middle of a serious typhoon.
2. What does Jakob experience when he first wakes in Michaela's bed?
3. What does Ben study carefully that is a bit disorienting?
(a) A hand-drawn map.
(b) A intricate pattern on the den's wallpaper.
(c) A dry-docked ship.
(d) A labyrinthine in the garden.
4. What does Ben picture about Jakob's journals?
(a) Where Jakob might have buried them.
(b) How Jakob was so faithful in recording in them every day.
(c) Why Jakob burns some of them.
(d) Where Jakob might have sat to write many of the journals.
5. What does Ben find tucked into the roof of where he is staying?
(a) A key.
(b) A map.
(c) Jakob's private study.
(d) A book of burial locations.
6. Of what is Jakob afraid concerning Michaela?
(a) Giving her too much of himself.
(b) Hurting her.
(c) Losing her.
(d) Giving her too little of herself.
7. What do Ben and Petra do inside of getting into the bed?
(a) Make love in the sunroom.
(b) Dress and go to dinner.
(c) Make love on the floor.
(d) Make love in the gardens.
8. In what color can a Polish painter Jakob meets not paint?
9. What is Zakynthos like?
(a) He cannot even find it.
(c) People he does not know live there.
(d) In ruins.
10. Who are Yoshi and Tomas?
(a) The Salmans' sons.
(b) Two vineyard workers.
(c) Two young scholars at the University.
(d) Jakob's young sons.
11. What volume does Jakob select to read himself to sleep?
(a) The Iliad.
(b) The Stranger.
12. How does Jakob's home influence Jakob?
(a) It gives him the confidence to write Groundwork.
(b) It gives him a belief in the future.
(c) It gives him a feeling of safety to work.
(d) It gives him a feeling of belonging.
13. About what does Maurice worry?
(a) That Ben will misinterpret Jakob's journals.
(b) That Maurice will have to work many hours with Ben.
(c) That Ben will not be persistent.
(d) That Jakob's journals are lost in the huge library.
14. Why can't Ben's father retire when he is of age?
(a) His father retires with no problem.
(b) He is not a citizen.
(c) He has not worked enough years.
(d) The official says his birth certificate is in error.
15. What does legend say the Manitoulins did?
(a) Exorcise every youth and some did not survive.
(b) Cut themselves with thousands of tiny cuts to exercise demons.
(c) Force roles upon each person.
(d) Burn down their island to exorcise a spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what have Ben and Naomi been fighting when they meet Jakob and Michaela?
2. What does Naomi do to escape the heat and humidity?
3. What does Ben imagine happening to Petra as a child?
4. What does Michaela do when Jakob tells her about Bella?
5. When does Ben first meet Jakob and Michaela?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)