|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "August," what does Thompson remember from a previous campaign?
(a) A demonstration.
(b) A concert.
(c) A be-in.
(d) A party.
2. In the author's estimation, how is the public beginning to view Nixon?
(a) As a folk-hero.
(b) As a war-mongerer.
(c) As a snake.
(d) As an honest gentleman.
3. In "November Continued," who is barred from flying with Thompson and the others on their plane?
(a) The journalists.
(b) The politician's families.
(c) The stewardesses.
(d) The political staff.
4. During "September," what does Thompson predict will happen in the election?
(a) Nixon will win.
(b) Wallace will win.
(c) McGovern will win.
(d) Kennedy will win.
5. According to Thompson, who fails to capture the public's attention because the people perceive a discrepancy between his perception and his reality?
(a) Frank Mankowiecz.
(b) George McGovern.
(c) George Wallace.
(d) Richard Nixon.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Thompson's encounter with Mankiewicz, how does the author's friend recommend they defuse the situation?
2. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
3. How does Thompson chronicle "November Concluded?"
4. According to Thompson, what concept really controls the voting and polls in politics?
5. What does Thompson explain as being the result of an intense situation in regards to the reserve personnel during a campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thompson describe the passengers of Dakota Queen II?
2. How does Thompson relate the politics of the campaign to the partying of the personnel?
3. What are some of the behaviors exhibited by the journalists on the Zoo Plane?
4. Describe Thompson's thoughts on the Yin/Yang in regards to Nixon and McGovern.
5. Describe the activities of election day.
6. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
7. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
8. What does Thompson mean when he says American politics are based on "perception and reality?"
9. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
10. Why is Thompson in such a dark mood in "October?"
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)