|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the cellar Henry works in?
2. Why does Chinaski not shave before the job interview?
3. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
4. Why does Henry decide to quit his job as a driver?
5. What has Henry been sending to magazines three times a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's frame of mind when he arrives in New Orleans?
2. Summarize the fourth section.
3. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
4. What does Henry do while drunk with his friend, Tim Hunter?
5. What does Henry do in El Paso?
6. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
7. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
8. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
9. What does Carson Gentry make Henry understand about life in the fourth section?
10. How does Willie die in the fifth section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Bukowski develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bukowski represent alcoholism in his novel? How does Chinaski's habit affect his daily life? What kind of person would Chinaski have been without the alcoholism?
Essay Topic 3
In 2005, Bent Hamer directed a film version of FACTOTUM starring Matt Dillon. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)