|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Francie think about her father after so many disappointments?
2. What job does Francie give Prez?
3. What is the last piece of mail the family receives at their house?
4. Why does Mama need to quickly leave Auntie's house and return home?
5. Francie sees a photo of _______________ on Miss Lafayette's dresser.
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans has Mama made for the family?
2. What preparations does Francie make for helping Jesse after she returns from visiting Auntie?
3. Why is Francie's mother worried about Francie's taking food to Jesse?
4. What impact has Francie's father's not arriving had on the family?
5. Why is Francie disheartened when she sees Alberta again?
6. What has Mama brought home from Green's for herself, Francie, and Prez?
7. What advice does Miss Lafayette give Francie about helping Jesse?
8. Why does Clarissa run the risk of bringing Prez and Perry home?
9. What arrives in the mail that lets Francie know that Jesse has made it to California?
10. What are the stresses that Francie's mother is experiencing now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of black women in the American South in the mid-20th century. What precedents did these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 19th century women did not have? How were their lives significantly more difficult than the lives of their mothers and grandmothers?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply FRANCIE. What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Jesse. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)