|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bartender offer Henry as long as he is working?
2. Why does Chinaski not shave before the job interview?
3. What is Gertrude's room full of?
4. Where does Henry go once he has money?
5. What is Carson Gentry's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Willie like Henry?
2. How is Henry trying to develop his writing career in the fourth section?
3. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
4. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
5. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
6. Describe Henry's first two days in New York.
7. What is Willie's relationship with the three girls?
8. How do Henry's friends help him in the third section?
9. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
10. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Henry's attitude towards work? Why has Henry has developed this attitude? What kind of job would Henry enjoy and excel at?
Essay Topic 2
What does Bukowski express about liberty in his novel? In what ways are Bukowski and his career an example of American liberty?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)