|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Henry travel to at the beginning of this section?
2. Where does the blond woman take Henry to after the bar?
3. What is the name of Laura's street?
4. What is Gertrude's room full of?
5. What color hair does the woman sitting next to Henry at the bar have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
2. How do Henry's friends help him in the third section?
3. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
4. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
5. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
6. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
7. Summarize the fourth section.
8. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
9. What is Henry's opinion of New York?
10. How does Willie die in the fifth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)