|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date of election day in this book?
(a) November 6.
(b) November 4.
(c) November 5.
(d) November 7.
2. According to the author, in what ways can deceit be considered relatively harmless?
(a) When it is used to keep the peace.
(b) When it is used to calm the masses.
(c) When it is used to claim power.
(d) When it is used to undermine another person.
3. In the author's discussion of the ethos of American politics, what is perception?
(a) The way a person actually is.
(b) The way a person appears to be.
(c) The way a person tries to behave.
(d) The way a person will emulate another.
4. What level of recognition is finally granted to Thompson during "September?"
(a) He is given an interview with McGovern.
(b) He is finally made a member of the Presidential Press Corps.
(c) He is given an award for his campaign coverage.
(d) He is allowed to travel with the politicians themselves.
5. During the campaign Thomas reminisces about in "August," what did the police use to control the crowd?
(a) Riot shields.
(c) Noxious gasses.
6. How did the passengers of Thompson's plane react to others trying to join them on their flight?
(a) The journalists only allow other politicians on board if McGovern joins them.
(b) The journalists welcome everyone on board.
(c) The journalists refuse entry to everyone else.
(d) The journalists force the newcomers to get high before getting on the plane.
7. Whom did Bobby Kennedy refer to as "the most decent man in the Senate?"
8. What does Thompson suggest would have helped McGovern push ahead in the polls during September 1972?
(a) No speechwriters.
(b) A one-on-one interview with Thompson.
(c) A better speechwriter.
(d) A stronger stance on drug policies.
9. What revelation does Thompson make to the readers about his intoxication on the airplane?
(a) The liquor on the plane is superior to his own.
(b) The atmospheric change sobers him up.
(c) The other journalists are similarly high.
(d) The other journalists are only pretending to be stoned.
10. What does the author believe occurs within Nixon's organization that helps to account for Nixon's success?
(a) "Monstrous decisions."
(b) "Shady moves worthy of the Mafia."
(c) "Manipulative, snakey motions."
11. How does Thompson describe the unity sought by the journalists who indulged in some of the more raucous behaviors?
(a) "A pathetic attempt to unify us as one."
(b) "Rock-n-roll journey politick."
(c) "Gonzo journalism."
(d) "Rock-n-roll lifestyle compressed to a typewriter."
12. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
(a) The direct person.
(b) The smarter preson.
(c) The liar.
(d) The manipulative person.
13. What plane does Thompson decide better fits his personality in "November Continued?"
(a) Kingsport One.
(b) Air Force Three.
(c) Dakota Queen II.
(d) Zoo Plane.
14. What does Thompson explain as being the result of an intense situation in regards to the reserve personnel during a campaign?
(a) The people grow touchier.
(b) The people isolate themselves.
(c) The people begin to rebel against their tight schedule.
(d) The people act out.
15. How does Thompson allow his readers for the Rolling Stone to follow his journey into the political arena?
(a) He covers only the politics and none of the outside activities.
(b) He namedrops to keep people intrigued.
(c) He relates politics to music.
(d) He discusses both the political and party life as well as how they connect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nixon employ Ziegler?
2. In a tongue-in-cheek reference to his employment by the "Rolling Stone," how does Thompson refer to his position as a political writer?
3. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
4. What happens between Mankiewicz and Thompson in "August?"
5. When Thompson refers to "the American Dream," what class does he posit has the most at stake in believing in that ideal?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)