|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Suu Kyi conclude her letter to the editor dated January 21,1989?
2. According to Suu Kyi in her letter dated 14 April 1989, who is causing the Burmese people problems?
3. What was the Burmese government's initial approach toward Suu Kyi and her supporters mentioned in Josef Silverstein's essay?
4. According to Josef Silverstein, how did Aung San Suu Kyi become the spokesperson for a democratic movement in a matter of weeks?
5. In her interview with Dominic Falder on AsiaWeek in July 1989, what are Suu Kyi's observations about the Burmese people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Aung San Suu Kyi submitted her written agreement to stand for election in May 1990?
2. In Suu Kyi's letter to the editor dated Rangoon, 14 April 1989, what does she affirm about her cause?
3. In Ma Than E's essay, what are her recollections about Aung San Suu Kyi' s childhood?
4. In her letter to the editor dated Rangoon, 14 April 1989, what does Suu Kyi write about the soldiers in Burma?
5. In an undated letter to the United Nations, what does Aung San Suu Kyi state as the policy of the National League for Democracy?
6. According to Joseph Silverstein, what was the military government's initial approach to Aung San Suu Kyi?
7. In an interview with Dominic Falder on AsiaWeek in July 1989, what is Suu Kyi's response to the question what she thought would happen after the elections, if there were elections?
8. In Aung San Suu Kyi's open letter dated September 26, 1988, what does she consider a matter of "legitimate concern" for the international community?
9. How does Ann Pasternak Slater describe Aung San Suu Kyi?
10. In an interview with Dominic Falder on AsiaWeek in July 1989 what are Suu Kyi's observations about the Burmese people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli suggested that a ruler should behave both "like a lion" and "like a fox." Analyze the policies of Aung San Suu Kyi and the military regime. Does one or both policies fit the Machiavellian ideal? Cite examples from the book you your response.
Essay Topic 2
The value systems of those with access to power and of those far removed from such access cannot be the same. Explain what you think this statement means. Describe situations in Freedom from Fear and Other Writings in which this statement is applicable. Use examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
You can never separate the political system of a country from the way you conduct your daily life. Explain how this concept relates to the writings of Aung San Suu Kyi in Freedom from Fear and Other Writings. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)