|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry fetch for someone at the bar?
2. What color hair does the woman sitting next to Henry at the bar have?
3. What city does Henry head for at the beginning of this section?
4. What material is Chinaski's suitcase made from?
5. What does Henry say the bar nearest to his apartment smells like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie die in the fifth section?
2. How do Henry's friends help him in the third section?
3. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
4. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
5. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
6. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
7. Why does Willie like Henry?
8. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
9. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
10. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Chinaski's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Chinaski hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Chinaski's ideas about life?
3. How has Chinaski's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What is Henry's attitude towards work? Why has Henry has developed this attitude? What kind of job would Henry enjoy and excel at?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)