|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Thompson in his present mood in "October?"
(a) He feels McGovern is a lost cause.
(b) He is afraid that someone will threaten McGovern.
(c) He knows that the election will be a tight race.
(d) He feels McGovern is going to win.
2. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
(a) The smarter preson.
(b) The liar.
(c) The manipulative person.
(d) The direct person.
3. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
(a) The politicians.
(b) The journalists.
(c) The speech writers.
(d) The constituents.
4. On the day of the election, where is the first place the personnel and press are taken?
(b) Voting location.
(d) A rally.
5. Why must Thompson strictly adhere to the schedule set forth by the Rolling Stone?
(a) He owes the editors of Rolling Stone many favors.
(b) His contractual agreements.
(c) He has a book coming out from their press.
(d) He will be blacklisted if he does not.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people who are uninterested in politics react to Thompson's writing?
2. During the campaign Thomas reminisces about in "August," what did the police use to control the crowd?
3. Why did Nixon employ Ziegler?
4. What did Eagleton refuse to disclose to the public and to his own party?
5. In Thompson's own words, what does he initially admit to believing about Mankiewicz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
2. How does Thompson relate the politics of the campaign to the partying of the personnel?
3. How does Thompson describe the varying roles of and attitudes toward professional speech writers?
4. Why does the public find Mankowiecz so unsettling?
5. What are Thompson's opinions on what Americans want from their leaders?
6. Why do Thompson and his friend decide to resolve the Mankiewicz situation by leaving?
7. How does Thompson describe the passengers of Dakota Queen II?
8. How does Thompson describe the drug use among the other journalists?
9. Why is Thompson the "rock-n-roll emissary" for politics?
10. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)