|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the novel, Janie realizes that she places __________ before Reeve.
2. Janie remembers a woman wearing this, with candy in the pockets.
3. Janie feels this emotion over ending her relationship with Reeve.
4. In which chapter does Reeve's and Janie's relationship take a more serious turn?
5. In which chapter does Janie truly begin to confide in Reeve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie use her notebook for?
2. Why does Janie begin shredding the milk carton in chapter 16?
3. Why is Janie relieved that the Johnsons are screaming at her?
4. What idea does the New York Times give Janie?
5. Explain how and why Janie travels to New Jersey.
6. Janie sees three boys outside of the Spring home. What are her thoughts on them, and what other memories do they spark in Janie's mind?
7. How does the accidental mailing of Janie's letter to the Springs a type of resolution?
8. What happens when Reeve and Janie come home to in chapter 12?
9. What might "attention" have to do with Janie's kidnapping, as supposed by Janie?
10. What is Reeve's explanation of Janie's kidnapping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Janie's notebook serve as type of catharsis for Janie?
Essay Topic 2
Lizzy is first introduced in the novel as someone that Janie is not very fond of. By the end of the novel, Lizzy's role changes completely. What is Lizzy's role by the end of the novel? Explain the contrast in her character from the beginning versus her role in the end.
Essay Topic 3
How does food act as a symbol of the status of the family unit throughout the novel?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)