Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
2. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
3. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
4. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
5. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)