|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the blond woman's name?
2. What does Henry pawn in this section?
3. What does Henry plead guilty to?
4. What does Hilda do when Getrude introduces Henry to her?
5. Who does Henry give his hotel ticket to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
2. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
3. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
4. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
5. Why does Henry decide it is time to go back to Los Angeles?
6. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
7. Summarize the second section.
8. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
9. What does Carson Gentry make Henry understand about life in the fourth section?
10. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
What does Bukowski express about liberty in his novel? In what ways are Bukowski and his career an example of American liberty?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Chinaski's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Chinaski hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Chinaski's ideas about life?
3. How has Chinaski's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)