|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Jan give Henry in this section?
2. What music does Henry listen to in this chapter?
3. What is the name of the dignified banker in this section?
4. What is Henry's position at the Graphic Cherub Art Supply?
5. Which of his possessions does Henry tell Jan to keep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's role in the clothing store?
2. Summarize the eight section.
3. How does Henry break Pop's world record in the tenth section?
4. How did Henry lose his favorite job working for the Red Cross?
5. Summarize the fifth section.
6. How does Henry cure his itching crotch?
7. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
8. Describe Mary Lou.
9. How does Henry react to Mr. Adams' death?
10. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Bukowski view the post war society? What impact has his writing had on literature? Has his impact been mainly positive or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Bukowski develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)