|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Lewis' predecessor relieved of duty?
2. In Chapter 4, what alerts snipers to the platoon's position during their third patrol rotation?
3. What is the name of Lewis's twin sister?
4. Who is the first visitor to see Lewis after his injury?
5. Who is Corporal Turner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lewis wait a day before assuming command of his troops?
2. How does Toddy's pregnancy affect Lewis's life?
3. How does Lewis's move to an apartment affect his recovery?
4. Describe Dr. Cabot's treatment of Lewis.
5. What is Captain Thanh's view of Lewis's presence in Vietnam?
6. How does the experience of combat affect Lewis' relationship with his father?
7. What does Lewis prevent his men from doing to an enemy corpse in Chapter 3?
8. What causes Lewis to see his father as a fallible human being?
9. How does the Tet offensive affect the Vietnam War?
10. How does Chesty's career influence young Lewis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the hope that Lewpy's birth gives Lewis. What motivation does Lewis have being a father? What emotional, psychological, and physical changes does Lewis experience after the birth of this son? How could a newborn infant motivate a grown man to succeed?
Essay Topic 2
What expectations does Chesty have of Lewis? How does Chesty attempt to instill his values in his son? Does Lewis live up to his father's expectations?
Essay Topic 3
What sacrifices does Lewis make in the Vietnam War? What factors influence the difficult decisions he makes before and leading up to his injury? How do others perceive his service in Vietnam and how do their perceptions affect Lewis's character?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)