|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the second reason why Suu Kyi submitted her papers for candidacy for the election in May 1990?
2. What was one of the reasons why Suu Kyi submitted her papers for candidacy for the election in May 1990?
3. In Josef Silverstein's essay, what does a shopkeeper say about comparing Suu Kyi to the government leaders after attending one of her rallies?
4. In a letter to the editor after the speech delivered at a pagoda in Myitkyina, Kachin State on April 27, 1989, what does Aung San Suu Kyi reveal?
5. In her speech delivered at a pagoda in Myitkyina, Kachin State on April 27, 1989, what does Suu Kyi stress to the ethnic groups in Burma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the conclusion of the Norwegian committee's decision when they awarded Aung San Suu Kyi the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991?
2. According to Joseph Silverstein, what was the military government's initial approach to Aung San Suu Kyi?
3. In an undated letter to the United Nations, what does Aung San Suu Kyi state as the policy of the National League for Democracy?
4. In a speech delivered at a pagoda in Myitkyina, Kachin State on April 27, 1989, what advice does Suu Kyi give for parents?
5. What was the conclusion of Aung San Suu Kyi's written agreement to stand for election in May 1990?
6. In Suu Kyi's letter to the editor dated Rangoon, 14 April 1989, what does she affirm about her cause?
7. What does Ma Than E write about Aung San Suu Kyi's return to Burma and the situation in the country at that time?
8. In Aung San Suu Kyi's open letter dated September 26, 1988, what does she consider a matter of "legitimate concern" for the international community?
9. How did Ann Pasternak Slater first meet Aung San Suu Kyi?
10. In her letter to the editor dated Rangoon, 14 April 1989, what does Suu Kyi write about the soldiers in Burma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aung San Suu Kyi states, "the struggle for democracy and human rights in Burma is a struggle for life and dignity. It is a struggle that encompasses our political, social and economic aspirations." Analyze the meaning of this quote and use examples from Freedom from Fear and Other Writings to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the three government systems described in Freedom from Fear and Other Writings, which are the imperialist government system, the military system and the system proposed by Aung San Suu Kyi. Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Suu Kyi's philosophy of government. How can these principles be applied to Burma? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)