|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
2. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
3. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
4. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
5. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Brown? Why does Elijah mention her? What terrible loss did Mrs. Brown suffer? How does she deal with this loss? How does Elijah feel about this loss? Why does Elijah go to visit Mrs. Brown? How does Elijah compare Mrs. Brown to his own mother? What does this suggest about the community of Buxton?
Essay Topic 2
Why do many of the parents in Buxton not know how to read or write? What do they plan to do about it? Why do the children of Buxton attend school? What is significant about this accomplishment for these children? Does their education have special meaning for their parents? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Elijah's parents. How long have they lived in Buxton? How old was Elijah's mother when she arrived in Buxton? Why did she go to Buxton? Why has she not seen her mother in a long time? Why do people come to Elijah's father to seek advice? What does this say about Elijah's parents? What kind of parents are these people? Have they raised Elijah well? How does the reader know this?
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)