|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry sleep for three or four days?
2. What does the bartender offer Henry as long as he is working?
3. How does Henry describe the man who has to show him his job at the factory?
4. What does Henry vomit on when he gets home?
5. What do the men on the train receive from the train company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
2. How is Henry trying to develop his writing career in the fourth section?
3. What bet does Henry make in the opening chapter?
4. Why does Willie like Henry?
5. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
6. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
7. What does Henry do in El Paso?
8. What is Willie's relationship with the three girls?
9. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
10. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Chinaski's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Chinaski hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Chinaski's ideas about life?
3. How has Chinaski's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Bukowski develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Chinaski's life:
1. His father.
4. Tim Hunter.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)