|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Toddy plan to live while Lewis is fighting in the war?
2. What are stubbies?
3. What regret does Lewis have about his first mission in the DMZ?
4. What news does Toddy give Lewis in Chapter 2?
5. What does the platoon discover one morning after camping on the sides of two hills in a V-shaped draw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Lewis to see his father as a fallible human being?
2. Describe Paul Barents.
3. How does Lewis suffer as a young boy due to his father's fame and position?
4. How does Lewis prepare for entry into military life?
5. What opinion does Chesty have about the Marine Corps' training methods?
6. How does Lewpy's birth affect Lewis?
7. How does Lewis's family react to his deployment to Vietnam?
8. What lessons does Lewis learn from his father as a young boy?
9. How does Lewis lose his legs?
10. How does the experience of combat affect Lewis' relationship with his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What drives Lewis? From where does he get his dogged determination to succeed? Describe how Lewis copes with failure when his plans and goals are interrupted.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis's life before and after the war. How do Lewis's perceptions about politics, the military, the purpose of life and other personal philosophies change from his college years through the war? How do these perceptions change after his injury?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paul Barent's influence on Lewis's life. How does his presence affect Lewis's recovery? What support does he offer during and after his stay in the hospital? How might Lewis's life have been different if Paul had not been Lewis's roommate?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)