|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens between Mankiewicz and Thompson in "August?"
(a) Thompson buys the other man a drink.
(b) Thompson is assaulted by the other man.
(c) Mankiewicz reveals some campaign secrets to Thompson.
(d) Thompson crashes his motorcycle into Mankiewicz's car.
2. How does Thompson allow his readers for the Rolling Stone to follow his journey into the political arena?
(a) He discusses both the political and party life as well as how they connect.
(b) He namedrops to keep people intrigued.
(c) He relates politics to music.
(d) He covers only the politics and none of the outside activities.
3. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
(a) The journalists.
(b) The politicians.
(c) The speech writers.
(d) The constituents.
4. In "September," what does Thompson name as being the real problem behind the shrinking middle class?
(a) Sexism and racism in the workplace.
(c) Public policy.
(d) Unfair wages.
5. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
(b) "Ballad of the Skeletons."
(c) "A Dream Deferred."
(d) "Be Angry at the Sun."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Thompson, what unprecedented occurrence happens in October of 1972?
2. During "August," what concerns are raised about Frank Mankiewicz on the campaign trail?
3. What is the name of the airplane which carries the reserve personnel during the campaign of 1972?
4. According to the subheading of "November," where is Thompson stoned?
5. Who does Thompson discuss as the reason for his own disillusionment in "November Continued"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
2. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
3. How does Thompson describe the drug use among the other journalists?
4. Why does the public find Mankowiecz so unsettling?
5. Why is Thompson the "rock-n-roll emissary" for politics?
6. Why does the book turn into a series of dialogues and monologues after Chapter 11?
7. How did passengers on the Zoo plane keep the politicians from boarding?
8. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
9. Why is Thompson in such a dark mood in "October?"
10. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)