|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah prefer to ride mules, as he discusses in chapter 20?
2. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
3. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
4. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
5. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
2. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
3. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
4. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
5. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
6. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
7. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
8. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
9. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
10. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
Essay Topic 2
Why do many of the parents in Buxton not know how to read or write? What do they plan to do about it? Why do the children of Buxton attend school? What is significant about this accomplishment for these children? Does their education have special meaning for their parents? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)