|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of man does Francie NOT want to marry?
2. What does Francie want to get to Jesse?
3. What can Francie see of Jesse when he hides in her house?
4. Miss Beach asks Mama if she can work for two weeks in the ____________________.
5. What do Prez and Perry collect in a jar?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways do the sheriff and deputy show disrespect to Francie and her family?
2. Explain Mama's characteristics that allow her to take charge and create a new life for her family in spite of all the obstacles in her way.
3. What impact has Francie's father's not arriving had on the family?
4. What plans has Mama made for the family?
5. Why is Francie disheartened when she sees Alberta again?
6. What impact could Francie's protection of Jesse have for the whole neighborhood?
7. Why does Clarissa run the risk of bringing Prez and Perry home?
8. Why is Francie's mother worried about Francie's taking food to Jesse?
9. What does Mama's comment to Miss Beach about September foreshadow for the family?
10. What is the content of Daddy's letter? How does the family react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Francie. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the rampant racial bigotry in the South in the mid-1950s. What were some of the spoken and unspoken rules of behavior that people like Francie and her family had to endure? How did bigotry ruin families and communities? What are some of the scars--physical and emotional--resulting from racial prejudice during this period?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Karen English's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)