Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Thompson, in "Dark Interludes," what does McGovern do that shows his prowess as a politician?
(a) He pardons Eagleton's lies.
(b) He uses Eagleton's medical history against him.
(c) He quickly drops Eagleton from the ticket.
(d) He publicly supports Eagleton's continuance in the campaign.
2. What writer's problem does Thompson discuss in "June"?
(a) Repetition in subject matter.
(b) Re-using one's work over and over.
(c) Writer's block.
3. In "January, February, into March," what is the reason Thompson makes several people angry with him?
(a) He is caught with hashish.
(b) He punches Mankiewicz.
(c) He gets very drunk in front of the President.
(d) He refuses to remove his hat.
4. Which Kennedy does the Democratic party consider nominating?
(a) Ted Kennedy.
(b) Patrick Kennedy.
(c) Bobby Kennedy.
(d) Joseph Kennedy.
5. After learning the mechanics of the campaign trail, how does Thompson find his travels?
(a) Pleasently routine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout "March," which politician does Thompson particularly focus on?
2. When Thompson hears a specific sound during the May primary, which group does he claim this sound would particularly distress?
3. Who does Rubin claim will march down to the Convention Center in July?
4. According to Thompson's anecdote, in "February & March," where does McCarthy go to gain favor with the working class?
5. In "May," what complaint do Thompson and other journalists have on the campaign trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thompson explain McGovern's lack of success?
2. What are Thompson's feelings about Nixon's circle of people?
3. What are some ways the author and his colleagues pass time on the airplane?
4. Describe the confrontation between Mankiewicz and Thompson.
5. Why did Ron Ziegler become Nixon's PR man?
6. What are some of the behaviors exhibited by the journalists on the Zoo Plane?
7. What are some characteristics of Thompson's writing?
8. In the early days of the campaign trail, how does Thompson's demeanor and attire compare to the other journalists?
9. Why does Thompson abruptly switch to ranting about sports at the end of this book?
10. How does Thompson describe the varying roles of and attitudes toward professional speech writers?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)