|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary Lou have sex with Bud?
2. What is the name of Henry's boss at the Yellow Cab Company?
3. Where does Jan drive Henry to?
4. When does Laura like to have sex?
5. When does Henry say he prefers sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hansen fire Henry?
2. What is Henry's attitude at his job at the Times newspaper?
3. How does Henry get fired from his job as a janitor?
4. What is Henry's excuse for walking funny?
5. How did Henry lose his favorite job working for the Red Cross?
6. Why does the Yellow Cab Company sack Henry?
7. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
8. How do Henry and Jan start living their lives after Henry is sacked?
9. Summarize the eight section.
10. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Chinaski's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Chinaski hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Chinaski's ideas about life?
3. How has Chinaski's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What problems does Bukowski identify with the American social system? What are the arguments for and against developing a better social system? How has the American social system changed since the 70s?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)