|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brad say Henry should not talk to?
2. Whose record does Henry say he will break?
3. What newspaper offers Henry a job in maintenance?
4. What nickname does Jan give Henry in this section?
5. What is Henry caught stealing in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the fifth section.
2. How did Henry lose his favorite job working for the Red Cross?
3. Why does the Yellow Cab Company sack Henry?
4. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
5. How does Henry break Pop's world record in the tenth section?
6. What is Henry's excuse for walking funny?
7. Summarize the eight section.
8. What is Henry's attitude at his job at the Times newspaper?
9. How does Henry cure his itching crotch?
10. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Bukowski identify with the American social system? What are the arguments for and against developing a better social system? How has the American social system changed since the 70s?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
In 2005, Bent Hamer directed a film version of FACTOTUM starring Matt Dillon. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)