Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the poem that ends "November Concluded?"
(a) "Ballad of the Skeletons."
(b) "Be Angry at the Sun."
(d) "A Dream Deferred."
2. Fill in the blanks: According to Thompson, American politics have changed from being based on "charisma" to "_______ and ________."
(a) Ink and blood.
(b) Truth and lies.
(c) Smoke and mirrors.
(d) Perception and reality.
3. Who does Thompson quote when he says, "Richard Nixon represents the dark side of the American spirit?"
(a) Timothy Leary.
(b) Bobby Kennedy.
(c) George McGovern.
(d) John Kennedy.
4. According to Thompson, what sort of person is considered to be more of the "yang" in the Yin/Yang?
(a) The smarter preson.
(b) The liar.
(c) The manipulative person.
(d) The direct person.
5. In what way did the passengers on Thompson's plane assure their own entry?
(a) They would get drunk before the flight.
(b) They would arm-wrestle for a seat.
(c) They would claim a certain seat.
(d) They would bring a drug to be shared.
6. In the author's estimation, how is the public beginning to view Nixon?
(a) As a folk-hero.
(b) As an honest gentleman.
(c) As a snake.
(d) As a war-mongerer.
7. How does Thompson balance his frantic writing with the long periods of boredom in "November?"
8. During the flight in "November," to whom is Thompson referring when he discusses "rebellion amongst the docile"?
(a) The speech writers.
(b) The constituents.
(c) The politicians.
(d) The journalists.
9. What two people does Thompson compare to the Yin/Yang?
(a) Kennedy and McCarthy.
(b) Wallace and Muskie.
(c) Nixon and McGovern.
(d) Mankiewicz and Ziegler.
10. In general, who flies on Thompson's preferred plane?
(b) Reserve personnel.
11. What does the author believe Americans want and need?
(a) Leaders who have military experience.
(b) Leaders who are representatives of America's reality.
(c) Leaders who will take power away from the government.
(d) Leaders who will take power away from the public.
12. At the writing of this book, what do Americans realize about politics?
(a) Politicians cannot readily pull troops in and out of a country.
(b) American votes do force change.
(c) They are deceptive.
(d) Politicians are not really in charge.
13. During "September," what does Thompson predict will happen in the election?
(a) Kennedy will win.
(b) Nixon will win.
(c) McGovern will win.
(d) Wallace will win.
14. In Thompson's own words, what does he initially admit to believing about Mankiewicz?
(a) Mankiewicz is a coward.
(b) Mankiewicz is justified in his actions against the author.
(c) Mankiewicz is a pansy.
(d) Mankiewicz is a gentleman.
15. In "November Continued," who is barred from flying with Thompson and the others on their plane?
(a) The journalists.
(b) The stewardesses.
(c) The political staff.
(d) The politician's families.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blanks: Regarding the combination of alcohol and marijuana, one of the female reporters describes taking the drugs as the adult version of ______ and _______.
2. What plane does Thompson decide better fits his personality in "November Continued?"
3. Who is Ron Ziegler?
4. According to the subheading of "November," where is Thompson stoned?
5. In "November Continued," what is the reputation of the journalists Thompson travels with?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)