|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Francie and her mother work for ______________, a school teacher.
2. What is at the top of the list of chores that Mama has for Francie?
3. Where does Francie put food so Jesse will find it?
4. Why does Mama order Francie to retrieve the empty jars before morning?
5. What does Francie want to get to Jesse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of Daddy's letter? How does the family react to it?
2. Who is Mr. Early? Why is he so intent on capturing Jesse?
3. What stresses does Francie experience? Why are they particularly trying for a young girl?
4. What preparations does Francie make for helping Jesse after she returns from visiting Auntie?
5. What does Mama's comment to Miss Beach about September foreshadow for the family?
6. Why is Francie disheartened when she sees Alberta again?
7. When does Francie become sure that Jesse is hiding in the woods?
8. How do Francie and Prez get food to Jesse in the woods?
9. What has Mama brought home from Green's for herself, Francie, and Prez?
10. What does Jesse tell Francie about what happened with Mr. Bellamy and why he is in trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Karen English's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Francie learns from Jesse? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Francie always recall about Jesse? How was she able to reach out to him that summer?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in FRANCIE. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)