|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry take a job in this section?
2. What does Henry have to put up in the subways?
3. What kind of alcohol does Henry say he enjoys?
4. Who is Willie's main girl?
5. What color is the cellar Henry works in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
2. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
3. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
4. How does Henry meet Laura?
5. Summarize the second section.
6. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
7. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
8. How does Martha upset Henry in the second section?
9. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
10. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)