|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alabam like to attack when he is drunk?
2. What does the Yellow Cab Company require as part of its application process?
3. What is the name of Henry's boss at the Yellow Cab Company?
4. What sport was Manny a star in his youth?
5. Where does a poor clerk meet a rich girl in Henry's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Yellow Cab Company sack Henry?
2. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
3. Summarize the fifth section.
4. How does Henry break Pop's world record in the tenth section?
5. How does Henry get fired from his job as a janitor?
6. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
7. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
8. How does Henry react to Mr. Adams' death?
9. Who does Henry work with at the bicycle shop?
10. Why does Henry find the Japanese girl attractive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Bukowski develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
Essay Topic 3
What is the American dream? What does FACTOTUM say about the American dream? What is Bukowski's opinion of the American dream?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)