Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not something Uncle demands from the servant to show him his place in the household?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the conversations the Youngblood family has around the dinner table each night?
3. In what types of positions does Joey hope he catches Zuta in while peeping on her?
4. How many gentlemen ride their women up to the Marquis when they see him in the crowd?
5. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda climbs through her window?
Essay Topic 1
The narrator of this novel has very strong opinions of what art is in society and how to accomplish it. First, describe the difference between what the narrator calls "art" with a lowercase a and "Art" with an uppercase A. Then, describe the narrator's opinions of the art community as a whole. Do you agree with the narrator's opinions of art? Finally, describe how the narrator's opinions of art reflect his feeling about this novel. Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that you think best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe them in this essay.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel there are many references to the human body. Choose at least two scenes in which a part of the human body is a key element. What metaphor is being created through the use of these body parts? What is the overarching message the narrator is trying to communicate about the symbolism of the human body in literature?
Essay Topic 3
When Joey arrives at the school, his schoolmates quickly divide up into two gangs, the lads and the guys. First, explain how the division among the boys came about in the schoolyard. Who is declared the leader of each of the gangs? What characteristics define the boys who are lads and boys who are guys? In what way does the schoolyard division reflect the social divide that is taking place in the town Joey lives in? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)