|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which member of the Spring family answers the phone in chapter 18?
(a) Jennie Spring.
(b) Hannah Spring.
(c) Mrs. Spring.
(d) Mr. Spring.
2. Janie's struggle between ________________ and adulthood is a theme throughout the novel.
(c) Sexual purity.
3. Which word best describes how Janie is feeling after finding out that Reeve confides her secret in someone else?
4. Janie looks for information on whom, in chapter 13?
(a) Miranda Javenson.
(b) Jennie Spring.
(c) Hannah Johnson.
(d) Debbie Spring.
5. In Janie's case, youthful innocence is directly proportional to what?
(a) Sexual purity.
(c) Religious faith.
(d) Trusting the Johnsons.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which class does Janie finally rip the pages out of her notebook, out of frustration?
2. Who does Reeve drive home with instead of Janie in chapter 17?
3. Which character acts as a mediator between the Johnsons and Janie?
4. Who has Reeve confided in regarding Janie's situation?
5. How many questions does Janie ask her parents the next day after she has time to think about the truths they tell her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what is lacking from the Johnson's explanation of the past.
2. What does Janie use her notebook for?
3. How does Reeve perceive Janie's thoughts about the milk carton?
4. What does Reeve tell Janie in chapter 11, about his relationship with his siblings? Why is Janie unable to concentrate on what he is telling her?
5. Why does Janie begin shredding the milk carton in chapter 16?
6. How does food serve as a symbol of the state of the family unit?
7. Why do Janie and Reeve decide against staying in the motel together/
8. Why does Janie wait to pursue an adult relationship with Reeve?
9. Why do the Johnson's take Janie out for pizza? What are they attempting to do?
10. What is Janie's realization about her relationship with Reeve toward the end of the novel? Explain.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)