|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jakob look through Athos' library?
(a) He cannot locate Athos' library.
(b) At the home of a former Nazi.
(c) In Roussos.
(d) In the basement of the public library.
2. Of what does the house remind Ben?
(a) Uninterrupted lives when Krakatoa erupted.
(b) Uninterrupted lives when Vesuvius erupted.
(c) Uninterrupted lives when an avalanche buried a Canadian town in the Rockies.
(d) Uninterrupted lives when the last tidal wave struck Japan when he was there.
3. In what color can a Polish painter Jakob meets not paint?
4. What time does the painted clock at Treblinka station always read?
(a) 12 o'clock.
(b) 9 o'clock.
(c) 1 o'clock.
(d) 3 o'clock.
5. What is the name of Jakob's work that shows Athos' influence?
(a) Down Below the Water.
(b) Away is the Night.
(c) High Cliffs.
6. What does Jakob experience when he first wakes in Michaela's bed?
7. What is possible with recorded history?
(a) It can be forgotten.
(b) It can be erased.
(c) It can be resurrected.
(d) It can be altered.
8. Who visits Ben before he is five?
(a) His maternal grandmother.
(b) A demon.
(c) An angel.
(d) Jakob Beer.
9. What does Jakob note about how Jews live?
(a) They live in an eternal past.
(b) They live in the twilight.
(c) They live in an eternal present.
(d) They live in the labyrinthine.
10. How does Jakob feel when he returns to Greece?
(b) As if he were home.
11. What is Zakynthos like?
(a) He cannot even find it.
(b) In ruins.
(d) People he does not know live there.
12. Why can't Ben's father retire when he is of age?
(a) He has not worked enough years.
(b) The official says his birth certificate is in error.
(c) His father retires with no problem.
(d) He is not a citizen.
13. How does Ben react to the sight of the harbor at Idhra?
(a) He finds it exciting but unintelligible.
(b) He is disappointed.
(c) He thinks it's cluttered but interesting.
(d) He gasps.
14. Who are Yoshi and Tomas?
(a) Two young scholars at the University.
(b) Two vineyard workers.
(c) The Salmans' sons.
(d) Jakob's young sons.
15. What does Michaela allow Jakob to do?
(a) Read her a poem of his.
(b) Touch her.
(c) Obtain her phone number.
(d) Go to her flat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what have Ben and Naomi been fighting when they meet Jakob and Michaela?
2. What causes Jakob to want to show Michaela the Aegean?
3. How does Jakob make a living?
4. What does Michaela do for Ben?
5. How does Jakob feel in Greece?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)