|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does Lewis desire in the military?
(a) Combat platoon leader.
(b) Combat engineer.
(c) Judge Advocate.
(d) Artillery officer.
2. Who is Lieutenant Doan?
(a) The platoon translator.
(b) Captain Thanh's replacement.
(c) A Veitcong spy.
(d) A Vietnamese government official who greets the platoon.
3. Why is Corporal Hitch assigned to Lewis' platoon?
(a) Lewis is "green" and could use his help.
(b) He admires Chesty Puller.
(c) He is being punished with combat duty.
(d) He requested Lewis' platoon.
4. Which famous actor's stepson also graduates at Lewis' commissioning ceremony?
(a) Clark Gable.
(b) Jimmy Stewart.
(c) Dean Martin.
(d) Frank Sinatra
5. How does Lewis lose his legs?
(a) He falls on a grenade to protect his platoon.
(b) He is shot in the back while trying to escape an ambush.
(c) He steps on a booby trap while rescuing Sergeant Leslie.
(d) He steps on a booby trap while running for safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Lewis assign Cowboy?
2. Whose wedding does Lewis attend in Chapter 5?
3. Where is Lewis' unit deployed when he first arrives in Vietnam?
4. What was Martha's first response upon seeing Lewis?
5. What news does Toddy give Lewis in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lessons does Lewis learn from his father as a young boy?
2. What are Lewis's "stubbies"?
3. Why does Lewis resume a former bad habit in Vietnam?
4. How does Lewis suffer as a young boy due to his father's fame and position?
5. What does Lewis prevent his men from doing to an enemy corpse in Chapter 3?
6. What does Lewis allow his men to do to an enemy corpse in Chapter 4?
7. How does a local village take advantage of Lewis and his officers in Chapter 3?
8. How does Lewpy's birth affect Lewis?
9. What does Lewis decide to give Toddy the first time she sees him in the hospital?
10. Describe Paul Barents.
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)