|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material is Chinaski's suitcase made from?
2. What is the first job Chinaski applies for?
3. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
4. What does Gertrude reveal to Henry in this section?
5. Why does Henry decide to quit his job as a driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
2. Describe Henry's first two days in New York.
3. What is Henry's first job in New York?
4. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
5. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
6. How does Henry meet Laura?
7. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
8. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
9. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
10. How does Martha upset Henry in the second section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Bukowski develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)