|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cafe opposite Chinaski's room?
2. What does Laura say Willie throws at them when they get drunk?
3. What kind of bar is Bar O?
4. What color hair does the woman sitting next to Henry at the bar have?
5. Why does Henry decide to quit his job as a driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha upset Henry in the second section?
2. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
3. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
4. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
5. Summarize the fourth section.
6. Describe Henry's first two days in New York.
7. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
8. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
9. What bet does Henry make in the opening chapter?
10. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Bukowski express about liberty in his novel? In what ways are Bukowski and his career an example of American liberty?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What is Henry's attitude towards work? Why has Henry has developed this attitude? What kind of job would Henry enjoy and excel at?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)