|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thompson balance his frantic writing with the long periods of boredom in "November?"
2. Despite medical issues, what is Thompson's main concern during November?
(a) He needs to go home.
(b) He needs to finish his work.
(c) He needs to vote.
(d) He needs to have a meeting with McGovern.
3. According to those who disapprove of professional speech writers, what is revealed when politicians use these writers?
(a) A lack of direct thought.
(b) The inability of people to think for themselves.
(c) False promises.
(d) The artifice of politics.
4. What did Eagleton refuse to disclose to the public and to his own party?
(a) His police records.
(b) His military records.
(c) His marriage license.
(d) Mental health records.
5. What does Thompson allude to having happened with the female reporter who indulged in both marijuana and alcohol?
(a) She would pass out in the aisle.
(b) She would proposition Thompson.
(c) She would partake in cocaine with Thompson.
(d) She slept with the pilot mid-flight.
6. Fill in the blanks: Regarding the combination of alcohol and marijuana, one of the female reporters describes taking the drugs as the adult version of ______ and _______.
(a) Caffeine and sugar.
(b) Milk and cookies.
(c) Soda and chips.
(d) Cigarettes and coffee.
7. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
(a) The liar.
(b) The direct person.
(c) The manipulative person.
(d) The smarter preson.
8. How does Thompson chronicle "November Concluded?"
(a) An outline for a new book.
(b) A timeline of events.
(c) An index for the rest of the book.
(d) The form of an interview with himself and Ed.
9. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
(a) John Kennedy.
(b) Bobby Kennedy.
(c) George McGovern.
(d) Timothy Leary.
10. What is the tone of "October?"
(c) Excited and nervous.
11. On the day of the election, where is the first place the personnel and press are taken?
(a) Voting location.
(b) A rally.
12. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
(a) Nixon's foreign policies.
(b) McGovern's public statement about Eagleton.
(c) McGovern's sudden shift to support the continuance of Vietnam.
(d) McGovern's distrust of Eagleton.
13. What is the date of election day in this book?
(a) November 4.
(b) November 7.
(c) November 6.
(d) November 5.
14. During "September," what does Thompson predict will happen in the election?
(a) Nixon will win.
(b) Wallace will win.
(c) Kennedy will win.
(d) McGovern will win.
15. In the author's estimation, how is the public beginning to view Nixon?
(a) As a war-mongerer.
(b) As an honest gentleman.
(c) As a snake.
(d) As a folk-hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the second location the personnel and press are taken on election day?
2. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
3. What does Thompson suggest would have helped McGovern push ahead in the polls during September 1972?
4. How does Thompson describe the "yin" of the Yin/Yang?
5. In the author's discussion of the ethos of American politics, what is perception?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)