|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
2. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
3. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
4. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
5. Who is Benji Alston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
2. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
3. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
4. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
5. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
6. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
7. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
8. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
9. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
10. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Cooter? What kind of trouble does Cooter often find himself in? Why? Why does the schoolteacher dislike Cooter? Who is Cooter's best friend? What are some of the things they do together? How does this contrast with the childhoods these children's parents have had? Why do you think the author shows so much of these children's relatively carefree lives?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
Essay Topic 3
Why do many of the parents in Buxton not know how to read or write? What do they plan to do about it? Why do the children of Buxton attend school? What is significant about this accomplishment for these children? Does their education have special meaning for their parents? For what reason?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)