|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George Fellows' nickname?
2. What is the name of the cafe where Henry goes for a drink?
3. What does Henry say he discovers in the fabric of a pair of pants?
4. What track do Manny and Henry drive to after work?
5. What test does Henry fail in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jan react to Henry's reappearance in section nine?
2. What is Henry's role in the clothing store?
3. How does Henry cure his itching crotch?
4. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
5. How does Henry break Pop's world record in the tenth section?
6. What is Henry's excuse for walking funny?
7. How does Henry lose his job at the auto brakes company?
8. How does Henry get fired from his job as a janitor?
9. Why does the Yellow Cab Company sack Henry?
10. Summarize the fifth section.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Bukowski's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Bukowski's argument?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Chinaski's life:
1. His father.
4. Tim Hunter.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)