|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first job Chinaski applies for?
2. Who drives Henry home from the bar?
3. What kind of bar is Bar O?
4. What does Henry's mother rip his face with?
5. Where does Henry sleep for three or four days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
2. What does Henry do in El Paso?
3. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
4. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
5. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
6. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
7. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
8. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
9. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
10. How does Billy-Boy help Henry in the third section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Bukowski develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Bukowski's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Bukowski's argument?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukoski represent sex? How did people in the 70s perceive Bukowski's representations of sex? How do people today perceive Bukowski's representations of sex?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)