|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Gallantin's men kill two of their own men?
2. What does Flashman do that leads to rebellion?
3. What does Flashman say he has always been good with?
4. What happens to Flashman after the argument in the Traveler's Club?
5. Which of Susie's girls does Flashman notice in particular?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colonel Owens express admiration for Susie?
2. Explain why Peter Omohundro has been after Flashman.
3. Why does Flashman get a little nervous after hearing of his father-in-law's death?
4. Why does Flashman say that the first few days on the trail are an illusion?
5. Describe Susie's plan to get Flashman safely out of New Orleans.
6. Why is Flashman nervous when he realizes that Grattan Nugent-Hare served in the British Army?
7. What difference does Flashman notice about the "Oregoners" compared to those people who are bound for California?
8. Describe how Flashman enjoys the frontier alone.
9. How does Flashman attempt to persuade the pompous professor of his own expertise in the matter of the Native Americans?
10. How does Flashman persuade Wootton to let him act as if he is commanding the caravan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think it is luck that Flashman has survived all these years? Why or why not? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Harry Flashman is clearly the protagonist of the novel, but would you consider him a hero or an anti-hero? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Harry Flashman to George Custer. Do you think they are similar sort of men or very different? Support your answer using the text.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)