|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bizarre action does Joey watch Zuta do after he hears her groaning in the dark?
2. What does Joey daydream about on his second day of school?
3. How does Joey peep at Zuta?
4. What nationality is the tennis player who plays in the one match the narrator remembers?
5. Which of the following characters frequently takes a cold shower in the morning rather than a bath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator of the novel believe is the worst form of torture in the world?
2. What happens when Joey and Kneadus reach the edge of the city in their search for the farmhand?
3. Who starts the final brawl of the novel?
4. Why does Joey create a peephole between his bedroom and Zuta's bedroom?
5. How does Aunt Hurlecka come to Joey's rescue while he is on the outskirts of town?
6. How does Kneadus react when he sees the farmhand he has been searching for working at Auntie's house?
7. What happens when Pimko also arrives outside Zuta's window while Kopyrda is still inside?
8. How does the crowd at the tennis match respond to all the craziness going on around the field?
9. How does Mr. Youngblood react to the scene he walks into in Zuta's bedroom while looking for thieves?
10. How do Joey and Kneadus fare while searching for the farmhand in the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zuta is described as being a "modern" schoolgirl. First, describe the character of Zuta. What makes her different from the other schoolgirls in her grade? Then, explain what it means to be "modern" in Zuta's society. Is modernity something one is born with or can it be learned? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Joey has various crushes on female characters he comes across. First, describe the first romantic crush Joey has on a female character in the novel. How does he respond to these romantic feelings? Then, compare Joey's first crush to a crush he has later on in the novel. What has changed in the way Joey responds to these romantic feelings? How do these scenes show growth in Joey's character? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 3
At various places in the novel, the prose is broken up with chunks of poetry or quotes from other published authors. First, choose at least two of these quotes from the novel and explain their significance within the story. Then, explain what is accomplished in the novel overall by including these secondary texts. Do you think the goal is accomplished?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)