|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
2. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
3. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
4. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
5. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
2. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
3. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
4. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
5. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
6. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
7. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
8. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
9. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
10. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
Essay Topic 3
What is Buxton? Where is it? What is the nature of the community? How was it started? Why did the writer chose to set his novel in this community? What is the history of this area? How does the author use it to develop his plot? How does the author use history to develop his characters?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)