|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Idhra do for Jakob?
(a) Opens his memory.
(b) Liberates his heart.
(c) Plunges him into a deeper depression.
(d) Liberates his mind.
2. What does Ben study carefully that is a bit disorienting?
(a) A hand-drawn map.
(b) A intricate pattern on the den's wallpaper.
(c) A labyrinthine in the garden.
(d) A dry-docked ship.
3. What time does the painted clock at Treblinka station always read?
(a) 9 o'clock.
(b) 3 o'clock.
(c) 1 o'clock.
(d) 12 o'clock.
4. Of what is Michaela afraid after visiting a museum?
(a) Her culture dying.
(b) At the size of people in centuries past.
(c) Becoming mummified.
(d) Her lands falling into other people's hands.
5. What is possible with recorded history?
(a) It can be forgotten.
(b) It can be resurrected.
(c) It can be erased.
(d) It can be altered.
6. What is Bella doing in Jakob's imagination?
(b) Searching for him.
(c) Practicing her keyboard fingering.
(d) Trying to get out.
7. Why does Jakob say Germans tried to dehumanize Jews?
(a) So the Jews would believe the lies about themselves.
(b) So they could receive approval of the world at large for their atrocities.
(c) To make it easier to murder them.
(d) To convince others that genocide was acceptable.
8. What does Michaela allow Jakob to do?
(a) Read her a poem of his.
(b) Obtain her phone number.
(c) Touch her.
(d) Go to her flat.
9. When does Ben first meet Jakob and Michaela?
(a) Jakob's book signing.
(b) Irena's birthday party.
(c) Michaela's birthday party.
(d) A memorial service for Athos.
10. What does Naomi do to escape the heat and humidity?
(a) Turns the A/C on high in her car.
(b) Takes a cold shower.
(c) Lies in the spring in the back of the house.
(d) Turns the thermostat down in the house.
11. What does Ben picture about Jakob's journals?
(a) Why Jakob burns some of them.
(b) Where Jakob might have buried them.
(c) Where Jakob might have sat to write many of the journals.
(d) How Jakob was so faithful in recording in them every day.
12. What returns to Michaela when she speaks?
(a) Her mind.
(b) Her body.
(c) Her clarity.
(d) Her goodness.
13. When does Ben arrive on Idhra?
(a) At a time of refreshing winds.
(b) When a stifling air mass is becalmed over the area.
(c) When the tide surges are higher than normal.
(d) In the middle of a serious typhoon.
14. When are Ben's parents liberated from a concentration camp?
(a) His mother is pregnant with Ben when they are liberated.
(b) When he is two.
(c) Ten years before his birth.
(d) Four years before his birth.
15. What is significant of Salonika?
(a) It is where Athos' ashes are strewn.
(b) It is where Jews, Christians, and Muslims once lived in harmony.
(c) It is where Jakob produces his greatest works of poetry.
(d) It is where Jakob finds information about Bella.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ben's favorite poet?
2. What is one thing Ben dreads when young?
3. Of what does the house remind Ben?
4. What does making love with Petra do for Ben?
5. Upon what does Jakob sometimes lecture?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)