|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drops in to see Henry with a bottle of wine?
2. What does Henry's mother rip his face with?
3. What does Henry cash in to get money?
4. What does Henry do every night after work?
5. What is the name of the cafe opposite Chinaski's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
2. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
3. What does Maurice tell Henry in the tenth section?
4. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
5. What does Henry do in El Paso?
6. Describe Henry's meeting with Darlene.
7. What are the perks of Henry's new job?
8. Who does Henry work with at the bicycle shop?
9. What does Carson Gentry make Henry understand about life in the fourth section?
10. Summarize the eight section.
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Bukowski's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Bukowski's argument?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)