|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry tell the interviewer is his real job?
2. Where does Henry sleep the night?
3. Where does Henry sleep for three or four days?
4. What is the first job Chinaski applies for?
5. Who does Henry claim not to like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy-Boy help Henry in the third section?
2. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
3. How does Willie die in the fifth section?
4. What bet does Henry make in the opening chapter?
5. What does Henry promise himself in the fourth section?
6. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
7. How do Henry's friends help him in the third section?
8. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
9. How does Martha upset Henry in the second section?
10. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Chinaski's life:
1. His father.
4. Tim Hunter.
Essay Topic 2
What is the American dream? What does FACTOTUM say about the American dream? What is Bukowski's opinion of the American dream?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)