|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Francie suddenly leave work at the school teacher's home?
(a) She is afraid Jesse will be caught during a shed search.
(b) She has food poisoning.
(c) She hears gunshots in the direction of their house.
(d) She hears the whistle of Daddy's train coming.
2. Francie can tell that Jesse is in the area because the watermelon is missing from the creek and _______________.
(a) There are candy wrappers on the ground.
(b) She sees Jesse's good luck charm.
(c) She finds a sock.
(d) There are signs of a campfire.
3. What is Mama doing in anticipation of Daddy's arrival?
(a) Cleaning the house.
(b) Ironing her dress.
(c) Baking a cake.
(d) Arranging flowers.
4. What does Francie tell Miss Lafayette when she sees her at the boardinghouse?
(a) She would like some books to read over the Summer.
(b) Her Daddy did not arrive.
(c) Her mother has been feeling ill lately.
(d) She is ready to start the new school year.
5. What do the sheriff and his deputy ask Francie and the other children?
(a) When they last saw Miss Lafayette.
(b) If Francie's father has returned yet.
(c) If they saw a red pickup truck.
(d) If they have seen Jesse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last piece of mail the family receives at their house?
2. Where does Jess tell Francie he is going to catch a freight to California?
3. What is at the top of the list of chores that Mama has for Francie?
4. Where do Francie and Prez find empty packing boxes?
5. When does Daddy's letter say that he thinks he can bring his family to Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of Daddy's letter? How does the family react to it?
2. What has Mama brought home from Green's for herself, Francie, and Prez?
3. Why is Francie's mother worried about Francie's taking food to Jesse?
4. What stresses does Francie experience? Why are they particularly trying for a young girl?
5. How do Francie and Prez get food to Jesse in the woods?
6. What impact has Francie's father's not arriving had on the family?
7. What does Jesse tell Francie about what happened with Mr. Bellamy and why he is in trouble?
8. What preparations does Francie make for helping Jesse after she returns from visiting Auntie?
9. When does Francie become sure that Jesse is hiding in the woods?
10. Where does Jesse say he is headed? What does Francie do to try to protect him for the night?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)