|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Henry travel to at the beginning of this section?
2. Where does the blond woman take Henry to after the bar?
3. What is Gertrude's room full of?
4. Why does Chinaski not shave before the job interview?
5. Who does Henry give his hotel ticket to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
2. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
3. Summarize the fourth section.
4. What is Henry's first job in New York?
5. How do Henry's friends help him in the third section?
6. Describe Henry's first two days in New York.
7. How does Billy-Boy help Henry in the third section?
8. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
9. Why does Willie like Henry?
10. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Bukowski's previous books and contrast it with FACTOTUM in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
In 2005, Bent Hamer directed a film version of FACTOTUM starring Matt Dillon. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote FACTOTUM in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)