|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Leroy call the preacher that Elijah continues to think of him as in chapter 21?
2. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
3. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
4. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
5. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
2. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
3. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
4. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
5. What is significant about Emma Collins?
6. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
7. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
8. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
9. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
10. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Holton? What sets her apart from the others in Buxton? Who works for Mrs. Holton? Why does he say he does not mind working for Mrs. Holton even though he is doing similar work to what he did as a slave? For what is Mrs. Holton saving her money? Why does she eventually give this money to someone else? How does this act show the compassion among the former slaves in contrast to the cruelty shown by white slave holders?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)