|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first job Chinaski applies for?
2. What is Gertrude's room full of?
3. What is the job Chinaski turns down?
4. What does Henry contemplate doing as he waits alone in his room?
5. What does the bartender offer Henry as long as he is working?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie die in the fifth section?
2. Summarize the second section.
3. How does Billy-Boy help Henry in the third section?
4. What is Henry's first job in New York?
5. How does Henry meet Laura?
6. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
7. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
8. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
9. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
10. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bukoski represent sex? How did people in the 70s perceive Bukowski's representations of sex? How do people today perceive Bukowski's representations of sex?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)