|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Flashman show the men that he is arguing with?
(a) A pound with the Queen's picture on it.
(b) A tattoo of the British flag.
(c) A scar that he got while in a bar fight.
(d) A place on his head where he was "scalped" by a Native American.
2. What does Nugent-Hare reveal to Flashman?
(a) That he'd known who Flashman was all along.
(b) That his name isn't really Nugent-Hare.
(c) That he was in love with Susie.
(d) That he'd been having an affair with Susie since Council Grove.
3. Who rejoins the caravan after the battle at Fort Bent is over?
(b) Captain Spring.
(c) Spotted Tail.
(d) The Pittsburg Pirates.
4. What road does Wootton specifically tell Flashman to avoid?
(a) The Apache Road.
(b) The Oregon Trail.
(c) The Sioux Highway.
(d) The Cimarron Road.
5. Why does Flashman say that in St. Louis, you don't dare drink anything besides claret?
(a) Because of malaria.
(b) Because in St. Louis, you want to be drunk all the time.
(c) Because of small pox.
(d) Because of cholera.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't the girls tell Susie about Flashman's infidelity?
2. Which of Susie's girls does Flashman sleep with first?
3. Once aboard the steamship, what does Flashman notice about the other passengers?
4. Shortly after Flashman joins them, who do Gallantin and his men seek revenge on, and for what?
5. What disgusts Flashman after the raid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Flashman get in a huff in the first chapter?
2. What difference does Flashman notice about the "Oregoners" compared to those people who are bound for California?
3. Why does Flashman get a little nervous after hearing of his father-in-law's death?
4. How does Susie get around selling any of her girls to prospective buyers?
5. Describe Susie's whore house when Flashman and Spring show up to hide there.
6. When Flashman and Grattan Nugent-Hare meet again, what does Nugent-Hare enlighten Flashman with?
7. What request does Cleonie startle Flashman with?
8. What happens when Susie hires Grattan Nugent-Hare for security in Santa Fe?
9. How does Flashman attempt to persuade the pompous professor of his own expertise in the matter of the Native Americans?
10. Describe Susie's plan to get Flashman safely out of New Orleans.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)