|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Janie and Reeve stop to spend an intimate night together?
2. What vehicle do Janie and Reeve get stopped behind in chapter 11?
3. Which item does Reeve take with him, that belongs to his father?
4. Which road do the Johnson's live on?
5. Which member of the Spring family answers the phone in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Johnson's take Janie out for pizza? What are they attempting to do?
2. Explain how and why Janie travels to New Jersey.
3. What is Janie's realization about her relationship with Reeve toward the end of the novel? Explain.
4. How do the Johnsons react to the news of the Springs? Explain.
5. What does Janie use her notebook for?
6. Janie sees three boys outside of the Spring home. What are her thoughts on them, and what other memories do they spark in Janie's mind?
7. Explain what is lacking from the Johnson's explanation of the past.
8. How does the novel end? Explain.
9. Describe the argument between Janie and Reeve in chapter 16.
10. Why do Janie and Reeve decide against staying in the motel together/
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Janie's relationship with her parents depicted at the beginning of the book? Use in text citations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Does Janie seem to desire a relationship with her real family? Or is it just knowledge of the truth she desires? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel there are many symbols of Janie's tarnished childhood. What are they and how do they lend to the theme that Janie's childhood is tainted?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)