|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lewis's father?
2. Why was Lewis' predecessor relieved of duty?
3. Why is Lewis's platoon given vehicular transportation to Marble Mountain?
4. Who is Staff Sergeant Brown?
5. Whose wedding does Lewis attend in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis prevent his men from doing to an enemy corpse in Chapter 3?
2. Describe Paul Barents.
3. What opinion does Chesty have about the Marine Corps' training methods?
4. What does Lewis allow his men to do to an enemy corpse in Chapter 4?
5. How does the Tet offensive affect the Vietnam War?
6. How does Chesty's fame and position affect Lewis's experiences at Officer Candidate School?
7. What lessons does Lewis learn from his father as a young boy?
8. How does Lewis's college life contrast with his experiences in Officer Candidate School?
9. Why is Lewis's predecessor in Vietnam relieved of duty?
10. Why does Lewis resume a former bad habit in Vietnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events and people that inspire and prepare Lewis to enter the political arena. How does his work on the clemency board and with the Paralyzed Veterans of America prepare Lewis to enter the race? How does his hatred of Paul Trible fuel his desire to run for Congress? What does Lewis hope to achieve in Congress?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Toddy's influence on Lewis's life. How does her first pregnancy affect his character? What support does she offer during each phase of his life? How might Lewis's life have been different if he had decided to divorce Toddy shortly after his injury?
Essay Topic 3
How does Lewis cope with the loss of the election? What sequence of events does his loss trigger? How does Lewis eventually recover from the negative effects of these events?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)