|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Thompson discuss as the reason for his own disillusionment in "November Continued"?
2. In Thompson's account of the airplane arrangements, how do several people view being forced onto the Dakota Queen II?
3. What does Thompson explain as being the result of an intense situation in regards to the reserve personnel during a campaign?
(a) The people isolate themselves.
(b) The people act out.
(c) The people grow touchier.
(d) The people begin to rebel against their tight schedule.
4. How did the passengers of Thompson's plane react to others trying to join them on their flight?
(a) The journalists refuse entry to everyone else.
(b) The journalists force the newcomers to get high before getting on the plane.
(c) The journalists welcome everyone on board.
(d) The journalists only allow other politicians on board if McGovern joins them.
5. In the author's discussion of the ethos of American politics, what is perception?
(a) The way a person will emulate another.
(b) The way a person appears to be.
(c) The way a person tries to behave.
(d) The way a person actually is.
6. What does Thompson allude to having happened with the female reporter who indulged in both marijuana and alcohol?
(a) She would proposition Thompson.
(b) She would pass out in the aisle.
(c) She slept with the pilot mid-flight.
(d) She would partake in cocaine with Thompson.
7. According to those who disapprove of professional speech writers, what is revealed when politicians use these writers?
(a) The inability of people to think for themselves.
(b) A lack of direct thought.
(c) The artifice of politics.
(d) False promises.
8. How does Thompson feel about Nixon's circle of people?
(a) He finds them to be very in touch with the public.
(b) He finds them to be worthy of respect.
(c) He finds them to be patriotic.
(d) He finds them untrustworthy.
9. What revelation does Thompson make to the readers about his intoxication on the airplane?
(a) The liquor on the plane is superior to his own.
(b) The other journalists are only pretending to be stoned.
(c) The other journalists are similarly high.
(d) The atmospheric change sobers him up.
10. What is the name of the airplane which carries the reserve personnel during the campaign of 1972?
(a) Dakota Queen II.
(b) Air Force Three.
(c) Kingsport One.
(d) Zoo Plane.
11. On the day of the election, where is the first place the personnel and press are taken?
(a) Voting location.
(c) A rally.
12. According to Thompson, what unprecedented occurrence happens in October of 1972?
(a) The Republicans and Democrats began to work together.
(b) The hippies began to support Nixon.
(c) The Democrats turned their back on McGovern.
(d) Nixon became incredibly popular with the public.
13. What is the tone of "October?"
(b) Excited and nervous.
14. What strikes Thompson the most about Mankiewicz's recent, violent tendencies?
(a) Mankiewicz was a conscientious objector for Vietnam.
(b) Mankiewicz used to be a hippie.
(c) Mankiewicz has a history of violence.
(d) Mankiewicz notably claims to be anti-violence.
15. Who is Ron Ziegler?
(a) Nixon's vice-president.
(b) Nixon's secretary of state.
(c) Nixon's personal PR representative.
(d) Nixon's speech writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his memory of a previous campaign, what does Thompson realize about the police officers?
2. In a tongue-in-cheek reference to his employment by the "Rolling Stone," how does Thompson refer to his position as a political writer?
3. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
4. In "August," what does Thompson remember from a previous campaign?
5. For people who are uneasy with Thompson's style of political writing, what sort of writers does he suggest they follow to stay up-to-date with politics?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)