|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the sliding door lead to?
2. What does Temple's mother say machines cannot do?
3. Which of the following is a function of the right side of the brain?
4. What do psychiatrists refer to the machine as?
5. When does Temple say her nerve attacks stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Temple feel guilty about the machine she builds in Chapter 10?
2. How does Temple feel when she finally walks through the sliding door?
3. How does Temple use visual images to help her in daily life?
4. Why does Temple think she suffers from nerve attacks?
5. How does Temple feel about her mother's letter?
6. How does Mr Brookes help Temple in Chapter 9?
7. Why should people be cautious when introducing autistic children to pets?
8. How are things getting better for Temple?
9. What does Temple discover about touching in Chapter 12?
10. What does Lorna King say in her letter to Temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Temple's book important in changing people's perceptions of mental illness? How much does it help that she is a well established doctor? What dangers are there in people connecting such illnesses with high achievers?
Essay Topic 2
How was autism viewed in the Sixties? How is autism viewed today?
Essay Topic 3
How much do you think Temple changed positive representations of autism? What positive impact have Temple's ideas had on society? Do you think Temple's ideas have had any negative impacts?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)