Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
2. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
3. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
4. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
5. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
Who is Mrs. Holton? What sets her apart from the others in Buxton? Who works for Mrs. Holton? Why does he say he does not mind working for Mrs. Holton even though he is doing similar work to what he did as a slave? For what is Mrs. Holton saving her money? Why does she eventually give this money to someone else? How does this act show the compassion among the former slaves in contrast to the cruelty shown by white slave holders?
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Why do many of the parents in Buxton not know how to read or write? What do they plan to do about it? Why do the children of Buxton attend school? What is significant about this accomplishment for these children? Does their education have special meaning for their parents? For what reason?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)