|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple's mother use to record Temple's life?
2. How does Temple describe her teachers in this chapter?
3. What does Carlock think of Temple's questions and interests?
4. How does Rimland stop Temple from being loud?
5. What word does Temple repeat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlock think Temple is unique?
2. What reason does Temple give for writing this book?
3. What impresses Rimland about Temple?
4. What does Temple's mother say about Temple in her letter to a psychologist?
5. Describe how Temple almost killed her mother and sister.
6. What does Temple remember about her junior high school days?
7. In what way does Temple process information differently from other children?
8. What does Temple say in her talks with the psychiatrist?
9. In what way was Temple a difficult child?
10. How does Temple cope at private school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two sub-levels of autism and discuss the following:
1) The symptons and the problems it causes for the sufferer
2) How a sufferer is treated
Essay Topic 2
How is Temple's book important in changing people's perceptions of mental illness? How much does it help that she is a well established doctor? What dangers are there in people connecting such illnesses with high achievers?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Temple uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)