|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Athos say a good deed does?
(a) Erases ten bad deeds.
(b) Morally advances the dead.
(c) Starts a domino effect.
(d) Morally advances the doer.
2. How old is this site?
(a) 25 centuries.
(b) 10 centuries.
(c) 4,000 years.
(d) 2 centuries.
3. What does Athos insist that Jakob do?
(b) Keep up on his Greek.
(c) Write down what he remembers of his family.
(d) Keep up on his Hebrew.
4. Where do Athos and Jakob take up residence in Toronto?
(a) Men's homeless shelter.
(b) The home of another professor.
(c) Heathside Gardens Apartments.
(d) Athos' third cousin's home.
5. What does Jakob say every moment is?
(a) Two moments.
(b) An opportunity.
(c) A chance.
(d) Pain relived.
6. Who is Helen?
(a) Athos' deceased sister.
(b) Athos' deceased wife.
(c) Jakob's one surviving aunt.
(d) A woman Jakob stays with for several months.
7. Who is Kostas Mitsialis?
(a) An old colleague of Athos.
(b) A Greek Orthodox priest.
(c) The mayor of Athens.
(d) The Polish consul.
8. Of what does Jakob live in constant fear?
(a) His mother's ghost wandering.
(b) His father's ghost ordering his to wreck vengeance.
(c) Athos making him leave.
(d) Hearing the door being kicked in.
9. What does Jakob wonder about Holocaust survivors?
(a) If they feel guilty.
(b) If their dead haunt them the way Jakob's haunt him.
(c) How they feel surrounded by so much food.
(d) If they hate.
10. What do Athos' stories begin to do for Jakob?
(a) Make sense.
(b) Calm him.
(c) Change his way of thinking about what happens to his family.
(d) Helps him finish grieving.
11. What does Jacob see boys doing to produce squawks?
(a) Sliding their fingers on wires.
(b) Blowing homemade pipes.
(c) Blowing on leaves of grass.
(d) Blowing across bottle openings.
12. What does Athos say stones do?
(a) Roots one to their past.
(b) Hold human time.
(c) Give a sense of the importance of the moment.
(d) Give a sense of destiny.
13. Where does Jakob sit when Athos goes to town?
(a) By the window.
(b) On the widow's walk.
(c) Beside an old sea chest.
(d) In the cellar.
14. What about marriage does Alex enjoy?
(a) The sex.
(b) The security.
(c) The respectability.
15. How old is Jakob when Athos takes him to Athens?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athos say luck requires?
2. What often makes Athos feel depressed?
3. Who is Athos?
4. What does Jakob witness as he is hiding?
5. What does Athos do at the first sign of danger?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)