|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last piece of mail the family receives at their house?
2. Which of the following is NOT something that depresses Francie at the moment?
3. What writing is on the label of Mama's jars?
4. What does Francie give to Prez to hide in the woods?
5. What is in the box that Mama has brought home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Francie see the Bascombs doing as she sneaks through the woods?
2. How do Francie and Prez get food to Jesse in the woods?
3. What plans has Mama made for the family?
4. Why is Francie disheartened when she sees Alberta again?
5. Why is Francie's mother worried about Francie's taking food to Jesse?
6. What does Jesse tell Francie about what happened with Mr. Bellamy and why he is in trouble?
7. Why does Clarissa run the risk of bringing Prez and Perry home?
8. What impact could Francie's protection of Jesse have for the whole neighborhood?
9. Who is Mr. Early? Why is he so intent on capturing Jesse?
10. What advice does Miss Lafayette give Francie about helping Jesse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Miss Lafayette. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Miss Lafayette's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Francie learns from Mama? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Francie always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of racial prejudice. Identify at least two instances about prejudice in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)