|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thompson suggest would have helped McGovern push ahead in the polls during September 1972?
(a) A stronger stance on drug policies.
(b) A one-on-one interview with Thompson.
(c) No speechwriters.
(d) A better speechwriter.
2. According to the author, which readers does he expect will understand his decision to defuse the situation with Mankiewicz?
(c) People who have a background in fighting.
(d) Peaceful protestors.
3. In "November Continued," who is barred from flying with Thompson and the others on their plane?
(a) The politician's families.
(b) The stewardesses.
(c) The journalists.
(d) The political staff.
4. In general, who flies on Thompson's preferred plane?
(b) Reserve personnel.
5. What two archetypes does Thompson use to further his comparison of two of the candidates to the Yin/Yang?
(a) The lion and the lamb.
(b) The prince and the pauper.
(c) The brute and the liar.
(d) The thief and the murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What level of recognition is finally granted to Thompson during "September?"
2. What is the name of the airplane which carries the reserve personnel during the campaign of 1972?
3. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
4. According to those who disapprove of professional speech writers, what is revealed when politicians use these writers?
5. Fill in the blanks: Regarding the combination of alcohol and marijuana, one of the female reporters describes taking the drugs as the adult version of ______ and _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
2. How does Eagleton affect McGovern's campaign run?
3. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
4. Why does the public find Mankowiecz so unsettling?
5. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
6. What does Thompson mean when he says American politics are based on "perception and reality?"
7. How did passengers on the Zoo plane keep the politicians from boarding?
8. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
9. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
10. How does Thompson describe the passengers of Dakota Queen II?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)