|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two people does Thompson compare to the Yin/Yang?
(a) Nixon and McGovern.
(b) Kennedy and McCarthy.
(c) Wallace and Muskie.
(d) Mankiewicz and Ziegler.
2. Who is Ron Ziegler?
(a) Nixon's personal PR representative.
(b) Nixon's speech writer.
(c) Nixon's secretary of state.
(d) Nixon's vice-president.
3. How does Thompson describe the unity sought by the journalists who indulged in some of the more raucous behaviors?
(a) "A pathetic attempt to unify us as one."
(b) "Rock-n-roll journey politick."
(c) "Gonzo journalism."
(d) "Rock-n-roll lifestyle compressed to a typewriter."
4. Why is McGovern not able to recover from Eagleton's omissions and lies?
(a) McGovern's next vice-presidential candidate was too divisive.
(b) Eagleton should have revealed his medical history sooner.
(c) Nixon undermined McGovern's efforts to save face.
(d) McGovern did nothing for the public to put faith in him.
5. In what way did the passengers on Thompson's plane assure their own entry?
(a) They would bring a drug to be shared.
(b) They would get drunk before the flight.
(c) They would claim a certain seat.
(d) They would arm-wrestle for a seat.
6. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
(b) "Be Angry at the Sun."
(c) "Ballad of the Skeletons."
(d) "A Dream Deferred."
7. How many aircraft are generally used on the campaign trail?
8. What strikes Thompson the most about Mankiewicz's recent, violent tendencies?
(a) Mankiewicz used to be a hippie.
(b) Mankiewicz notably claims to be anti-violence.
(c) Mankiewicz has a history of violence.
(d) Mankiewicz was a conscientious objector for Vietnam.
9. What happens between Mankiewicz and Thompson in "August?"
(a) Thompson buys the other man a drink.
(b) Thompson is assaulted by the other man.
(c) Mankiewicz reveals some campaign secrets to Thompson.
(d) Thompson crashes his motorcycle into Mankiewicz's car.
10. What does the author believe occurs within Nixon's organization that helps to account for Nixon's success?
(a) "Monstrous decisions."
(c) "Manipulative, snakey motions."
(d) "Shady moves worthy of the Mafia."
11. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
(a) Nixon's foreign policies.
(b) McGovern's distrust of Eagleton.
(c) McGovern's public statement about Eagleton.
(d) McGovern's sudden shift to support the continuance of Vietnam.
12. In "November," what begins to plague the author?
(c) Tingling in his limbs.
(d) Irregular heartbeats.
13. How do people who are uninterested in politics react to Thompson's writing?
(a) The disinterested begin to follow politics.
(b) They begin to buy his books.
(c) They boycott Rolling Stone Magazine.
(d) They read his stories merely for gossip.
14. What does the author believe Americans want and need?
(a) Leaders who will take power away from the public.
(b) Leaders who are representatives of America's reality.
(c) Leaders who have military experience.
(d) Leaders who will take power away from the government.
15. In "November Continued," who is barred from flying with Thompson and the others on their plane?
(a) The stewardesses.
(b) The journalists.
(c) The political staff.
(d) The politician's families.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
2. How did the passengers of Thompson's plane react to others trying to join them on their flight?
3. According to those who disapprove of professional speech writers, what is revealed when politicians use these writers?
4. According to the author, in what ways can deceit be considered relatively harmless?
5. Above all else, why does the public lose its trust in Eagleton (and by extension, McGovern)?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)