|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Lewis' predecessor relieved of duty?
2. Why is Lewis's platoon given vehicular transportation to Marble Mountain?
3. What war is America fighting in 1967?
4. Who is Staff Sergeant Brown?
5. What painful treatment must Lewis endure to prepare his leg for surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lewis's family react to his deployment to Vietnam?
2. Why is Lewis's predecessor in Vietnam relieved of duty?
3. How does Lewis's college life contrast with his experiences in Officer Candidate School?
4. How does a local village take advantage of Lewis and his officers in Chapter 3?
5. How does the Tet offensive affect the Vietnam War?
6. How does Lewis's move to an apartment affect his recovery?
7. How does Lewis lose his legs?
8. How does Chesty's fame and position affect Lewis's experiences at Officer Candidate School?
9. What causes Lewis to see his father as a fallible human being?
10. What is Captain Thanh's view of Lewis's presence in Vietnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What expectations does Chesty have of Lewis? How does Chesty attempt to instill his values in his son? Does Lewis live up to his father's expectations?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lewis prepare for the transition to civilian life? What hopes does he have for his future? What factors influence his decision to go to law school and why does he decide to delay his entry? How does Lewis learn to cope with the difficulties he encounters in the civilian world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lewis's battle to learn to walk again with the use of prosthetic legs. What challenges does he face due to his injuries? How does the ability to stand affect Lewis's perception of himself as a man? Why does Lewis decide to eventually forego prosthetics and remain confined to a wheelchair?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)