|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Prez and Perry home?
2. Francie can tell that Jesse is in the area because the watermelon is missing from the creek and _______________.
3. What do the sheriff and the deputy help themselves to in Francie's house?
4. What job does Francie give Prez?
5. What does Mama chastise Francie for saying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Miss Lafayette give Francie about helping Jesse?
2. What makes Francie run away from her job at Miss Rivers' home and what does she tell her mother about it?
3. What impact could Francie's protection of Jesse have for the whole neighborhood?
4. In what ways do the sheriff and deputy show disrespect to Francie and her family?
5. Why does Clarissa Montgomery drive to Francine's house on the night the men and the dogs are searching for Jesse?
6. What are the stresses that Francie's mother is experiencing now?
7. What plans has Mama made for the family?
8. What has Mama brought home from Green's for herself, Francie, and Prez?
9. What does Mama's comment to Miss Beach about September foreshadow for the family?
10. What impact has Francie's father's not arriving had on the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of black women in the American South in the mid-20th century. What precedents did these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 19th century women did not have? How were their lives significantly more difficult than the lives of their mothers and grandmothers?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Karen English's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)