|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry plead guilty to?
2. What part of Willie's body is missing?
3. What has Henry been sending to magazines three times a week?
4. Where does Henry go once he has money?
5. Where does the blond woman take Henry to after the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Willie like Henry?
2. Summarize the fifth section.
3. How does Henry lose his job at the auto brakes company?
4. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
5. How does Henry break Pop's world record in the tenth section?
6. What is Henry's attitude at his job at the Times newspaper?
7. How does Henry get fired from his job as a janitor?
8. Describe Mary Lou.
9. Summarize the second section.
10. What does Carson Gentry make Henry understand about life in the fourth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Bukowski view the post war society? What impact has his writing had on literature? Has his impact been mainly positive or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Bukowski's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Bukowski's argument?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)