|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jan making when Henry is caught stealing?
2. What does Henry buy with his winnings?
3. What is Herman Barnes' role at The Times?
4. Where does Henry go to try and get a reporting job?
5. What is the name of the tiny black man at Henry's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
2. What is Janeway Smithson's role at the Yellow Cab Company?
3. What is Henry's role in the clothing store?
4. How does Henry react to Mr. Adams' death?
5. Why does Mr. Hansen fire Henry?
6. Summarize the eight section.
7. How do Henry's glowing pants change his mindset and eventually his life situation?
8. How does Henry lose his job at the auto brakes company?
9. How does Jan react to Henry's reappearance in section nine?
10. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 2005, Bent Hamer directed a film version of FACTOTUM starring Matt Dillon. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What problems does Bukowski identify with the American social system? What are the arguments for and against developing a better social system? How has the American social system changed since the 70s?
Essay Topic 3
What is Henry's attitude towards work? Why has Henry has developed this attitude? What kind of job would Henry enjoy and excel at?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)