|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
(a) The speech writers.
(b) The politicians.
(c) The constituents.
(d) The journalists.
2. According to the author, which readers does he expect will understand his decision to defuse the situation with Mankiewicz?
(a) Peaceful protestors.
(d) People who have a background in fighting.
3. What does Thompson suggest would have helped McGovern push ahead in the polls during September 1972?
(a) A stronger stance on drug policies.
(b) No speechwriters.
(c) A better speechwriter.
(d) A one-on-one interview with Thompson.
4. According to Thompson, who fails to capture the public's attention because the people perceive a discrepancy between his perception and his reality?
(a) Frank Mankowiecz.
(b) George Wallace.
(c) George McGovern.
(d) Richard Nixon.
5. In "September," who does Thompson believe would have supported McGovern?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Sitting Bull.
(c) Amelia Earhart.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
6. What strikes Thompson the most about Mankiewicz's recent, violent tendencies?
(a) Mankiewicz notably claims to be anti-violence.
(b) Mankiewicz was a conscientious objector for Vietnam.
(c) Mankiewicz has a history of violence.
(d) Mankiewicz used to be a hippie.
7. What is the name of the airplane which carries the reserve personnel during the campaign of 1972?
(a) Kingsport One.
(b) Dakota Queen II.
(c) Air Force Three.
(d) Zoo Plane.
8. When Thompson refers to "the American Dream," what class does he posit has the most at stake in believing in that ideal?
(a) The middle class.
(b) The upper class.
(c) The lower class.
(d) The illegal immigrants.
9. In the author's estimation, how is the public beginning to view Nixon?
(a) As an honest gentleman.
(b) As a snake.
(c) As a folk-hero.
(d) As a war-mongerer.
10. During "September," what does Thompson predict will happen in the election?
(a) Nixon will win.
(b) Kennedy will win.
(c) McGovern will win.
(d) Wallace will win.
11. In Miami in 1972, how do the sit-ins and protests compare to Thompson's experiences on other campaign trails?
(a) They are much wilder.
(b) They are extremely mild.
(c) They are poorly organized.
(d) They are completely effective.
12. Whom did Bobby Kennedy refer to as "the most decent man in the Senate?"
13. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
(a) John Kennedy.
(b) Bobby Kennedy.
(c) Timothy Leary.
(d) George McGovern.
14. Where is the second location the personnel and press are taken on election day?
(b) A local university.
(d) Voting location.
15. In "September," what does Thompson name as being the real problem behind the shrinking middle class?
(a) Public policy.
(b) Sexism and racism in the workplace.
(d) Unfair wages.
Short Answer Questions
1. During "August," from his memory of a previous campaign, what is Thompson primarily concerned about?
2. What is the date of election day in this book?
3. What revelation does Thompson make to the readers about his intoxication on the airplane?
4. What two archetypes does Thompson use to further his comparison of two of the candidates to the Yin/Yang?
5. How many aircraft are generally used on the campaign trail?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)