|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage did the winning party take the elections in Burma in 1990?
2. In Ma Than E's essay, which is NOT a habit that Suu Kyi's mother practiced at home?
3. In her interview with Dominic Falder on AsiaWeek in July 1989, what are Suu Kyi's observations about the Burmese people?
4. In her undated letter to the United Nations, what is Suu Kyi's hope for the United Nation's role in Burma?
5. Who does Suu Kyi ask to press about the human rights violations in Burma in her open letter dated September 26, 1988?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ma Than E write about Aung San Suu Kyi's return to Burma and the situation in the country at that time?
2. In her letter to the editor dated Rangoon, 14 April 1989, what does Suu Kyi write about the soldiers in Burma?
3. In Ma Than E's essay, what are her recollections about Aung San Suu Kyi' s childhood?
4. In an undated letter to the United Nations, what does Aung San Suu Kyi state as the policy of the National League for Democracy?
5. What was the conclusion of the Norwegian committee's decision when they awarded Aung San Suu Kyi the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991?
6. What were the implications of Suu Kyi discussing life expectancy in Burma in her speech on December 13, 1988?
7. What was the conclusion of Aung San Suu Kyi's written agreement to stand for election in May 1990?
8. In a speech delivered at a pagoda in Myitkyina, Kachin State on April 27, 1989, how does Suu Kyi respond to the knowledge that people are afraid?
9. In a speech delivered at a pagoda in Myitkyina, Kachin State on April 27, 1989, what advice does Suu Kyi give for parents?
10. What happened after Aung San Suu Kyi submitted her written agreement to stand for election in May 1990?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the impact of Aung San Suu Kyi's house arrest on the political situation in Burma by describing how different effects of her imprisonment work together to influence the state of political affairs. Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
An understanding of the past is necessary for solving the problems of the present. Explain what you think this statement means in the context of Freedom from Fear and Other Writings. Why does Suu Kyi present the history of Burma for a collection of essays about the current political situation? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three government systems described in Freedom from Fear and Other Writings, which are the imperialist government system, the military system and the system proposed by Aung San Suu Kyi. Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)