|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the bartender offer Henry as long as he is working?
(a) Free drinks.
(b) Free bar snacks.
(c) Choice of women.
(d) Choice of music.
2. What kind of biscuits are made at the factory where Henry works?
(a) Cream biscuits.
(b) Dog biscuits.
(c) Chocolate biscuits.
(d) Cheese biscuits.
3. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
(c) Eagle like.
4. What does Henry smoke with Carson Gentry?
(d) Pipe tobacco.
5. What city does Chinaski arrive in at the beginning of the book?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Willie strewn across his apartment floor?
2. What does Willie say he needs for his opera?
3. Where does Henry sleep the night?
4. What does Henry plead guilty to?
5. Where does the blond woman take Henry to after the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the fourth section.
2. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
3. Why does Willie like Henry?
4. How does Henry meet Gertrude?
5. Summarize the second section.
6. What is Henry's first job in New York?
7. How is Henry trying to develop his writing career in the fourth section?
8. How does a relationship develop between Henry and Gertrude?
9. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
10. Describe Willie Oxnard's house?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)