|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Francie suddenly leave work at the school teacher's home?
(a) She hears gunshots in the direction of their house.
(b) She hears the whistle of Daddy's train coming.
(c) She is afraid Jesse will be caught during a shed search.
(d) She has food poisoning.
2. When does Daddy's letter say that he thinks he can bring his family to Chicago?
(a) The spring.
(b) The winter.
(c) The summer.
(d) The fall.
3. What does Mama chastise Francie for saying?
(a) Jesse should be in California by now.
(b) Her father has re-married.
(c) They won't be moving to Chicago.
(d) Her mother doesn't like Miss Beach.
4. What does Miss Beach accuse Francie of stealing?
(a) A bag of apples.
(b) Some pieces of taffy.
(c) Half a can of smoked salmon.
(d) A pumpkin pie.
5. Who will store the family's possessions when they leave?
6. What do Billy and Jack threaten to do to Prez and Perry?
(a) Throw them in the pond.
(b) Take them to jail.
(c) Shave their heads.
(d) Send the dogs after them.
7. What is at the top of the list of chores that Mama has for Francie?
(a) Hang out the laundry.
(b) Retrieve the glass jars.
(c) Wash the dishes.
(d) Sweep the kitchen.
8. Mama tells Francie she wishes for _________.
(a) A car.
(b) A hot bubble bath.
(c) A massage.
(d) A Sunday off.
9. Where are Mama and her children moving?
(c) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
10. Francie and her mother work for ______________, a school teacher.
(a) Miss Rayburn.
(b) Miss Rikers.
(c) Miss Reginald.
(d) Miss Rivers.
11. What does Prez tell Miss Mabel when he sees her?
(a) He is promoted to the next grade.
(b) Their family is moving.
(c) The family is going on vacation.
(d) He is on the Little League team.
12. What is the last name of Billy and Jack?
13. Miss Beach asks Mama if she can work for two weeks in the ____________________.
(b) Sewing room.
14. Who/what is waiting for Mama and Francie when they return home?
(a) The sheriff.
(c) A letter.
15. Jesse is being accused of hurting ________________ farm hand.
(a) Mr. Voiles'.
(b) Mr. Bascomb's.
(c) Mr. Early's.
(d) Mr. Givens'.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Francie's dog?
2. What is the name of the road where the family has lived?
3. What does Mama throw away when she returns home?
4. Why does Mama order Francie to retrieve the empty jars before morning?
5. What is Mama doing in anticipation of Daddy's arrival?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)