|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry get a job at the beginning of this section?
2. What is the name of Henry's new landlady?
3. What does Henry say is worth seeing at Montie's cafe?
4. What is Henry's position at the Graphic Cherub Art Supply?
5. What is the name of the park where Henry stalls his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry find attractive about Jan?
2. How does Henry cure his itching crotch?
3. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
4. How does Jan react to Henry's reappearance in section nine?
5. Describe Mary Lou.
6. How does Henry lose his job at the auto brakes company?
7. Summarize the fifth section.
8. Why does the Yellow Cab Company sack Henry?
9. Describe Henry's job at the bicycle shop.
10. What is Henry's attitude at his job at the Times newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Bukowski identify with the American social system? What are the arguments for and against developing a better social system? How has the American social system changed since the 70s?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Bukowski's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Bukowski's argument?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)