|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
(a) The speech writers.
(b) The constituents.
(c) The politicians.
(d) The journalists.
2. What is Thompson unable to explain about his preferred candidate in "October?"
(a) McGovern's inability to make a firm decision.
(b) McGovern's lack of success in the polls.
(c) McGovern's shady past.
(d) McGovern's lack of public speaking skills.
3. What happens between Mankiewicz and Thompson in "August?"
(a) Thompson buys the other man a drink.
(b) Thompson crashes his motorcycle into Mankiewicz's car.
(c) Mankiewicz reveals some campaign secrets to Thompson.
(d) Thompson is assaulted by the other man.
4. What two people does Thompson compare to the Yin/Yang?
(a) Nixon and McGovern.
(b) Kennedy and McCarthy.
(c) Wallace and Muskie.
(d) Mankiewicz and Ziegler.
5. Despite medical issues, what is Thompson's main concern during November?
(a) He needs to vote.
(b) He needs to go home.
(c) He needs to finish his work.
(d) He needs to have a meeting with McGovern.
6. In Miami in 1972, how do the sit-ins and protests compare to Thompson's experiences on other campaign trails?
(a) They are much wilder.
(b) They are completely effective.
(c) They are poorly organized.
(d) They are extremely mild.
7. In "November Continued," who is barred from flying with Thompson and the others on their plane?
(a) The stewardesses.
(b) The politician's families.
(c) The journalists.
(d) The political staff.
8. While traveling on airplanes, what does the author break?
(c) The passenger rules.
9. After "November," what form does Thompson's writing take for the rest of the book?
(a) Scrawled notes.
(b) Conversational monologues.
(c) Bullet points.
10. Why did Nixon employ Ziegler?
(a) Nixon antagonized the press too much.
(b) Nixon needed a more liberal counterpart.
(c) Nixon is a terrible public speaker.
(d) Nixon needed a man with military experience.
11. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
(a) "A Dream Deferred."
(b) "Ballad of the Skeletons."
(c) "Be Angry at the Sun."
12. What strikes Thompson the most about Mankiewicz's recent, violent tendencies?
(a) Mankiewicz was a conscientious objector for Vietnam.
(b) Mankiewicz notably claims to be anti-violence.
(c) Mankiewicz has a history of violence.
(d) Mankiewicz used to be a hippie.
13. What is particularly noteworthy of Thompson's writing style, in regards to the tales of his and his colleagues more indulgent behavior?
(a) Disdain for drug addiction.
(b) Omission of details.
(d) Meticulous editing.
14. How does Thompson feel about Nixon's circle of people?
(a) He finds them to be patriotic.
(b) He finds them untrustworthy.
(c) He finds them to be very in touch with the public.
(d) He finds them to be worthy of respect.
15. At the writing of this book, what do Americans realize about politics?
(a) Politicians are not really in charge.
(b) American votes do force change.
(c) They are deceptive.
(d) Politicians cannot readily pull troops in and out of a country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author believe occurs within Nixon's organization that helps to account for Nixon's success?
2. During "August," from his memory of a previous campaign, what is Thompson primarily concerned about?
3. What does Thompson allude to having happened with the female reporter who indulged in both marijuana and alcohol?
4. How did the passengers of Thompson's plane react to others trying to join them on their flight?
5. Above all else, why does the public lose its trust in Eagleton (and by extension, McGovern)?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)