|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rimland stop Temple from being loud?
2. Who does Temple say she almost killed?
3. Which of the following does Carlock not say Temple is good at?
4. Why does Rimland say he is interested in Temple?
5. What does Temple say she cannot get as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Temple almost killed her mother and sister.
2. Who is William Carlock?
3. What does Carlock say Temple's success proves?
4. What does Carlock point out as Temple's good points?
5. What causes autism?
6. What does Bernard Rimland note about Temple's autism in the foreword?
7. What does Temple's mother say about Temple in her letter to a psychologist?
8. How does Rimland control Temple's behavior?
9. How does Temple manage to endear herself to the other students?
10. What impresses Rimland about Temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Temple use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Temple uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the people Temple mentions in the book and discuss how he/she helped Temple to recover. Could Temple have survived without his/her support?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)