|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following TV series does Temple say she enjoys?
2. What happens to neurons in the brain of an autistic?
3. Who is Temple shy to meet when she arrives at camp?
4. What does Temple say her teacher's face is like?
5. What does Temple say she used to do to the other kids at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Temple need pressure stimulation on her body?
2. What does Temple's mother say about Temple in her letter to a psychologist?
3. In what way was Temple a difficult child?
4. How does Temple manage to endear herself to the other students?
5. Why does Temple think she excels at creative subjects?
6. What is perserveration?
7. What causes autism?
8. Who is William Carlock?
9. What does Temple's mother's letter say about her mother's character and feelings towards her daughter?
10. What reason does Temple give for writing this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following options and discuss how Temple's illness affected that particular area in her life:
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 2
Examine autism as described in the book.
1) How does an autistic think compared to a more normal person?
2) How can an autistic learn differently?
3) Define a stable state of mind.
Essay Topic 3
Emergence was written in 1986. Choose one of the following options and discuss how ideas have developed since then:
1) The use of medication
2) Educating autistics
3) The encouragement of fixations
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)