|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cafe opposite Chinaski's room?
2. What does Henry plead guilty to?
3. Where does Henry find work in this section?
4. What color hair does the woman sitting next to Henry at the bar have?
5. In what city does Henry swap trains?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Henry trying to develop his writing career in the fourth section?
2. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
3. How do Henry's friends help him in the third section?
4. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
5. Summarize the fourth section.
6. Summarize the second section.
7. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
8. What does Henry do in El Paso?
9. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
10. What is Henry's opinion of New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Bukowski develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)