|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lewis lose his legs?
(a) He steps on a booby trap while rescuing Sergeant Leslie.
(b) He steps on a booby trap while running for safety.
(c) He falls on a grenade to protect his platoon.
(d) He is shot in the back while trying to escape an ambush.
2. Why is Lewis's platoon given vehicular transportation to Marble Mountain?
(a) The platoon is part of a parade.
(b) It is over two days march away.
(c) As a reward for killing ten enemy soldiers the previous evening.
(d) The walking path is littered with land mines.
3. What painful treatment must Lewis endure to prepare his leg for surgery?
(a) Steel pin alignments.
(b) Muscle building.
(c) Skin stretching.
4. For what honor is Bob Kerrey nominated in Chapter 5?
(a) The Medal of Honor.
(b) The Purple Heart.
(c) The Legion of Merit.
(d) The Silver Star.
5. Why does Lewis write long letters to his father while on duty at the Tu Cau Bridge?
(a) Combat has made him feel closer to his father.
(b) He is homesick.
(c) The poor conditions make him appreciate home.
(d) He is bored.
6. Where is Lewis' unit deployed when he first arrives in Vietnam?
(a) Outside Ho Chi Minh.
(b) Near the Cua Viet River.
(c) Near the Thanlyin river.
(d) Just north of Seoul.
7. Who is Fidget?
(a) A Corporal who befriends Lewis.
(b) Chesty's personal aide.
(c) The camp mascot.
(d) Lewis's dog
8. In Chapter 3, what does Lewis ask Toddy to send him?
(a) Canned food.
(b) A water poncho.
(c) A photograph.
(d) Paper and pens.
9. Why does the platoon carefully bury their garbage?
(a) To prevent the Vietcong from making booby traps.
(b) To hide their presence from the Vietcong.
(c) As part of the policy to keep the area clean.
(d) To keep wild animals out of camp.
10. In Chapter 1, what rank had Lewis's father attained?
(a) Lieutenant General.
(b) Lieutenant Colonel.
(c) Brigadier General.
(d) Colonel Brigadier.
11. Why was Lewis' predecessor relieved of duty?
(a) He accidentally shot his own radio operator.
(b) He stepped on a land mine.
(c) He shot his staff sergeant.
(d) He was accused of war atrocities.
12. What position does Lewis desire in the military?
(a) Combat engineer.
(b) Combat platoon leader.
(c) Artillery officer.
(d) Judge Advocate.
13. In Chapter 4, what alerts snipers to the platoon's position during their third patrol rotation?
(a) The detonation of a booby trap.
(b) A hacking cough.
(c) The laughter of the patrol.
(d) A snapped branch.
14. What is Marble Mountain?
(a) A Vietcong camp.
(b) One of the most dangerous patrol areas in Vietnam.
(c) The capitol city of Vietnam.
(d) A patrol area where the platoons were sent to relax.
15. Where is Camp 413 located?
(a) East of Seoul.
(b) North of Hanoi.
(c) Outside Da Nang.
(d) Outside Dong Ha.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lewis give Toddy when she visited him in the hospital?
2. Why is the platoon's mission into the DMZ compromised?
3. In Chapter 2, what waiver is Lewis granted?
4. Who is Corporal Watson?
5. Why does Lewis' platoon look forward to patrolling the Tu Cau Bridge?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)