|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is not a Burmese ethnic group?
2. What was Aung San's response to his fame in 1942?
(a) He vehemently rejected all of the attention placed on him.
(b) He thought it was his time to bask in the spotlight.
(c) He had not earned himself a place in the history of Burma.
(d) He had worked hard for the advancement of the Burmese people.
3. When did political thinking in Burma become increasingly organized?
(a) During the 1930s.
(b) During the 1980s
(c) During the early 1900s
(d) During the 1940s
4. What was the Burmese approach to life during British occupation?
(a) The Burmese continued their village way of life.
(b) The Burmese developed a feudal system.
(c) The Burmese developed a network of large towns.
(d) The Burmese wanted to industrialize and urbanize.
5. What was one of Aung San's fantasies as a child?
(a) He could ride a magic carpet to anywhere in the world.
(b) A monster would scare the British out of Burma.
(c) He would use magic to expel the British from Burma.
(d) He would become ruler of Burma.
6. When was Aung San assassinated?
(a) When Aung San Suu Kyi was sixteen years old.
(b) Before Aung San Suu Kyi was born.
(c) When Aung San Suu Kyi was ten years old.
(d) When Aung San Suu Kyi was two years old.
7. What comparison does Suu Kyi make to the ongoing national crisis in 1988?
(a) The peasant revolts that have occurred throughout history.
(b) The fallling of The Iron Curtain.
(c) The democratic movement in China.
(d) The second struggle for national independence.
8. What is the main river in Burma?
(a) The Buriganga.
(b) The Salween.
(c) The Yalu.
(d) The Irrawaddy.
9. How did the British attempt to pacify the Burmese people during their rule?
(a) By imposing curfews.
(b) By emphasizing differences among the ethnic groups.
(c) By turing their backs on the corruption of local Burmese administrators.
(d) Through intermarriage.
10. In "Belief in Burma's Future," what is Suu Kyi's conviction about the people's movement that has arisen during 1988?
(a) The people can no longer tolerate the restriction of free discussion and criticism.
(b) It is the people's desire to enjoy human rights.
(c) It is a spiritual movement.
(d) The people are promoting a two-party system.
11. According to Aung San Suu Kyi, what is part of the unceasing human endeavor to prove?
(a) "To prove that there is a compelling need for a closer relationship between politics and ethics at both the national and international levels."
(b) "To prove that the spirit of man can transcend the flaws of his own nature."
(c) "To prove It is the cumulative effect on their sustained effort and steady endurance which will change a nation."
(d) "To prove that the quintessential revolution is that of the spirit."
12. What is the instrument of oppression in totalitarian regimes?
13. What landmark is in the region of Burma where the disintegration of British rule was felt?
(a) The Bay of Bengal.
(d) Mount Popa
14. What did Party Chairman Ne Win, propose after a series of bloodshed and disturbances in 1988?
(a) He began to hold forums where citizens could voice their opinions.
(b) He proposed that a national referendum--a one-party or a multi-party system--be held.
(c) He proposed to arrest the instigators.
(d) He appointed a vice chair for representative government.
15. Which is NOT a cause of decay according to the Buddhists?
(a) Omission to repair that which had been damaged.
(b) The persistent occurence of bad practices.
(c) Disregard of the need for reasonable economy.
(d) Leadership of men without morality or learning.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Suu Kyi's interview with Karan Thapar in August 29, 1988, what does Suu Kyi reiterate about what her father said about the army?
2. According to Aung San, why did he encourage the Japanese invasion?
3. According to Aung San Suu Kyi, what corrupts individuals?
4. What happens to Suu Kyi's two letters addressed to Amnesty International?
5. How did British colonization occur in Burma?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)