|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah regret drinking in the beginning of chapter 20?
2. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
3. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
4. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
5. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
2. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
3. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
4. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
5. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
6. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
7. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
8. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
9. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
10. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elijah's parents. How long have they lived in Buxton? How old was Elijah's mother when she arrived in Buxton? Why did she go to Buxton? Why has she not seen her mother in a long time? Why do people come to Elijah's father to seek advice? What does this say about Elijah's parents? What kind of parents are these people? Have they raised Elijah well? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)