|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Joey play with Kneadus and the servants on his first day at Auntie's house?
2. In what types of positions does Joey hope he catches Zuta in while peeping on her?
3. Which of the following nursery rhyme characters invades Joey's daydreams while he is in class?
4. In what century does the tennis match take place?
5. How do the Youngbloods react when they see Kopyrda in their daughter's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joey end up in a field at the end of the novel?
2. What is the residual effects of the battle between Syphus and Kneadus the day after?
3. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when she realizes that Joey is in love with Zuta?
4. What are Valek and Kneadus doing in the woods when Auntie and Uncle find them there?
5. How do Joey and Kneadus fare while searching for the farmhand in the city?
6. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when she sees Zuta walking down the street with a boy she doesn't know?
7. How does the narrator explain his beliefs that all art is an imitation?
8. How does Mr. Youngblood react to the scene he walks into in Zuta's bedroom while looking for thieves?
9. How does Kneadus react when he sees the farmhand he has been searching for working at Auntie's house?
10. How does Auntie feel about the budding friendship between Valek and Kneadus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel there are many references to the human body. Choose at least two scenes in which a part of the human body is a key element. What metaphor is being created through the use of these body parts? What is the overarching message the narrator is trying to communicate about the symbolism of the human body in literature?
Essay Topic 2
At various places in the novel, the prose is broken up with chunks of poetry or quotes from other published authors. First, choose at least two of these quotes from the novel and explain their significance within the story. Then, explain what is accomplished in the novel overall by including these secondary texts. Do you think the goal is accomplished?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Joey has various crushes on female characters he comes across. First, describe the first romantic crush Joey has on a female character in the novel. How does he respond to these romantic feelings? Then, compare Joey's first crush to a crush he has later on in the novel. What has changed in the way Joey responds to these romantic feelings? How do these scenes show growth in Joey's character? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)