|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Lewis's twin sister?
2. What are stubbies?
(a) Short artificial legs used for training amputees.
(b) A nickname for the short cigarettes rationed by the military.
(c) A group of corpsmen in charge of morale.
(d) The pins used in bone repair.
3. What college does Lewis attend?
(a) George Washinton University.
(c) William and Mary.
4. Why does the platoon carefully bury their garbage?
(a) To keep wild animals out of camp.
(b) As part of the policy to keep the area clean.
(c) To prevent the Vietcong from making booby traps.
(d) To hide their presence from the Vietcong.
5. Who is Phil Leslie?
(a) One of Nixon's political advisors in Vietnam.
(b) The radio operator who was shot.
(c) The corpsman for Lewis' platoon.
(d) The Staff Sergeant who ran the platoon before Lewis' arrival.
6. Why is Lewis's platoon given vehicular transportation to Marble Mountain?
(a) It is over two days march away.
(b) The walking path is littered with land mines.
(c) As a reward for killing ten enemy soldiers the previous evening.
(d) The platoon is part of a parade.
7. What bad habit does Lewis resume soon after arriving in Vietnam?
8. Who is Captain Thanh?
(a) A Vietnamese ARVN captain Lewis admires.
(b) A Veitcong spy.
(c) The platoon translator.
(d) A Vietnamese government official who greets the platoon.
9. Who is Fidget?
(a) The camp mascot.
(b) A Corporal who befriends Lewis.
(c) Lewis's dog
(d) Chesty's personal aide.
10. Why does Walter Cronkite report Lewis's injury on the evening news?
(a) Walter Cronkite is a personal friend of the Puller family.
(b) Lewis was injured while trying to rescue a comrade.
(c) Lewis sacrificed his safety to protect his platoon.
(d) Lewis is the son of a war hero.
11. What news does Toddy give Lewis in Chapter 2?
(a) She cannot have children.
(b) She will not move away from her parents.
(c) She is leaving him.
(d) She is pregnant.
12. Who is Lewpy?
(a) Lewis's physical therapist.
(b) The hospital corpsman who encourages and assists Lewis.
(c) The nurse who bathes Lewis' wounds.
(d) Lewis's firstborn son.
13. In Chapter 2, what waiver is Lewis granted?
(a) A draft waiver.
(b) An educational waiver.
(c) A handicapped waiver.
(d) A vision waiver.
14. In what branch of the armed forces does Lewis's father serve?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Marines.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Navy.
15. What difficulties do Lewis and his sister have to adapt to when they move to Saluda, Virginia?
(a) The sudden changes in climate.
(b) The lack of children their own ages.
(c) Chesty's long absences.
(d) The responsibility of household chores.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, from what conflict or war had Lewis's father just returned?
2. What does the platoon discover one morning after camping on the sides of two hills in a V-shaped draw?
3. What is Marble Mountain?
4. Who is living with Martha in Chapter 2?
5. To what base is Lewis's father transferred in 1952?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)