|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of house does Lief have?
2. How many parties does Speedo go to to find the item he gives to Mary?
3. Who leads Lief, Allie, and Nick to the observation deck?
4. What does Mary trade to Speedo?
5. How many kids does Johnnie-O bring with him to meet Allie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick think Mary will receive him, after he returns from the Haunter?
2. What does Mary advise Afterlights to do to keep their appearance?
3. Why doesn't Nick confront Mary about what Allie has shown him about the children living in the World Trade Center?
4. What rooms do Allie, Nick, and Lief choose?
5. What happened when Mary went home after her death?
6. What does Speedo bring to Mary?
7. What does Allie do, when Mary refuses to help Nick and Lief?
8. How does Lief feel, trapped alone in the barrel?
9. What does Allie find inside the Waldorf-Astoria?
10. What causes the car accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Everlost, Allie seeks knowledge, whereas Mary values safety. Their conflicting viewpoints are the root of much of the conflict in the novel. Discuss the conflict of knowledge and safety in the novel.
Part 1) What kind of trouble does Allie's search for knowledge bring her? Is the search for knowledge worthwhile?
Part 2) What problems does Mary's desire for safety cause? Is her desire for safety worthwhile?
Part 3) How do Allie's desire for knowledge and Mary's desire for safety affect others? How do they create conflict?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of monsters in Everlost.
Part 1) How do children in Everlost become monsters? What defines them as monsters?
Part 2) Are monsters defined by how others view them (for example, children believing the McGill is a monster), or how they view themselves (for example, the McGill believing himself a monster)?
Part 3) How are monsters an important part of Everlost, and what role do they play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Negotiation and bargaining is an important aspect of the way that characters with conflicting goals deal with each other. Particularly, Allie uses negotiation and bargaining to get help from characters with more power than she has. Choose three instances of discussion and bargaining in the novel. Discuss their importance and consequence.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)