|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
2. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
3. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
4. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
5. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
2. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
3. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
4. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
5. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
6. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
7. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
8. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
9. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
10. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Holton? What sets her apart from the others in Buxton? Who works for Mrs. Holton? Why does he say he does not mind working for Mrs. Holton even though he is doing similar work to what he did as a slave? For what is Mrs. Holton saving her money? Why does she eventually give this money to someone else? How does this act show the compassion among the former slaves in contrast to the cruelty shown by white slave holders?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)