|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the schoolgirl respond when her parents ask her who the young boy was they saw her with?
2. How does Joey peep at Zuta?
3. Which of the following adjectives does not describe the peasant Joey spots hiding in the outskirts of the city?
4. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda climbs through her window?
5. What sound do the boys hear as they make their way to the outskirts of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joey alter the fruit compote he is served for dessert with the Youngblood family?
2. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda sneaks through her bedroom window?
3. What happens when the Marquis de Filiberthe joins the brawl at the tennis match?
4. How does Auntie feel about the budding friendship between Valek and Kneadus?
5. How does Joey feel about the decorations in Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
6. Why does Joey end up in a field at the end of the novel?
7. How does Mr. Youngblood react to the scene he walks into in Zuta's bedroom while looking for thieves?
8. What is the residual effects of the battle between Syphus and Kneadus the day after?
9. How does the narrator explain his beliefs that all art is an imitation?
10. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when she sees Zuta walking down the street with a boy she doesn't know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Doctor Pimko is introduced at the opening of the novel as a much different doctor than he is at the end of the novel. First, describe the first scenes in which Pimko is introduced to the reader. How is he treating his patients? Then, compare that to the Doctor Pimko the reader sees at the end of the novel. Choose at least two scenes that you think best exemplify Doctor Pimko's change, and describe these scenes.
Essay Topic 2
One of the most important scenes in the novel is the emotional battle between Kneadus and Syphus. First, describe what the two boys were battling for. Who was involved in this battle? Who was left out of the fight? Then, describe the actual events of the battle. What emotions were thrown onto the table? Which boy was victorious? Finally, describe the after-effects of the battle on each of the boys in the days following the battle.
Essay Topic 3
At various places in the novel, the prose is broken up with chunks of poetry or quotes from other published authors. First, choose at least two of these quotes from the novel and explain their significance within the story. Then, explain what is accomplished in the novel overall by including these secondary texts. Do you think the goal is accomplished?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)