|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a notice in the post office window in Chatham tell Elijah to do?
2. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
3. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
4. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
5. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
2. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
3. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
4. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
5. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
6. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
7. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
8. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
9. What is significant about Emma Collins?
10. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Holton? What sets her apart from the others in Buxton? Who works for Mrs. Holton? Why does he say he does not mind working for Mrs. Holton even though he is doing similar work to what he did as a slave? For what is Mrs. Holton saving her money? Why does she eventually give this money to someone else? How does this act show the compassion among the former slaves in contrast to the cruelty shown by white slave holders?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)