|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
2. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
3. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
4. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
5. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Emma Collins?
2. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
3. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
4. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
5. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
6. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
7. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
8. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
9. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
10. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do many of the parents in Buxton not know how to read or write? What do they plan to do about it? Why do the children of Buxton attend school? What is significant about this accomplishment for these children? Does their education have special meaning for their parents? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)