|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joey peep at Zuta?
2. How does Joey feel about the relationship between Pimko and the school girl?
3. What is the name of Joey's girl cousin?
4. At what hour of the day does Mrs. Youngblood always come to check on Zuta's homework?
5. What does Joey daydream about on his second day of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when she sees Zuta walking down the street with a boy she doesn't know?
2. How does Auntie feel about the budding friendship between Valek and Kneadus?
3. What happens when Joey and Kneadus reach the edge of the city in their search for the farmhand?
4. How does Zuta respond when she realizes Joey is spying on her?
5. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when she realizes that Joey is in love with Zuta?
6. Why does Joey end up in a field at the end of the novel?
7. How does Joey feel about the decorations in Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
8. What interesting items does Joey find in Zuta's bedroom when he snoops through her belongings?
9. What does the narrator of the novel believe is the worst form of torture in the world?
10. What happens when Pimko also arrives outside Zuta's window while Kopyrda is still inside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joey comes into contact with various members of his family as the novel progresses. First, explain why Joey's family is so broken and scattered. How has this element of his life affected Joey's level of maturity? Then, choose at least one scene in which one of Joey's family members pops up unexpectedly. How does Joey react to this surprise? How does the reintroduction of family affect the way Joey interacts with the outside world?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Joey has various crushes on female characters he comes across. First, describe the first romantic crush Joey has on a female character in the novel. How does he respond to these romantic feelings? Then, compare Joey's first crush to a crush he has later on in the novel. What has changed in the way Joey responds to these romantic feelings? How do these scenes show growth in Joey's character? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 3
While the rest of the boys in school are busy battling each other, Kopyrda has other priorities. First, describe the character of Kopyrda. What makes him different than the other boys in his classroom? How do the other boys in the class treat Kopyrda? Then, explain what Kopydra's motivations in life are. What is he searching for? Does he have any chance of obtaining his desires? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)