|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What track do Manny and Henry drive to after work?
2. What does Jan make for Henry's penis in this section?
3. What is Henry caught stealing in this section?
4. How does Henry describe Mr. Hansen?
5. What does Henry say he looks like as he emerges in great pain from the bathroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)