|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
2. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
3. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
4. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
5. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
2. What is significant about Emma Collins?
3. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
4. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
5. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
6. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
7. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
8. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
9. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
10. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elijah's parents. How long have they lived in Buxton? How old was Elijah's mother when she arrived in Buxton? Why did she go to Buxton? Why has she not seen her mother in a long time? Why do people come to Elijah's father to seek advice? What does this say about Elijah's parents? What kind of parents are these people? Have they raised Elijah well? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)