|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 13, Janie's grandmother is afraid to leave the house to _____________, because she is unsure if Janie leaves.
2. What does Janie expose when she drops her book bag on the floor?
3. Who does Reeve drive home with instead of Janie in chapter 17?
4. The Johnsons are ___________ when they learn that Janie runs away.
5. Janie feels this emotion over ending her relationship with Reeve.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Reeve and Janie come home to in chapter 12?
2. What idea does the New York Times give Janie?
3. Janie sees three boys outside of the Spring home. What are her thoughts on them, and what other memories do they spark in Janie's mind?
4. Why is Janie relieved that the Johnsons are screaming at her?
5. What does Janie use her notebook for?
6. Describe the argument between Janie and Reeve in chapter 16.
7. Explain the contrast present between Janie's relationship with Reeve and Janie's relationship with her family.
8. Does Janie believe that the Johnson's kidnap her, even after hearing the truth about the past? Explain.
9. How does the novel end? Explain.
10. What suggests that Janie wants to, and plans on, spending the night with Reeve in the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Janie's notebook serve as type of catharsis for Janie?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the most prominent theme or lesson in the book? Why does the author write this book? What is she trying to convey to readers?
Essay Topic 3
How is Janie's relationship with her parents depicted at the beginning of the book? Use in text citations to support your claims.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)