|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During "August," from his memory of a previous campaign, what is Thompson primarily concerned about?
(a) Washing the gas from his eyes.
(b) Recording every badge number of every police officer who used unnecessary force.
(c) Hanging on to his bag of marijuana.
(d) Helping a young hippie get some first aid.
2. In general, who flies on Thompson's preferred plane?
(d) Reserve personnel.
3. Why is McGovern not able to recover from Eagleton's omissions and lies?
(a) Eagleton should have revealed his medical history sooner.
(b) Nixon undermined McGovern's efforts to save face.
(c) McGovern's next vice-presidential candidate was too divisive.
(d) McGovern did nothing for the public to put faith in him.
4. How does Thompson feel about Nixon's circle of people?
(a) He finds them to be worthy of respect.
(b) He finds them to be very in touch with the public.
(c) He finds them untrustworthy.
(d) He finds them to be patriotic.
5. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
(a) The manipulative person.
(b) The smarter preson.
(c) The direct person.
(d) The liar.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "November," what begins to plague the author?
2. According to those who approve of professional speech writers, what purpose do the writers serve for the politicians?
3. Why must Thompson strictly adhere to the schedule set forth by the Rolling Stone?
4. In "November Continued," who is barred from flying with Thompson and the others on their plane?
5. What is the name of the airplane which carries the reserve personnel during the campaign of 1972?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ron Ziegler become Nixon's PR man?
2. During the demonstration of a previous campaign, what did Thompson realize about the police officers on the scene?
3. Why does the book turn into a series of dialogues and monologues after Chapter 11?
4. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
5. Describe Thompson's thoughts on the Yin/Yang in regards to Nixon and McGovern.
6. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
7. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
8. How did passengers on the Zoo plane keep the politicians from boarding?
9. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
10. What does Thompson mean when he says American politics are based on "perception and reality?"
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)