|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry decide to quit his job as a driver?
2. What does Henry smoke with Carson Gentry?
3. What material is Chinaski's suitcase made from?
4. What kind of bar is Bar O?
5. Why does Chinaski not shave before the job interview?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
2. What does Henry do in El Paso?
3. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
4. How is Henry trying to develop his writing career in the fourth section?
5. Describe Henry Chinaski's character.
6. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
7. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
8. How do Henry's friends help him in the third section?
9. How does Billy-Boy help Henry in the third section?
10. What is Willie's relationship with the three girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Henry's attitude towards work? Why has Henry has developed this attitude? What kind of job would Henry enjoy and excel at?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of Bukowski's previous books and contrast it with FACTOTUM in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)