|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura like to cook when they can afford it?
2. What is the name of the warehouse owner?
3. What does Endicot do for a living?
4. What is the name of the cafe where Henry goes for a drink?
5. What music does Henry listen to in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)