|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry say he first realized he was an idiot?
2. What author does Henry read on the way to Miami?
3. Where does Henry get a job at the beginning of this section?
4. What sport was Manny a star in his youth?
5. What does Mrs. Adams say Henry needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hansen fire Henry?
2. How did Henry lose his favorite job working for the Red Cross?
3. How does Jan react to Henry's reappearance in section nine?
4. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
5. Why does Henry find the Japanese girl attractive?
6. Describe Henry's job at the bicycle shop.
7. Why does the Yellow Cab Company sack Henry?
8. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
9. What is Henry's attitude at his job at the Times newspaper?
10. What does Henry find attractive about Jan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Chinaski's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Chinaski hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Chinaski's ideas about life?
3. How has Chinaski's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bukoski represent sex? How did people in the 70s perceive Bukowski's representations of sex? How do people today perceive Bukowski's representations of sex?
Essay Topic 3
What does Bukowski express about liberty in his novel? In what ways are Bukowski and his career an example of American liberty?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)