|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hilda do when Getrude introduces Henry to her?
2. What city does Chinaski arrive in at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Henry have to put up in the subways?
4. What does Laura say Willie throws at them when they get drunk?
5. In what city does Henry swap trains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
2. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
3. Summarize the second section.
4. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
5. What is Henry's first job in New York?
6. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
7. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
8. What does Carson Gentry make Henry understand about life in the fourth section?
9. How does Billy-Boy help Henry in the third section?
10. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does Bukowski identify with the American social system? What are the arguments for and against developing a better social system? How has the American social system changed since the 70s?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)