|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
2. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
3. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
4. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
5. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
2. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
3. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
4. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
5. What is significant about Emma Collins?
6. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
7. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
8. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
9. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
10. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Buxton? Where is it? What is the nature of the community? How was it started? Why did the writer chose to set his novel in this community? What is the history of this area? How does the author use it to develop his plot? How does the author use history to develop his characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does Elijah catch up to the preacher? Where does he find him? What has happened to the preacher? How does Elijah react to this? What does Elijah think the figures near the wall are when he first sees them? What danger do these figures pose for Elijah? What might have happened to Elijah in the stable? What does happen? How does Elijah return to Buxton? What does this say about the overall moral of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Cooter? What kind of trouble does Cooter often find himself in? Why? Why does the schoolteacher dislike Cooter? Who is Cooter's best friend? What are some of the things they do together? How does this contrast with the childhoods these children's parents have had? Why do you think the author shows so much of these children's relatively carefree lives?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)