|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Elspeth to blame for the second American adventure for Flashman?
2. What does Candy tell Flashman that the "B" in her name stands for?
3. What does each side, the Native Americans and the U.S. Army, accuse each other of?
4. What does Flashman think about negotiations with Sen. Allison?
5. Why is Flashman spared from being flayed and burned at the stake after the raid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Flashman's escape from the Apaches.
2. Who is Crazy Horse and what is his attitude towards Americans?
3. Why does Flashman think that Spotted Tail is one of the more clever chiefs?
4. How does President Grant react when Flashman visits him on behalf of Custer?
5. How does Candy act strangely after having slept with Flashman? Why is it strange?
6. Describe George Custer's mind-frame when Flashman meets him again in New York?
7. Describe how Flashman is injured.
8. Why does Flashman blame Elspeth for this second trip to the United States?
9. Describe why Flashman is spared a gruesome death like the other scalp-hunters.
10. Describe the issue that is going on in the Black Hills.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Harry Flashman represents an archetype? Discuss why or why not and use examples from the novel to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What was ironic about Flashman's jealousy with Elspeth?
Essay Topic 3
The Flashman character is taken from another series called "Tom Brown's Schooldays" in which Flashman is portrayed as a bully. Do you think that is his nature? Does he still exhibit those qualities? Support your answer from the text.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)