|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of "October?"
(c) Excited and nervous.
2. In "September," what does Thompson name as being the real problem behind the shrinking middle class?
(a) Unfair wages.
(b) Sexism and racism in the workplace.
(d) Public policy.
3. In general, who flies on Thompson's preferred plane?
(d) Reserve personnel.
4. In the author's estimation, how is the public beginning to view Nixon?
(a) As a snake.
(b) As a war-mongerer.
(c) As an honest gentleman.
(d) As a folk-hero.
5. Where is the second location the personnel and press are taken on election day?
(a) Voting location.
(c) A local university.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author believe Americans want and need?
2. According to those who approve of professional speech writers, what purpose do the writers serve for the politicians?
3. In "November," what begins to plague the author?
4. How does Thompson describe the unity sought by the journalists who indulged in some of the more raucous behaviors?
5. Fill in the blanks: Regarding the combination of alcohol and marijuana, one of the female reporters describes taking the drugs as the adult version of ______ and _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. In "November Concluded," what stories did Thompson tell about one of the female journalists?
2. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
3. Why is Thompson in such a dark mood in "October?"
4. Why did Ron Ziegler become Nixon's PR man?
5. During the demonstration of a previous campaign, what did Thompson realize about the police officers on the scene?
6. In what ways is Thompson introducing new readers to the world of politics?
7. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
8. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
9. How does Thompson relate the politics of the campaign to the partying of the personnel?
10. Why does the book turn into a series of dialogues and monologues after Chapter 11?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)