|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary feel about being called Mary, Queen of Snots?
2. What does Allie grab onto, as she heads through a tunnel toward the light?
3. What kind of house does Lief have?
4. What are the girls who first talk to Allie, Lief, and Nick at the World Trade Center doing?
5. How many days does it take Allie and Nick to get out of the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lief tell Allie and Nick about the "others"?
2. What does Allie notice about the children living with Mary in the World Trade Center?
3. How does Nick think Mary will receive him, after he returns from the Haunter?
4. Why doesn't Johnnie-O want to cross the Washington Bridge?
5. What happened when Mary went home after her death?
6. What does Mary advise Afterlights to do to keep their appearance?
7. How does Lief feel, trapped alone in the barrel?
8. What was the forest like when it was alive?
9. What does Lief think about God?
10. Why doesn't Nick confront Mary about what Allie has shown him about the children living in the World Trade Center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the states that Afterlights find themselves in during the novel. Choose an example of a character trying to explore and understand the external world, an example of a character exploring and changing his or her internal life, and an example of a character stuck in a "rut." Compare these three states, their causes, and consequences.
Essay Topic 2
Mary takes authority over others in Everlost, as does the McGill. Discuss authority in the novel, drawing conclusions about what gives characters authority and when authority is or is not deserved.
Part 1) How does Mary put herself in authority over the children at the Twin Towers? Is her authority deserved?
Part 2) How do Mary's books give her authority? Do her beliefs have more power and authority because she writes them down? Is this authority deserved?
Part 3) How does the McGill take authority over others, and how does his authority differ from Mary's? Is his authority deserved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the fear of the unknown in Everlost, including how characters' past experiences affect their fears of the unknown.
Part 1) The coins represent the unknown to Mary. Why does she fear them?
Part 2) How does Allie approach the unknown in the novel? Does she show fear of the unknown?
Part 3) Why does the McGill fear the unknown of crossing into the afterlife? How does his fear compare to Mary's?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)