|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Rimland specialize in?
2. Why do some experts think that Temple was not an autistic?
3. How does Temple diagnose autism?
4. Why is Temple surprised that she is invited to the reunion?
5. What does Temple's mother say Temple is motivated by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is William Carlock?
2. What does Temple's mother say about Temple in her letter to a psychologist?
3. Why is Temple surprised that she is invited back to her old school in Vermont?
4. What does Carlock point out as Temple's good points?
5. What causes autism?
6. What does Temple's mother's letter say about her mother's character and feelings towards her daughter?
7. What impresses Rimland about Temple?
8. How does Temple cope at private school?
9. How does Rimland control Temple's behavior?
10. Why does Temple think she excels at creative subjects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Temple's book important in changing people's perceptions of mental illness? How much does it help that she is a well established doctor? What dangers are there in people connecting such illnesses with high achievers?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Temple's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Temple's style give to her story?
Essay Topic 3
How important is it to the study of autism that the illness is addressed by a sufferer? Can someone who does not suffer from the illness ever truly understand its complexity?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)