|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry say he first realized he was an idiot?
2. What does Laura like to cook when they can afford it?
3. What track do Manny and Henry drive to after work?
4. What does Henry say he wants to ride towards a virginal fourteen-year-old?
5. What is Jan's role at the Durham hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's excuse for walking funny?
2. How do Henry's glowing pants change his mindset and eventually his life situation?
3. How does Henry lose his job at the auto brakes company?
4. How do Henry and Jan start living their lives after Henry is sacked?
5. Summarize the eight section.
6. What are the perks of Henry's new job?
7. What is Henry's attitude at his job at the Times newspaper?
8. What is Henry's role in the clothing store?
9. How does Henry cure his itching crotch?
10. Describe Henry's job at the bicycle shop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Bukowski view the post war society? What impact has his writing had on literature? Has his impact been mainly positive or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)