|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Mr Brooks teach?
2. What does Alfred demand in his letters?
3. Which of the following classes does Temple find difficult?
4. What does Temple become famous as at college?
5. Who does Carlock say Temple needs to experiment with to see if the machine works?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Temple get over her nerves when she goes home for Christmas?
2. Why does Temple feel guilty about the machine she builds in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Temple fixate on the sliding glass door in Chapter 11?
4. What does Temple find out about brain surgery research in Chapter 13?
5. What does Temple discover about touching in Chapter 12?
6. How does Temple learn to stop hitting people?
7. Describe the boarding school Temple is enrolled at in Chapter 8.
8. Why does Temple think she suffers from nerve attacks?
9. Why does Temple do badly on the oral direction sub-test?
10. Why is it important to encourage an autistic's interests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Temple's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Temple's style give to her story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Temple uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Temple use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)