|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion overcomes the Marquis when he leaves the tennis match?
2. How many individual forms of torture does the narrator believe there are in the world?
3. What other character attempts to climb through Zuta's window, professing undying love for her?
4. What sound does Joey make through the wall to let Zuta know he's spying on her?
5. What sound do the boys hear as they make their way to the outskirts of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the epileptic seizure that frightens the crowd of spectators at the tennis match?
2. What motivation does the narrator say he has for wanting to be a storyteller?
3. How does Kneadus react when he sees the farmhand he has been searching for working at Auntie's house?
4. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda sneaks through her bedroom window?
5. What does the narrator of the novel think about symmetry?
6. What is the residual effects of the battle between Syphus and Kneadus the day after?
7. How does Zuta respond when she realizes Joey is spying on her?
8. How does Joey feel about the decorations in Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
9. How does Mr. Youngblood react to the scene he walks into in Zuta's bedroom while looking for thieves?
10. Why does Joey alter the fruit compote he is served for dessert with the Youngblood family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the rest of the boys in school are busy battling each other, Kopyrda has other priorities. First, describe the character of Kopyrda. What makes him different than the other boys in his classroom? How do the other boys in the class treat Kopyrda? Then, explain what Kopydra's motivations in life are. What is he searching for? Does he have any chance of obtaining his desires? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 2
One of the most important scenes in the novel is the emotional battle between Kneadus and Syphus. First, describe what the two boys were battling for. Who was involved in this battle? Who was left out of the fight? Then, describe the actual events of the battle. What emotions were thrown onto the table? Which boy was victorious? Finally, describe the after-effects of the battle on each of the boys in the days following the battle.
Essay Topic 3
When Joey arrives at the school, his schoolmates quickly divide up into two gangs, the lads and the guys. First, explain how the division among the boys came about in the schoolyard. Who is declared the leader of each of the gangs? What characteristics define the boys who are lads and boys who are guys? In what way does the schoolyard division reflect the social divide that is taking place in the town Joey lives in? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)