|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jakob say every moment is?
(a) Pain relived.
(b) Two moments.
(c) An opportunity.
(d) A chance.
2. What is Alex's father's occupation?
(c) Music conductor.
3. What do the Jews do when the Germans take over the occupation of the country from the Italians?
(a) Hide in the catacombs under the city.
(b) Hide in the hills.
(c) Pay Christians to hide them.
(d) Pay fishermen to take them to England.
4. Who is Maurice Salman?
(a) A man who survives the holocaust and lives in Greece.
(b) A friend Jakob makes at the University.
(c) Athos' contact in Europe.
(d) One of Jakob's professors.
5. What does Athos do because he senses he is running out of time?
(a) Contacts his family.
(b) Writes his book.
(c) Gets Jakob secure financially.
(d) Sends Jakob out more and more often to become self-sufficient.
6. What do the Greeks seem to have caught from the Germans?
(a) The virus of exclusion.
(b) War as a way of change.
(c) Death as a solution.
(d) The virus of violence.
7. What does Athos do for relaxation?
(c) Watches television.
8. What about marriage does Alex enjoy?
(a) The security.
(b) The respectability.
(d) The sex.
9. Of what is Athos the last?
(a) Those who can read a specialized Greek.
(b) A seafaring family.
(c) Those who can interpret a rare hieroglyphic alphabet.
(d) His siblings.
10. What does Athos teach Jakob to cook?
(a) Greek dishes.
(b) Blood pudding.
(c) A Jewish seder meal.
(d) Canadian traditional food.
11. With what does Athos help Jakob as far as the subtleties?
(d) Customs of the Canadians.
12. What does Jakob do in his writing about his childhood that protects him?
(a) He writes in the second person.
(b) He writes several stories at once.
(c) He writes in the third person.
(d) He writes in English.
13. Around which of Alex's friends does Jakob feel insecure?
(a) Her Marxist friends.
(b) Her intellectual friends.
(c) Her Zionist friends.
(d) Her Beat friends.
14. Where do Athos and Jakob take up residence in Toronto?
(a) Heathside Gardens Apartments.
(b) Men's homeless shelter.
(c) Athos' third cousin's home.
(d) The home of another professor.
15. With what composer was Bella once obsessed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kostas Mitsialis?
2. What does Athos insist that Jakob do?
3. What effect does hearing the old tongue have on Jakob?
4. What is the state of Greece during this time?
5. Who hunts down and kills anyone well off?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)