|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must Thompson strictly adhere to the schedule set forth by the Rolling Stone?
(a) He has a book coming out from their press.
(b) His contractual agreements.
(c) He owes the editors of Rolling Stone many favors.
(d) He will be blacklisted if he does not.
2. What strikes Thompson the most about Mankiewicz's recent, violent tendencies?
(a) Mankiewicz has a history of violence.
(b) Mankiewicz notably claims to be anti-violence.
(c) Mankiewicz used to be a hippie.
(d) Mankiewicz was a conscientious objector for Vietnam.
3. For people who are uneasy with Thompson's style of political writing, what sort of writers does he suggest they follow to stay up-to-date with politics?
(a) Speech writers.
(b) Gonzo journalists.
(c) Sober writers.
(d) Educated writers.
4. What revelation does Thompson make to the readers about his intoxication on the airplane?
(a) The liquor on the plane is superior to his own.
(b) The other journalists are similarly high.
(c) The other journalists are only pretending to be stoned.
(d) The atmospheric change sobers him up.
5. In "August," what does Thompson remember from a previous campaign?
(a) A be-in.
(b) A demonstration.
(c) A concert.
(d) A party.
6. What does the author believe Americans want and need?
(a) Leaders who will take power away from the government.
(b) Leaders who have military experience.
(c) Leaders who are representatives of America's reality.
(d) Leaders who will take power away from the public.
7. What plane does Thompson decide better fits his personality in "November Continued?"
(a) Zoo Plane.
(b) Dakota Queen II.
(c) Air Force Three.
(d) Kingsport One.
8. How does Thompson describe the "yin" of the Yin/Yang?
9. Why did Nixon employ Ziegler?
(a) Nixon needed a man with military experience.
(b) Nixon antagonized the press too much.
(c) Nixon needed a more liberal counterpart.
(d) Nixon is a terrible public speaker.
10. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
(a) Perception and reality.
(b) Ink and blood.
(c) Truth and lies.
(d) Smoke and mirrors.
11. In Miami in 1972, how do the sit-ins and protests compare to Thompson's experiences on other campaign trails?
(a) They are much wilder.
(b) They are poorly organized.
(c) They are completely effective.
(d) They are extremely mild.
12. What is particularly noteworthy of Thompson's writing style, in regards to the tales of his and his colleagues more indulgent behavior?
(a) Omission of details.
(b) Disdain for drug addiction.
(d) Meticulous editing.
13. Who is Ron Ziegler?
(a) Nixon's personal PR representative.
(b) Nixon's vice-president.
(c) Nixon's secretary of state.
(d) Nixon's speech writer.
14. As a result of what happened between Mankiewicz and Thompson in "August," what do Thompson and his friend suspect Mankiewicz will do in the near-future?
(a) Mankiewicz will likely apologize.
(b) Mankiewicz will owe Thompson a favor in return for not reporting him.
(c) Mankiewicz will pretend nothing ever happened.
(d) Mankiewicz will return to assault Thompson again.
15. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
(a) The manipulative person.
(b) The liar.
(c) The smarter preson.
(d) The direct person.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many aircraft are generally used on the campaign trail?
2. How did the passengers of Thompson's plane react to others trying to join them on their flight?
3. In "November Continued," who is barred from flying with Thompson and the others on their plane?
4. Why is Thompson in his present mood in "October?"
5. Who does Thompson discuss as the reason for his own disillusionment in "November Continued"?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)