|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Jan give Henry in this section?
2. What is the name of the warehouse owner?
3. What does Henry's boss at the automobile company order him not to do at work?
4. What kind of music does Henry like to listen to at home?
5. What part of Henry's body is itching in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
2. What is Henry's role in the clothing store?
3. Why does Henry find the Japanese girl attractive?
4. How does Jan react to Henry's reappearance in section nine?
5. Why does Mr. Hansen fire Henry?
6. How did Henry lose his favorite job working for the Red Cross?
7. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
8. Describe Henry's job at the bicycle shop.
9. How do Henry's glowing pants change his mindset and eventually his life situation?
10. How does Henry react to Mr. Adams' death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Chinaski's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Chinaski hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Chinaski's ideas about life?
3. How has Chinaski's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)