|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
2. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
3. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
4. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
5. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
Essay Topic 1
What is Buxton? Where is it? What is the nature of the community? How was it started? Why did the writer chose to set his novel in this community? What is the history of this area? How does the author use it to develop his plot? How does the author use history to develop his characters?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)