|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple's mother say machines cannot do?
2. Who sends Temple a letter in this chapter?
3. What kind of language does Temple say autistics use?
4. Which of the following classes does Temple find difficult?
5. What are Temple' s itches caused by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the boarding school Temple is enrolled at in Chapter 8.
2. What does Lorna King say in her letter to Temple?
3. How does Temple feel about her mother's letter?
4. Why does Temple think spinning is good for autistic children?
5. What does Temple find out about brain surgery research in Chapter 13?
6. How can fixations be used to help an autistic child?
7. How are things getting better for Temple?
8. Why does Temple do badly on the oral direction sub-test?
9. What does Temple's mother say in her letter to her daughter?
10. Why does Temple feel guilty about the machine she builds in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why autism is connected with creativity and original thought.
Essay Topic 2
How was autism viewed in the Sixties? How is autism viewed today?
Essay Topic 3
How important is it to the study of autism that the illness is addressed by a sufferer? Can someone who does not suffer from the illness ever truly understand its complexity?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)