|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the May primary, how does Thompson describe a politician hearing a particular sound?
(a) A cat being cornered by a dog.
(b) A fox getting caught in a trap.
(c) A vulture picking at carrion.
(d) A werewolf killing one's guard dog.
2. In what measurement of time is this book organized?
3. For whom does Thompson harbor a strange affection?
4. What is one of the reasons Thompson is so famous?
(a) Thompson marries into a famous family.
(b) He has a rebellious image, though everyone tolerates him.
(c) Thompson single-handedly calls out an entire governmental branch on their corruption.
(d) Thompson wins the Pulitzer.
5. How does Thompson assist a group of people in "January, February, into March" who informed him of their collective hatred for politicians?
(a) Changing their oil.
(b) Reconstructing the motor.
(c) Getting their car on the road.
(d) Flagging down a ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thompson prefer to do his work?
2. In this book, what is used to separate groups of paragraphs?
3. Fill in the blank: Journalists can only view ______ as being either worthy of respect or derision.
4. For what reason does Senator McCarthy visit the factory workers in "May?"
5. What is a trademark of Thompson's writing, as evidenced in "June?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thompson discuss the progressively more open drug use amongst the journalists?
2. What are some characteristics of Thompson's writing?
3. Describe the relationship between journalists and politicians.
4. In the Introduction, how does Thompson explain his drug use?
5. In "January, February, into March," how does Thompson try to fit in with the politicians and press?
6. Describe the different votes Thompson discusses in "January."
7. How do Thompson and the other journalists deal with their boredom in "May"?
8. How do the factory workers react to Senator McCarthy?
9. What does Thompson say about his toenails, and why is it important?
10. How does Jerry Rubin tarnish Thompson's reputation?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)