|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Temple's mother write to in this chapter?
2. What does Temple say autistic children are overwhelmed by?
3. Why does Temple's mother lose control of the car?
4. Which of the following TV series does Temple say she enjoys?
5. What does Temple begin to imagine in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Temple process information differently from other children?
2. What does Temple remember about her junior high school days?
3. What is perserveration?
4. Why does Temple think she excels at creative subjects?
5. Why is Temple expelled from school in Chapter 7?
6. How does autism affect Temple's speech?
7. Why does Temple need pressure stimulation on her body?
8. What does Bernard Rimland note about Temple's autism in the foreword?
9. How does Temple cope at private school?
10. In what way was Temple a difficult child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine autism as described in the book.
1) How does an autistic think compared to a more normal person?
2) How can an autistic learn differently?
3) Define a stable state of mind.
Essay Topic 2
How was autism viewed in the Sixties? How is autism viewed today?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Temple's life and how did they change her? What does Temple still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)