|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
2. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
3. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
4. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
5. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
2. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
3. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
4. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
5. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
6. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
7. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
8. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
9. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
10. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Holton? What sets her apart from the others in Buxton? Who works for Mrs. Holton? Why does he say he does not mind working for Mrs. Holton even though he is doing similar work to what he did as a slave? For what is Mrs. Holton saving her money? Why does she eventually give this money to someone else? How does this act show the compassion among the former slaves in contrast to the cruelty shown by white slave holders?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)