|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Rosey Grier not allowed to deal with Rubin's harassment on the train?
(a) It created sympathetic press for Muskie.
(b) It would not look good for him to rough up the journalists.
(c) Rubin was protected by another journalist.
(d) The other passengers threw him off the train.
2. Fill in the blank: Journalists can only view ______ as being either worthy of respect or derision.
(a) Campaign managers.
(b) Police officers.
(d) Other journalists.
3. How does Thompson prefer to do his work?
(a) With a collaborator.
(b) With heavy deadlines.
(c) Easily and slowly.
(d) In the shower.
4. Why does the author posit that politicians dismiss a certain type of vote in "January"?
(a) The members of that group usually vote for the least likely candidate.
(b) Their votes do not actually count.
(c) The vote will be as divided as the previous generation's vote.
(d) Very few members of that group will actually vote.
5. In the meeting at the ballroom, what does Thompson hypothesize as being Wallace's goal?
(a) Dividing voters.
(b) Introducing radical new ideas with traditional promises.
(c) Moving voters to another candidate.
(d) Targeting voters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thompson posit as being the source of his toenail anxiety?
2. What is one of the reasons Thompson is so famous?
3. For what is Jerry Rubin known?
4. Although Kennedy would not be likely to win the state of Georgia, what key city could he almost definitely win?
5. Who does Rubin claim will march down to the Convention Center in July?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Thompson's opinions on what Americans want from their leaders?
2. In what ways is Thompson introducing new readers to the world of politics?
3. What does Thompson believe about Southern attitudes, particularly in regards to politicians?
4. How did passengers on the Zoo plane keep the politicians from boarding?
5. At the beginning of "July," how does Thompson analyze Wallace's ease as a successful politician?
6. How do the factory workers react to Senator McCarthy?
7. In "November Concluded," what stories did Thompson tell about one of the female journalists?
8. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
9. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon?
10. How is Thompson's honesty a trademark of his writing?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)