|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry go to try and get a reporting job?
2. When does Henry say he prefers sex?
3. What music does Henry listen to in this chapter?
4. What country is Hector's wife from?
5. What kind of beer does Henry buy at the end of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hansen fire Henry?
2. How do Henry's glowing pants change his mindset and eventually his life situation?
3. How does Henry lose his job at the auto brakes company?
4. What is Henry's excuse for walking funny?
5. How does Henry cure his itching crotch?
6. Why does the Yellow Cab Company sack Henry?
7. What is Janeway Smithson's role at the Yellow Cab Company?
8. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
9. How does Henry break Pop's world record in the tenth section?
10. How does Jan react to Henry's reappearance in section nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Bukowski's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Bukowski's argument?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)