|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple say she hides?
2. Which bodily system does autism affect?
3. What does Carlock think of Temple's questions and interests?
4. What does Temple make with paper?
5. Which of the following can a lack of touch cause?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlock point out as Temple's good points?
2. Describe how Temple almost killed her mother and sister.
3. How does Temple cope at private school?
4. What does Temple remember about her junior high school days?
5. What causes autism?
6. What does Bernard Rimland note about Temple's autism in the foreword?
7. What does Carlock say Temple's success proves?
8. What is perserveration?
9. Why is Temple expelled from school in Chapter 7?
10. Why is Temple surprised that she is invited back to her old school in Vermont?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a famous autistic.
1) What has he/she contributed to society?
2) How has his/her autism helped him/her to become successful?
Essay Topic 2
How much do you think Temple changed positive representations of autism? What positive impact have Temple's ideas had on society? Do you think Temple's ideas have had any negative impacts?
Essay Topic 3
Emergence was written in 1986. Choose one of the following options and discuss how ideas have developed since then:
1) The use of medication
2) Educating autistics
3) The encouragement of fixations
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)