|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins to drive Flashman crazy while on the trip?
2. How does Susie get rid of Captain Spring?
3. How does Flashman react to Susie's solution to get him out of New Orleans?
4. What is Susie's solution to get Flashman out of New Orleans?
5. What language does Flashman state he never learned to speak properly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Flashman feel momentarily sorry for Peter Omohundro?
2. How does Flashman describe Wootton?
3. Why does Colonel Owens express admiration for Susie?
4. Explain why Peter Omohundro has been after Flashman.
5. What happens when Susie hires Grattan Nugent-Hare for security in Santa Fe?
6. Why does Flashman get in a huff in the first chapter?
7. What did the papers contain that Flashman was hiding from Captain Spring?
8. What request does Cleonie startle Flashman with?
9. Describe why Flashman is a little nervous to be going to St. Louis.
10. How does Susie get around selling any of her girls to prospective buyers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Flashman is clearly the protagonist of the novel, but would you consider him a hero or an anti-hero? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
History is often written in the eye of the beholder. The battle of Little Bighorn shown here in Flashman and the Redskin is a real historical event, even though Flashman himself was not a real person. Pick one of the major battles in the novel, research its real-life equivalent and compare and contrast Flashman's account to the account written by true historians.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Flashman and his wife, Elspeth. Would you say that they have a strong relationship? Why or why not? Support your answer with quotes and passages from the book.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)