|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the day of the election, where is the first place the personnel and press are taken?
(c) Voting location.
(d) A rally.
2. What are some of the activities that take place on the wilder plane during the campaign?
(a) Smoking during take off.
(b) Fighting over seating arrangements.
(c) Sex in the aisles.
3. Where is the second location the personnel and press are taken on election day?
(a) Voting location.
(b) A local university.
4. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
(a) Ink and blood.
(b) Truth and lies.
(c) Smoke and mirrors.
(d) Perception and reality.
5. What two people does Thompson compare to the Yin/Yang?
(a) Wallace and Muskie.
(b) Nixon and McGovern.
(c) Mankiewicz and Ziegler.
(d) Kennedy and McCarthy.
6. After Thompson's encounter with Mankiewicz, how does the author's friend recommend they defuse the situation?
(a) Mankiewicz should have a drink with Thompson.
(b) Thompson should probably leave.
(c) Thompson should apologize.
(d) Mankiewicz should apologize.
7. Fill in the blanks: Regarding the combination of alcohol and marijuana, one of the female reporters describes taking the drugs as the adult version of ______ and _______.
(a) Caffeine and sugar.
(b) Cigarettes and coffee.
(c) Milk and cookies.
(d) Soda and chips.
8. What does Thompson combine with whiskey in "November?"
9. Despite medical issues, what is Thompson's main concern during November?
(a) He needs to have a meeting with McGovern.
(b) He needs to vote.
(c) He needs to go home.
(d) He needs to finish his work.
10. Above all else, why does the public lose its trust in Eagleton (and by extension, McGovern)?
(a) Eagleton lied.
(b) Eagleton was meant to be a rock for the public to lean on.
(c) McGovern acted too harshly against Eagleton.
(d) McGovern did not act quickly enough in removing Eagleton.
11. In a tongue-in-cheek reference to his employment by the "Rolling Stone," how does Thompson refer to his position as a political writer?
(a) "The Keith Richards of journalism."
(b) "Like Hendrix without the guitar."
(c) "Rock-n-roll emissary."
(d) "Bob Dylan with a pen."
12. Who does Thompson discuss as the reason for his own disillusionment in "November Continued"?
13. What does Thompson explain as being the result of an intense situation in regards to the reserve personnel during a campaign?
(a) The people begin to rebel against their tight schedule.
(b) The people isolate themselves.
(c) The people grow touchier.
(d) The people act out.
14. According to the subheading of "November," where is Thompson stoned?
(a) A Press conference.
(b) A Hotel.
(c) A football game.
(d) The Zoo Plane.
15. How does Thompson balance his frantic writing with the long periods of boredom in "November?"
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way did the passengers on Thompson's plane assure their own entry?
2. How does Thompson describe the unity sought by the journalists who indulged in some of the more raucous behaviors?
3. Who is Ron Ziegler?
4. Whom did Bobby Kennedy refer to as "the most decent man in the Senate?"
5. Who is the author of the poem at the end of "November Concluded?"
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)