|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Lieutenant Doan's men complain to Lewis in Chapter 4?
(a) They are not being treated fairly.
(b) Lewis's men have desecrated an enemy corpse.
(c) Their patrols are more dangerous.
(d) Lewis' men are loud and obnoxious.
2. What does Lewis see his father do for the first time the day he leaves home for war?
(a) Walk away.
(c) Salute him.
(d) Embrace Toddy.
3. What is the Riviera?
(a) The most dangerous patrol area near Camp 413.
(b) An expensive hotel in Las Vegas.
(c) The resort area for troops in Vietnam.
(d) A costal area between Italy and France.
4. Why does Lewis' platoon look forward to patrolling the Tu Cau Bridge?
(a) The ocean breezes cool the air as they patrol.
(b) It is a relatively safe and easy patrol.
(c) The bunker there offers showers and hot food.
(d) The vendors there sell cigarettes and beer.
5. Which solider in Lewis' platoon excels at walking point on patrols?
(c) Corporal Watson.
(d) Corporal Hitch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sergeant Sorg assist Lewis during his military training?
2. Who is McMoangle?
3. At what point in his life does the author begin telling his story?
4. Who is Commander Shaughnessey?
5. In 1952, what does Lewis observe in the base pool that he finds fascinating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toddy's pregnancy affect Lewis's life?
2. What causes Lewis to see his father as a fallible human being?
3. What does Lewis learn he must live up to at an early age?
4. How does the Tet offensive affect the Vietnam War?
5. Describe Paul Barents.
6. What opinion does Chesty have about the Marine Corps' training methods?
7. How does Lewis's family react to his deployment to Vietnam?
8. What does Lewis allow his men to do to an enemy corpse in Chapter 4?
9. Why does Lewis resume a former bad habit in Vietnam?
10. Why does Lewis order a rifle inspection shortly after assuming command of his platoon?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)