|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excites Henry about Jan?
2. Where does Henry meet Jan?
3. What does Smithson say he will teach the men?
4. How does Henry describe his role at the clothing store?
5. What does Henry use to clean the sidewalk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Janeway Smithson's role at the Yellow Cab Company?
2. How do Henry and Jan start living their lives after Henry is sacked?
3. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
4. What is Henry's excuse for walking funny?
5. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
6. Why does Henry find the Japanese girl attractive?
7. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
8. How does Jan react to Henry's reappearance in section nine?
9. Why does the Yellow Cab Company sack Henry?
10. How does Henry lose his job at the auto brakes company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Bukowski view the post war society? What impact has his writing had on literature? Has his impact been mainly positive or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 2
In 2005, Bent Hamer directed a film version of FACTOTUM starring Matt Dillon. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)