|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a tongue-in-cheek reference to his employment by the "Rolling Stone," how does Thompson refer to his position as a political writer?
(a) "Bob Dylan with a pen."
(b) "The Keith Richards of journalism."
(c) "Rock-n-roll emissary."
(d) "Like Hendrix without the guitar."
2. How did the passengers of Thompson's plane react to others trying to join them on their flight?
(a) The journalists welcome everyone on board.
(b) The journalists refuse entry to everyone else.
(c) The journalists force the newcomers to get high before getting on the plane.
(d) The journalists only allow other politicians on board if McGovern joins them.
3. According to the author, which readers does he expect will understand his decision to defuse the situation with Mankiewicz?
(a) Peaceful protestors.
(d) People who have a background in fighting.
4. What is the tone of "October?"
(d) Excited and nervous.
5. In "September," what does Thompson name as being the real problem behind the shrinking middle class?
(b) Unfair wages.
(c) Sexism and racism in the workplace.
(d) Public policy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the second location the personnel and press are taken on election day?
2. In "August," what does Thompson remember from a previous campaign?
3. After "November," what form does Thompson's writing take for the rest of the book?
4. What does the author believe Americans want and need?
5. How does Thompson chronicle "November Concluded?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "November Concluded," what stories did Thompson tell about one of the female journalists?
2. In what ways is Thompson introducing new readers to the world of politics?
3. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
4. Why is Thompson in such a dark mood in "October?"
5. What are some of the behaviors exhibited by the journalists on the Zoo Plane?
6. What are Thompson's opinions on what Americans want from their leaders?
7. During the demonstration of a previous campaign, what did Thompson realize about the police officers on the scene?
8. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
9. Describe the confrontation between Mankiewicz and Thompson.
10. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)