|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first job Chinaski applies for?
2. What is the name of Henry's old college friend?
3. What is the name of the cafe opposite Chinaski's room?
4. Why does Chinaski not shave before the job interview?
5. What does Henry vow to be in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
2. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
3. What does Henry do in El Paso?
4. Summarize the fourth section.
5. What is Henry's opinion of New York?
6. How does Martha upset Henry in the second section?
7. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
8. How is Henry trying to develop his writing career in the fourth section?
9. What bet does Henry make in the opening chapter?
10. What is Willie's relationship with the three girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bukoski represent sex? How did people in the 70s perceive Bukowski's representations of sex? How do people today perceive Bukowski's representations of sex?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of Bukowski's previous books and contrast it with FACTOTUM in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)