|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Lewis receive from Virginia in Chapter 6?
(a) She is expecting another baby.
(b) Chester died of a heart attack.
(c) Her husband died in Laos.
(d) His father had another stroke.
2. How does the general public react to the return of the Vietnam Veterans in 1970?
(a) Americans welcome home the veterans with parades.
(b) The veterans are reviled by most people in America.
(c) The veterans are pitied by most Americans.
(d) No one greets the veterans when they arrive home.
3. What technological advance does Lewis's second pair of artificial legs contain?
(a) Tension rods.
(b) Spring loaded ankles.
(c) Hydraulic knees.
(d) Adjustable cups and attachment straps.
4. Who is Lt. Bill Smithers?
(a) The doctor in charge of Lewis' hand surgery.
(b) Lewis' firstborn son.
(c) The hospital corpsman who encourages and assists Lewis.
(d) Commander Shaughnessey's replacement.
5. What does Lewis decide to do in January of 1978?
(a) Become a part of Tom Downing's cabinet.
(b) Run for Charles S. Robb's seat in Congress.
(c) Run for Paul Trible's seat in Congress.
(d) Run for lieutenant governor of Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Sandzen decide to graft the two digits?
2. Why is Lt. Calley on trial in Chapter 7?
3. Who is Dennis Lieberson?
4. In what state is Lewis running for office?
5. Where does Lewis work in 1975?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toddy help Lewis cope with the loss of the election?
2. Why does Lewis begin to lose faith in America's leaders?
3. How does Chesty's death affect Lewis?
4. Why are Lewis's friends surprised by his choice of actions after the election?
5. How does President Ford provide Lewis with a purpose?
6. How does Lewis's drinking affect his work and family life?
7. What is in the letter Dr. Sandzen shows Lewis?
8. What problems does Lewis encounter with local newspapers during his election campaign?
9. How does collegiate life affect Lewis' view of the Marine Corps?
10. How does Lewis's work with the Paralyzed Veterans of America affect his motivation?
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)