|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Yellow Cab Company require as part of its application process?
2. Where do Henry and Laura steal cigarettes from?
3. What does Henry say he discovers in the fabric of a pair of pants?
4. What is Jan making when Henry is caught stealing?
5. How does Henry describe Mr. Hansen?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Chinaski's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Chinaski hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Chinaski's ideas about life?
3. How has Chinaski's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Bukowski view the post war society? What impact has his writing had on literature? Has his impact been mainly positive or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)