|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, which readers does he expect will understand his decision to defuse the situation with Mankiewicz?
(b) People who have a background in fighting.
(d) Peaceful protestors.
2. For people who are uneasy with Thompson's style of political writing, what sort of writers does he suggest they follow to stay up-to-date with politics?
(a) Gonzo journalists.
(b) Educated writers.
(c) Speech writers.
(d) Sober writers.
3. What happens between Mankiewicz and Thompson in "August?"
(a) Mankiewicz reveals some campaign secrets to Thompson.
(b) Thompson crashes his motorcycle into Mankiewicz's car.
(c) Thompson buys the other man a drink.
(d) Thompson is assaulted by the other man.
4. How does Thompson describe the "yin" of the Yin/Yang?
5. What plane does Thompson decide better fits his personality in "November Continued?"
(a) Kingsport One.
(b) Air Force Three.
(c) Dakota Queen II.
(d) Zoo Plane.
6. How does Thompson describe the unity sought by the journalists who indulged in some of the more raucous behaviors?
(a) "Rock-n-roll lifestyle compressed to a typewriter."
(b) "A pathetic attempt to unify us as one."
(c) "Rock-n-roll journey politick."
(d) "Gonzo journalism."
7. Fill in the blanks: Regarding the combination of alcohol and marijuana, one of the female reporters describes taking the drugs as the adult version of ______ and _______.
(a) Soda and chips.
(b) Cigarettes and coffee.
(c) Caffeine and sugar.
(d) Milk and cookies.
8. In Thompson's own words, what does he initially admit to believing about Mankiewicz?
(a) Mankiewicz is a coward.
(b) Mankiewicz is justified in his actions against the author.
(c) Mankiewicz is a pansy.
(d) Mankiewicz is a gentleman.
9. According to Thompson, what is the death knell for the campaign?
(a) McGovern's public statement about Eagleton.
(b) McGovern's distrust of Eagleton.
(c) Nixon's foreign policies.
(d) McGovern's sudden shift to support the continuance of Vietnam.
10. Why is McGovern not able to recover from Eagleton's omissions and lies?
(a) Nixon undermined McGovern's efforts to save face.
(b) McGovern's next vice-presidential candidate was too divisive.
(c) McGovern did nothing for the public to put faith in him.
(d) Eagleton should have revealed his medical history sooner.
11. After "November," what form does Thompson's writing take for the rest of the book?
(a) Bullet points.
(b) Scrawled notes.
(c) Conversational monologues.
12. Whom did Bobby Kennedy refer to as "the most decent man in the Senate?"
13. Who is Ron Ziegler?
(a) Nixon's speech writer.
(b) Nixon's vice-president.
(c) Nixon's secretary of state.
(d) Nixon's personal PR representative.
14. What two archetypes does Thompson use to further his comparison of two of the candidates to the Yin/Yang?
(a) The prince and the pauper.
(b) The lion and the lamb.
(c) The brute and the liar.
(d) The thief and the murderer.
15. As a result of what happened between Mankiewicz and Thompson in "August," what do Thompson and his friend suspect Mankiewicz will do in the near-future?
(a) Mankiewicz will return to assault Thompson again.
(b) Mankiewicz will owe Thompson a favor in return for not reporting him.
(c) Mankiewicz will pretend nothing ever happened.
(d) Mankiewicz will likely apologize.
Short Answer Questions
1. During "August," what concerns are raised about Frank Mankiewicz on the campaign trail?
2. What revelation does Thompson make to the readers about his intoxication on the airplane?
3. What does the author believe Americans want and need?
4. How does Thompson feel about Nixon's circle of people?
5. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)