|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the cellar Henry works in?
2. What is Carson Gentry's job?
3. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
4. What kind of music does Henry listen to while his parents are away?
5. What is the name of Henry's landlady in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carson Gentry make Henry understand about life in the fourth section?
2. What does Smithson tell the men he will teach them?
3. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
4. Why does Willie like Henry?
5. What is Henry's attitude at his job at the Times newspaper?
6. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
7. Why is Henry fired at the beginning of the final section?
8. Summarize the fifth section.
9. How does Billy-Boy help Henry in the third section?
10. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
Essay Topic 2
What does Bukowski express about liberty in his novel? In what ways are Bukowski and his career an example of American liberty?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Bukowski's previous books and contrast it with FACTOTUM in terms of the following:
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)