|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
2. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
3. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
4. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
5. Who is Benji Alston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
2. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
3. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
4. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
5. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
6. What is significant about Emma Collins?
7. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
8. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
9. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
10. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Elijah catch up to the preacher? Where does he find him? What has happened to the preacher? How does Elijah react to this? What does Elijah think the figures near the wall are when he first sees them? What danger do these figures pose for Elijah? What might have happened to Elijah in the stable? What does happen? How does Elijah return to Buxton? What does this say about the overall moral of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)