|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
2. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
3. When does Mr. Leroy promise Elijah he will be back home?
4. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
5. What does Mr. Leroy say about Elijah when Mr. Freeman tells him to leave them alone in chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
2. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
3. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
4. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
5. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
6. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
7. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
8. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
9. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
10. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Brown? Why does Elijah mention her? What terrible loss did Mrs. Brown suffer? How does she deal with this loss? How does Elijah feel about this loss? Why does Elijah go to visit Mrs. Brown? How does Elijah compare Mrs. Brown to his own mother? What does this suggest about the community of Buxton?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Cooter? What kind of trouble does Cooter often find himself in? Why? Why does the schoolteacher dislike Cooter? Who is Cooter's best friend? What are some of the things they do together? How does this contrast with the childhoods these children's parents have had? Why do you think the author shows so much of these children's relatively carefree lives?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Mr. Leroy want Elijah to go with him to recover his money? What purpose did Mr. Leroy need Elijah to serve for him? What happens when Mr. Leroy and Elijah arrive in the small village where the preacher gambled away all of Mr. Leroy's money? Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is at the end? How does Mr. Leroy die? How does Elijah react to Mr. Leroy's death?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)