|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smithson say he will teach the men?
2. What does Henry leave the house to buy at the end of this section?
3. What does Henry notice about Jan's hair in the morning?
4. What does Henry tell Mrs. Adam his job is?
5. What is the name of the cafe where Henry goes for a drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Henry lose his favorite job working for the Red Cross?
2. Summarize the eight section.
3. Why does Mr. Hansen fire Henry?
4. How does Henry react to Mr. Adams' death?
5. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
6. What is Janeway Smithson's role at the Yellow Cab Company?
7. Who does Henry work with at the bicycle shop?
8. What are the perks of Henry's new job?
9. Why does the Yellow Cab Company sack Henry?
10. Describe Henry's job at the bicycle shop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Chinaski's life:
1. His father.
4. Tim Hunter.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)