|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Thompson, what concept really controls the voting and polls in politics?
(a) The intensity a politician will bring to a speech.
(b) The stance on the Vietnam War.
(c) Perception of the candidate.
(d) How well the politicians can speak.
2. During "August," from his memory of a previous campaign, what is Thompson primarily concerned about?
(a) Washing the gas from his eyes.
(b) Recording every badge number of every police officer who used unnecessary force.
(c) Hanging on to his bag of marijuana.
(d) Helping a young hippie get some first aid.
3. What is the name of the airplane which carries the reserve personnel during the campaign of 1972?
(a) Air Force Three.
(b) Zoo Plane.
(c) Dakota Queen II.
(d) Kingsport One.
4. At the writing of this book, what do Americans realize about politics?
(a) American votes do force change.
(b) Politicians are not really in charge.
(c) Politicians cannot readily pull troops in and out of a country.
(d) They are deceptive.
5. In "August," what does Thompson remember from a previous campaign?
(a) A demonstration.
(b) A concert.
(c) A party.
(d) A be-in.
6. According to those who disapprove of professional speech writers, what is revealed when politicians use these writers?
(a) The artifice of politics.
(b) False promises.
(c) The inability of people to think for themselves.
(d) A lack of direct thought.
7. In Thompson's own words, what does he initially admit to believing about Mankiewicz?
(a) Mankiewicz is a coward.
(b) Mankiewicz is justified in his actions against the author.
(c) Mankiewicz is a pansy.
(d) Mankiewicz is a gentleman.
8. Who is the author of the poem at the end of "November Concluded?"
(a) Robinson Jeffers.
(b) William S. Burroughs.
(c) Allen Ginsberg.
(d) Langston Hughes.
9. What does Thompson combine with whiskey in "November?"
10. According to the subheading of "November," where is Thompson stoned?
(a) A Hotel.
(b) A Press conference.
(c) A football game.
(d) The Zoo Plane.
11. In general, who flies on Thompson's preferred plane?
(b) Reserve personnel.
12. After "November," what form does Thompson's writing take for the rest of the book?
(a) Conversational monologues.
(b) Scrawled notes.
(d) Bullet points.
13. On the day of the election, where is the first place the personnel and press are taken?
(a) A rally.
(c) Voting location.
14. How many aircraft are generally used on the campaign trail?
15. On the louder of the two planes in "November Continued," what does Thompson say is present?
(a) Illegal drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "September," what does Thompson name as being the real problem behind the shrinking middle class?
2. In Thompson's account of the airplane arrangements, how do several people view being forced onto the Dakota Queen II?
3. What strikes Thompson the most about Mankiewicz's recent, violent tendencies?
4. What is the tone of "October?"
5. What two archetypes does Thompson use to further his comparison of two of the candidates to the Yin/Yang?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)