|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Francie put food so Jesse will find it?
(a) The train station.
(b) The abandoned mine.
(c) The woods.
(d) The creek.
2. What does Francie reply when the Sheriff asks her what is wrong?
(a) No one has heard from her father for weeks.
(b) Mama has come down with the flu.
(c) Her aunt is not recovering from her baby's delivery.
(d) Her dog got torn up by a bloodhound last night.
3. What is the name of the town where Francie lives?
4. What does Mama give to Francie and Prez?
(a) New clothing.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) A radio.
(d) New books.
5. Who is the maid at the Rivers' home?
6. What is Mama doing in anticipation of Daddy's arrival?
(a) Baking a cake.
(b) Cleaning the house.
(c) Arranging flowers.
(d) Ironing her dress.
7. What did Jesse take from Mr. Bellamy's farm?
(b) A chicken.
8. What does Prez tell Miss Mabel when he sees her?
(a) He is promoted to the next grade.
(b) He is on the Little League team.
(c) Their family is moving.
(d) The family is going on vacation.
9. Where does the family chill a watermelon?
(a) The creek.
(b) The icebox.
(c) The ice house.
(d) A cave.
10. Who is Jesse accused of hurting?
(a) Mr. Bowen.
(b) Mr. Bryson.
(c) Mr. Billings.
(d) Mr. Bellamy.
11. Why does Mama order Francie to retrieve the empty jars before morning?
(a) So they can re-fill them for Jesse.
(b) So the family won't get in trouble.
(c) So she can use them for canning tomorrow.
(d) So no one will step on them and get cut.
12. Why is Francie angry at Jesse?
(a) For betraying her trust.
(b) For hurting someone.
(c) For running away.
(d) For not saying thanks or goodbye.
13. What does Miss Beach accuse Francie of stealing?
(a) A bag of apples.
(b) Half a can of smoked salmon.
(c) Some pieces of taffy.
(d) A pumpkin pie.
14. What can Francie see of Jesse when he hides in her house?
(a) His hair.
(b) His leg.
(c) His feet.
(d) His eyes.
15. Francie can tell that Jesse is in the area because the watermelon is missing from the creek and _______________.
(a) She sees Jesse's good luck charm.
(b) There are candy wrappers on the ground.
(c) There are signs of a campfire.
(d) She finds a sock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clarissa Montgomery find Prez and Perry hiding?
2. What do Billy and Jack threaten to do to Prez and Perry?
3. How does Francie know that Jesse has eaten the food she left?
4. How will the family travel to Chicago?
5. Why is Mama's pantry not as full as she remembered?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)