|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple's teacher smell of?
2. Which of the following classes does Temple say she does well in?
3. What does Temple call the behaviors of an autistic?
4. How does Rimland stop Temple from being loud?
5. What does Temple say her teacher's face is like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlock think Temple is unique?
2. What reason does Temple give for writing this book?
3. What does Carlock point out as Temple's good points?
4. How does Temple define autism?
5. What does Temple say in her talks with the psychiatrist?
6. Describe how Temple almost killed her mother and sister.
7. Why is Temple surprised that she is invited back to her old school in Vermont?
8. In what way does Temple process information differently from other children?
9. What does Temple's mother say about Temple in her letter to a psychologist?
10. How does Temple react when the glass from the car window falls on her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Temple uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the people Temple mentions in the book and discuss how he/she helped Temple to recover. Could Temple have survived without his/her support?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why autism is connected with creativity and original thought.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)