|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry smoke with Carson Gentry?
2. What kind of music does Henry listen to while his parents are away?
3. What is the name of the cafe opposite Chinaski's room?
4. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
5. What do the men on the train receive from the train company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henry and Jan start living their lives after Henry is sacked?
2. What does Henry find attractive about Jan?
3. Why is Henry fired at the beginning of the final section?
4. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
5. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
6. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
7. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
8. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
9. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
10. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
Essay Topic 1
What is the American dream? What does FACTOTUM say about the American dream? What is Bukowski's opinion of the American dream?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is Henry's attitude towards work? Why has Henry has developed this attitude? What kind of job would Henry enjoy and excel at?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)