|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
2. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
3. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
4. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
5. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
What are slavers, or slave chasers? Why do two of these people come toward Buxton? What happens to them? What does the community think happened to them? How do they feel about this? What danger do slavers pose for the people of Buxton? Is it possible for the people of Buxton to be forced back into slavery? Explain.
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)