|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Joey give to the schoolgirl that causes her parents to burst out in giggles?
2. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when she realizes Joey is in love with her daughter?
3. Which of the following is not a reason why Kneadus rejects companionship from a particular farmhand?
4. Which of the following adjectives is not one Joey uses to describe Mr. and Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
5. Which of the following groups of men almost passes as "good enough" for Kneadus' desire to meet a farmhand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joey feel about the decorations in Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
2. How does the crowd at the tennis match respond to all the craziness going on around the field?
3. What is the residual effects of the battle between Syphus and Kneadus the day after?
4. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when she realizes that Joey is in love with Zuta?
5. What interesting items does Joey find in Zuta's bedroom when he snoops through her belongings?
6. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda sneaks through her bedroom window?
7. Who starts the final brawl of the novel?
8. How does the colonel respond to the tennis game he is watching in the 18th century?
9. What are Valek and Kneadus doing in the woods when Auntie and Uncle find them there?
10. What happens when Joey and Kneadus reach the edge of the city in their search for the farmhand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Joey is reverted back to the body of a teenager, he is sent to stay at an all-boys boarding school. First, describe the setting of the school. How does the school in the novel compare to traditional schools in our culture? How do the teachers treat the students? How do the students treat the teachers? In what way is the relationship between students and teachers a direct reflection of the overall emotions of the society Joey is apart of in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Joey comes into contact with various members of his family as the novel progresses. First, explain why Joey's family is so broken and scattered. How has this element of his life affected Joey's level of maturity? Then, choose at least one scene in which one of Joey's family members pops up unexpectedly. How does Joey react to this surprise? How does the reintroduction of family affect the way Joey interacts with the outside world?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Joey struggles with issues of his own self maturity. First, describe what Joey's maturity level was like at the opening of the novel and compare that to his maturity level at the end of the novel. Then, choose at least two scenes in the novel that you believe showcase Joey's journey toward maturity. Describe these scenes, and explain how they exemplify Joey's journey.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)