|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words is not one Joey writes on the wall of the Youngbloods' bathroom?
2. At what hour of the day does Mrs. Youngblood always come to check on Zuta's homework?
3. What nickname does Joey give to the schoolgirl that causes her parents to burst out in giggles?
4. What do the sophisticated members of the tennis audience do when they see the brawl breaking out?
5. Which of the following laws does the narrator claim demands a preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pimko also arrives outside Zuta's window while Kopyrda is still inside?
2. How does Mr. Youngblood react to the scene he walks into in Zuta's bedroom while looking for thieves?
3. What does the narrator of the novel think about symmetry?
4. How does Aunt Hurlecka come to Joey's rescue while he is on the outskirts of town?
5. Why does Joey create a peephole between his bedroom and Zuta's bedroom?
6. How does the colonel respond to the tennis game he is watching in the 18th century?
7. What interesting items does Joey find in Zuta's bedroom when he snoops through her belongings?
8. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda sneaks through her bedroom window?
9. How do Joey and Kneadus fare while searching for the farmhand in the city?
10. Why does Joey end up in a field at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the rest of the boys in school are busy battling each other, Kopyrda has other priorities. First, describe the character of Kopyrda. What makes him different than the other boys in his classroom? How do the other boys in the class treat Kopyrda? Then, explain what Kopydra's motivations in life are. What is he searching for? Does he have any chance of obtaining his desires? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 2
One of the most important scenes in the novel is the emotional battle between Kneadus and Syphus. First, describe what the two boys were battling for. Who was involved in this battle? Who was left out of the fight? Then, describe the actual events of the battle. What emotions were thrown onto the table? Which boy was victorious? Finally, describe the after-effects of the battle on each of the boys in the days following the battle.
Essay Topic 3
When Joey is reverted back to the body of a teenager, he is sent to stay at an all-boys boarding school. First, describe the setting of the school. How does the school in the novel compare to traditional schools in our culture? How do the teachers treat the students? How do the students treat the teachers? In what way is the relationship between students and teachers a direct reflection of the overall emotions of the society Joey is apart of in the novel?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)