|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
2. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
3. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
4. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
5. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
How does Mrs. Holton's husband die? How does she get the news? What is unusual about the way in which Mrs. Holton learns the news? What is the messenger requesting from Mrs. Holton? What does this say about Mrs. Holton's former life? What does it say about the life her husband was living? How does this episode illustrate the importance of Buxton and places like it?
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)