Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry smoke with Carson Gentry?
2. What kind of music does Henry listen to while his parents are away?
3. What is the name of the cafe opposite Chinaski's room?
4. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
5. What do the men on the train receive from the train company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henry and Jan start living their lives after Henry is sacked?
2. What does Henry find attractive about Jan?
3. Why is Henry fired at the beginning of the final section?
4. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
5. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
6. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
7. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
8. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
9. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
10. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
What problems does Bukowski identify with the American social system? What are the arguments for and against developing a better social system? How has the American social system changed since the 70s?
Examine the construction of Bukowski's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Bukowski's argument?
Compare Chinaski's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Chinaski hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Chinaski's ideas about life?
3. How has Chinaski's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)