|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When covering political stories, how does Thompson generally feel around large groups of unconnected people who cannot mix well?
(c) At ease.
2. With which group does George Wallace apparently have the most affinity?
(a) The factory workers.
(b) The middle-classes.
(c) The rich businessmen.
(d) The students.
3. What writer's problem does Thompson discuss in "June"?
(a) Re-using one's work over and over.
(b) Repetition in subject matter.
(c) Writer's block.
4. After learning the mechanics of the campaign trail, how does Thompson find his travels?
(b) Pleasently routine.
5. Fill in the blank: Journalists can only view ______ as being either worthy of respect or derision.
(a) Other journalists.
(b) Campaign managers.
(d) Police officers.
6. During "January," what does Thompson say was inappropriate during the previous social setting?
(a) Whether to bring a date or not.
(b) His clothing.
(c) The socialites who would be present.
(d) The date of the event.
7. Which demographic does the Democratic party worry about reaching if they do not have a Kennedy?
(a) African Americans.
8. Who does the younger generation tend to vote like?
(a) The previous generation.
(b) The celebrities.
(c) The current President.
(d) The most exposed candidate.
9. What catches Thompson's attention at the primary in early May?
(a) A fax machine.
(b) Fifty typewriters being used at once.
(c) A news report.
(d) A song.
10. How does Thompson describe the Washington D.C. journalists in "January?"
(a) They dress in a vintage style.
(b) They dress like bank tellers.
(c) They dress in denim.
(d) They dress all in black.
11. According to Thompson, in "January," who beat Johnson in New Hampshire?
(a) The Muskie voters.
(b) The McCarthy voters.
(c) The Nixon voters.
(d) The Wallace voters.
12. Why is Thompson concerned about his toenails?
(a) They are growing in a different color.
(b) They are flaking away.
(c) They are not growing.
(d) They are growing too quickly.
13. According to Thompson, what group was responsible for settling the South?
(a) The wealthy.
14. In "July," in the ballroom, what reaction do the constituents have towards George Wallace?
(a) They are not happy with what Wallace was saying.
(b) They boo Wallace out of the ballroom.
(c) They embrace him as their own.
(d) They take his statements and promises seriously and give him their support.
15. What does Thompson openly acknowledge about his work in "February & March?"
(a) His demograph is not exactly widespread.
(b) His lack of insight.
(c) His own biases.
(d) His lack of skill.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this book, what is used to separate groups of paragraphs?
2. At the time of this book, who employed Thompson?
3. To what does Thompson compare an American campaign trail?
4. To what does Thompson compare the writer's problem he discusses in "June?"
5. In "May," what complaint do Thompson and other journalists have on the campaign trail?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)