|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry describe Mr. Hansen?
2. What excites Henry about Jan?
3. Where does Henry see a job ad?
4. What is the name of the horse Manny suggests will win?
5. What does Henry like to bet on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
2. Describe Henry's job at the bicycle shop.
3. Why does Mr. Hansen fire Henry?
4. How does Henry react to Mr. Adams' death?
5. How does Henry cure his itching crotch?
6. What is Henry's excuse for walking funny?
7. What are the perks of Henry's new job?
8. Why does Henry find the Japanese girl attractive?
9. Summarize the fifth section.
10. How do Henry and Jan start living their lives after Henry is sacked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the American dream? What does FACTOTUM say about the American dream? What is Bukowski's opinion of the American dream?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukoski represent sex? How did people in the 70s perceive Bukowski's representations of sex? How do people today perceive Bukowski's representations of sex?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)