|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry say Gertrude's eyes make him feel?
2. Why does Chinaski not shave before the job interview?
3. What does Henry cash in to get money?
4. What has Willie strewn across his apartment floor?
5. When is the only time Willie will allow his girls to drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henry's friends help him in the third section?
2. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
3. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
4. Describe Henry's first two days in New York.
5. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
6. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
7. Summarize the fourth section.
8. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
9. How does Willie die in the fifth section?
10. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
Essay Topic 3
What does Bukowski express about liberty in his novel? In what ways are Bukowski and his career an example of American liberty?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)