|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mr. Leroy promise Elijah he will be back home?
2. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
3. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
4. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
5. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
2. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
3. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
4. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
5. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
6. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
7. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
8. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
9. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
10. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
2) Mr. Leroy and Mrs. Holton
3) Mrs. Holton and Elijah's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)