|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
2. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
3. When does Mr. Leroy promise Elijah he will be back home?
4. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
5. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
2. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
3. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
4. What is significant about Emma Collins?
5. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
6. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
7. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
8. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
9. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
10. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)