|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Vera prostitute herself in?
2. What is Henry's position at the Graphic Cherub Art Supply?
3. What is Jan's role at the Durham hotel?
4. What does Mrs. Adams say Henry needs?
5. What does Henry tell Mrs. Adam his job is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the fifth section.
2. Why does Henry find the Japanese girl attractive?
3. Who does Henry work with at the bicycle shop?
4. What does Henry find attractive about Jan?
5. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
6. What are the perks of Henry's new job?
7. What is Henry's excuse for walking funny?
8. How does Henry lose his job at the auto brakes company?
9. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
10. Why does Mr. Hansen fire Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)