|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Suu Kyi in her speech on December 3, 1988, for what do the people of Burma have a responsibility?
2. What does Suu Kyi describe in her letter to the editor dated January 21, 1989?
3. What was the next step the government took toward Suu Kyi according to Josef Silverstein?
4. Who escorts Suu Kyi to the event she describes in her letter to the editor dated January 21, 1989?
5. What did the Nobel Peace Prize committee determine about Suu Kyi when they selected her for the award?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons did the Norwegian committee give when they awarded Aung San Suu Kyi the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991?
2. What was the conclusion of the Norwegian committee's decision when they awarded Aung San Suu Kyi the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991?
3. What was Josef Silverstein's response to how Aung San Suu Kyi could become the spokesperson for a democratic movement in a matter of weeks?
4. According to Joseph Silverstein, what was the military government's initial approach to Aung San Suu Kyi?
5. In her letter to the editor dated Rangoon, 14 April 1989, what does Suu Kyi write about the soldiers in Burma?
6. In Ma Than E's essay, what are her recollections about Aung San Suu Kyi' s childhood?
7. In a speech delivered at a pagoda in Myitkyina, Kachin State on April 27, 1989, what advice does Suu Kyi give for parents?
8. What were the implications of Suu Kyi discussing life expectancy in Burma in her speech on December 13, 1988?
9. What happened after Aung San Suu Kyi submitted her written agreement to stand for election in May 1990?
10. How does Ann Pasternak Slater describe Aung San Suu Kyi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Suu Kyi's message traverse cultural, national and ideological borders? Cite examples in Freedom from Fear and Other Writings.
Essay Topic 2
How does the concept of family resonate in Burma? How does the concept of family relate to Suu Kyi personally and her political philosophy? How does this philosophy apply to the people of Burma as an extended family? Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the impact of Aung San Suu Kyi's house arrest on the political situation in Burma by describing how different effects of her imprisonment work together to influence the state of political affairs. Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)