|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the McGill think he smells on the deck, after dealing with the captives?
(c) Rotten eggs.
2. What is the McGill and Allie's joint fortune about?
3. Where did the Marine Sulphur Queen vanish?
(a) Off the coast of Maine.
(b) Off the coast of New York.
(c) Off the coat of Florida.
(d) Off the coast of South Carolina.
4. How does Nick feel about Mary at the end of the story?
(a) He is jealous of her.
(b) He feels cold and uncaring toward her.
(c) He still loves her.
(d) He hates her.
5. Where is the McGill, when Allie goes searching for his fortune cookies?
(a) On the coast of Maine.
(b) On the coast of New Jersey.
(c) On the coast of Florida.
(d) On the coast of South Carolina.
6. Where do Nick and Lief end up, after running from the ship's crew?
(a) In the galley.
(b) In the engine room.
(c) In the hold.
(d) In the medical bay.
7. How does the McGill feel about running across Allie?
8. What kind of animal is Shiloh?
(a) A horse.
(b) A cat.
(c) A beaver.
(d) An elephant.
9. What is the old man in the engine room doing?
(a) Drinking coffee.
(b) Watching TV.
(c) Reading a paper.
(d) Repairing a pipe.
10. What does the old man balk at doing?
(a) Taking control of the ferry.
(b) Radioing the docks.
(c) Walkig into the pilot room.
(d) Stopping the ferry.
11. What does the McGill consult to find out how to do an unselfish act?
(a) Mary's books.
(b) Tea leaves.
(c) A fortune cookie.
(d) A religious tome.
12. Where did Allie grow up?
(c) Cape May.
(d) Atlantic City.
13. What name does the McGill call Mary?
14. Nick compares the living world to _____________.
(a) A movie projected on a screen.
(b) Impressionist paintings.
(c) A radio broadcast from far away, filled with static.
(d) Shadows flickering in firelight.
15. What happens when Nick starts swinging himself like a pendulum?
(a) He breaks his rope.
(b) He accomplishes nothing.
(c) He grabs onto a higher rope.
(d) He gets entangled with Lief.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many occupants does the McGill find in the fourteen barrels?
2. Who does Mary leave in charge of the Twin Towers?
3. What name does Mary come up with for Nick?
4. How many holds are there in the McGill's ship?
5. How does Nick manage to cut his rope?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)