|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Above all else, why does the public lose its trust in Eagleton (and by extension, McGovern)?
(a) Eagleton was meant to be a rock for the public to lean on.
(b) McGovern did not act quickly enough in removing Eagleton.
(c) McGovern acted too harshly against Eagleton.
(d) Eagleton lied.
2. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
(a) McGovern's distrust of Eagleton.
(b) McGovern's public statement about Eagleton.
(c) McGovern's sudden shift to support the continuance of Vietnam.
(d) Nixon's foreign policies.
3. How does Thompson describe the "yin" of the Yin/Yang?
4. Where is the second location the personnel and press are taken on election day?
(a) Voting location.
(d) A local university.
5. How do people who are uninterested in politics react to Thompson's writing?
(a) They boycott Rolling Stone Magazine.
(b) They read his stories merely for gossip.
(c) The disinterested begin to follow politics.
(d) They begin to buy his books.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "September," who does Thompson believe would have supported McGovern?
2. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
3. According to Thompson, who fails to capture the public's attention because the people perceive a discrepancy between his perception and his reality?
4. Despite medical issues, what is Thompson's main concern during November?
5. In a tongue-in-cheek reference to his employment by the "Rolling Stone," how does Thompson refer to his position as a political writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon?
2. How did passengers on the Zoo plane keep the politicians from boarding?
3. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
4. Describe Thompson's thoughts on the Yin/Yang in regards to Nixon and McGovern.
5. What does Thompson believe about the middle-class?
6. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
7. In "November Concluded," what stories did Thompson tell about one of the female journalists?
8. In "August," why does Thompson discuss a demonstration he witnessed during a previous campaign?
9. Why do Thompson and his friend decide to resolve the Mankiewicz situation by leaving?
10. How does Thompson describe the passengers of Dakota Queen II?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)