|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Beach accuse Francie of stealing?
(a) Half a can of smoked salmon.
(b) Some pieces of taffy.
(c) A pumpkin pie.
(d) A bag of apples.
2. Mama does not punish Francie for _______________________.
(a) Spilling the milk.
(b) Calling her Daddy.
(c) Skipping school.
(d) Helping Jesse.
3. What does Francie want to get to Jesse?
(a) Food and a coat.
(b) Food and shoes.
(c) Money and shoes.
(d) Food and money.
4. What does Francie give to Prez to hide in the woods?
(a) A sack of food.
(b) A gun.
(c) A map.
(d) An envelope of money.
5. How will the family travel to Chicago?
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Francie give to Jesse when he comes to her house?
2. What is at the top of the list of chores that Mama has for Francie?
3. What does Mama chastise Francie for saying?
4. Why does Francie suddenly leave work at the school teacher's home?
5. Where do Francie and Prez find empty packing boxes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jesse tell Francie about what happened with Mr. Bellamy and why he is in trouble?
2. Why does Clarissa run the risk of bringing Prez and Perry home?
3. In what ways do the sheriff and deputy show disrespect to Francie and her family?
4. What preparations does Francie make for helping Jesse after she returns from visiting Auntie?
5. What advice does Miss Lafayette give Francie about helping Jesse?
6. When does Francie become sure that Jesse is hiding in the woods?
7. What makes Francie run away from her job at Miss Rivers' home and what does she tell her mother about it?
8. What does Mama's comment to Miss Beach about September foreshadow for the family?
9. Who is Mr. Early? Why is he so intent on capturing Jesse?
10. Explain Mama's characteristics that allow her to take charge and create a new life for her family in spite of all the obstacles in her way.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)