|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Thompson unable to explain about his preferred candidate in "October?"
(a) McGovern's lack of public speaking skills.
(b) McGovern's shady past.
(c) McGovern's lack of success in the polls.
(d) McGovern's inability to make a firm decision.
2. What does Thompson allude to having happened with the female reporter who indulged in both marijuana and alcohol?
(a) She slept with the pilot mid-flight.
(b) She would proposition Thompson.
(c) She would pass out in the aisle.
(d) She would partake in cocaine with Thompson.
3. Why is Thompson in his present mood in "October?"
(a) He feels McGovern is going to win.
(b) He feels McGovern is a lost cause.
(c) He knows that the election will be a tight race.
(d) He is afraid that someone will threaten McGovern.
4. What level of recognition is finally granted to Thompson during "September?"
(a) He is finally made a member of the Presidential Press Corps.
(b) He is given an award for his campaign coverage.
(c) He is allowed to travel with the politicians themselves.
(d) He is given an interview with McGovern.
5. Whom did Bobby Kennedy refer to as "the most decent man in the Senate?"
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Thompson, what unprecedented occurrence happens in October of 1972?
2. What strikes Thompson the most about Mankiewicz's recent, violent tendencies?
3. Why is McGovern not able to recover from Eagleton's omissions and lies?
4. In the author's estimation, how is the public beginning to view Nixon?
5. Who does Thompson discuss as the reason for his own disillusionment in "November Continued"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
2. Why does the book turn into a series of dialogues and monologues after Chapter 11?
3. Why is Thompson in such a dark mood in "October?"
4. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
5. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
6. What are some of the behaviors exhibited by the journalists on the Zoo Plane?
7. In "November Concluded," what stories did Thompson tell about one of the female journalists?
8. How does Thompson describe the varying roles of and attitudes toward professional speech writers?
9. How did passengers on the Zoo plane keep the politicians from boarding?
10. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)