|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jesse accused of hurting?
2. Where does Clarissa Montgomery find Prez and Perry hiding?
3. Where does Francie make Jesse hide?
4. What does Mama chastise Francie for saying?
5. What does Mama bring home one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Francie run away from her job at Miss Rivers' home and what does she tell her mother about it?
2. What advice does Miss Lafayette give Francie about helping Jesse?
3. What impact has Francie's father's not arriving had on the family?
4. What does Jesse tell Francie about what happened with Mr. Bellamy and why he is in trouble?
5. When does Francie become sure that Jesse is hiding in the woods?
6. Why is Francie's mother worried about Francie's taking food to Jesse?
7. Explain Mama's characteristics that allow her to take charge and create a new life for her family in spite of all the obstacles in her way.
8. Where does Jesse say he is headed? What does Francie do to try to protect him for the night?
9. What does Francie see the Bascombs doing as she sneaks through the woods?
10. What does Mama's comment to Miss Beach about September foreshadow for the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Clarissa. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Clarissa's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in FRANCIE. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)