|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ma Than E's essay, why did Suu Kyi leave London for Rangoon?
2. What did the Nobel Peace Prize committee conclude about Aung San Suu Kyi?
3. According to Suu Kyi, in her speech on December 3, 1988, would the life expectancy be of the Burmese people in a democracy?
4. In her letter to the editor dated 14 April 1989, what was the result of the difficulties that Suu Kyi encountered?
5. What was the Nobel Peace Prize committee's comments on the 1991 election in Burma?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Aung San Suu Kyi's open letter dated September 26, 1988, what does she consider a matter of "legitimate concern" for the international community?
2. What happened after Aung San Suu Kyi submitted her written agreement to stand for election in May 1990?
3. In an undated letter to the United Nations, what does Aung San Suu Kyi state as the policy of the National League for Democracy?
4. What is the parallel Suu Kyi draws between Burma's health and gaining democracy?
5. What were the implications of Suu Kyi discussing life expectancy in Burma in her speech on December 13, 1988?
6. How does Aung San Suy Kyi conclude her letter to the editor she wrote on January 21, 1989?
7. How does Ann Pasternak Slater describe Aung San Suu Kyi?
8. In an interview with Dominic Falder on AsiaWeek in July 1989, what is Suu Kyi's response to the question what she thought would happen after the elections, if there were elections?
9. What reasons did the Norwegian committee give when they awarded Aung San Suu Kyi the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991?
10. In Aung San Suu Kyi's letter to the editor she wrote on January 21, 1989, how does she describe her trip to Bassein on the Irrawaddy Delta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Buddhist tenets relate to Aung San Suu Kyi's political philosophy? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the three government systems described in Freedom from Fear and Other Writings, which are the imperialist government system, the military system and the system proposed by Aung San Suu Kyi. Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aung San Suu Kyi represent the incarnation of Burma's struggle for democracy? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)