|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
2. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
3. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
4. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
5. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
2. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
3. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
4. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
5. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
6. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
7. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
8. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
9. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
10. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do many of the parents in Buxton not know how to read or write? What do they plan to do about it? Why do the children of Buxton attend school? What is significant about this accomplishment for these children? Does their education have special meaning for their parents? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
Essay Topic 3
How does Elijah catch up to the preacher? Where does he find him? What has happened to the preacher? How does Elijah react to this? What does Elijah think the figures near the wall are when he first sees them? What danger do these figures pose for Elijah? What might have happened to Elijah in the stable? What does happen? How does Elijah return to Buxton? What does this say about the overall moral of the story?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)