Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not something Uncle demands from the servant to show him his place in the household?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the conversations the Youngblood family has around the dinner table each night?
3. In what types of positions does Joey hope he catches Zuta in while peeping on her?
4. How many gentlemen ride their women up to the Marquis when they see him in the crowd?
5. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda climbs through her window?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Joey has various crushes on female characters he comes across. First, describe the first romantic crush Joey has on a female character in the novel. How does he respond to these romantic feelings? Then, compare Joey's first crush to a crush he has later on in the novel. What has changed in the way Joey responds to these romantic feelings? How do these scenes show growth in Joey's character? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 2
When Joey arrives at the school, his schoolmates quickly divide up into two gangs, the lads and the guys. First, explain how the division among the boys came about in the schoolyard. Who is declared the leader of each of the gangs? What characteristics define the boys who are lads and boys who are guys? In what way does the schoolyard division reflect the social divide that is taking place in the town Joey lives in? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Joey is alone with Zuta he has a difficult time communicating with her. Choose at least two scenes in which Joey finds himself unable to physically communicate with Zuta. How does Joey unleash the frustration he feels at his ineptitude? Then, explain how each of these scenes highlights the different levels of maturity and character growth in Joey and Zuta.
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)