|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mones?
(a) Jakob's best friend.
(b) Another boy in the forest.
(c) Jakob's dog.
(d) A friend of Jakob's grandfather.
2. Where is Jakob's fifteen-year-old sister?
(a) With Jakob in the bog.
(b) In a boarding school.
(c) With Jakob in the cave.
(d) She is carried away by the Nazis.
3. What does Jacob see boys doing to produce squawks?
(a) Blowing homemade pipes.
(b) Blowing on leaves of grass.
(c) Blowing across bottle openings.
(d) Sliding their fingers on wires.
4. What often makes Athos feel depressed?
(a) Writing about those lost at Biskupin.
(b) Thinking about Helen.
(c) Feeling Jakob pull away from him.
(d) Seeing Jakob growing away from Jakob's heritage.
5. What does Athos say the sight of many birds is?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) A sign that the heavens are whispering advice.
(c) The sign of prayers comforting the dead.
(d) Good luck.
6. With what composer was Bella once obsessed?
7. Of what does Jakob live in constant fear?
(a) His father's ghost ordering his to wreck vengeance.
(b) His mother's ghost wandering.
(c) Hearing the door being kicked in.
(d) Athos making him leave.
8. What spoils the sex between Jakob and Alex?
(a) The close quarters in which they live.
(b) Their regular arguments.
(c) Jakob's nightmares.
(d) Alex's indifference.
9. What does Athos do because he senses he is running out of time?
(a) Sends Jakob out more and more often to become self-sufficient.
(b) Gets Jakob secure financially.
(c) Contacts his family.
(d) Writes his book.
10. What about Jakob does Alex have difficulty accepting?
(a) His halting English.
(b) His shyness.
(c) His obsession with Bella.
(d) His Jewish background.
11. What does Jakob sense one day?
(a) That Bella is nearby.
(b) That Bella has died.
(c) That someone is looking for him.
(d) That the evil in the area has left.
12. How does Jakob approach listening to composers?
(b) Studying everything about the composer before listening to his/her work.
(c) With just one ear covered by the headset.
13. Who deliberately smashes and reburies this site?
(a) The local government of the region.
(b) The international archeological consortium.
(c) The Nazis.
(d) The country's government.
14. How many villages are decimated as the Nazis leave?
15. What is Jakob to do when Alex leaves him?
(a) Return to Poland.
(b) Find a more suitable wife.
(c) Return to Greece.
(d) Not step outside the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jakob see ascending?
2. What does Athos do during the night?
3. How do Jakob and Athos improve Jakob's English?
4. What does Jakob do in his writing about his childhood that protects him?
5. To whom does Jakob write letters?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)