|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Section 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does hope return in Burma?
(a) Because "human beings the world over need freedom and security."
(b) Because "the struggle for democracy and human rights in Burma is a struggle for life and dignity."
(c) Because "peace as a goal is an ideal which will not be contested by any government or nation."
(d) Because "fear is not the natural state of civilized man."
2. What does Suu Kyi find when she reaches her destination that she describes in her letter to the editor dated January 21, 1989?
(a) She is denied entry by the army.
(b) The streets are blocked off.
(c) There is graffitti with messages of support.
(d) The residents have lined the streets with flowers.
3. In Suu Kyi's speech on December 3, 1988, what are Suu Kyi's beliefs about democracy in Burma?
(a) Democracy can only exist in Burma in an adulterated form.
(b) Democracy is around the corner.
(c) Democracy is an illusive dream.
(d) Democracy is still possible.
4. What was the Burmese approach to life during British occupation?
(a) The Burmese continued their village way of life.
(b) The Burmese developed a network of large towns.
(c) The Burmese wanted to industrialize and urbanize.
(d) The Burmese developed a feudal system.
5. Which is NOT a cause of decay according to the Buddhists?
(a) Leadership of men without morality or learning.
(b) Disregard of the need for reasonable economy.
(c) Omission to repair that which had been damaged.
(d) The persistent occurence of bad practices.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Aung San Suu Kyi, what are the Burmese people eager to study?
2. According to Suu Kyi in her undated letter to the United Nations, for what offenses are political prisoners being held?
3. What was the Burmese government's initial approach toward Suu Kyi and her supporters mentioned in Josef Silverstein's essay?
4. In her undated letter to the United Nations, what is Suu Kyi's hope for the United Nation's role in Burma?
5. When does law and order gain intrinsic value?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)