|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Henry's old college friend?
2. What is Carson Gentry's job?
3. What kind of hat does Willie wear while driving his car?
4. Who is receiving $50 a month from Willie for the rest of her life?
5. What transport does Henry take to his parents' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
2. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
3. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
4. What is Willie's relationship with the three girls?
5. Describe Henry's first two days in New York.
6. Summarize the second section.
7. What does Carson Gentry make Henry understand about life in the fourth section?
8. Why does Willie like Henry?
9. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
10. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What problems does Bukowski identify with the American social system? What are the arguments for and against developing a better social system? How has the American social system changed since the 70s?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Chinaski's life:
1. His father.
4. Tim Hunter.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)