|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple say she would not allow her mother to do when she was six-months-old?
2. Why does Temple attract attention at the restaurant?
3. What does Temple say she cannot get as a child?
4. What is wrong about the poem?
5. What kind of world does Temple say she lived in as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Temple remember about her junior high school days?
2. Why does Temple think she excels at creative subjects?
3. How does Temple define autism?
4. How does Temple react when the glass from the car window falls on her?
5. What does Carlock point out as Temple's good points?
6. In what way does Temple misbehave at private school?
7. What reason does Temple give for writing this book?
8. In what way does Temple process information differently from other children?
9. How does Temple manage to endear herself to the other students?
10. What is perserveration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was autism viewed in the Sixties? How is autism viewed today?
Essay Topic 2
Emergence was written in 1986. Choose one of the following options and discuss how ideas have developed since then:
1) The use of medication
2) Educating autistics
3) The encouragement of fixations
Essay Topic 3
Examine Temple's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Temple's style give to her story?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)