|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "September," what does Thompson name as being the real problem behind the shrinking middle class?
(a) Sexism and racism in the workplace.
(b) Public policy.
(c) Unfair wages.
2. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
(a) Nixon's foreign policies.
(b) McGovern's public statement about Eagleton.
(c) McGovern's sudden shift to support the continuance of Vietnam.
(d) McGovern's distrust of Eagleton.
3. In Thompson's account of the airplane arrangements, how do several people view being forced onto the Dakota Queen II?
4. For people who are uneasy with Thompson's style of political writing, what sort of writers does he suggest they follow to stay up-to-date with politics?
(a) Speech writers.
(b) Sober writers.
(c) Educated writers.
(d) Gonzo journalists.
5. When Thompson refers to "the American Dream," what class does he posit has the most at stake in believing in that ideal?
(a) The upper class.
(b) The illegal immigrants.
(c) The middle class.
(d) The lower class.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "August," what does Thompson remember from a previous campaign?
2. Why is Thompson in his present mood in "October?"
3. During the campaign Thomas reminisces about in "August," what did the police use to control the crowd?
4. During "August," from his memory of a previous campaign, what is Thompson primarily concerned about?
5. According to Thompson, what concept really controls the voting and polls in politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the behaviors exhibited by the journalists on the Zoo Plane?
2. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
3. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
4. Why do Thompson and his friend decide to resolve the Mankiewicz situation by leaving?
5. How does Eagleton affect McGovern's campaign run?
6. What are Thompson's opinions on what Americans want from their leaders?
7. Describe the confrontation between Mankiewicz and Thompson.
8. Describe the activities of election day.
9. Describe Thompson's thoughts on the Yin/Yang in regards to Nixon and McGovern.
10. What does Thompson mean when he says American politics are based on "perception and reality?"
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)