|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Temple's speech therapist?
2. Who is Temple shy to meet when she arrives at camp?
3. Why does Rimland say he is interested in Temple?
4. Who does Temple say she almost killed?
5. What does Temple call the behaviors of an autistic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlock think Temple is unique?
2. What is perserveration?
3. Why does Temple think she excels at creative subjects?
4. What does Temple's mother say about Temple in her letter to a psychologist?
5. In what way was Temple a difficult child?
6. How does Temple get into trouble at Summer camp?
7. How does Rimland control Temple's behavior?
8. Why does Temple need pressure stimulation on her body?
9. What impresses Rimland about Temple?
10. In what way does Temple process information differently from other children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Temple uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 2
How much do you think Temple changed positive representations of autism? What positive impact have Temple's ideas had on society? Do you think Temple's ideas have had any negative impacts?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Temple's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Temple's style give to her story?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)