|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
2. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
3. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
4. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
5. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
2. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
3. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
4. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
5. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
6. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
7. What is significant about Emma Collins?
8. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
9. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
10. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Chloe? Where does Elijah meet her? Why can Elijah do nothing to help her? Why do the people in the little village not do anything to help Elijah save the people with Chloe? Why does Chloe give Elijah her baby and tell him how much she loves him? Why does Elijah decide to take the baby? What does he plan to do with the baby? What is the significance of the baby's name? What does this say about the overall moral of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mr. Leroy want Elijah to go with him to recover his money? What purpose did Mr. Leroy need Elijah to serve for him? What happens when Mr. Leroy and Elijah arrive in the small village where the preacher gambled away all of Mr. Leroy's money? Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is at the end? How does Mr. Leroy die? How does Elijah react to Mr. Leroy's death?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)