|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
2. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
3. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
4. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
5. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
2. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
3. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
4. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
5. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
6. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
7. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
8. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
9. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
10. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Elijah catch up to the preacher? Where does he find him? What has happened to the preacher? How does Elijah react to this? What does Elijah think the figures near the wall are when he first sees them? What danger do these figures pose for Elijah? What might have happened to Elijah in the stable? What does happen? How does Elijah return to Buxton? What does this say about the overall moral of the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Mrs. Holton's husband die? How does she get the news? What is unusual about the way in which Mrs. Holton learns the news? What is the messenger requesting from Mrs. Holton? What does this say about Mrs. Holton's former life? What does it say about the life her husband was living? How does this episode illustrate the importance of Buxton and places like it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)