|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine does Clay Gladmore own?
2. What state does Henry travel to after New Orleans?
3. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
4. Where does Henry take a job in this section?
5. Why does Chinaski not shave before the job interview?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's opinion of New York?
2. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
3. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
4. How does Billy-Boy help Henry in the third section?
5. What is Henry's first job in New York?
6. How does Henry meet Laura?
7. What does Henry do in El Paso?
8. How do Henry's friends help him in the third section?
9. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
10. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bukoski represent sex? How did people in the 70s perceive Bukowski's representations of sex? How do people today perceive Bukowski's representations of sex?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)