|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does not describe the peasant Joey spots hiding in the outskirts of the city?
2. Which of the following characters screams that there is a thief in the house when Kopyrda is heard in Zuta's bedroom?
3. While she is doing her language homework, how does Zuta feel about the confrontation that happened at the dinner table earlier that night?
4. What is the after effect of the fight on Kneadus the next day at school?
5. Which of the following is not something the narrator claims gives him inspiration in his writing life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joey end up in a field at the end of the novel?
2. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda sneaks through her bedroom window?
3. Who starts the final brawl of the novel?
4. How does Mr. Youngblood react to the scene he walks into in Zuta's bedroom while looking for thieves?
5. What is the residual effects of the battle between Syphus and Kneadus the day after?
6. How does Auntie feel about the budding friendship between Valek and Kneadus?
7. What happens when the Marquis de Filiberthe joins the brawl at the tennis match?
8. Why does Joey create a peephole between his bedroom and Zuta's bedroom?
9. How does Aunt Hurlecka come to Joey's rescue while he is on the outskirts of town?
10. What motivation does the narrator say he has for wanting to be a storyteller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Joey arrives at the school, his schoolmates quickly divide up into two gangs, the lads and the guys. First, explain how the division among the boys came about in the schoolyard. Who is declared the leader of each of the gangs? What characteristics define the boys who are lads and boys who are guys? In what way does the schoolyard division reflect the social divide that is taking place in the town Joey lives in? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Zuta is described as being a "modern" schoolgirl. First, describe the character of Zuta. What makes her different from the other schoolgirls in her grade? Then, explain what it means to be "modern" in Zuta's society. Is modernity something one is born with or can it be learned? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 3
At various places in the novel, the prose is broken up with chunks of poetry or quotes from other published authors. First, choose at least two of these quotes from the novel and explain their significance within the story. Then, explain what is accomplished in the novel overall by including these secondary texts. Do you think the goal is accomplished?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)