|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry describe Mr. Hansen?
2. What does Henry's boss at the automobile company order him not to do at work?
3. What does Jan make for Henry's penis in this section?
4. What does Smithson say he will teach the men?
5. What is Herman Barnes' role at The Times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
2. How does Henry break Pop's world record in the tenth section?
3. What are the perks of Henry's new job?
4. How did Henry lose his favorite job working for the Red Cross?
5. How do Henry's glowing pants change his mindset and eventually his life situation?
6. Why does Henry find the Japanese girl attractive?
7. Describe Mary Lou.
8. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
9. What does Henry find attractive about Jan?
10. What is Henry's attitude at his job at the Times newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Bukowski view the post war society? What impact has his writing had on literature? Has his impact been mainly positive or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukoski represent sex? How did people in the 70s perceive Bukowski's representations of sex? How do people today perceive Bukowski's representations of sex?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)