|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Temple' s itches caused by?
2. What is the name of the machine Temple builds in this chapter?
3. Which of the following classes does Temple find difficult?
4. What does Temple build after graduation?
5. What does Miss Downey take away from Temple to help her to behave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Temple discover about touching in Chapter 12?
2. Where does Temple find temporary relief from her nerve attacks?
3. Why does Temple fixate on the sliding glass door in Chapter 11?
4. How does Temple use visual images to help her in daily life?
5. How does Temple feel when she finally walks through the sliding door?
6. How does Mr Brookes help Temple in Chapter 9?
7. What does Temple find out about brain surgery research in Chapter 13?
8. How are things getting better for Temple?
9. What does Lorna King say in her letter to Temple?
10. How does Temple try and help the animals she works with in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emergence was written in 1986. Choose one of the following options and discuss how ideas have developed since then:
1) The use of medication
2) Educating autistics
3) The encouragement of fixations
Essay Topic 2
In 500 words, and using examples from the book, discuss the difference between Temple's life when she was not in control of her illness to when you did gain control.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Temple's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Temple's style give to her story?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)