|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sam witness in the creature?
2. What are the higher classes of the Incas called?
3. What did Sam do that reflected his frustration with the Incas?
4. What kind of brakes did the plane have?
5. What is the Church's attempting to do regarding the substance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was everyone instructed not to comment to the press?
2. What kinds of things did the group notice regarding the cave creatures?
3. Describe the temple.
4. How did Ralph die?
5. Why did Ruiz and his group of Inquisitors maintain the laboratory and what did Henry find crazy about it?
6. What kinds of things did Joan learn regarding the Substance Z/Satan's Blood?
7. What had brought up the feelings of loss in Henry?
8. What opportunity did Norman offer Denal and why was Denal likely to accept?
9. What is the "place of the pit"?
10. Why was Sam careful not to move too much on the plane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan and Henry as characters. What are their strengths and weaknesses? Who is the stronger character overall and why? Does this become debatable as the novel progresses? How or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Substance Z. What characteristics gave it an impossible composition? How do these characteristics serve the needs of the substance? Does it serve the needs of the mallaqui, if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Friar Otera and Abbot Ruiz. What are their motivations? Are they similar? In what ways are they different? Are either of them men of principle? How or why not?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)