|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Daddy's letter say that he thinks he can bring his family to Chicago?
(a) The fall.
(b) The winter.
(c) The summer.
(d) The spring.
2. Why does Mama order Francie to retrieve the empty jars before morning?
(a) So no one will step on them and get cut.
(b) So the family won't get in trouble.
(c) So they can re-fill them for Jesse.
(d) So she can use them for canning tomorrow.
3. What writing is on the label of Mama's jars?
(a) Made with love.
(b) Lil's Kitchen.
(c) Property of Lil.
(d) Big Mama's Kitchen.
4. What does Francie tell Miss Lafayette when she sees her at the boardinghouse?
(a) She would like some books to read over the Summer.
(b) She is ready to start the new school year.
(c) Her Daddy did not arrive.
(d) Her mother has been feeling ill lately.
5. What do Prez and Perry say they did with the jars?
(a) Buried them.
(b) Threw them in the creek.
(c) Smashed them.
(d) Sold them.
6. What does the sheriff or deputy do that shows disrespect toward the black people?
(a) He pulls some flowers out of the ground.
(b) He slaps a little boy.
(c) He spits on the property.
(d) He drives on the grass.
7. What does Perry invite Prez to join him in doing?
(a) Making ice cream.
(b) Hopping a train.
(c) Going fishing.
(d) Going to the movies.
8. How much does Francie receive for the extra work she has done at the Rivers' house?
(a) One dollar.
(b) A dime.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) Twenty-five cents.
9. Which of the following do Mama and Francie NOT hear after returning home?
(a) Yelping dogs.
(b) Men talking.
(c) A gunshot.
(d) Car engines.
10. Who brings Prez and Perry home?
11. What is in the box that Mama has brought home?
(a) A pink hat.
(b) A watch.
(c) A new dress.
(d) New cookware.
12. Why does Mama need to quickly leave Auntie's house and return home?
(a) She has a cake in the oven.
(b) Company is coming soon.
(c) In case Prez and Perry are there.
(d) Her favorite television program is on.
13. What food does Francie give to Jesse when he comes to her house?
14. How does Francie know that Jesse has eaten the food she left?
(a) The wrappers are in the trash.
(b) Prez saw him eating.
(c) He left her a note.
(d) The jars are empty.
15. Where does Jess tell Francie he is going to catch a freight to California?
(d) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who/what is waiting for Mama and Francie when they return home?
2. What is at the top of the list of chores that Mama has for Francie?
3. What does Mama bring home one day?
4. What does Francie reply when the Sheriff asks her what is wrong?
5. Who will store the family's possessions when they leave?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)