Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry smoke with Carson Gentry?
2. What kind of music does Henry listen to while his parents are away?
3. What is the name of the cafe opposite Chinaski's room?
4. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
5. What do the men on the train receive from the train company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henry and Jan start living their lives after Henry is sacked?
2. What does Henry find attractive about Jan?
3. Why is Henry fired at the beginning of the final section?
4. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
5. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
6. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
7. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
8. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
9. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
10. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)