|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Henry travel to at the beginning of this section?
2. What does the Yellow Cab Company require as part of its application process?
3. What does Henry leave the house to buy at the end of this section?
4. What is Henry caught stealing in this section?
5. What does Henry use to clean the sidewalk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Janeway Smithson's role at the Yellow Cab Company?
2. How did Henry lose his favorite job working for the Red Cross?
3. Summarize the fifth section.
4. Summarize the eight section.
5. How do Henry's glowing pants change his mindset and eventually his life situation?
6. Why does Mr. Hansen fire Henry?
7. How does Henry get fired from his job as a janitor?
8. How does Henry react to Mr. Adams' death?
9. Who does Henry work with at the bicycle shop?
10. How does Henry cure his itching crotch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)