|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
(a) Ink and blood.
(b) Truth and lies.
(c) Smoke and mirrors.
(d) Perception and reality.
2. According to Thompson, what unprecedented occurrence happens in October of 1972?
(a) Nixon became incredibly popular with the public.
(b) The Republicans and Democrats began to work together.
(c) The hippies began to support Nixon.
(d) The Democrats turned their back on McGovern.
3. What is the name of the airplane which carries the reserve personnel during the campaign of 1972?
(a) Kingsport One.
(b) Zoo Plane.
(c) Air Force Three.
(d) Dakota Queen II.
4. Where is the second location the personnel and press are taken on election day?
(a) Voting location.
(c) A local university.
5. Who does Thompson discuss as the reason for his own disillusionment in "November Continued"?
6. In Thompson's account of the airplane arrangements, how do several people view being forced onto the Dakota Queen II?
7. What did Eagleton refuse to disclose to the public and to his own party?
(a) His police records.
(b) Mental health records.
(c) His military records.
(d) His marriage license.
8. In his memory of a previous campaign, what does Thompson realize about the police officers?
(a) They did not wish to hurt anyone.
(b) They were deceived about danger they were facing.
(c) They were unhelpful during the demonstration.
(d) Some helped people while others hurt people.
9. What are some of the activities that take place on the wilder plane during the campaign?
(a) Sex in the aisles.
(b) Fighting over seating arrangements.
(d) Smoking during take off.
10. What level of recognition is finally granted to Thompson during "September?"
(a) He is allowed to travel with the politicians themselves.
(b) He is given an interview with McGovern.
(c) He is finally made a member of the Presidential Press Corps.
(d) He is given an award for his campaign coverage.
11. According to Thompson, who fails to capture the public's attention because the people perceive a discrepancy between his perception and his reality?
(a) Frank Mankowiecz.
(b) George McGovern.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) George Wallace.
12. During the campaign Thomas reminisces about in "August," what did the police use to control the crowd?
(c) Noxious gasses.
(d) Riot shields.
13. During "August," from his memory of a previous campaign, what is Thompson primarily concerned about?
(a) Helping a young hippie get some first aid.
(b) Recording every badge number of every police officer who used unnecessary force.
(c) Washing the gas from his eyes.
(d) Hanging on to his bag of marijuana.
14. What two people does Thompson compare to the Yin/Yang?
(a) Mankiewicz and Ziegler.
(b) Wallace and Muskie.
(c) Kennedy and McCarthy.
(d) Nixon and McGovern.
15. Above all else, why does the public lose its trust in Eagleton (and by extension, McGovern)?
(a) Eagleton was meant to be a rock for the public to lean on.
(b) Eagleton lied.
(c) McGovern did not act quickly enough in removing Eagleton.
(d) McGovern acted too harshly against Eagleton.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
2. While traveling on airplanes, what does the author break?
3. What does the author believe occurs within Nixon's organization that helps to account for Nixon's success?
4. According to Thompson, what concept really controls the voting and polls in politics?
5. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)