|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a tongue-in-cheek reference to his employment by the "Rolling Stone," how does Thompson refer to his position as a political writer?
(a) "The Keith Richards of journalism."
(b) "Bob Dylan with a pen."
(c) "Rock-n-roll emissary."
(d) "Like Hendrix without the guitar."
2. According to Thompson, who fails to capture the public's attention because the people perceive a discrepancy between his perception and his reality?
(a) Frank Mankowiecz.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) George McGovern.
(d) George Wallace.
3. What strikes Thompson the most about Mankiewicz's recent, violent tendencies?
(a) Mankiewicz notably claims to be anti-violence.
(b) Mankiewicz was a conscientious objector for Vietnam.
(c) Mankiewicz used to be a hippie.
(d) Mankiewicz has a history of violence.
4. What is the date of election day in this book?
(a) November 4.
(b) November 7.
(c) November 5.
(d) November 6.
5. During "August," what concerns are raised about Frank Mankiewicz on the campaign trail?
(a) Mankiewicz is increasingly more volatile.
(b) Mankiewicz is intoxicated in public too often.
(c) Mankiewicz cannot handle publicity.
(d) Mankiewicz is not tough enough on McGovern.
6. How many aircraft are generally used on the campaign trail?
7. In Miami in 1972, how do the sit-ins and protests compare to Thompson's experiences on other campaign trails?
(a) They are poorly organized.
(b) They are extremely mild.
(c) They are completely effective.
(d) They are much wilder.
8. Above all else, why does the public lose its trust in Eagleton (and by extension, McGovern)?
(a) McGovern did not act quickly enough in removing Eagleton.
(b) Eagleton lied.
(c) Eagleton was meant to be a rock for the public to lean on.
(d) McGovern acted too harshly against Eagleton.
9. Who is Ron Ziegler?
(a) Nixon's vice-president.
(b) Nixon's speech writer.
(c) Nixon's personal PR representative.
(d) Nixon's secretary of state.
10. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
(a) The speech writers.
(b) The constituents.
(c) The politicians.
(d) The journalists.
11. What is particularly noteworthy of Thompson's writing style, in regards to the tales of his and his colleagues more indulgent behavior?
(b) Disdain for drug addiction.
(c) Meticulous editing.
(d) Omission of details.
12. On the louder of the two planes in "November Continued," what does Thompson say is present?
(d) Illegal drugs.
13. How does Thompson balance his frantic writing with the long periods of boredom in "November?"
14. Whom did Bobby Kennedy refer to as "the most decent man in the Senate?"
15. In the author's discussion of the ethos of American politics, what is perception?
(a) The way a person actually is.
(b) The way a person appears to be.
(c) The way a person tries to behave.
(d) The way a person will emulate another.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
2. What does Thompson suggest would have helped McGovern push ahead in the polls during September 1972?
3. During the campaign Thomas reminisces about in "August," what did the police use to control the crowd?
4. In Thompson's account of the airplane arrangements, how do several people view being forced onto the Dakota Queen II?
5. According to Thompson, what concept really controls the voting and polls in politics?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)