|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
2. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
3. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
4. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
5. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
2. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
3. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
4. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
5. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
6. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
7. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
8. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
9. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
10. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)