|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Prez and Perry home?
2. Where are Mama and her children moving?
3. Miss Lafayette tells Francie that Francie and her family could get in trouble for ____________________.
4. Francie hears Mabel say that she had been frightened by _______________________.
5. What is the name of Francie's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the stresses that Francie's mother is experiencing now?
2. Why does Clarissa Montgomery drive to Francine's house on the night the men and the dogs are searching for Jesse?
3. What preparations does Francie make for helping Jesse after she returns from visiting Auntie?
4. What stresses does Francie experience? Why are they particularly trying for a young girl?
5. What makes Francie run away from her job at Miss Rivers' home and what does she tell her mother about it?
6. When does Francie become sure that Jesse is hiding in the woods?
7. What impact has Francie's father's not arriving had on the family?
8. What does Jesse tell Francie about what happened with Mr. Bellamy and why he is in trouble?
9. Explain Mama's characteristics that allow her to take charge and create a new life for her family in spite of all the obstacles in her way.
10. What advice does Miss Lafayette give Francie about helping Jesse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Francie learns from Mama? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Francie always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Alberta. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Alberta's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Clarissa. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Clarissa's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)