Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry smoke with Carson Gentry?
(b) Pipe tobacco.
2. What kind of music does Henry listen to while his parents are away?
(a) Symphony music.
(b) Film music.
(c) Cabaret music.
(d) Rock music.
3. What is the name of the cafe opposite Chinaski's room?
(a) The Gangplank Cafe.
(b) The Barfly Cafe.
(c) The Pirate Cafe.
(d) The Bukowski's Cafe.
4. How does Henry describe Gertrude's nose?
(c) Eagle like.
5. What do the men on the train receive from the train company?
(a) A night in a bar.
(b) Music and party food.
(c) Money for food and room.
(d) Tickets for food and a room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bartender offer Henry as long as he is working?
2. What does Henry cash in to get money?
3. What does Hilda do when Getrude introduces Henry to her?
4. What does Henry pawn in this section?
5. What transport does Henry take to his parents' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henry and Jan start living their lives after Henry is sacked?
2. What does Henry find attractive about Jan?
3. Why is Henry fired at the beginning of the final section?
4. What does Henry think of New York when he first arrives?
5. How does Henry anger his parents in the second section?
6. Describe Henry's job in the ladies dress shop.
7. How does Willie's death affect the girls?
8. How does Henry lose his job at the dog biscuit factory?
9. Why does Henry suddenly become interested in clothes in the eighth section?
10. What does Henry do while his parents are away?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)