|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the after effect of the fight on Kneadus the next day at school?
2. Which of the following is not a reason why Kneadus rejects companionship from a particular farmhand?
3. Which of the following characters did not write a love letter to Zuta that she keeps in her bedroom dresser?
4. What is the name of Joey's girl cousin?
5. Which of the following communists has a speech given to Kneadus by a peasant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Joey is alone with Zuta he has a difficult time communicating with her. Choose at least two scenes in which Joey finds himself unable to physically communicate with Zuta. How does Joey unleash the frustration he feels at his ineptitude? Then, explain how each of these scenes highlights the different levels of maturity and character growth in Joey and Zuta.
Essay Topic 2
Joey comes into contact with various members of his family as the novel progresses. First, explain why Joey's family is so broken and scattered. How has this element of his life affected Joey's level of maturity? Then, choose at least one scene in which one of Joey's family members pops up unexpectedly. How does Joey react to this surprise? How does the reintroduction of family affect the way Joey interacts with the outside world?
Essay Topic 3
At various places in the novel, the prose is broken up with chunks of poetry or quotes from other published authors. First, choose at least two of these quotes from the novel and explain their significance within the story. Then, explain what is accomplished in the novel overall by including these secondary texts. Do you think the goal is accomplished?
This section contains 1,777 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)