|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
2. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
3. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
4. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
5. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
2. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
3. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
4. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
5. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
6. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
7. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
8. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
9. What is significant about Emma Collins?
10. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
2) Mr. Leroy and Mrs. Holton
3) Mrs. Holton and Elijah's mother.
Essay Topic 3
What is Buxton? Where is it? What is the nature of the community? How was it started? Why did the writer chose to set his novel in this community? What is the history of this area? How does the author use it to develop his plot? How does the author use history to develop his characters?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)