Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry smoke with Carson Gentry?
2. What kind of music does Henry listen to while his parents are away?
3. What is the name of the cafe opposite Chinaski's room?
4. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
5. What do the men on the train receive from the train company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henry and Jan start living their lives after Henry is sacked?
2. What does Henry find attractive about Jan?
3. Why is Henry fired at the beginning of the final section?
4. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
5. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
6. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
7. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
8. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
9. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
10. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Chinaski's life:
1. His father.
4. Tim Hunter.
How did Bukowski view the post war society? What impact has his writing had on literature? Has his impact been mainly positive or mainly negative?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)