|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple try to do with the hat?
2. What does Temple say her teacher's face is like?
3. Which of the following is is a typical stressor for an autistic child?
4. Who does Rimland take with him and Temple when they go for lunch?
5. Which of the following does Carlock not say Temple is good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Temple think she excels at creative subjects?
2. What is perserveration?
3. How does Temple manage to endear herself to the other students?
4. How does Temple cope at private school?
5. What does Bernard Rimland note about Temple's autism in the foreword?
6. How does Rimland control Temple's behavior?
7. Why is Temple surprised that she is invited back to her old school in Vermont?
8. Describe how Temple almost killed her mother and sister.
9. What does Temple's mother say about Temple in her letter to a psychologist?
10. Why does Carlock think Temple is unique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Temple uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options and discuss how Temple's illness affected that particular area in her life:
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 3
How was autism viewed in the Sixties? How is autism viewed today?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)