|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "Bearing False Witness"?
(a) A tribute to comrades lost at Biskupin.
(b) A new law that discriminates against minorities in Canada.
(c) A book Jakob is writing.
(d) A book Kostas just published.
2. Where does Jakob run?
(a) To the bog.
(b) Into the forest.
(c) To his grandparent's home.
(d) To his aunt and uncle's home.
3. Who is Helen?
(a) Jakob's one surviving aunt.
(b) Athos' deceased wife.
(c) Athos' deceased sister.
(d) A woman Jakob stays with for several months.
4. Where do Jakob and Alex meet?
(a) An ice cream social.
(b) An amusement park.
(c) A yacht race.
(d) A music library.
5. How old is Jakob when Athos takes him to Athens?
6. What does Athos do at the first sign of danger?
(a) Makes his way up the mountain to a cave.
(b) Sits in the chair shaking in terror.
(c) Climbs in the sea chest.
(d) Crawls under the bed.
7. Who is Kostas Mitsialis?
(a) An old colleague of Athos.
(b) The Polish consul.
(c) A Greek Orthodox priest.
(d) The mayor of Athens.
8. What stories does Jakob remember Bella telling?
(a) About a mouse in the house.
(b) About a devil.
(c) About an adventurer.
(d) About Brahms.
9. How many villages are decimated as the Nazis leave?
10. Around which of Alex's friends does Jakob feel insecure?
(a) Her Marxist friends.
(b) Her Zionist friends.
(c) Her intellectual friends.
(d) Her Beat friends.
11. Who is Maurice Salman?
(a) Athos' contact in Europe.
(b) One of Jakob's professors.
(c) A friend Jakob makes at the University.
(d) A man who survives the holocaust and lives in Greece.
12. About what does Jakob feel wrong?
(a) Being married to Alex and living in a foreign land.
(b) Writing about his sister when he does not know if she is alive.
(c) Writing about his sister when she was alive.
(d) Leaving Athos' corpse in Toronto.
13. What reminds Jakob of his mother and Bella?
(a) Daphne's goodbye squeeze.
(b) A guess from a young woman at the docks.
(c) Seeing all the Jewish woman coming out of the caves.
(d) Seeing all the Jewish woman coming down from the hills.
14. How long is it before the attraction between Jakob and Alex ends?
(a) Seven months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
15. What emerges from Jakob's mind at night?
(b) Visions of poetic symbolism.
(c) Dead family and friends.
(d) Visions of his place in the universe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jakob feel inside him?
2. Who deliberately smashes and reburies this site?
3. What does Jakob wonder if remembering does?
4. What does Athos say a good deed does?
5. What does Jakob say every moment is?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)