|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Section 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her interview with Dominic Falder on AsiaWeek in July 1989, what are Suu Kyi's observations about the Burmese people?
(a) They have learned to be frightened.
(b) They have a rich heritage.
(c) They are a resilient group.
(d) They will be able to easily adjust to a democratic system.
2. How did the British attempt to pacify the Burmese people during their rule?
(a) By turing their backs on the corruption of local Burmese administrators.
(b) Through intermarriage.
(c) By emphasizing differences among the ethnic groups.
(d) By imposing curfews.
3. In Suu Kyi's speech on December 3, 1988, what does she say about democracy?
(a) Everyone should exercise their rights to develop a healthy government system.
(b) To harness the power of healthy government.
(c) Democracy is a gift one must nourish all of one's life.
(d) To remain active in their pursuit of a multi-party system.
4. According to Ann Pasternak Slater, what is one of Suu Kyi's talents?
(a) She has a beautiful singing voice.
(b) She is a talented artist.
(c) She is a fantastic swimmer.
(d) She is a seamstress.
5. Why was the disintegration of British rule felt more in this particular region of Burma?
(a) Because it was too remote.
(b) Because it was the center of British rule.
(c) There was a higher population density.
(d) Because the people in that region had overthrown outside rule in its past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who formed a new government after Aung San was assassinated?
2. Why were the Burmese people not ideal recipients of leftist literature during the 1930s?
3. Who published Aung San Suu Kyi's work that examines the themes in Burmese literature and political thought?
4. What did the Nobel Peace Prize committee determine about Suu Kyi when they selected her for the award?
5. What is NOT one of the four types of corruption identified by Aung San Suu Kyi?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)