|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1952, why does Lewis's father become wary about letting his son mix with the troops on base?
(a) Lewis learns to like the taste of alcohol.
(b) Lewis hears gruesome stories of war.
(c) Lewis develops a habit of cursing.
(d) Lewis has a fascination with weapons.
2. What does the platoon discover one morning after camping on the sides of two hills in a V-shaped draw?
(a) A booby trap made from a discarded C-ration can.
(b) A cache of cigarettes and beer.
(c) A dead Vietcong soldier in an American uniform.
(d) A group of refugees hiding in caves.
3. Why is the platoon's mission into the DMZ compromised?
(a) Corporal Watson steps on a land mine.
(b) A forbidden campfire alerts the Vietcong to the platoon's position.
(c) There is a delay due to Corporal Hitch's heat exhaustion.
(d) Lewis loses radio contact with Captain Woods.
4. What does Lewis see his father do for the first time the day he leaves home for war?
(a) Embrace Toddy.
(b) Walk away.
(c) Salute him.
5. What did Lewis give Toddy when she visited him in the hospital?
(a) A wedding ring on loan from Phil Leslie.
(b) A deep kiss.
(c) His grandmother's diamond engagement ring.
(d) Divorce papers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Riviera?
2. Which member of the platoon joins Lewis and Toddy for drinks at the end of Chapter 5?
3. What bad habit does Lewis resume soon after arriving in Vietnam?
4. In 1951, what does Lewis's father give him for his birthday?
5. In Chapter 1, what responsibility does Lewis's father have at Camp Pendleton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does duty at the Tu Cau Bridge differ from other patrols in Vietnam?
2. What opinion does Chesty have about the Marine Corps' training methods?
3. How does Lewis's move to an apartment affect his recovery?
4. What causes Lewis to see his father as a fallible human being?
5. How does Toddy's pregnancy affect Lewis's life?
6. What does Lewis allow his men to do to an enemy corpse in Chapter 4?
7. Why is Lewis's predecessor in Vietnam relieved of duty?
8. What does Lewis learn he must live up to at an early age?
9. How does Lewis's college life contrast with his experiences in Officer Candidate School?
10. Describe Paul Barents.
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)