|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job Chinaski turns down?
2. What does Henry cash in to get money?
3. What does Henry's father criticize Henry for not doing?
4. Where does Henry sleep for three or four days?
5. What is the name of Henry's landlady in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
2. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
3. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
4. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
5. Describe Henry's first two days in New York.
6. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
7. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
8. How is Henry trying to develop his writing career in the fourth section?
9. What is Willie's relationship with the three girls?
10. How does Willie die in the fifth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Bukowski develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Bukowski's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Bukowski's argument?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)