|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following can trigger a attack of the nerves?
2. Which of the following is a school that encourages Kinesthetic learning?
3. What is the name of Temple's occupational therapist friend?
4. What kind of language does Temple say autistics use?
5. What best describes the door that Temple finds in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Temple find temporary relief from her nerve attacks?
2. How does Temple's machine help her?
3. How does Temple get over her nerves when she goes home for Christmas?
4. How does Temple use visual images to help her in daily life?
5. Why does Temple feel guilty about the machine she builds in Chapter 10?
6. How does Temple learn to stop hitting people?
7. How can fixations be used to help an autistic child?
8. How does Mr Brookes help Temple in Chapter 9?
9. What does Temple's mother say in her letter to her daughter?
10. Why is it important to encourage an autistic's interests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how each of the following aided Temple in her recovery against manic depression"
Essay Topic 2
Emergence was written in 1986. Choose one of the following options and discuss how ideas have developed since then:
1) The use of medication
2) Educating autistics
3) The encouragement of fixations
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Temple uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)