|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe Jesse when he appears at Francie's house?
2. Who will Juniper stay with when the family leaves?
(a) Miss Beach.
(d) Miss Lafayette.
3. Which of the following do Mama and Francie NOT hear after returning home?
(a) Men talking.
(b) Yelping dogs.
(c) Car engines.
(d) A gunshot.
4. What does Mama bring home one day?
(a) A big box.
(b) A pink hat.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A bicycle.
5. What is Mama doing in anticipation of Daddy's arrival?
(a) Arranging flowers.
(b) Ironing her dress.
(c) Baking a cake.
(d) Cleaning the house.
6. What do the sheriff and his deputy ask Francie and the other children?
(a) If they have seen Jesse.
(b) If Francie's father has returned yet.
(c) When they last saw Miss Lafayette.
(d) If they saw a red pickup truck.
7. What does the sheriff or deputy do that shows disrespect toward the black people?
(a) He slaps a little boy.
(b) He pulls some flowers out of the ground.
(c) He spits on the property.
(d) He drives on the grass.
8. What type of man does Francie NOT want to marry?
(a) A plumber.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A railroad man.
(d) A butcher.
9. Why does Mama order Francie to retrieve the empty jars before morning?
(a) So no one will step on them and get cut.
(b) So they can re-fill them for Jesse.
(c) So she can use them for canning tomorrow.
(d) So the family won't get in trouble.
10. What does Mama chastise Francie for saying?
(a) Her mother doesn't like Miss Beach.
(b) They won't be moving to Chicago.
(c) Her father has re-married.
(d) Jesse should be in California by now.
11. What does Francie reply when the Sheriff asks her what is wrong?
(a) Her aunt is not recovering from her baby's delivery.
(b) No one has heard from her father for weeks.
(c) Mama has come down with the flu.
(d) Her dog got torn up by a bloodhound last night.
12. Where does Clarissa Montgomery find Prez and Perry hiding?
(a) The gardening shed.
(b) The park.
(c) The gazebo in her yard.
(d) The church parking lot.
13. What do Prez and Perry collect in a jar?
14. What does Francie tell Miss Lafayette when she sees her at the boardinghouse?
(a) Her mother has been feeling ill lately.
(b) She would like some books to read over the Summer.
(c) Her Daddy did not arrive.
(d) She is ready to start the new school year.
15. Why is Mama's pantry not as full as she remembered?
(a) Francie's appetite is causing her to eat more.
(b) Granny has not replaced what she borrowed.
(c) Francie is giving food to Jesse.
(d) She had used more for the holiday meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Daddy's letter say that he thinks he can bring his family to Chicago?
2. How will the family travel to Chicago?
3. Francie and her mother work for ______________, a school teacher.
4. Francie can tell that Jesse is in the area because the watermelon is missing from the creek and _______________.
5. What is the last piece of mail the family receives at their house?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)