|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gertrude's room full of?
2. What has Willie strewn across his apartment floor?
3. Where does Henry travel to at the beginning of Chapter 23?
4. Who is Willie's main girl?
5. What kind of alcohol does Henry say he enjoys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's job at the bicycle shop.
2. What is Henry's attitude at his job at the Times newspaper?
3. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
4. How does Henry cure his itching crotch?
5. How does Christine cope with Henry's non-appearance at the Christmas party?
6. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
7. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
8. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
9. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
10. What is Henry's first job in New York?
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Chinaski's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Chinaski hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Chinaski's ideas about life?
3. How has Chinaski's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)