Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
2. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
3. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
4. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
5. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
Essay Topic 1
What is Buxton? Where is it? What is the nature of the community? How was it started? Why did the writer chose to set his novel in this community? What is the history of this area? How does the author use it to develop his plot? How does the author use history to develop his characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
2) Mr. Leroy and Mrs. Holton
3) Mrs. Holton and Elijah's mother.
Essay Topic 3
What are slavers, or slave chasers? Why do two of these people come toward Buxton? What happens to them? What does the community think happened to them? How do they feel about this? What danger do slavers pose for the people of Buxton? Is it possible for the people of Buxton to be forced back into slavery? Explain.
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)