|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What college does Lewis attend?
(b) George Washinton University.
(c) William and Mary.
2. Why does Lewis become angry with the villagers his platoon is supposed to protect?
(a) They refuse to help wounded American soldiers.
(b) They try to sell their daughters to his platoon.
(c) They do not listen to his warnings about land mines.
(d) They allow enemy snipers to take refuge in their villages.
3. Who is Captain Thanh?
(a) A Veitcong spy.
(b) A Vietnamese ARVN captain Lewis admires.
(c) The platoon translator.
(d) A Vietnamese government official who greets the platoon.
4. Which friend from the states does Lewis encounter at the officer's club bar in Vietnam?
(a) Phil Leslie.
(b) John Zier.
(c) Paul Barents.
(d) Ken Shelleman.
5. Who is Lewpy?
(a) The hospital corpsman who encourages and assists Lewis.
(b) Lewis's firstborn son.
(c) Lewis's physical therapist.
(d) The nurse who bathes Lewis' wounds.
6. Why is Lewis's platoon given vehicular transportation to Marble Mountain?
(a) The walking path is littered with land mines.
(b) As a reward for killing ten enemy soldiers the previous evening.
(c) It is over two days march away.
(d) The platoon is part of a parade.
7. Who is Commander Shaughnessey?
(a) The doctor in charge of Lewis's hand surgery.
(b) The nurse who bathes Lewis's wounds.
(c) The hospital corpsman who encourages and assists Lewis.
(d) Lewis's physical therapist.
8. What news does Toddy give Lewis in Chapter 2?
(a) She is leaving him.
(b) She cannot have children.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She will not move away from her parents.
9. Whose wedding does Lewis attend in Chapter 5?
(a) Jim Crotty's wedding.
(b) Martha's wedding.
(c) Ken Shelleman's wedding.
(d) John Zier's wedding.
10. Which famous actor's stepson also graduates at Lewis' commissioning ceremony?
(a) Dean Martin.
(b) Clark Gable.
(c) Jimmy Stewart.
(d) Frank Sinatra
11. What position does Lewis assign Cowboy?
(a) Radio operator.
(b) Senior corpsman.
(c) Platoon guide.
(d) Squad leader.
12. Why is Lewis's locker raided in Chapter 2?
(a) Lewis's friends are trying to help him stop smoking.
(b) Because the thieves want name tags bearing the Puller name.
(c) Because Lewis is a "newbie".
(d) Lewis has a forbidden stash of chocolate.
13. What military campaign is launched in January of 1968?
(a) Operation Desert Shield.
(b) The Tet offensive.
(c) Operation Barbarossa.
(d) The Easter offensive.
14. What does Lewis see his father do for the first time the day he leaves home for war?
(a) Embrace Toddy.
(b) Salute him.
(d) Walk away.
15. For what honor is Bob Kerrey nominated in Chapter 5?
(a) The Silver Star.
(b) The Medal of Honor.
(c) The Legion of Merit.
(d) The Purple Heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ken Shelleman purchase before embarking on his wartime service?
2. In Chapter 4, what alerts snipers to the platoon's position during their third patrol rotation?
3. Why does Walter Cronkite report Lewis's injury on the evening news?
4. What type of school is Lewis accepted at after graduating from college?
5. Which soldier is elevated to acting platoon sergeant when Sergeant Leslie is injured?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)