|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Captain Spring often quote literature and the Bible in?
2. Where do Flashman and Spring go for refuge when they become fugitives?
(a) They get on the first steamboat out of town.
(b) Another bar.
(c) They hide out in a hotel.
(d) A whore house.
3. What else, besides sickness, worried Flashman about being in St. Louis?
(a) There was a reward for his arrest in St. Louis a few weeks prior.
(b) He is worried Susie will find out what his real name is.
(c) He is worried that they won't have enough money to go west.
(d) He is worried about running into Capatin Spring.
4. Shortly after Flashman joins them, who do Gallantin and his men seek revenge on, and for what?
(a) The Chumash for raiding a nearby hacienda.
(b) The Apaches for raiding a nearby hacienda.
(c) The Souix for raiding a nearby hacienda.
(d) The Navajo for raiding a nearby hacienda.
5. Who does Flashman grow quite fond of and call a "good conversationalist?"
6. What does Grattan Nugent-Hare notice about Flashman when he meets him again?
(a) That he cut his hair.
(b) That he is travelling alone.
(c) That he doesn't have a British accent anymore.
(d) That his name has changed from Comber to Flashman.
7. How much are they charging for claret at the hotel in St. Louis?
(a) They aren't charging, it is free.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Fifteen dollars.
8. How does Susie make her girls behave when traveling?
(a) Susie lets them behave however they want.
(b) They must all stay inside their cabins at all times.
(c) They must all look and act like prostitutes.
(d) They must all look and act like ladies.
9. What ultimately happens to Nugent-Hare?
(a) He wets himself.
(b) He is killed by Flashman with his own blade as they are fighting over a female.
(c) He is terrified and runs off.
(d) He gets scalped.
10. What does Cleonie ask Flashman after they've had sex during siesta?
(a) She asks if Flashman loves her.
(b) She asks him to take her with him when he abandons Susie.
(c) She asks Flashman if he has any children.
(d) She asks if Flashman will divorce Susie and marry her.
11. What does the party find out about the trip to California?
(a) That a drought is making it hard for caravans to get through.
(b) That it's going to be a long, brutal trip.
(c) That it's easy going from here on out.
(d) That there isn't enough food to make it the whole way.
12. What does Flashman show the men that he is arguing with?
(a) A pound with the Queen's picture on it.
(b) A scar that he got while in a bar fight.
(c) A place on his head where he was "scalped" by a Native American.
(d) A tattoo of the British flag.
13. How does Flashman earn Wootton's respect?
(a) Flashman is a very good rider.
(b) Flashman shoots and kills a buffalo on the first try.
(c) Wootton knows of Flashman's impressive military history.
(d) Flashman is an honorable man.
14. Where does the first part of this book take place?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) New York.
(d) New Orleans.
15. Three days into the journey west, what two trails diverge?
(a) The Santa Fe and the Oregon Trail
(b) The Oregon Trail and Route 66.
(c) The Santa Fe and Route 66.
(d) The trails don't diverge, they are the same trail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flashman do with Cleonie as he is leaving Santa Fe?
2. How many other caravans does Flashman's caravan eventually join?
3. What does Grattan Nugent-Hare do after he is hired?
4. What agreement does Flashman come to with Wootton?
5. Who tells Flashman that all of Susie's girls know about his first tryst?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)