|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
(a) "Be Angry at the Sun."
(b) "A Dream Deferred."
(c) "Ballad of the Skeletons."
2. In his memory of a previous campaign, what does Thompson realize about the police officers?
(a) They were deceived about danger they were facing.
(b) They were unhelpful during the demonstration.
(c) They did not wish to hurt anyone.
(d) Some helped people while others hurt people.
3. During the campaign Thomas reminisces about in "August," what did the police use to control the crowd?
(c) Riot shields.
(d) Noxious gasses.
4. Who is the author of the poem at the end of "November Concluded?"
(a) Langston Hughes.
(b) Allen Ginsberg.
(c) Robinson Jeffers.
(d) William S. Burroughs.
5. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
(a) Bobby Kennedy.
(b) John Kennedy.
(c) George McGovern.
(d) Timothy Leary.
6. Above all else, why does the public lose its trust in Eagleton (and by extension, McGovern)?
(a) McGovern acted too harshly against Eagleton.
(b) McGovern did not act quickly enough in removing Eagleton.
(c) Eagleton lied.
(d) Eagleton was meant to be a rock for the public to lean on.
7. According to the author, in what ways can deceit be considered relatively harmless?
(a) When it is used to calm the masses.
(b) When it is used to keep the peace.
(c) When it is used to claim power.
(d) When it is used to undermine another person.
8. Why did Nixon employ Ziegler?
(a) Nixon needed a more liberal counterpart.
(b) Nixon is a terrible public speaker.
(c) Nixon antagonized the press too much.
(d) Nixon needed a man with military experience.
9. At the writing of this book, what do Americans realize about politics?
(a) American votes do force change.
(b) Politicians are not really in charge.
(c) They are deceptive.
(d) Politicians cannot readily pull troops in and out of a country.
10. How many aircraft are generally used on the campaign trail?
11. After Thompson's encounter with Mankiewicz, how does the author's friend recommend they defuse the situation?
(a) Thompson should probably leave.
(b) Mankiewicz should apologize.
(c) Thompson should apologize.
(d) Mankiewicz should have a drink with Thompson.
12. In general, who flies on Thompson's preferred plane?
(c) Reserve personnel.
13. What does the author believe occurs within Nixon's organization that helps to account for Nixon's success?
(b) "Manipulative, snakey motions."
(c) "Shady moves worthy of the Mafia."
(d) "Monstrous decisions."
14. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
(a) McGovern's sudden shift to support the continuance of Vietnam.
(b) Nixon's foreign policies.
(c) McGovern's distrust of Eagleton.
(d) McGovern's public statement about Eagleton.
15. Who does Thompson discuss as the reason for his own disillusionment in "November Continued"?
Short Answer Questions
1. During "August," from his memory of a previous campaign, what is Thompson primarily concerned about?
2. Whom did Bobby Kennedy refer to as "the most decent man in the Senate?"
3. What does the author believe Americans want and need?
4. During "September," what does Thompson predict will happen in the election?
5. Why is Thompson in his present mood in "October?"
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)