|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
2. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
3. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
4. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
5. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
2. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
3. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
4. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
5. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
6. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
7. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
8. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
9. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
10. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are slavers, or slave chasers? Why do two of these people come toward Buxton? What happens to them? What does the community think happened to them? How do they feel about this? What danger do slavers pose for the people of Buxton? Is it possible for the people of Buxton to be forced back into slavery? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Holton? What sets her apart from the others in Buxton? Who works for Mrs. Holton? Why does he say he does not mind working for Mrs. Holton even though he is doing similar work to what he did as a slave? For what is Mrs. Holton saving her money? Why does she eventually give this money to someone else? How does this act show the compassion among the former slaves in contrast to the cruelty shown by white slave holders?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Chloe? Where does Elijah meet her? Why can Elijah do nothing to help her? Why do the people in the little village not do anything to help Elijah save the people with Chloe? Why does Chloe give Elijah her baby and tell him how much she loves him? Why does Elijah decide to take the baby? What does he plan to do with the baby? What is the significance of the baby's name? What does this say about the overall moral of the book?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)