|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
2. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
3. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
4. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
5. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do many of the parents in Buxton not know how to read or write? What do they plan to do about it? Why do the children of Buxton attend school? What is significant about this accomplishment for these children? Does their education have special meaning for their parents? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
What is Buxton? Where is it? What is the nature of the community? How was it started? Why did the writer chose to set his novel in this community? What is the history of this area? How does the author use it to develop his plot? How does the author use history to develop his characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)