|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Spotted Tail say he learned English?
(a) He learned it on the reservation.
(b) He married an American woman.
(c) He went to live with an American family.
(d) In prison, after the slaughter at Fort Leavenworth.
2. What does Flashman find out that Apaches believe?
(a) That they are always right.
(b) That they want peace.
(c) That deceit is a virtue.
(d) That they are gods.
3. What is the woman that Flashman notices in the restaurant in Washington D.C. wearing that does not detract from her beauty?
(a) An ill-fitting dress.
(b) Men's trousers.
(c) An eye patch.
(d) A bonnet.
4. Where does Flashman first meet and talk with high-placed men from the Grant Administration (Sherman, Pope and Cook)?
(a) In London at the Parliament.
(b) In Chicago at Philip Sheridan's wedding.
(c) At the Alamo.
(d) At the White House.
5. What does Candy tell Flashman that the "B" in her name stands for?
(a) "Beautiful" which Flashman agrees to.
(b) "Bold" because she is not afraid to stand up for herself.
(c) "Business" during working hours.
(d) "Brave" because she is very brave.
6. What does Elspeth get involved with that delays the Flashmans from sailing to England?
(a) The World's Fair.
(b) The World Cup.
(c) The New York Independence Day Foundation.
(d) The Philidelphia Exposition.
7. Before Carson and Flashman part ways, what does Carson tell Flashman about Wootton?
(a) Carson tells Flashman that Wootton is looking for him to collect the extra $100.00 a week he is owed.
(b) That Wootton suspects that he is Comber, who is a bigamist with a price on his head.
(c) Carson tells Flashman that Wootton and Susie have gotten married.
(d) Carson tells Flashman that Wootton has died.
8. What does Flashman consider Chief Mangas Colorado?
(a) A blood-thirsty tyrant.
(b) A fine psychologist and politician.
(c) A psychopath.
(d) A bit slow, but nice enough.
9. What does the U.S. government order the Sioux to do before February?
(a) It orders them to become Christians.
(b) It orders them to the agencies.
(c) It orders them to move west.
(d) It orders them to mine the land for gold.
10. What does Flashman suspect Elspeth of doing while they are at Camp Robinson?
(a) Cheating on him with Spotted Tail.
(b) Trying to poison him.
(c) Cheating on him with Sen. Allison.
(d) Cheating on him with President Grant.
11. Who is the woman that Flashman saved from Nugent-Hare?
(a) She was a peasant.
(b) The daughter of Chief Mangas Colorado.
(c) The daughter of John Gallantin.
(d) The wife of Chief Mangas Colorado.
12. When Flashman and Elspeth are in Chicago, what does Elspeth say she wants to see?
(a) The Native Americans in their natural surroundings.
(c) The Statue of Liberty.
(d) The Mississippi River.
13. What does Flashman tell Spotted Tail privately while at Camp Robinson?
(a) That Sen. Allison is a good man and will do right by the Sioux for their sacred lands.
(b) That Spotted Tail better stay away from Elspeth.
(c) That Sen. Allison is an idiot and that Spotted Tail should take advantage of this.
(d) That the negotiations are a a sham and that Sen. Allison plans on cheating the Sioux out of their land.
14. Why does George Custer feel that he has been reverted back to prewar rank of lieutenant colonel?
(a) Because he didn't want to be in a battle any longer.
(b) Because the war is over.
(c) Because President Grant dislikes him.
(d) Because he didn't do a great job as a general.
15. Who else has bombarded Grant regarding Custer?
(a) Sherman and Sheridan.
(c) Spotted Tail.
(d) Sitting Bull.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Flashman glad that he's not present for Spotted Tail's formal rejection of Allison's offer?
2. What makes compliance with the government's order impossible?
3. After leaving the Black Hills, where do the Flashmans return to?
4. What does each side, the Native Americans and the U.S. Army, accuse each other of?
5. What do the Apache's shoot Flashman with?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)