|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Thompson unable to explain about his preferred candidate in "October?"
(a) McGovern's inability to make a firm decision.
(b) McGovern's shady past.
(c) McGovern's lack of public speaking skills.
(d) McGovern's lack of success in the polls.
2. What is the name of the airplane which carries the reserve personnel during the campaign of 1972?
(a) Air Force Three.
(b) Dakota Queen II.
(c) Kingsport One.
(d) Zoo Plane.
3. In general, who flies on Thompson's preferred plane?
(d) Reserve personnel.
4. When Thompson refers to "the American Dream," what class does he posit has the most at stake in believing in that ideal?
(a) The middle class.
(b) The lower class.
(c) The illegal immigrants.
(d) The upper class.
5. Where is the second location the personnel and press are taken on election day?
(b) A local university.
(d) Voting location.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "November Continued," what is the reputation of the journalists Thompson travels with?
2. In "August," what does Thompson remember from a previous campaign?
3. What is the date of election day in this book?
4. What did Eagleton refuse to disclose to the public and to his own party?
5. In a tongue-in-cheek reference to his employment by the "Rolling Stone," how does Thompson refer to his position as a political writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
2. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
3. What does Thompson mean when he says American politics are based on "perception and reality?"
4. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
5. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
6. In what ways is Thompson introducing new readers to the world of politics?
7. Why do Thompson and his friend decide to resolve the Mankiewicz situation by leaving?
8. Describe Thompson's thoughts on the Yin/Yang in regards to Nixon and McGovern.
9. How does Eagleton affect McGovern's campaign run?
10. Why is Thompson in such a dark mood in "October?"
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)